PDA

View Full Version : College.

CFC
08-08-2004, 03:51 PM
I am working on two college essays this morning. I decided to procrastinate a little.

So where did you go to college or where do you want to go. If you did not go, why did you not?

Hazzle
08-08-2004, 04:09 PM
We brits call college somewhere you go between 16 and 18, and I assume you mean college in the American sense, which we call University...is this an open discussion, or one only for Americans? No, I'm not asking to be a pedant or a git, I'm asking to ensure that if this thread was about applying to US colleges and stuff that us non-Americans didn't steer it away from that...if it's just a general discussion of higher education then that's cool.

CFC
08-08-2004, 04:42 PM
College/University the term is used interchangeably here. This thread is open to everybody. I would really like to hear from people in the UK because St. Andrews in Scotland is one of the schools I am thinking about applying to.

Jacoby
08-08-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm planning on going to Pacific University right outside of Portland, Oregon. I'm going for creative writing/English literature. Good stuff. If I don't get into Pacific, I'll go to another university in that area. Lewis & Clark college perhaps. Still have my senior year in high school though...that should be fun.

Spire
08-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm going to a local community college for a year to get some easy credit, then heading to the University of North Texas for the long haul. Majoring in either English, Journalism, or Film.

keira_lover
08-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm going to a local community college for two years to get my AA then transfering to a four year college/university. Still not sure what college/university I want to go to or even what I want to major in, right now I'm thinking something along the lines of graphical design but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it.

Kelsey
08-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Probably Berkeley, but I am sending out my contact letters to the different production companies in Los Angeles I'm hoping to get a job with, and if that happens, I'm also applying to UCLA, and UC San Diego, plus the state schools like Fullerton, San Diego State, etc. etc.

I've got to work on my personal statements too. I wrote one draft for the three questions like....6 months ago, but I need to edit and fix and rewrite and all that good stuff.

Sarah
08-08-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm at Grimsby College (thats not a Uni, to all the Americans out there)

I'm not going to University, I'm (hopefully) going straight on to a trainee journalism scheme at the Grimsby Telegraph. Way-Hay.

frodo1511
08-08-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm going to go to a state college in two years, for two years(to get all the required shit out of the way), and then heading the the University of Michigan.
GO BLUE!!!

Hazzle
08-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Queen Mary's University, part of the University of London, did my bachelors there and looking set to fail my masters there too :p

Staying in London, added to the fact the Universities ARE really good...made it an easy choice :D

Richard
08-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Once I take my SATs I will enroll into a four-year college at Cal State University. If for some reason I fail, I shall take two years of Community college (sometime during that I'll retake the SATs, then transfer over.)

gracie
08-08-2004, 10:27 PM
im going to college as its expected. end of story. and as i was raised in a private school and my family has money and my school has connections its turned out to be a good one. whooo...

DragonRat
08-08-2004, 10:53 PM
MCB (Molecular & Cell Biology) major at UC Berkeley.

duckula
08-08-2004, 10:59 PM
I study car identification production in the london reform institution for the criminally insane.

barrington
08-08-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm orf to London Metropolitan University for a few years to do FdSc Aviation Management & Operations with Pilot Studies and train for my Commercial Pilots Licence.
The skys will never be safe again.

apoggy
08-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Bsc in Mathematics and Management at UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology), just going into my final year

acliff
08-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Meng Computer science with artificial intelligence
About to start the 2nd year of the 4 year course, not particularly motivated about it at this point.

Pygmalion
08-08-2004, 11:59 PM
I want to go to University of Sydney or USyd as its coloquially known, to do a bachelor of Arts. "Why USyd?" I hear you ask.
1. Location. Ie: its in sydney
2. Location Ie: its NOt in armidale
3. Location. Its in INNER sydney!

Oh. and the mark to get in's only 84. AWESOME.

