PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy

keira_lover
07-08-2004, 03:29 AM
Simple question for those in the know. What's your favorite episode?

Mine has to be a toss up between And the Weiner is and Death Has a Shadow. I just about shit my pants laughing when the Kool Aid guy busted into the courtroom. Truly funny stuff. Best comedy on T.V. period (Simpsons who?)

Spire
07-08-2004, 03:38 AM
Maybe the one where Peter forms Petoria. The "Can't Touch This" song Peter sings is fantastic. By the way, a new Family Guy season starts on the 13th! W00t!

keira_lover
07-08-2004, 03:41 AM
New Family Guy season?!!!!! I thought they cancelled the show. :icon_conf

Spire
07-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Yup, they did cancel it, but so many people bought the DVD's and watched it on Adult Swim they agreed to bring it back.

Renegade
07-08-2004, 03:58 AM
This is a no-brainer. It's the episode where Stewie (my avatar :D) enters Peter's testicular area to exterminate all the sperm.

All the episodes make me gag. Honestly. I hope the show's revival brings back the same writers (and voices as well).

Jacoby
07-08-2004, 04:10 AM
The one where all the upper-class English moved into Quahog. And they turned their bar into 'ye olde pub'.
(Peter is pissed that they have taken over the bar.)
Clevland: "I don't know much about English lingo. I know that they call cigarettes 'fags' though."
Peter: Well how do we get these cigarettes out of our bar."

Not the funniest line...but whatever. :p

Every episode is flawless...hopefully the new season isn't toned down at all. Quagmire is the best character evar.

Renegade
07-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Every episode is flawless...hopefully the new season isn't toned down at all. Quagmire is the best character evar.

Truth. I could type out hilarious quotes all day but I'll point this one quote out.

[Louis kicks some guy's ass]
Quagmire: Whoa! That's kinda arousing!
[Window sill falls on his penis. He gets the phone and dials 911]
Quagmire: Hello 911! Yeah, yeah it's Quagmire again. It's in a window this time.

alby
07-08-2004, 04:48 AM

I'd have to agree.

My favorite episode is the one where the family survives a nuclear attack. Peter becomes the mayor of the new town, and eventually the family gets kicked out because people disapprove of Peter's performance. Stewie mutates into an octopus, reproduces himself, and his clones destroy the town. This episode always makes me laugh the hardest. :icon_lol:

keira_lover
07-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Maybe the one where Peter forms Petoria. The "Can't Touch This" song Peter sings is fantastic. By the way, a new Family Guy season starts on the 13th! W00t!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I just looked on FOX's website and the new season doesn't start until next year. Bummer, huh? :icon_cry:

Spire
07-08-2004, 08:37 AM
But...I....they....said....when....that.....*sigh*

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah
07-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Family Guy is fantastic, I have the DVDs, but I HATE, yes HATE the one with the sterotypical British people! WE'RE NOT LIKE THAT! *madness*

CFC
07-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Jacoby
07-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Family Guy is fantastic, I have the DVDs, but I HATE, yes HATE the one with the sterotypical British people! WE'RE NOT LIKE THAT! *madness*

Yeah, I only really mentioned this episode to see how someone would react. It's not even that great of an episode (well, it's still funny.) But yeah, stereotyping is bad, and it's never right.

My favorite episode is the one where the family survives a nuclear attack.

My God, yes! Where Quagmire and Clevland mutate into eachother and form Quagland (or Celvmire.)

I also like the one where they go down south to get away from the criminal that wants Chris dead. When Stewie's playing the banjo. That was great, then he yelled "I got blisters on me fingers" which was the icing on the cake for me. :)

frodo1511
07-08-2004, 07:10 PM
I enjoy the episode where Peter grows out a beard, and has an "endangered golden woodpecker" (or, at least something that looked like one:) anyway, he can't remove the bird by force, so the bird lays three eggs, and stay with Peter through the whole show. By it's ending, Peter is completly covered with bird crap. HAHA, that was one of the best episodes.

Kelsey
07-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Yes, stereotyping is never good.

Are they bringing it back to FOX?

keira_lover
07-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Yes it will be on sometime next year along with a new show created by Seth MacFarlane called American Dad.

Kelsey
07-08-2004, 07:33 PM
That's cool. FOX has the greatest shows on right now. That 70's Show, and many would argue The O.C.

Jacoby
07-08-2004, 09:12 PM
I think I heard the new season starts January 19th or something. Move over Jesus, there's a new savior in town. And his name is Seth MacFarlane. Just kidding Jesus, you're the man.

