PDA

View Full Version : What is truly SEXY?

Martha
07-08-2004, 02:18 AM
delete

Hazzle
07-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Clothes do not make the woman, the woman makes the clothes...it's the inner confidence...an attitude...a bit of lip and, ironically, some balls:p...a woman who's aggressively assertive, and yet capable of being demure and sweet underneath...that's very sexy ;)

keira_lover
07-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Clothes do not make the woman, the woman makes the clothes...it's the inner confidence...an attitude...a bit of lip and, ironically, some balls:p...a woman who's aggressively assertive, and yet capable of being demure and sweet underneath...that's very sexy ;)

My sentiments exactly.

44th member of Keira Knightley's Posse

DefyingGravity
07-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Angelina Jolie. Now THAT is sexy.

Pinkfairy
07-08-2004, 03:41 AM
I give confidence a third vote.
Guys that are clingy and needy are not sexy, but rather annoying.
It wouldn't hurt to be as cool as Johnny Depp.

Kelsey
07-08-2004, 07:43 AM
Confidence and the ability to be comfortable being themselves.

duckula
07-08-2004, 09:29 AM
A woman who can fix things. I shit you not.

DragonRat
07-08-2004, 10:44 AM
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4 (NIV)

Richard
07-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Jeans. Women in jeans.

Women like Natasha Henstridge... in jeans.

"A world without women in jeans, is chaos"

Hazzle
07-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Must say jeans and a T-shirt do do it for me if we're talking clothes :p If a girl can rock a pair of jeans and a t-shirt...that's a great start...and yah...the jeans do it...mmmmmm

Personally most of my favourite Keira pics have her in jeans.

Mandy
07-08-2004, 05:50 PM
What is TRULY sexy? Having some class.

Hazzle
07-08-2004, 06:00 PM
What is TRULY sexy? Having some class.

Nahh...class doesn't make one sexy, just classy...having NO class makes one sexy :D We're talking about sexy in the slutty "Let's jump your bones then" way, aye?

Kelsey
07-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Actually, I think class is kind of a big deal. Like....don't burp on me, and don't act like a 5 year old.

Hazzle
07-08-2004, 10:42 PM
don't act like a 5 year old.

But what if I am one? Surely being one's own self is the most attractive thing of all? :icon_conf

acliff
07-08-2004, 11:08 PM
A sense of humour. As soon as I find a girl who is actually really funny, and can joke with the best of them, while being intelligent, I'd be onto her soo quick.

Also, a zest for life. Lively, wanting to do things. Rather than staying at home, moping or complaining.

she is fit!
09-08-2004, 09:47 PM
keira is truly sexy!

Elijahfan
11-08-2004, 11:52 PM
for me, a guy who's smart, funny, not creepy muscular, relaxed, confident, and doesnt have too big a hubris.

KeiraLoverLD
18-08-2004, 04:42 AM
keira is truly sexy!

I highly agree!!!!. Keira is truly sexy. But to me some girls can just pull off anything and still be sexy. So Id rather see a girl in something simple, portraying her true beauty, instead of some slut in slutty clothes showing all. Dont get me wrong, thats a real turn on, but not "TRULY sexy." But the girl has to pull it off right, especially with her hair. Some girls can have there hair pulled back in a sort of tangled web of hair and have their bangs down in there face. And you're just like damn! So I guess showing true beauty and simpleness is "truly" sexy.

Dr.No
18-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Nice Ass

Hazzle
18-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Nice Ass

Thanks...I've worked hard on toning and perfecting it...always nice to get appreciation for my perfect little tushy.

acliff
18-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks...I've worked hard on toning and perfecting it...always nice to get appreciation for my perfect little tushy.

Shame you speak out of it so often.

Hazzle
18-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Shame you speak out of it so often.

Well...it's my best feature...talking out of it draws attention out to it...you just spew shit forth from your gob instead, drawing attention to your ugly mug :p

johnnyboy
28-08-2004, 04:08 PM
truly sexy? nice eyes, smile, and butt, that does it for me :)

And haz, you scare me :icon_err:

ryan
28-08-2004, 06:27 PM
swallowing

oh, the hotness. :cool:

Lil' Lady Chaz
28-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Male: Voice and Smile

Female: Eyes and Lips

deviljet88
29-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Nice face. But I'm 14, don't bother with my opinion.

Richard
29-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Nice face. But I'm 14, don't bother with my opinion.

Why not? Attraction sometimes is everything. All the pretty boys at my high school have girlfriends, the ugly's don't.

