PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy

Alexander
02-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Okay since there's a thread about the existence of God and there was another about abortion and yet another about assisted suicide I figured we might as well have a thread where people can discuss their own personal philosophies about a broad range of things. Of course this isn't very specific so I'll start you off with a very cliche but somewhat controversial topic. What is the meaning of life, or is ther even a meaning of life? Yes it's cliche, but it should get you started. Although the point of this thread is to discuss as many different philosphical questions and subjects as possible, so I don't want you to feel as if you have to stick to this topic. Please feel free to bring up other philosphical questions and subjects if you think of any.

AureaMediocritas
02-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Troughout the history of philosphy , there have been three main possibilities
concerning the problem what humain existence is good for...
In ancient times, most philosophers believed that men should live in harmony with nature as they are nothing but a part of it ; nature in itself was believed
to be controlled by some kind of spirit arranging it appropriately in order to obtain a state of regularity.
Furthermore, humans were considered as beings superior to animals as they were apparently the only ones to be "infected" by that spirit as well (which seems to be proved by the numerous abilities humans have, but not shared by animals : for example , ability of communicating using a specific language).

This view lead to a positive self-consideration of mankind:
everyone is a cosmopolitain ( an inhabitant of the universe with a consistent
existence) living in harmony with the world around. Death is therfore an inevitable but truly natural and necessary phenomenon that has to be reflected upon without fear.(-> metaphysical Anthropology)
Another possibility is (of course) the religious interpretation of human existance (nothing new , I suppose) : men are creatures born only owing to
a omnipotent and personal God whom they strongly depend on. The fact that
they get a special metaphyisical part (named "soul") distinguishes them from
all the other beings on earth as well as the fact that they resemble
- in physical appearance - God himself.
The first sin committed in Paradise turned into - so to say - a curse for the whole mankind : it is a heritage , a huge burden to every human caused by the end of the initially "nice" relationship between God and men that brings up the necessity of a saviour ( in the case of christian religion, Jesus Christ, whereas the Jews are still waiting), who is the only one capable of purging the sin in question.
Practically , this means that every fervent Christian has to live respecting
every aspect of the religion , especially the moral codes and laws...
As a "reward for acceptable behaviour" , they can hope to access to heaven
and eternal life...
The last possibility is the materialistic Anthropology : everything - really without exception - can be proved and explained scientifically... Every attempt to explain existential problems is considered as bull****.
Humans are nothing special , perhaps highly developped animals, yes :
the only difference that can be encountered is gradual !

Personnally, I believe that (unfortunately) the only reason we are down here
is to reproduce... The survival of our "race" (not meant ethnically) is all nature has "programmed" us for.
Of course, this is rather not a satisfying vision af life but at least it permits
to enjoy life ( "We live only once")...

(Omg, i wrote too much, sorry for that ! :icon_redf )

barrington
02-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Some paragraphing would be nice. I'll add my own thoughts later, have to exhume them from another forum first.

NearokA
08-09-2004, 04:47 AM
I believe in freedom. I believe that moral acts and good will are tools to attain freedom. I believe an individual who can attain freedom is worthy of the title, grandmaster.

I believe in happiness. And while this may not be the ultimate end, surely, no one can live without some happiness.

Death is the end. The ultimate end for all people. But perhaps you can find some solace in this saying, It's not the destination that counts, it's the journey. While death may be the destination we all must face, I think it's worthwhile to focus on the journey it takes to get there. That is, live your life. Pursue knowledge, find nirvana, find a bit of happiness. That is all one really can do.

And in the end, who knows, may be there is some being out there that will look upon your achievements and smile. And this need not be some omnipotent god of some sort, it may very well be the graceful presence of your dog or someone that loves you unconditionally or maybe that kid you bought ice cream for that one fine day you found your true love.

Spartakus
08-09-2004, 10:12 AM
I believe in my ancestors philosophy,the Ancient Hellenic philosophy.

NearokA
09-09-2004, 01:16 AM
I believe in my ancestors philosophy,the Ancient Hellenic philosophy.

Care to elaborate or shall I just "guess" at what you mean?