Kelsey
09-08-2004, 01:59 AM
Once I take my SATs I will enroll into a four-year college at Cal State University. If for some reason I fail, I shall take two years of Community college (sometime during that I'll retake the SATs, then transfer over.)

Which CSUs are you looking at? I'm only wondering because I'm going to look at a few, but I've only thought of Fullerton, and San Diego,and want to see a few others so I know my options. Norcal is out of the question....No Chico or Stanislaus for me.

Richard
09-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Which CSUs are you looking at? I'm only wondering because I'm going to look at a few, but I've only thought of Fullerton, and San Diego,and want to see a few others so I know my options. Norcal is out of the question....No Chico or Stanislaus for me.

As of now, CSU Long Beach and/or CSU Los Angeles for me.

They're also:

CSU, Dominguez Hills (a couple of my friends are going there.)
CSU, Fresno
CSU, Hayward
CSU, Northridge
CSU, Sacramento
CSU, San Bernardino
CSU, San Jose
Cal Poly's good too.

I'm not too much in a hurry to move out during my first year. If there is anything I learned from teachers, it's to stay with your parents as long as you can. Not until you're 30 but at a good reasonable age.

Kelsey
09-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Oh...I didn't even realize there was a CSU Los Angeles (I can't believe it!), and I forgot about Northridge. Thanks. I'm taking a trip down south in a month or two to look at a few. I have my heart set on Berkeley, but I'm starting to realize I have to look and consider others.

Renegade
09-08-2004, 06:16 AM
2 years ago, I thought I'd have the commitment and dedication to my academics to able to attend UCLA, Berkeley, or USC in the future. Now I realize that I'm just a lazy fuck who'll just settle for a State Uni (preferably Cal State LA or Cal Poly). And I'm clueless about what I should major in. But I still a have a whole year and a half to decide...Shit, I needa get my life intact.

DefyingGravity
09-08-2004, 06:38 AM
I want to attend Oklahoma City University(an art college), and if I do, I'll major in musical theatre. If I don't get in or can't afford it, I'll probably go to Oklahoma University and major in English, or go to med school and become a psychiatrist. I'm moving to Manhattan after college either way.

Liam
09-08-2004, 09:22 AM
I want to go to University of Sydney or USyd as its coloquially known, to do a bachelor of Arts. "Why USyd?"

Because its not Newcastle :)

I'm up to my 4th year of a 4 year course - Mathematics/Computer Science. Not much fun. Like Cliff, I'm hardly motivated and after travelling the last 3 months and having the time of my life I dont really see myself going back at this point.
When I get home though, that will change.

hasselbrad
09-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Best six years of my life. Changed majors too many times, though. I am still working on my degree through their External Degree Program.
Get your core curriculum out of the way and decide on a major that makes you happy. Changing majors wastes a ton of credit hours, especially going from say the College of Communication to the College of Arts & Sciences.

Hazzle
09-08-2004, 10:52 PM
So glad I knew I wanted to do Law and was fascinated by it throughout...I knew I wanted to do law since I was about 6...so it was a very easy decision.

bryan
09-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Kelsey and Richard. I'm surprised neither of you are trying to leave California for university. I still have a year or two ahead of me before I have to seriously consider which school to go to, but I'm trying to leave this land of endless sunshine as fast as I can.
My college dream would be attending Columbia University and majoring in Film. NYU is quite good as well. The obvious choice though would be USC or UCLA because they're located in the heart of the Hollywood film industry and they also happen to be the most respected film schools in the country.
Bah, that's too much to think about at once.

Richard
10-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Kelsey and Richard. I'm surprised neither of you are trying to leave California for university. I still have a year or two ahead of me before I have to seriously consider which school to go to, but I'm trying to leave this land of endless sunshine as fast as I can.
My college dream would be attending Columbia University and majoring in Film. NYU is quite good as well. The obvious choice though would be USC or UCLA because they're located in the heart of the Hollywood film industry and they also happen to be the most respected film schools in the country.
Bah, that's too much to think about at once.