Maybe not. Is face attraction?

deviljet88
29-08-2004, 02:11 AM
I've always found it weird that the jocks who have facial rashes covering their cheeks can get girlfriends while the quieter types without face blemishes don't. So that kind of cancels out the facial bit... But I find nice face the most attractive.

ryan
29-08-2004, 04:14 AM
I've always found it weird that the jocks who have facial rashes covering their cheeks can get girlfriends while the quieter types without face blemishes don't. So that kind of cancels out the facial bit... But I find nice face the most attractive.

looks aren't everything
jocks usually have a good bit of confidence about themselves (typically arrogance) and that attracts ladies like crazy. then they get to know them better and regret it all

silly females. when will they learn?

MeggieHoops
29-08-2004, 05:15 AM
Confidence is totally and truly sexy. Arrogance - no. Confidence - yes. There's a difference. While shy and self-consious guys CAN be cute...I'd rather have a guy who was very sure of himself.

Dyce_Blue
29-08-2004, 05:34 AM
I like girls with nice eyes. My favorite thing is to make eye contact with a girl, and see what she does.

They usually look at me all funny...

It could be because my eyes are weird though. (Grey, green, and orange)

MeggieHoops
29-08-2004, 05:49 AM
Yes I'm posting again.

As well as confidence, I really like mouth crinkles. Like...when a guy smiles and he has really defined lines around his mouth? I don't know, I just like it for some reason.

And I like stomachs. ALOT.

Jacoby
29-08-2004, 06:04 AM
And I like stomachs. ALOT.

Do these stomachs have to be fit? Or do you like them all?

I think sexyness comes with attitude and interest. If a girl told me she didn't like me doing something, as long as it isn't harmful or anything, it would be a turn off. As long as she doesn't try to be something else than she is, it's all good. And if she lets me be who I am..it's even more all good... :icon_conf ...

"Yeah, I don't care if you play videogames, just as long as we have time to spend together." If a girl said that to me, I would melt.

MeggieHoops
29-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Haha yeah, fit stomachs. Not full on muscular 6 packs or anything...just fit.

zaphod_beeblebrox
29-08-2004, 06:25 AM
I highly agree!!!!. Keira is truly sexy. But to me some girls can just pull off anything and still be sexy. So Id rather see a girl in something simple, portraying her true beauty, instead of some slut in slutty clothes showing all. Dont get me wrong, thats a real turn on, but not "TRULY sexy." But the girl has to pull it off right, especially with her hair. Some girls can have there hair pulled back in a sort of tangled web of hair and have their bangs down in there face. And you're just like damn! So I guess showing true beauty and simpleness is "truly" sexy.

i agree especially the part about the sluttyness

keira_lover
29-08-2004, 07:10 AM
What is truly sexy? A thin, white bra with matching v-shaped thong panties, nice, long stockings and white stilletos-Victoria's Secret summer catalog, page 57.

johnnyboy
29-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Why do you subscribe? :icon_err: :)

frodo1511
29-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Black panties...black bra... Victoria's secret, spring catalog, page 27.
...Girl's got class.

Sorry, but Keira lover's post above made me recite the best line from Rush Hour 2.

Jacoby
30-08-2004, 12:00 AM
She looks like a friendly dominatrix with that thing on.

frodo1511
30-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Here is Victoria's secret, spring catalog, page 27.

Remember, the movie came out three years ago, so that's not the same pic, but I'm done here, so who cares.

NearokA
30-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Sexy?

1). You'll definately need clothes. I'd say the more physically shaped you are, the less you can spend on designer wear. And definatly get a pair of nice Italian shoes. Italian leather is very sexy.

2). You'll need make up and a hair stylist. You can't be sexy without the hair. All women should have a hairstylist. There's no excuse for horrible hair.

3). If you have ever watched models strut down the walkway, that is how you should be walking. Tall, confident, and shaking that ass.

4). Posture. Most women walk with a slouch posture and I never really did understand this much. Good posture can go a long way.

5). You'll need to develop a sexy, playful voice. I usually talk in two different tones. One tone for friendly banter, and another tone for getting laid. Try not and overdo the sexy voice though but do overdo the playful voice.

6). Smile lots.

7). Touching. Playful touches to the face, hair, arms, or legs says alot about the interest level. If you subtley brush a man on the arms or face, you'll definately get his attention, unless he's a complete idiot.

duckula
30-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Not talking shit helps too. If you are hot, smart and shove your breasts in my face that's all that's neccessary.

