PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko rerelease

Elijahfan
24-06-2004, 05:11 AM
i'm a big fan of Donnie Darko, has anyone else seen that movie. it wasnt a hit when it first came out but now they are rereleasing it, the director's cut in theaters again this summer. i think it's already havent in the UK but not the US. if u've seen the rerelease, any comments (is it just the deleted and extend scenes from the dvd) and did you like it? or if you've seen the movie at all?

Sarah
24-06-2004, 09:46 AM
I've never seen the film before. Is it worth watching?

ryan
24-06-2004, 10:36 AM
the whole rabbit thing (and even just the sight of it) scares the shit outta me :p

nina
24-06-2004, 03:29 PM
the whole rabbit thing (and even just the sight of it) scares the shit outta me :p
me too! i had to hide behind a cushion evey time it came on.

Elijahfan
24-06-2004, 04:41 PM
yeah it's worth watching...though there are parts that are a little hard to understand (time travel, Frank the rabbit) but just go with the flow, it's more about the message.

i think the rabbit scares just about everyone...i was reading entertainment weekly around 1 am and i turned the page and there was a full page picture of the rabbit face. scared the shit out of me. turns out the magazine was doing an article about the rerelease and how it's a cult film.

Hazzle
24-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Pffft...Rabbit is NOT scary...and the movie is bloody awesome...everyone must watch it :)

Mandy
24-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Saw it at Best Buy the other day...I thought about getting it because of Jake Gyllenhaal, but then I saw the freaky looking rabbit thing, peed my pants and left it on the shelf. I bought Star Wars instead.

Pygmalion
25-06-2004, 01:15 AM
I LOVE that movie! We own it! no-no-notorious!

Elijahfan
25-06-2004, 01:55 AM
what?!?! the rabbit's scary...the creepy teeth and big eyes! freaks me out everytime... and donnie darko was on sale at best buy where i live but i didnt get it cause i'm broke

Louie
25-06-2004, 03:55 AM
The rabbit wasn't scary, I thought it was funny. Great movie, I really liked the whole time travel thing with the wormholes and stuff.

Elijahfan
25-06-2004, 03:58 AM
okay, but i'm still freaked by it. it is a great movie and has tons of stars in it, for a indie/low budget movie. wonderful music too, Mad World song, but too bad they dont have a soundtrack cd for it

Richard
25-06-2004, 04:04 AM
I actually saw this movie on HBO, but never really paid close attention to it. I am planning to buy it on DVD but not anytime soon. I'm waiting for the final release, I don't want to buy the version out now then later find out another is about to surface. Hate that.

Elijahfan
25-06-2004, 04:07 AM
me too, Richard, i was about to buy it since i saw it at Best Buy. cheap price too, like 10 dollars US but i'm holding out for the rereleased version. lol....just thinking about the movie and remember the part when Donnie starts to pleasure himself in front of the therapist. funny everytime

Hazzle
25-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Rabbit was pure comic genius...you lot are like people who find CLOWNS scary...

Pygmalion
26-06-2004, 03:26 AM
I'm with Hazzle. Frank (the rabbit) was SOOO cool!!! Specially in the movies when he took his head off and the guy had no eye....makes me want to watch it again

Hazzle
26-06-2004, 03:47 AM
This film is the dog's bollocks...all must watch it...now.

Renegade
01-12-2004, 03:15 AM
*5 month bump*

So I bought Darko for $10 at Best Buy last week. And after watching, I was really really really confused. Then I read the Philosophy of Time Travel, which is actually one of the DVD features. Then it all started to make sense. Overall, it's an interesting movie. The only thing that pissed me off is that my dvd always freezes on a certain scene...fucking Best Buy.

DefyingGravity
01-12-2004, 11:07 AM
I like this movie... it took a while to understand what it was talking about though. :icon_redf

Donnie Dorko
01-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Need I say that I love this movie? No, didn't think so :)

Pete
02-12-2004, 03:40 PM
ive got it on dvd, not sure why i bought it originally, but im very pleased that i did.... well worth watching - and yes the bunny still freaks me out every time i watch it....

i just want a copy of that book he gets from the teacher...

Jacoby
02-12-2004, 06:37 PM
ive got it on dvd, not sure why i bought it originally, but im very pleased that i did.... well worth watching - and yes the bunny still freaks me out every time i watch it....

i just want a copy of that book he gets from the teacher...

You can read the book online. Or, do you mean you just want a copy as a novelty item?

I too loved this movie. I heard about the thearetical re-release...but I guess it didn't come to any theatres near me. Oh well.

Narg
03-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Heres a present for those of you who like the film, and havent read the book and /or dont know what the fuck the movie is about:

The Philosophy Of Time Travel

Foreword
I would like to thank the sisters of the Saint John Chapter in Alexandria, Virginia for their support in my decision.
By the grace of God, they are:
Sister Eleanor Lewis
Sister Francesca Godard
Sister Helen Davis
Sister Catherine Arnold
Sister Mary Lee Pond
Sister Virginia Wessex
This intent of this book is for it to be used as a simple and direct guide in a time of great danger.
I pray that this is merely a work of fiction.
If it is not, then I pray for you, the reader of this book.
If I am still alive when the events foretold in these pages occur, then I hope that you will find me before it is too late.
Roberta Ann Sparrow
October, 1944

Chapter One: The Tangent Universe
The primary universe is fraught with great peril. War, plague, famine and natural disaster are common. Death comes to us all. The Fourth Dimension of Time is a stable construct, though it is not impenetrable. Incidents when the fabric of the fourth dime(n)sion becomes corrupted are incredibly rare.
If a Tangent Universe occurs, it will be highly unstable, sustaining itself for no longer than several weeks.
Eventually it will collapse upon itself, forming a black hole within the Primary Universe capable of destroying all existence.