Anyone remember the episode where Peter and Lois seperated for a while. Quagmire got the chance to date Lois. OMG....genius.

kilyncw
10-08-2004, 02:12 PM
my roomates and friends and i are the biggest fans of the family guy series, we own every episode and watch them over and over to the point where we have almost the entire series memorized. it was the greatest show ever. i can't believe they cancelled it, but i hear that the creaters are working on another cartoon series somewhat similar. did anyone else hear anything on that?
________
teen girl Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/teen-girls/)

frodo1511
10-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Yes, because of the tremendous support from Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, FOX is bringing back the funniest cartoon of all time. Don't know when yet, but hopefully soon.

CFC
10-08-2004, 02:48 PM
I believe that Fox will begin to air old episodes this fall then the new season starts sometime next year.

kilyncw
10-08-2004, 06:01 PM
it will be the greatest day in fox history
________
LAMBORGHINI WIKI (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/)

keira_lover
10-08-2004, 06:32 PM
If you want to learn more check out my thread on Family Guy. And please, before you start a thread, check to make sure there is not another one on the exact topic already up.

Hazzle
11-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Merged the threads...carry on your discussion :)

Although a message to everyone, just for future reference...not meaning to be all bitchy, but please do use the search option to check for threads...I realise sometimes it can be missed...but in this case both threads had the exact same title...the search option is on the top bar...and easy to use. Just to save a mod having to merge, and to save the bitching that can often develop...use it please :)

EmotionSickness
11-08-2004, 05:37 PM
My boyfriend and I have an on-going debate, of sorts, as to which cartoon series is better: The Simpsons or Family Guy. And, right now, it looks like we're both giving Family Guy the edge ... for now.

I'm inclined to say Simpsons, if not for the sheer and often subtle comedic brilliance of the show, then simply for its longevity. Isn't it going on fifteen years now? That's pretty effing impressive. But, lately (as I've recently, well last year, acquired all episodes of FG on DVD), I've noticed that it is FG that is making me laugh out loud more; it's simply a more laugh-out-loud-funny show, in my opinion. What do you guys think?

As for my favorite episode, that's a real toughy. I know them all like the back of my hand by now and I love nearly every single one of them. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not so sure I have one single favorite episode (or favorite episodes[I], for that matter), although I do have many favorite [I]moments from a wide array of episodes. Let's see, where to begin ....

- There's the bit with Randy Newman "just singin' about what he sees" in the episode "Da Boom". Ohh boy, did that make me laugh and laugh the first time I saw it. I really hate Randy Newman! :lol:
- The flash-back in "Death Lives" (at least I think it was "Death Lives")which shows us the time Peter tried his hand at narrating his own life, only to be knocked unconscious by Lois after insulting her looks and cooking.
- I can't remember the name of the episode, but it's the one where Lois meets up with her old boyfriend, Ross Fishman, at the grocery store and there's a bit where some guy (that is drawn to look like famed 80's comedian Gallagher) smashes a watermelon on a piano, or something to that effect, and everyone is clapping and "oohing" and "ahhing" and you can hear a guy mutter, "Is it 1981?". Little things like that always make me laugh.
- Pretty much anytime Peter says "you bastard" in that crazy New England accent of his, especially in the episode where he's "swearing" on the Bible in court.

Ohh gosh, I could think of a hundred more if I sat here long enough, but I won't put anyone through that. :p

All in all, it was a terrific show that I honestly felt was doomed from the beginning (which is ironically why I started taping it after I'd seen three or four episodes) simply because network television wasn't ready for something this cutting-edge and fresh. I am absolutely elated about its return to television (and about the possible movie deal)!

keira_lover
11-08-2004, 07:10 PM
I am absolutely elated about its return to television (and about the possible movie deal)!

Oh my effing God! A Family Guy movie?! Sweeeeeeeeet!

On a side note, I heard recently that Simpsons creator Matt Groaning was, in part, responsible for getting Family Guy cancelled because according to him, Peter was too much like Homer (copyright infringement or something like that, I'm not a lawyer so I don't know all that legal mumbo jumbo). Can anyone corroborate this story?

DragonRat
11-08-2004, 07:13 PM
I always thought that Matt Groening originally took Seth McFarlane under his wing, and aided him in getting Family Guy onto the FOX network - hence the similarities between Homer and Peter. I would probably say that the only reason for Family Guy going off the air before, was due to its bad ratings. However, once it went off the air, the sales of its DVD sets went through the roof.