Mickydrip
12-03-2005, 05:41 AM
Even If I Am 14 I Still Have An Opinion Even If Some ppl Dont Think So - well it differs for most ppl some like facial some like clothes some like body it is different for every1 for me it is combos well for a reall sexy chick its a thin body between 50-100kg at least u wear sometype of clothes but nothing to wrecked or dirty the face is most important hair has to be clean and shiny u dont want some1 with dry hair legs,arms,back and other places u get hair to be shaven nothing is as bad and as well if u r truly sexy u dont really need makeup or things like that u just match and look good in almost anything but for me most chicks that are truly sexy bikini and beach scenes do it for me but at HIGH SCHOOL it is mostly favored as either tough and athletic ppl some with good and bad faces and most of all they normally arent shy and dont talk soft or anything like that i am shy at school and im ugly.... yeah but thats just my choices every1 or most of every1 is different :banghead::spy::icon_beer
:wave::bump::Hail::fencing:

jei
18-03-2005, 03:32 PM
really sexy is a piercing in the tongue!!!
lol :icon_razz

miri
09-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Not talking shit helps too. If you are hot, smart and shove your breasts in my face that's all that's neccessary.

Fairly materialistic way of thinking about women's worth...

barrington
09-04-2005, 01:53 PM
But he's right.

miri
11-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Well, I believe not all men second that:)

Shai Knightley
23-05-2005, 03:15 PM
I think it means just being yourself and accepting your body type
Everyone is sexy in different ways

kelsen13
30-05-2005, 04:37 AM
hey i'm new and this is a topic i can contribute in!

well, physicaly i like for a guy to be taller than me by like 4-ish inches. not towering but not shorterr than me so he doesn't have to stand on the curb when we kiss (not kidding, had to have one guy do that). I'm really not a big fan of the typical idea of sexiness as big, scary muscles. I much prefer thin guys with muscle tone, not bulk. wiery lean muscles are the kind i find most attractive. i do not like it when guys dye their hair. it's a big turn off. and please, don't have jesus hair. and at the same time don't have no hair. kissable lips are the best, but not i-just-got-punched-in-the-face-lips. i'm a big sucker for light green-light brown eyes.
the physical doesn't really matter though if the character is great. personality wise, humor is so sexy. and as cliche as it is, so is confidence. a guy needs to have initiative. intellegence/talant in something is a turn on. i think that's why so many girls (me included) fall for musicains (not just guitarists, personaly i have a thing for guys who play the stand up bass). it's nice to know a guy is dedicated to something and is creative. i so basically, nothing is sexier to me than a guy who jokes to me and who can flirt verbaly and not just physicaly. a guy who has energy to be up for anything, and yet has his mellow moment. and a guy who i can go see play a show. and i know i'm really picky

billie
26-12-2005, 02:26 PM
sense of humor, intelligence and confidence.. those are SEXY to me... yummy

DragonRat
27-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Since people have different ideas of what is truly sexy, then there cannot be anything that is 'truly' sexy (using a Kripkean argument here of necessary v. contingent truths; that is, if it's not a necessary truth, then it is not true at all). It's all relative. It's all subjective. Some people say sexiness is inward; some people say it's outward. Women can surely have sex appeal for different reasons: the right clothes (or lack thereof); the right attitude; that certain je ne sai quoi.

I would like to proffer my own arguments as to the physical beauty of a woman (divided into four categories), but I think I'll save that for another time. I'll end with a biblical quote (seems anachronistic, but I like the passage):

"Do not let your adornment be merely outward - arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel. Rather, let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God" (1 Peter 3:3-4).

dave
27-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Since people have different ideas of what is truly sexy, then there cannot be anything that is 'truly' sexy (using a Kripkean argument here of necessary v. contingent truths; that is, if it's not a necessary truth, then it is not true at all). It's all relative. It's all subjective.

This is an interesting subject. I am 62 years old. Old enough to be the grandfather of most of you. I read your replies and see that most of you aren't answering the question. You have Sex and Beauty confused. For instance. Is the statue of Venus d'Milo beautiful, or Sexy?

For the last six years I've been driving an "Over-The Road" Truck, (i.e. 18-wheeler) The only women I see are waitresses and Strippers. Damn few. Is a really fun waitress who gives you a lot of Shit sexier than a Stripper who is naked, untouchable, and three feet in front of you? The waitress is talking to you; the stripper is dancing for herself, and you are merely watching.