Well, I can agree with you on one thing... the endless sunshine. It's long over-rated, if I had the chance to live in Alaska, I would. No seriously, I've thought about it, and I'm just not comfortable leaving California just yet. I'm not saying that I'm in no means ready for the real world, I just can't imagine living anywhere else at the moment. Living on campus or in dorms is fine, but to ditch my parents at 18 and move into an apartment I probably can't afford with a shit-paying job... doesn't fly with me. Perhaps you have more faith, I don't know.

I'm already breaking a sweat. This damn California heat-wave. :mad:

Hazzle
10-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Stop bitching about the weather...it's an English privilege that doesn't extend to anyone else :p

Yeah, I know a lot of people who chose universities simply to go to another area of the country...broadening the horizons and all that...<shrugs> never saw the point myself...you can always travel for the fun of it and then go to the university that's BEST at what you want to do :)

Mags
10-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Arrrr. Starting my second year at the super esteemed University of North Texas (assuming of course that my finances are in a fit state to get me back there), where I'm delightfully majoring in English. Why English you ask? (and if you didn't fuck off b/c I'm gonna tell you anyway). Because of course it's not math, or science, or history, or anything but English. I plan on becoming an editor perhaps, hopefulling editing in England. I plan on doing my best this year to have a good enough GPA that I can spend ALL of my 3rd year in England, Surrey to be precise. That will of course depend on me getting excellent grades and actually being qualified as a 3rd year. Hopefully England will decide I'm not too bad and allow me to stay to live and work.

As for now though...off to Denton I go...stupid, small, far from everything fun Denton.

bryan
10-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Stop bitching about the weather...it's an English privilege that doesn't extend to anyone else :p

Yeah, I know a lot of people who chose universities simply to go to another area of the country...broadening the horizons and all that...<shrugs> never saw the point myself...you can always travel for the fun of it and then go to the university that's BEST at what you want to do :)

Actually, how is the weather over there? Maybe we should arrange a location swap so we can both shut up about how terrible the heat or the cold is in our respective homes. I think I'd rather freeze than burn thank you very much. There's also no such thing as seasons in California. The natives look puzzled if you ask them when winter starts.

Now before I start going off topic again..it always helps if the university you want to go to is located in a city that will indeed broaden your horizons AND is one of the best schools at what you want to do. Like Columbia ! In New York !

Kelsey
10-08-2004, 03:38 AM
I thought about leaving California, but I don't think I could. Not really. I got about as far as considering Wellesley in Massachusettes, and then ditched the thought (even though I still plan on applying just for options). I love everything about California, and I've wanted to move back to Southern Cali for a loooong time now. I was heartbroken when I became obsessed with Berkeley because it wasn't in L.A.

frodo1511
10-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Actually, how is the weather over there? Maybe we should arrange a location swap so we can both shut up about how terrible the heat or the cold is in our respective homes. I think I'd rather freeze than burn thank you very much. There's also no such thing as seasons in California. The natives look puzzled if you ask them when winter starts.

Now before I start going off topic again..it always helps if the university you want to go to is located in a city that will indeed broaden your horizons AND is one of the best schools at what you want to do. Like Columbia ! In New York !

Or Ann Arbor, near Detroit! Seriously, though, UofM will be perfect for me, since I'm relativly close to my grandparents and other relatives. Plus, it's a change of climate, moving from the oven that is Missouri, to the freezer that is Michigan. OT, bryan, go to Missouri, we're having highs only in the 70's this week.

kilyncw
10-08-2004, 06:08 PM
i really wish i woulda went to college instead of the life i chose for myself, but i am hoping things will correct themselves and maybe fall of 2005 i will start, but i wanna go to school in pennsylvania, so with it being free, well hopefully, i am looking at penn st., shippensburg u., indiana university of pa, or bloomsburg u.
________
Sell vaporizers (http://vaporizeraffiliateprogram.com)