Chapter Two: Water and Metal
Water and Metal are the key elements of Time Travel.
Water is the barrier element for the construction of Time Portals used as gateways between Universes at the Tangent Vortex.
Metal is the transitional element for the construction of Artifact Vessels.

Chapter Four: The Artifact And The Living
When a Tangent Universe occurs, those living nearest to the Vortex will find themselves at the epicenter of a dangerous new world.
Artifacts provide first sign that a Tangent Universe has occured. If an Artifact occurs, the Living will retrieve it with great interest and curiosity. Artifacts are formed from metal, such as an Arrowhead from an ancient Mayan civilisation, or a Metal Sword from Medieval Europe.
Artifacts returned to the Primary Universe are often linked to religious Iconography, as their appearance on Earth seems to defy logical explanation.
Divine intervention is deemed the only logical conclusion for the appearance for the Artifact.

Chapter Six: The Living Receiver
The Living Receiver is chosen to guide the Artifact into position for its journey back to the Primary Universe.
No one knows how or why a Receiver will be chosen.
The Living Receiver is often blessed with a Fourth Dimensional Powers. These include increased strength, telekinesis, mind control, and the ability to conjure fire and water.
The Living Receiver is often tormented by terrifying dreams, visions and auditory hallucinations during his time within the Tangent Universe.
Those surrounding the Living Receiver, known as the Manipulated, will fear him and try to destroy him.

Chapter Seven: The Manipulated Living
The Manipulated Living are often the close friends and neighbours of the Living Receiver.
They are prone to irrational, bizarre, and often violent behaviour. This is the unfortunate result of their task, which is to assist the Living Receiver in returning the Artifact to the Primary Universe.
The Manipulated Living will do anything to save themselves from Oblivion.

The Manipulated Dead
The Manipulated Dead are more powerful than the Living Receiver. If a person dies within the Tangent Dimension, they are able to contact the Living Receiver through the Fourth Dimensional Construct.
The Fourth Dimensional Construct is made of Water.
The Manipulated Dead will manipulate the Living Receiver using the Fourth Dimensional Construct (see Appendix A and B).
The Manipulated Dead will often set an Ensurance Trap for the Living Receiver to ensure that the Artifact is returned safely to the Primary Universe.
If the Ensurance Trap is succesful, the Living Receiver is left with no choice but to use his Fourth Dimensional Power to send the Artifact back in time into the Primary Universe before the Black Hole collapses upon itself.

Chapter Twelve: Dreams
When the Manipulated awaken from their Journey into the Tangent Universe, they are often haunted by the experience in their dreams.
Many of them will not remember.
Those who do remember the Journey are often overcome with profound remorse for the regretful actions buried within their Dreams, the only physical evidence buried within the Artifact itself; all that remains from the lost world.
Ancient myth tells us of the Mayan Warrior killed by an Arrowhead that had fallen from a cliff, where there was no Army, no enemy to be found.
We are told of the Medievel Knight mysteriously impaled by the sword he had not yet built.
We are told that these things occur for a reason.

Explantion
First of all, the Universe becomes unstable, that is when Donnie begins to be warned of the end of the world. From the book by Sparrow it says:
"If a Tangent Universe occurs, it will be highly unstable, sustaining itself for no longer than several weeks." In Donnies world, this is the 28 days to the end of the world.
Next you have WATER and METAL. The book states:
"Water is the barrier element for the construction of Time Portals used as gateways between Universes at the Tangent Vortex.
Metal is the transitional element for the construction of Artifact Vessels."
Okay, so that is why the bunny appears in what appears to be a water vortex/barrier element. Metal is the ARTIFACT that traveled through the time portal.
Next is the meaning of the engine falling into Donnie's room. Note the following, also from the book: "When a Tangent Universe occurs, those living nearest to the Vortex will find themselves at the epicenter of a dangerous new world. Artifacts provide the first sign that a Tangent Universe has occured."
The engine is the sign that the tangent universe began. It is a metal artifact. Book says, "their appearance on Earth seems to defy logical explanation."
Next is the receiver...which is DONNIE. The book says all of the following: "The Living Receiver is chosen to guide the Artifact into position for its journey back to the Primary Universe.
No one knows how or why a Receiver will be chosen.
The Living Receiver is often blessed with Fourth Dimensional Powers. These include increased strength, telekinesis, mind control, and the ability to conjure fire and water."
Donnie floods the school and burns down a house...conjuring fire and water. Heh heh...following so far?
Book goes on to say, "The Living Receiver is often tormented by terrifying dreams, visions and auditory hallucinations during his time within the Tangent Universe."
And what about the Bunny Rabbit Frank? Is he GOD? Read the book you guys. The book says:
"The Manipulated Dead are more powerful than the Living Receiver. If a person dies within the Tangent Dimension, they are able to contact the Living Receiver through the Fourth Dimensional Construct.
The Fourth Dimensional Construct is made of Water."
Hello? Anybody home? Frank the rabbit is the manipulated dead. He died within the fourth dimension and has contacted Donnie to make things right.
Lastly, is Donnie the first person to die or commit suicide for the good of his people? Nope. The book finishes with this:
"Ancient myth tells us the Mayan Warrior killed by an Arrowhead that had fallen from a cliff, where there was no Army, no enemy to be found.
We are told of the Medieval Knight mysteriously impaled by the sword he had not yet built.
We are told that these things occur for a reason."