Beauty (Think Rebecca Romijn)
Her face
Her body
Does she enjoy being "worshipped"? A woman who doesn't isn't worthy of it.
Does she screw alot without ever planning to have children? A woman who is pleasure driven may be beautiful, but she is not sexy.
Is it possible that you will ever actually spend time getting to know her?

Sexy (Think Goldie Hawn)
Her Intelligence
Does she dance?
Her demeanor - Does she flirt well
Is she fun to be around
Does she touch me, will she allow me to touch her?
Does she ride a motorcycle and go to the Hot Springs where everybody gets naked?
Does she enjoy children (Sex is, after all, for having children...)
It is possible that you will actually spend time getting to know her.

DragonRat
27-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Beauty (Think Rebecca Romijn)
Her face
Her body
Does she enjoy being "worshipped"? A woman who doesn't isn't worthy of it.
Does she screw alot without ever planning to have children? A woman who is pleasure driven may be beautiful, but she is not sexy.
Is it possible that you will ever actually spend time getting to know her?

Sexy (Think Goldie Hawn)
Her Intelligence
Does she dance?
Her demeanor - Does she flirt well
Is she fun to be around
Does she touch me, will she allow me to touch her?
Does she ride a motorcycle and go to the Hot Springs where everybody gets naked?
Does she enjoy children (Sex is, after all, for having children...)
It is possible that you will actually spend time getting to know her.

See, now you're forcing me to introduce my theory on beauty. (And Golden Hawn? Intelligent? That's not the reason Kurt Russell married her.) And Rebecca Romijn is not "beautiful", per se, but rather more so "sexy". Why? (Remember, my theory is only - ONLY - for physical attraction. If people believe in sexiness as a mental trait, and an attitude, then by all means, believe so. I simply offer my attempt at an objective look at physical appearance. Thus, if you argue with me that "That's not what sexy is! I'll tell you what sexy is!" and go on and talk about how this girl you met was nice to you and you found her intelligent and she read books you read and listened to music you listened to, and you could then easily imagine her as supremely attractive - hence, "sexy" - then that's subjective. That's you. That's your falling for a girl like that. Pshaw, I say. Pshaw.)

In my overtly arrogant opinion (as opposed to the humble kind), I believe there to be 4 classifications of beauty (beauty in a catch-all term for what defines the physical attractiveness of a female): 1) beautiful; 2) cute; 3) pretty; 4) sexy.

1) I would proffer the example of Audrey Hepburn (rather than RR) as exemplifying "beautiful". To me, to be beautiful connotes a sense of elegance: not so a haughty, superior attitude, but a fineness; not a petiteness, but a sensible air about her. When I think "beautiful", I think Roman Holiday.

2) "Cute" is a bit more descriptive in its connotation. Being petite, or having a relatively "cute" face would put people in this category. (I'm sorry if I feel the need to categorize people and things; I was raised a scientist.) I know a few people personally, of whom I would think as being "cute". Now, people would argue that cuteness fades away with age, but that's not necessarily true. I would think that, in the thermodynamic sense, types of beauty simply interchange with other types (call it the Law of Conservation of Beauty).

3) Ah, pretty. Natalie Portman. Keira Knightley. These girls are "pretty". The problem with this category is, it's too difficult to truly define what it means to be pretty. It's not exactly cute. It's not exactly beautiful. And, to be honest, they do not exude sexiness the way other people do. But they're attractive, in the way that I would like them around, because they make everything else around them that much... well... prettier. Perhaps it's their smile; but then, I'd be using their smile as a synecdoche of their beauty as a whole. (It's less important to specify, because then you'd end up subjectifying the whole sense of it.) They lack the supreme elegance of the beautiful, but they do not heed the petite air of cuteness. They're more or less in the middle, like a moderate in the political scheme.

4) Finally, I arrive at sexiness. Most people know what's up with being sexy. I think Angelina Jolie is sexy. In this sense, it's also related to beautiful, in which both types tend to emanate their respective attractiveness. Just as Audrey Hepburn oozed elegance, Angelina Jolie oozes sex. It's just that.

Now, these four categories don't really make much sense, do they? Surely some would think the way I classified women, is either demeaning or just stupid. Well, the corollary to all of this is, no woman - in the past, the present, nor future - will EVER exude any more than 3 of the 4 categories. So, with that in mind, it's important to note that many attractive women cannot be lumped into any one of the four; indeed, they exude 1-3 of these categories, but not all 4. (Of course, being 'cute' and 'sexy' simultaneously is a bit ridiculous, unless you're Britney; but then she's just being whorish. And don't get me started on how K-Fed - who really is good for nothing - shot her with a Magic Love Arrow and started a perfume company and rapping career - or lack thereof.) And, if someone does say, "I know someone who has all 4 traits", that means you like the girl. Don't deny it. You're just being subjective in your tastes.

