PDA

View Full Version : Assisted Suicide

Nick
29-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Well a while back there was a thread about abortion and now there's one about the existence of God, so I figured I'd continue the trend of controversial topics.

My opinion is I don't think there's anything wrong with assisted suicide if a person has an incurable disease (such as cancer which can be an excruciating way to die) and they just want to be put out of their misery.

I would like to know some of your opinions on this subject.

ChocolateMoose
29-07-2004, 10:17 AM
I agree with you. I think there is nothing wrong with Euthanasia if the person gives there full consent while not under anything which may influence them. I think that if they have a disease which makes them not quite clear on whats happening so they can't focus on whats around them and they wish to commit (is that the correct term?) Euthanasia then it is wrong. The person has to be aware of what they're going to do.

Sarah
29-07-2004, 10:25 AM
It is funny that you should bring this up. Just the other day, a case poped up in the news about a father who has been arrested for the murder of his 10 year old son. Its been written about in the papers as a 'mercy killing' because the young boy had Hunter's disease (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) and he was constantly in pain and had no quality of life.

If it turns out that he did indeed kill his son then I hope he doesn't have to go to prison, which he probably will. I think the law should be changed for things like this.

hasselbrad
29-07-2004, 12:10 PM
If stupidty could be considered terminal, I'd be all for it. Hell, I'd volunteer for a "euthanasia team". :)
Seriously though, it's such a sticky situation, because even if there is a living will, someone usually is going to fight it. This isn't euthanasia exactly, but we have this Terri Schiavo case going on here in Tampa. She is in a vegetative state and her husband wants to pull the plug. She's been this way for something like ten years, and has shown no real improvement. Her will stated that she not be kept alive through artificial means (which she is), but her parents and family won't let her go.
I think that if a patient is in a vegetative state, or is in a great deal of pain and terminally ill, euthanasia is the only humane way to go.

Narg
29-07-2004, 12:21 PM
I think in some cases it should be allowed, but the person has to be in a clear sate of mind, death is better than living in pure agony.

DefyingGravity
29-07-2004, 12:46 PM
I agree with BreNarg said. That's what happened to my grandmother. But only if there's absolutely no chance of them having a better quality of life.

Hazzle
29-07-2004, 11:56 PM
How can we know the person's consented to it?

I only agree to living wills...anything more is dubious...I'm not AGAINST assisted suicide, I'm just, for once, sitting on the fence as I don't think I've heard enough about safeguards to ensure it works. I agree in theory, in practice I have doubts.

apoggy
30-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Assisted suicide is a complex subject, as there is so many permutations of what could have actually happened, anybody who does help, in a worst case senario, could be convicted of murder.
Suicide assistance isnt need i dont think anyway, unless you are totally paralysed, which even then you could commit suicide. If you can move your arms, inject yourself with a high dose of painkillers are the like, somebody has to acquire the drugs, but let them leave the house and get a strong alibi, it just makes more sense

Kelsey
30-07-2004, 05:33 AM
I would rather just be put out of my misery, and I've already informed my family of that. I don't want to be brain dead, I don't want to be paralyzed, and I don't want to be in a coma. I would rather the little life support plug just be pulled.

I think that as long as it is consented by the person, there shouldn't be a huge problem. There's a case over here concerning a woman who has been in a coma for years and years and years, and her husband want to just pull the plug, but her parents won't let him. They've gotten into a huge argument and lawsuit over someone who may never even wake up.

hasselbrad
30-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Kelsey,
Is that the Schiavo case, or is there another bunch of selfish sods unwilling to let go?

Hazzle
30-07-2004, 04:22 PM
I would rather just be put out of my misery, and I've already informed my family of that. I don't want to be brain dead, I don't want to be paralyzed, and I don't want to be in a coma. I would rather the little life support plug just be pulled.

I think that as long as it is consented by the person, there shouldn't be a huge problem. There's a case over here concerning a woman who has been in a coma for years and years and years, and her husband want to just pull the plug, but her parents won't let him. They've gotten into a huge argument and lawsuit over someone who may never even wake up.

Hence my support for living wills. Everyone of suitable age should have a will, and should have a codicil with provisions in the event of their being on life support.

Kelsey
30-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Kelsey,
Is that the Schiavo case, or is there another bunch of selfish sods unwilling to let go?

I'm not sure of the people's names. It could be.

johnnyboy
31-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Jack Kevorkian came up with this no?
I believe it should be legalized, the Netherlands has, at least in the most dire cases, so why not the world, why be so afraid of death, and I don't know who said this, if anyone did, but isnt death the greatest adventure of all?

Hazzle
01-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Jack Kevorkian came up with this no?
I believe it should be legalized, the Netherlands has, at least in the most dire cases, so why not the world, why be so afraid of death, and I don't know who said this, if anyone did, but isnt death the greatest adventure of all?

It's not about being afraid of death...it's about letting murderers hide their crimes as something they're not :)

Mags
01-08-2004, 04:25 AM
and I don't know who said this, if anyone did, but isnt death the greatest adventure of all?

Holy crap! Dustin Hoffman's character said that in Hook...what a splendid movie. That film rocked my socks off.

anyway, assisted suicide eh? Lately (mostly because of my job working for a senior citizen insurance company) I've been thinking more and more that maybe I don't even want to make it to old age. These people have next to no money, completely rely on social security (which will most likely be gone by the time I need it) and get almost nothing out of their lives. I mainly agree with what everyone else has said. It's got to be consensual. I believe the paper work is called advanced directives, and I definitely know I'll be utilizing those.

AKIRA
01-08-2004, 06:58 PM
correct me if im wrong but isnt suicide killing yourself, so if you assist someone isnt it murder?

acliff
01-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Diminished responsibility.
If you cannot kill yourself but want to, and ask someone else to end your life for you, then that would be assisted suicide.

One of my life's aims is to not get into a position where I might consider suicide.
If such a time comes, I'd want to cause people the least amount of distress possible. If there is no chance of recovery, and I'm paralysed, then yes, I'd rather die. I love my freedom of movement.

rabbit
02-08-2004, 01:23 AM
correct me if im wrong but isnt suicide killing yourself, so if you assist someone isnt it murder?

good point. if murder is the 'intention to kill a human being'..then why isnt assisted suicide muder??? Maybe the law needs to be changed...or be defined clearer.

I'm for euthanasia for terminal illness, vegetative state etc....as its life... lifes a 'beetch' but if death comes for everyone....then why not end it as the person wishes then....

i think in the uk..the law is changing..so as power is taken from the doctors saying no..to more in the hands of the family and the law courts...

Hazzle
02-08-2004, 01:27 AM
good point. if murder is the 'intention to kill a human being'..then why isnt assisted suicide muder??? Maybe the law needs to be changed...or be defined clearer.

I'm for euthanasia for terminal illness, vegetative state etc....as its life... lifes a 'beetch' but if death comes for everyone....then why not end it as the person wishes then....

i think in the uk..the law is changing..so as power is taken from the doctors saying no..to more in the hands of the family and the law courts...

Assisted suicide IS murder...that's why the problem arises. People feel it shouldn't be, so a method to allow it needs to be come up with...so goes the argument.

alby
02-08-2004, 05:43 AM
If some guy wants to end his life, let him. It's his life.

Holy crap! Dustin Hoffman's character said that in Hook...what a splendid movie. That film rocked my socks off.

:icon_lol: