PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of Life

keira_lover
12-08-2004, 01:44 AM
"Although a man may have no jurisdiction over the fact of his existence, he can hold supreme command over the meaning of existence for him."
-- Norman Cousins

It's an age old question that has plagued mankind for thousands of years: what is the true meaning of life? Is it simply to procreate and further our species or is it something much more complex than that? Is there even a meaning to our existance or are we here simply because our planet, due to the right conditions, was able to sprout life billions of years ago? For that matter, how did we even get here? Did some higher being create us or did something more "cosmic" than that occur? Let's open the floor for discussion.

DefyingGravity
12-08-2004, 01:55 AM
I am of the opinion that the meaning of life is finding the meaning of life.

frodo1511
12-08-2004, 01:57 AM
There are only 3 things that are certain in life:
Death,
Taxes,
and Cable rate increases.

Seriously, though, our species evolved from single celled organisms billions of years ago, caused by something called "the big bang". Over millenia, single celled beings evolved into multicellular creatures, into algae, plankton, fish, reptiles, dinosaurs, mammals, birds, apes, and finally, humans. Our species became what it is simply for survival, to kill rather then be killed. I know I will probably get hated on for not saying, "oh, we were created by a higher being, a God, if you will...." it's just that I tend to side with science over religion in topics like this.

Vertical Vortex
12-08-2004, 02:02 AM
We are a stage in this big plan named 'evolution'... like everything, we evolve in something different.

I live because I enjoy living...
Thats my purpose. Life is just too short

alby
12-08-2004, 03:57 AM
coming to terms with morality and finality

There are only 3 things that are certain in life

i'd add change to that list

Kelsey
12-08-2004, 05:32 AM
I wish I knew that answer. If I did, maybe I wouldn't have been where I've been, and done what I've done. The answer better come soon, because I'm starting to lose patiance.

Spire
12-08-2004, 05:35 AM
The meaning of life is to live. Sounds dumb, but let me explain. Just live your life, and not worry about shit like "what is the meaning of life?". If you spend your life thinking about stuff, you'll find that you wasted your life later on down the road. Spending you life thinking is a waste. Trust me, I've been there, that used to be all I did, was think about garbage, and I finally came to the life philosophy I'm at now. Just go have fun...

My life motto is "Drive fast and eat cheese".

DragonRat
12-08-2004, 05:35 AM
To seek and to find - that is the meaning of life. To find and to keep - that is the meaning of love.

You can all laugh at me; I made that one up myself in my senior year of high school.

Richard
12-08-2004, 05:40 AM
To seek and to find - that is the meaning of life. To find and to keep - that is the meaning of love.

You can all laugh at me; I made that one up myself in my senior year of high school.

No, it's good enough for me.

But it's actually: "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Narg
12-08-2004, 07:09 AM
there is no set meaning to life, fuck it, have fun, and above all - dont take shit too seriously.

Nick
12-08-2004, 07:39 AM
I generaly consider myself an evolutionist, I don't really believe in God or a higher being of any kind. However I think there is meaning to life if you want there to be meaning to your life. I don't think the meaning of life is the same for everyone, I think if you want there to be meaning you need to find your own meaning. I believe everyone has a skill or talent of some kind and you just need to find out what that talent or skill is and put it to good use and that will give your life meaning.
So in other words just do what ever makes you the happiest. If you can find an occupation that you really love than just stick with it, who cares how much money it makes. As long as it's something you're happy with than you'll have a much better life than those who make lots of money doing work they despise.

Sarah
12-08-2004, 10:07 AM
There is no meaning of life. We are alone.

duckula
12-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Jesus, your lord and saviour asks you to consider Dark Chocolate HobNobs as the ultimate meaning and purpose of life.

kilyncw
12-08-2004, 12:17 PM
everybody has a different meaning to their life, there is no ONE meaning of life, yes there are a few theories as to how we arrived, but me for one doesn't think we just spontaneously combusted therefore i am for the evolution theory. but that is just how we got here, that doesn't say what the purpose is. i personally feel that you never the meaning to your life until you've lived. there are times when you think you have an idea as to what your soul purpose is, i have come to believe that mine is to help people and make others happy. so far that is what i do. but it may not be what i am supposed to be doing. that is the beauty of it, i'll never know i just have to map it out myself and see where i go. life's awesome when you realize you are in control.
________
MAINE MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://maine.dispensaries.org/)

AureaMediocritas
12-08-2004, 02:34 PM
The meaning of life is simply reproduction , which is due to the fact that we are
nothing but extremely sophisticated animals...

Narzys
12-08-2004, 02:46 PM
There are thousends of books, written about it. I think there no right or false answer. I think you have to find out for you self!!! Start with questions like:

- When are you a good person
- What's important for you...

good luck :)

EmotionSickness
12-08-2004, 04:45 PM
And here I was thinking this was going to be a thread about Monty Python ... and it's not. Boooo.

As for the real "meaning of life", you won't find the answer to that one on any message board, dear. I could post some of my views on the subject-at-hand, but for fear of umm, persecution (yeah, let's call it that), I'm going to keep my mouth shut. :)

Hazzle
12-08-2004, 04:53 PM
I like DR's the best...the guy's a natural poet :D

frodo1511
12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
THE meaning of life is:

do whatever you want!

EmotionSickness
12-08-2004, 08:40 PM
THE meaning of life is:

do whatever you want!

Which, of course, would be the source of half the problems in the world today ... people who really think like that. I call it the selfish bastard's mantra.

:p

frodo1511
12-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Which, of course, would be the source of half the problems in the world today ... people who really think like that. I call it the selfish bastard's mantra.

I call it the cheap bastard's mantra.

"Live life however you want" is my philosophy, but I know better than to kill myself/others/blow up a building, or some shit like that.

acliff
12-08-2004, 08:50 PM

I concur.

Seriously striving to improve the quality of life of our children and ancestors is what I consider the meaning of life. Perhaps I'm just saying that from an Oriental parental point of view, but it seems like a duty to continue the species, and make it better.

The meaning of life is also this tub of smarties ice cream I have in front of me. And in a bit, the meaning of life will be this freshly squashed glass of orange juice I will soon be drinking. And every other little or large thing I will enjoy for the rest of my life. Why waste your time being unhappy about something?

Hazzle
12-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Because being happy is unnatural...if...no...WHEN I rule the world I will ban happiness and smiling will be a criminal act. You KNOW it makes sense.

Meaning of life...hmmm...to treat people well...love and care for people and especially kids...and I agree with Cliff's sentiment about trying to make the world a better place for the next generation. I happen to think the world's a pretty shit place right now...but it doesn't ALWAYS have to be (sadly human nature is a hard thing to overcome, though).