Bear in mind that this is actually the first time I've written down these ideas. So if you see any sense of illogic in them, screw you. Other than that, I hope this helps intensify the further investigation of... "WHAT IS TRULY SEXY???"

dave
27-12-2005, 08:55 PM
See, now you're forcing me to introduce my theory on beauty. (And Goldie Hawn? Intelligent? That's not the reason Kurt Russell married her.)
Goldie Hawn is a member of Mensa.

You see, I speak American English. And in that language, Beauty is a quality you have, and Sexy is something you do.

A beautiful person might never be Sexy.
A Sexy person might never be beautiful.

DragonRat
28-12-2005, 01:21 AM
With that in mind, I retract my statement on Goldie Hawn.

Lizzie Bennet
29-12-2005, 03:13 AM
Well sexy for me is a guy who is loving, caring, smart, and has a good personality in general. I have my ideas on what he would look like, but looks, for me, do not define sexiness, a good personality does.

a ring in return
04-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I am sexy.

dave
05-01-2006, 03:33 AM
I am sexy.

I agree. But what more would you rather be? Sexy is too easy for a person like you.

It's like with Keira, she is so much more than merely sexy. Anyone can be sexy. Set your goals higher. Someone, somewhere will always find some particular someone sexy anytime. It's what you do with the rest of the times that will define you and what you probably want to be remembered for.

acliff
05-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Goldie Hawn is a member of Mensa.

You see, I speak American English. And in that language, Beauty is a quality you have, and Sexy is something you do.

A beautiful person might never be Sexy.
A Sexy person might never be beautiful.

People in mensa are not sexy.
I'm not a fan of people who have to become a member of mensa in order to prove to themselves and others they are smart. True, being part of mensa differentiates Goldie Hawn from the unintelligent masses, but she hasn't done anything which makes me respect her for her brain.
To see where I'm coming from, you've got to understand the people who were trying to join mensa, and probably did in my school were thicker than me and Duckula, and infinitely more boring people.

Also I think people are confusing sexy with attractive.

Well sexy for me is a guy who is loving, caring, smart, and has a good personality in general. I

I would classify those as attractive features. Sexy in my opinion is definitely superficial things, like the way someone moves, smiles, talks, looks.

You're more likely to say that someone has a sexy voice, sexy smile, sexy legs than attractive.

dave
06-01-2006, 12:18 AM
People in mensa are not sexy.

Biggot alert.

Intelligence is Sexy.

I'm not a fan of people who have to become a member of mensa in order to prove to themselves and others they are smart.
Nobody joins Mensa to prove they are smart. They are smart. Then they look for people who might be interesting to be around, not a waste of time, not boring. Maybe the local chapter of Mensa has people like that. You know that we are discussing "What is Sexy?" here. You are responding to my statement that "I think Intelligence is a Sexy Quality". (not in those precise words, but believe me that the quote marks are legitimate.)

One of the places you go to find sexy people is wherever sexy people gather. Since intelligence is sexy, go there.

True, being part of mensa differentiates Goldie Hawn from the unintelligent masses, but she hasn't done anything which makes me respect her for her brain.
Kate Hudson comes to mind.
To see where I'm coming from, you've got to understand the people who were trying to join mensa, and probably did in my school were thicker than me and Duckula, and infinitely more boring people.And because you didn't like them, you declared that they were "Boring, & Non-Sexy." You were obviously the "Campus God" in charge of making these decisions? Why don't you go back to watching "Animal House"? :)

Also I think people are confusing sexy with attractive.

I would classify those as attractive features. Sexy in my opinion is definitely superficial things, like the way someone moves, smiles, talks, looks.

You're more likely to say that someone has a sexy voice, sexy smile, sexy legs than attractive.

That's just about enough. Now you are saying that "Attractive" is not "Sexy"; or you are lying. (Or not smart [i.e. "Sexy] enough to articulate what you meant.) :fencing:

dave
06-01-2006, 03:27 AM
I apologize.

What I mean to say is that two very important qualities that make a person "sexy" for me are "attractiveness" and "intelligence".

Beyond that, I think it is unfair for people who are only "attractive" or "intelligent" to make jokes about people who may not be as "attractive" or "intelligent" as they, themselves are.