EmotionSickness
11-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Yeah, keira_lover. I heard that rumor a while back, as well. I have no idea as to whether there's any truth to it at all, but I will say that I, myself, do find quite a few similarities between Homer and Peter, although I feel they were unintentional (I mean, how many different ways are there to play a fat, stupid, 40-something, middle-class American white guy?). I guess we'll never know 100% for sure what got it pulled off the air, although I think it's safe to say it was not due to sagging ratings (as I understood, the ratings were not all that bad at the time the show was pulled. But I could be wrong).

DragonRat
11-08-2004, 07:19 PM
I thought it was due to bad ratings. It kept being moved from one time slot to another, that it never received a fixed audience. Thus, it inevitably died out, due to loss of that specified audience. The Simpsons have been on Sundays at 8:00 pm for God knows how long.

EmotionSickness
11-08-2004, 07:22 PM
I've heard different things, Dragon. But, like I just said ... I could be wrong. ;)

Hazzle
12-08-2004, 12:58 AM
It couldn't possibly be copyright infringement as the two characters don't LOOK at all similar...and in the US there is no copyright in an idea...and that's what I think would be at issue if the concepts were similar.

I happen to think that's a bullshit story...it could be ANY reason...I mean why did Groening (and I do believe it WAS him who did it) pull the plug on Futurama when it was clearly superior to The Simpsons? The figures weren't it...must've just been a choice he and the channel made...probably the same thing with McFarlane.

alby
12-08-2004, 07:12 AM
My God, yes! Where Quagmire and Clevland mutate into eachother and form Quagland (or Celvmire).

I also like the one where they go down south to get away from the criminal that wants Chris dead. When Stewie's playing the banjo. That was great, then he yelled "I got blisters on me fingers" which was the icing on the cake for me. :)

I have to watch the episodes over again before university starts. What a great show.

Stewie: You. Cut my eggs.
Waiter: Your eggs are cut, Sir.
Stewie: Now cut my milk.
Waiter: Uh, I can't, Sir. It's liquid.
Stewie: [slaps waiter] Idiot. Freeze it, then cut it. And if you ever question me again, I shall put you on diaper detail. And believe me, I will not make it easy on you.

----

Peter: Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant and a fat white guy who is threatened by change.

Jacoby
15-08-2004, 02:48 AM
I thought I would revive this not-too-old thread to post some news about Seth MacFarlane's new show, American Dad. You'll be able to watch a 6 minute pilot of it here (http://www.american-dad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224). Though, you may have to register first to watch it...I'm not sure. Anyways, I've watched it and it looks pretty funny. Stan, the father, and Roger, the alien, seem to be the funniest characters in my mind (But let's not forget the talking fish with the mind of a German man.) Anyway...watch the pilot, and tell us what you think...

Days_of_Flesh
15-08-2004, 02:57 AM
When Peter falls and skins his knee... then proceeds to cringe for what seems like the next ten minutes.

Pure, unadulterated comedy.

keira_lover
15-08-2004, 03:47 AM
Hey Jacoby, you might want to start your own thread on American Dad, I was going to post what I thought of the pilot but I'm afraid the admins will see it and have a cow like they always do. :icon_spam

Jacoby
15-08-2004, 04:13 AM
Just post it here...I thought it was a pretty funny pilot. It's no Family Guy though.

keira_lover
15-08-2004, 06:32 AM
Just post it here...I thought it was a pretty funny pilot. It's no Family Guy though.

You're right about that, nothing comes close to Family Guy. The pilot was...promising I suppose. It's got the same Seth humor as Family Guy (which is both a good and bad thing, some might think because of that it's just a Family Guy knock off of sorts, others will be delighted to hear more of Seth's witty humor), the characters, particularly the dad, the fish, and the alien were pretty funny, but the other three just seemed like dead weight in the fact that they really didn't contribute much. The pilot was carried mostly by the aformentioned three characters. Improvements on the latter three would definately help. I didn't particularly care for the theme song either, it felt a little out of place and akward in between bits. In all honesty, I think they'll have to make some major improvements however if they want the series to last. I could write more but right now I'm spent so, that's that.

Hazzle
15-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Hey Jacoby, you might want to start your own thread on American Dad, I was going to post what I thought of the pilot but I'm afraid the admins will see it and have a cow like they always do. :icon_spam

There's no reason to moderate this issue...the show's by the same creator, and thus I think discussion of it, and comparison to Family Guy is entirely on-topic. If it gets out of hand we'll nudge you in the direction of creating a new thread, or even do it for you...