PDA

View Full Version : Garden State

DragonRat
11-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Ah, the best movie of the summer of 2004 (though I should say of its comedy-drama genre). Zach Braff looked emotionless, which was naturally the niche of his character. But I think Natalie Portman gives one of the prime performances of her career, and I wouldn't be surprised if she picked up a few nods by the time the Oscars roll by. The movie was written and directed rather well by Braff, I admit, and he has a real talent for pursuing a story about, as my friend commented, "real people".

And so, just as The Girl Next Door ignites my admiration for Elisha Cuthbert, so Garden State re-ignites my affectatious affections for Natalie Portman. Alas, as Ozma so eloquently quotes, "There's nothing...there's nothing...there's nothing I can do."

But yes, post your thoughts and comments on the movie.

EmotionSickness
11-08-2004, 07:43 PM
An excellent film, I thought. Zach Braff is another Woody Allen in the making (hehe). A superb debut.

And, of course, Natalie is as effervescent and quirky and cute (and all those wonderful things that she is) as always. This is her best performance since Marty in Beautiful Girls, and definitely my favorite Nat character since Marty. As for an Oscar nod, it's highly unlikely, especially for such a small film. I do think she (and others involved with the film) will get some Independent Spirit Award nods (and wins, most likely). I didn't think this was an Academy Award-caliber performance necessarily, but have you seen the trailer for her new film Closer? It's generating quite a bit of Oscar buzz for Nat (although, I don't think she'll win if she is nominated). And for the record, I think she was snubbed back in '99, not getting the nod for Anywhere But Here.

But, back to GS: the only word I can think, at the moment, of to sum it all up is "real". These characters were so palpable ... it was really a touching story.

I give it *** out of ****.

Jacoby
11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
I can't see the film till the 20th, when it opens in an independent film right around me. I can't wait though....I've been anxious to see this movie since it was a trailer on the Eternal Sunshine reel. 9 more days....

Elijahfan
11-08-2004, 10:57 PM
i've been wanting to see the movie since i saw the trailer online in july. thankfully it comes out this friday, the 13th, in minnesota. i've been visiting the website to see updates and i want to get the soundtrack but havent seen it anywhere yet

Kelsey
11-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Is this going to get released in all theaters eventually? The only place I can go to see it would be the CineArts in Walnut Creek about an hour and twenty minutes away, and with school I can't go over there.

DragonRat
12-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I was only able to see it at the Bridge in San Francisco, since the movie's on limited release. The theatre only shows one movie at a time, and I think it was rather worth the $9.50 to watch the movie. The soundtrack was excellent (I always consider the soundtrack as an important piece to any movie), and Braff's dry comedy was really unexpected, considering I have seen Anchorman, Dodgeball, and Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle (all three twice over the past few weeks). The quirky Woody Allen-esque wit compares favorably, though I still enjoy the stupidity of Anchorman, the slapstick of Dodgeball, and the stoner comedy of H&K.

frodo1511
12-08-2004, 01:37 AM
I really want to see Garden State(HUGE Zach Braff fan-love Scrubs), but it's only being shown in KC, and I really don't want to drive for an hour just to see it. Oh well, maby when it comes out on DVD.

Vertical Vortex
12-08-2004, 02:10 AM
i cant hardly wait to see Garden State.. only i dont have any clue when it comes out overhere in holland... The site of Garden State is very informative, with all the extra's.

hmm, i have to know when it comes out...
*goes googling*

bryan
12-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Garden State is going to get a nationwide release. I suppose we will all have to drive (or run) to the nearest independent theatre or wait until the dvd comes out.

deviljet88
12-08-2004, 12:51 PM
I have no bliddy idea what Garden State's plot is after watching the trailer, but I do want to see it now... Wonder when its coming out over here.

DragonRat
12-08-2004, 10:50 PM
For the purposes of edification, I'll write out the plot (just enough to entice, but also just enough to leave someone unsatisfied to watch it):

Andrew Largeman (Braff), a small-time actor, returns to his home in Newark, New Jersey, for his mother's funeral. In doing so, he meets up with his estranged father (Holm), a psychiatrist who has prescribed him a multitude of drugs since he was a teenager, a young eccentric girl (Portman), and his old childhood friends (Sarsgaard, etc.).

Elijahfan
12-08-2004, 11:54 PM
releasal dates have been posted on the website, fox-garden-state something.com or other. it's in braff's blog. the site is pretty cool but i have a slow connection so it sucked for me. i tried looking for the cd twice at target but they didnt have it. can't wait, it comes out tomorrow for my local cinema!

EmotionSickness
13-08-2004, 12:38 AM
The complete list of theaters that GS will be shown at in the month of August can be found by clicking here (http://www.foxsearchlight.com/gardenstate/gs_080404.pdf) (c/o FoxSearchlight.com).

Keep in mind that theaters are being added to that list often, so, if you're really desperate to see this film (as so many people are), keep checking back.

Vertical Vortex
13-08-2004, 01:15 AM
The complete list of theaters that GS will be shown at in the month of August can be found by clicking here (http://www.foxsearchlight.com/gardenstate/gs_080404.pdf) (c/o FoxSearchlight.com).

Keep in mind that theaters are being added to that list often, so, if you're really desperate to see this film (as so many people are), keep checking back.

thats only USA isnt it? Cant find anywhere some europian release dates >_<

Days_of_Flesh
15-08-2004, 03:06 AM
Dragon's too right.

Garden State is one of the best American movies--Indie, even--I've seen in recent years.

Braff's the man.

thats only USA isnt it? Cant find anywhere some europian release dates >_<

Check out Lions Gate Films and Miramax. One of them--can't remember which--is handling international distribution.