So, a third quality of a "Sexy" person is that they are "compatible" with other people, they are "fun to be around". You feel "safe" in having them as friends, you know they won't criticize you when you aren't there.

So:
1) attractive (different strokes for different folks... What looks good to me might not "rock your boat".)
2) intelligence (I love Chess, and card games, Spades, Hearts, Pinochle, Bridge. It takes some intelligence to beat me. You should be able to beat me occasionally.
3) Friendship (She should like me.)
4) There is a relativistic time-related part of this that is there as well. One time I might look across the room at you and you would be the object of all of the "Sexy" things I've ever desired, and another time you would be just there, and I'd look away, unfulfilled.

So, "availability" is also part of "Sexy". While "Chiana" (i.e. Gigi Edgely) is "Sexy" because she is part of my "Farscape fantasy world", Gigi Edgely, herself, is not as "Sexy"; though as aCliff would say, she is "Attractive". But because I could never know her, she isn't quite "Sexy", merely "Attractive".

I guess those five are all "Real World" based. There is a "suspension of belief" quality which is part of being in "Fantasy Mode".

In "Fantasy Mode", Chiana is Sexy, (and "perhaps" attainable) as are the heroines that Keira (whom I've never met, and probably never will) the heroines that Keira plays in her movie roles.

"Inara" (Morena Baccarin in "Firefly" & "Serenity" ) is Sexy. I attribute qualities to these ladies in my fantasies that make them "Sexy". When I meet them (should I ever meet them,) I must verify (in my mind) whether those qualities actually exist.

So, there is a difference in what makes a person "Sexy" in a fantasy world and in "The Real World". You want proof? Read books. If "Sexy" was the same in the real world as it is in fantasies, then no fictional character could ever be "Sexy". Wonder Woman is not Sexy. Neither is "Emma Peel" of "The Avengers"... Nor are any of "The Bond Women" in any of the forty James Bond Novels...

acliff
06-01-2006, 07:10 AM
I think some people are thinking too hard.

Intelligence is for me a prerequisite. If they are not smart, then I know I'm going to be frustrated and irritated a great deal of the time. That makes me a snob, I'm ok with that. And through that, I can understand the urge of joining an organisation where there is a base level of intelligence. I wasn't trying to imply people at mensa were stupid, far from it. In my opinion however, they should spend far less time blowing their own trumpets and instead doing something useful with their god given talents, say, cure cancer, eliminate HIV, send men to mars, etc. Make mensa an organisation for doing something productive and useful? Could it be? I'd bet that far fewer people would join.

Actresses can be sexy on screen, as they are acting the role to be so. They can be sexy off the screen, and due to their PR and stylist people its not that difficult. Characters in books can be sexy as they are written to be so.
Inara (Monica Baccharin) is sexy on screen. She also happens to be smokingly hot. And as her screen persona is the only place you've seen her before, her image is sexy in your memory. She might be dull as stamps in real life, but my perception of her is that she's sexy.
Simple conclusion, I'd do her without any hesitation.

Oh, I almost had a brain haemorrage trying to read though all the speech marks.

dave
06-01-2006, 09:57 AM
I think some people are thinking too hard.
<snip>In my opinion however, they should spend far less time blowing their own trumpets and instead doing something useful with their god given talents, say, cure cancer, eliminate HIV, send men to mars, etc. Make mensa an organisation for doing something productive and useful? Could it be? I'd bet that far fewer people would join.
Why do you have this opinion? Perhaps ten minutes wasted reading Mensa's Home Page (http://www.mensa.com) would help, or if you learned that Isaac Asimov used to be one of the poster children for Mensa.

I'm curious about something that you imply. I don't actually believe that a person with a high IQ should be locked into some sort of public service job, (just because some test somewhere said he was smarter... [one of the things about Mensans that most people don't know is that a huge proportion of Mensans are in prison, or driving a truck.]) So, if Mensans should be doing "Public Service" stuff, What should "Sexy People" be doing? Running Strip Clubs?

Actresses can be sexy on screen, as they are acting the role to be so. <snip> Characters in books can be sexy as they are written to be so. If an actress "can be sexy on screen", or an author can write a sexy character in a book, it should be possible for that actress or author (or even you) to describe the "rules of Sexuality" which make that performance or character "Sexy", n'est pas?

So, one more time. What is "Sexy".

Oh, I almost had a brain hemorrhage trying to read though all the speech marks.
Try reading them aloud. I was taught that punctuation is to aid in the reader's understanding what I meant them to hear. As though I spoke the words to them in a conversation. And yes, I have been accused of "making up" my own punctuation.

