PDA

View Full Version : Does Kiera Knightley affect any of you?

amy
11-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi there
I'm an A level Media student who's studying the module "Women in Film" and keira Knightley is my main piece.
I was wondering if any of you could help me out with my coursework by posting answers to a few questions on how women areaffected by the portrayal of women in films and also how keira is represented in her films and what effect you think she has on others.

Any refernce to Keira in these quaestions in fine and even if you only want to pick out one or two questions from these to answer, even for that i would be very grateful.

1. Do you think women have been given more power in life in reflection to the way women are portrayed in films?
2. Do you think films have had an influence on gender stereotyping?
3. Do you think Keira being represented the way she is influences the way teenage girls see themselves and who/ how they aspire to be?
4. Do you think there is a generated perfect female stereotype (both in personality or physically) from films?
5. How do you think the role of women have changed over time (with reference to that of women in films)?
6. Is the issue of gender equality still relevant in films today?

help me people i'm relying on you!
Thank you so much
Amy x

Darren
17-09-2008, 03:42 AM
#1. Do you think women have been given more power in life in reflection to the way women are portrayed in films?
A: The Spice Girls had a message for woman power n' such. I'll leave it there.

#2. 2. Do you think films have had an influence on gender stereotyping?
A: I can see them as being influential as the stereo types are changing.

#3. Do you think Keira being represented the way she is influences the way teenage girls see themselves and who/ how they aspire to be?
A: Funny. Cute. Accent. Self assured. I am aspired

#4. Do you think there is a generated perfect female stereotype (both in personality or physically) from films?
A: I like Keira. Jolly Good.

#5. How do you think the role of women have changed over time (with reference to that of women in films)?
A: Well they vote and run for president now...The confident ones like their bosoms. For the record I didn't check the photo but wouldn't it be funny if they made a digital error one shifted higher than the other? Meh maybe it's just me.

#6. Is the issue of gender equality still relevant in films today?
A: James Bond movies or The Notebook? Apples & Oranges

Ian
17-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Amy

I've mailed you separately.

Ian

nightNwhitesatin
18-09-2008, 05:09 AM
1. Do you think women have been given more power in life in reflection to the way women are portrayed in films?
I am not a women so I wouldn't know but I would say that if the powerful adventurous roles were in more movies it would definitely have that effect due to sociological and psychological facts about humans.
2. Do you think films have had an influence on gender stereotyping?
Films have an influence on anything and everything.
3. Do you think Keira being represented the way she is influences the way teenage girls see themselves and who/ how they aspire to be?
Absolutely and not only roles and movies but their own real life personal preferences such as Lindsey Lohan.
4. Do you think there is a generated perfect female stereotype (both in personality or physically) from films?
Some films try to manifest that Hollywood does just that superfluously but are rare and predominantly this "Perfect Female Stereotype" is displayed.
5. How do you think the role of women have changed over time (with reference to that of women in films)?
One word: Drastically.
Elaborated: Women have gone from standing on a chair screaming because there is a mouse to Reese Witherspoon asking Keifer Southerland if he takes Jesus as his personal lord and savior and then blowing the side of his face off.
6. Is the issue of gender equality still relevant in films today?
Some films are absolutely trying to advocate that in a big way while most do it in a small way.

Conclusion: I think that it would be fair to say that women should be given the main character and lead role more often but Hollywood doesn't favor such a type of film nor a female as the lead role. This is why I believe that Female actresses, such as Keira, should be more active in and enabled to be in films with the females being the lead role and main character of the movie/film.
In my opinion I believe that the more the role of that type of film is and the lead role being a female aggressive gun shooting sophisticated and intelligent character then it will be achieved more quickly for females to attain as you put it gender equality in films.
Sincerely,
Ian Fleming of the 21st Century