Oencross
15-08-2004, 07:52 AM
I FINALLY saw Garden State today. I enjoyed every minute of it. I liked the really dry humor and the interaction between Braff and Sarsgaard. One of my favorite scenes is when they're outside the canyon and they have this little jaunt of wits. Each parrying the other one's blows, until Sarsgaard says, "I'm going to kill that mother fucker." Braff, replies quite quickly, with a calm yet striking blow, "no pun intended. As to which Strasgard attacks him. It was just really a great scene for those two.

The second scene I really enjoyed is when Braff makes fun of Portman when they're alone together. Mocking her way of apologizing when he first meets her. It was just an altogether, very true to life scene between two people who enjoy each other's company.

The movie was very well done in my opinion. From a directorial point of view, the scene between Holm and Braff towards the very end of the movie when Braff is finally confronting his father is nicely done. He's not looking at the camera, and you can see (based on the camera location) he's looking directly at Holm and into his eyes, was just brilliantly played.

I have nothing but high praises for this movie. I loved all the tid bits in the film, which struck me as truths of reality when you've left your childhood home or your family. The loss of the "home" understanding and the changes in the lives of your friends. I had a lot to relate to and there were moments where I had defined thoughts of my relationships. I recommend that everyone see this movie. By far, one of the best movies of the summer.

Days_of_Flesh
15-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Well stated, Oen.

As with you, there was sooo much I liked about the movie, yet unlike you I didn't know where to begin.

I didn't even want to try...

Vertical Vortex
15-08-2004, 09:43 AM
I didn't even want to try...

How... unrespectfull..! ;)

I hate this shity place called Holland... Allways waiting when a movies comes out, and whole the world has allready had the chance to see it :mad:

Liam
15-08-2004, 11:40 AM
You guys got Star Wars yet? Its in 3 parts and the special effects are awesome. :p

Elijahfan
16-08-2004, 07:35 PM
i'm going to see Garden State right now, in fact i'm at a coffee shop with computers and internet waiting for the showing to start. i missed the earlier one. it finally started playing in minnesota this past week. i went looking for the soundtrack but practically everywheres out of it.

Edit: i saw Garden State, i thought it was one of the best movies of the year for me. i loved the parts with Peter Saargard (probably not spelled right) but i've been looking forward to his films since seeing him in Shattered Glass. i loved the scene where he flips Zach Braff on his head, i think someone has already mentioned it. the scenes with natalie portman were touching, like when she has to bury her hamster, it was funny when you see the graveyard of pets, but so sad. the end was good too, i dont want to give it away, but natalie portman was awesome. the music was extremely good. still can't find the soundtrack anywhere, major stores like best buy and target arent caring it, sam goody was the only place but they've sold out three times already and it's only been out for one week.

Mags
17-08-2004, 05:32 AM
The loss of the "home" understanding and the changes in the lives of your friends. I had a lot to relate to and there were moments where I had defined thoughts of my relationships. I recommend that everyone see this movie. By far, one of the best movies of the summer.

I just saw this movie and that's exactly what I loved about it. Braff says in the film, "Maybe that's all that family is...a group of people that miss the same imaginary place." And I've always felt like that...I have these memories, of a time I know can't be as flawless and golden as it seems in my head. I think any family with even a tiny bit of discord can understand that. And I can imagine that we'd all be happier if perhaps certain things hadn't happened, but that doesn't change the fact that we can't know that for sure. The whole thing is conjecture and I think that's a subtle point Braff managed to get across really well.

I basically loved this movie. I think Braff could definitely garner himself nominations for his screenplay and his direction, and I don't think making comparisons to Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's success with Good Will Hunting would be far off the mark. This film was excellent. Braff showed how talented he is, in a way he NEVER would be able to on Scrubs. It also highlighted once again, what an exceptional actress Natalie Portman. For serious, she's awesome, and she has been since Leon. She's done amazingly here. Peter Sarsgaard was incredible as well, and though I didn't like his character much during most of the movie, he make complete sense and I think that says something about Braff's abilities as a storyteller.

Hopefully I'll see it again tomorrow, once I've acquired the soundtrack as well. Anything that combines Coldplay and lyrics by the Postal Service is damn all right with me.

Jacoby
17-08-2004, 06:39 AM
lyrics by the Postal Service is damn all right with me.

Yes. Iron & Wine does the Postal Service cover which is GREAT. I'm a huge fan of Iron & Wine and all his work, he's a genius. Woot!

I'll edit in a review once I get to see this movie (this Friday.)

Jacoby
21-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Double posting and a revival of a 'dead' thread. Don't ban me...

This was hands-down the best movie of the year. It was so amazing. I love this movie and everyone that hasn't seen it must go see it now! Bah. I'm shaking.

frodo1511
21-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Double posting and a revival of a 'dead' thread. Don't ban me...

This was hands-down the best movie of the year. It was so amazing. I love this movie and everyone that hasn't seen it must go see it now! Bah. I'm shaking.

I think i'll wait for it on DVD, too damn lazy to drive 50 miles to see it in KC.

Renegade
21-08-2004, 03:15 AM
I think i'll wait for it on DVD, too damn lazy to drive 50 miles to see it in KC.

Shame.

I'm huge fan of Braff on Scrubs. Hilarious characters, quirky comedy, and a damn funny show overall. And Portman. Who doesn't love Natalie. Seriously. She's beauty at it's finest.

Well I'm seeing it tomorrow. Will be back with an opinion.

frodo1511
21-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Shame.

If gas was cheaper, then I might go. But alas, I'm forced to watch Star Wars and Scrub re-runs to get a quarter of my daily Garden State vitamins.