DragonRat
07-01-2006, 12:41 AM
I think it's pretty meaningless to discuss what truly defines sexiness. It's like the blind men and the elephant: you're all poking and feeling certain aspects of the great beast, but you're going nowhere with the totality of its definition.

If one were to use the equation as such (since it's useless to state that any one of those traits would synecdochically be "sexy"):

sexiness = attractiveness + intelligence + compatibility

Then here one must believe that, if both attractiveness and intelligence are subjective qualities to the observer, then so must sexiness. There can be no true objectivity to sexiness, since, as the cliche goes, it's in the eye of the beholder.

(For the sake of further argument, I'll remove compatibility. Many incredibly sexy women can never be compatible with me - due to financial concerns, spatial constraints, personality clashes, etc. And, indeed, after so many years of marriage, if one can still think of their companion as "sexy", then more power to them. As C.S. Lewis considered, marriage becomes less about attraction and more about companionship. Does the knowledge that somebody in the world is absolutely compatible with you, make that person much sexier - or rather, more attractive? The distinction is in the manner, in which those words are used. Compatibility, in a sense, could be emotional attractiveness.)

How could one objectively describe attractiveness, though? I attempted, but my so-called theory of beauty (in terms of physical nature alone) was ignored for the sake of inward beauty, which could mean intelligence, compatibility, attitude, personality. And yet, what is intelligence? What makes it sexy? Why does a good sense of humor impress someone? What about it makes it "sexy"?

One could say that intelligence - in this case specifically, a sense of humor - is attractive. It's not physical attraction, but mental attraction. In essence, one could then drop the entire idea of intelligence. If intelligence is mental attractiveness, and compatibility emotional attractiveness, then the equation is reduced to

sexiness = attractiveness (physical, mental, emotional)

But, someone would say that not all sexiness is physical. But neither is it completely mental or emotional. Indeed, what should define sexiness is some mixture of all three (or any other variables of attraction not included). Since it's subjective, that heterogeneous mixture will be different for all people. So what is truly sexy cannot be necessarily true; it can be contingently true for the individual, however.

Then again, isn't the above equation circular in its reasoning? What defines sexy? Being attractive. What defines being attractive? Having physical, mental, and emotional qualities that, when combined, equal somebody's being sexy. I think it's just begging the question, is all.

So, what is truly sexy? It's a stupid question, now that the discussion been reduced to ad hominem and pointing the merits (or lack thereof) of Mensa membership. Oh, and by the way, I still think Kurt Russell married Goldie Hawn for more than just brains. (And Kate Hudson? She's a product of damn good genes, rather than high IQ.)

Sexy is as sexy does, no?

Leonie
07-01-2006, 07:57 AM
One very easy example to show that sexiness is indeed ├╝bersubjective: Orlando Bloom.

Girls swoon over that guy, and I honestly don't get what it is they see. Judging from the Orlando Bloom love/hate thread we had on KKW sometime, I'm not the only girl who thinks he's pretty average, yet others are convinced he is the definition of sexy. If there is indeed a blueprint for sexy; all girls on the planet would have to agree on the (lack of) sexiness of Mr I Was Pretty Good In LOTR As Long As I Didn't Speak. Not the case.

dave
07-01-2006, 09:13 PM
I think it's pretty meaningless to discuss what truly defines sexiness. It's like the blind men and the elephant: you're all poking and feeling certain aspects of the great beast, but you're going nowhere with the totality of its definition.

If one were to use the equation as such (since it's useless to state that any one of those traits would synecdochically be "sexy"):

sexiness = attractiveness + intelligence + compatibility

sexiness = attractiveness + intelligence + compatibility + propinquity (Unless in "Fantasy Mode" where it is OK to say that someone not in the same room is "Sexy".)

Then here one must believe that, if both attractiveness and intelligence are subjective qualities to the observer, then so must sexiness. There can be no true objectivity to sexiness, since, as the cliche goes, it's in the eye of the beholder.

OK, I have a problem with "third party" statements. I find that by NOT attributing statements people have a tendency to think that their "pronouncements" gain "weight" in the argument. Since you can only speak from your viewpoint, do so. Don't speak for me. What you just said would then become:

You must believe that since I am the only person who can judge attractiveness and intelligence then I also must be the only person who can judge "Sexiness". There can not be a general quality of "Sexiness" because I am the only one who can judge whether something is sexy.

Clearly your argument is flawed. Both Attractiveness and Intelligence are not subjective qualities. (i.e. You are not the judge, I am not the judge, We might be if we can agree...)

Since your very first premise is wrong, everything which you posited as following from that premise is nonsense. You are not the judge of what is "Sexy". "Sexy is real, and outside you." You learn what is Sexy, probably from your peer group. You learn it from sources outside yourself. "Nurture, not Nature".

Back in 1954 "Elvis" was Sexy, in the seventies Gene Simmons of "Kiss" was. So, "Sexy" is a moving concept, a group concensus related to When and Where you are.

(And Kate Hudson? She's a product of damn good genes, rather than high IQ.)
Goldie used her intelligence to choose the father. Goldie used her intelligence to raise Kate Hudson to be the woman she is. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005028/bio) . To say that Kate is merely the product of good genes isn't enough to get past my contention that Kate is whom she is because she is a product of Goldie's "intelligent design." (pun intended.)

Sexy is as sexy does, no?

sexiness = attractiveness + intelligence + compatibility + propinquity + actions (Unless in "Fantasy Mode" where it is OK to say that someone not in the same room is "Sexy".)

barrington
07-01-2006, 10:45 PM
What is truly sexy? me.

MrPink
07-01-2006, 11:00 PM
to be honest, normality is wat does it for me.the normal girls. not the obvious run of the mill mega babe. those girls who, at first, don't stand out but the more time u spend with them and the better u get to know them the sexier they become. it's like the curtains in fron of your eyes have been open. the day u realise that a girl is in fact sexy (in your opinion of course) is the most enlightening feeling, for me at least.

acliff
08-01-2006, 12:00 AM
to be honest, normality is wat does it for me.the normal girls. not the obvious run of the mill mega babe. those girls who, at first, don't stand out but the more time u spend with them and the better u get to know them the sexier they become. it's like the curtains in fron of your eyes have been open. the day u realise that a girl is in fact sexy (in your opinion of course) is the most enlightening feeling, for me at least.

Da general tone of da thrd has bin takn down a notch or 2.

dave
08-01-2006, 12:07 AM
to be honest, normality is what does it for me.the normal girls. not the obvious run of the mill mega babe. those girls who, at first, don't stand out but the more time u spend with them and the better u get to know them the sexier they become. it's like the curtains in front of your eyes have been opened. the day u realise that a girl is, in fact, sexy (in your opinion of course) is the most enlightening feeling, for me at least.

One of the things I so loved in my ex-wife was that she was "drop dead gorgeous" and she didn't know it. She had never realized how beautiful she was.

There is another thing. (But it may just be me.) I could not then, nor can I now, describe her to you. Or can I bring up an image of her in my mind. (I've never told anybody that. I've never had this conversation with anyone else. [for one thing, I think they would all lie about this] ) I think this is part of the reason I wanted to spend all my time with her. She put the "beauty" in my world. When she was gone, the "beauty" was too.

sexiness = attractiveness( + Beauty = + humbleness (self effacement) + intelligence) Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054698/) & "Roman Holiday" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046250/) , James Dean in "Rebel Without a Cause" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048545/) , Rebecca Romijn in Femme Fatale (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280665/)
+ compatibility Man of La Mancha (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068909/)
+ propinquity Splash! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088161/)
+ actions Nicole Kidman as "Satine" in "Moulin Rouge" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203009/) Which Moulin Rouge character are you? (http://quizilla.com/users/theandrea/quizzes/What%20Moulin%20Rouge%20Character%20Are%20You%3F)

(Unless in "Fantasy Mode" where it is OK to say that someone has any missing quality) Goldie/Wendy, Gail, & Nancy in "Sin City" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/)

once_dreaded
22-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Okay, Angelina Jolie is sexy. My bro-in-law isn't attracted to her and wanted to know why I was, my answer - extreme confidence, she believes in herself and she KNOWS that she's wanted, she drips sexuality and sexiness without effort...she makes you drool because she is a dom and knows it...she is the master of all things sexy....and I'd gladly be her submissive little slave led to the alter for butchering, why...cuz she'd do it without a second thought LOL.

Okay, real world sexy - a person who is confident, flirtatious, and knows how to rock a "wife-beater" and faded blue jeans. I love me a woman in a tank top and blue jeans...bare foot...leaning in a doorway with the sun behind her...her shadow lengthening across the hardwood floor...okay...enough *cracking up*

Jessie T
22-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Sexy men: Brad Pitt, George Clooney.

Sexy women: Keira Knightley, Angelina Jolie.

Why? If I knew, should be written "ME" above line.