PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Long Time Vistor, First Time Poster.

TheAnswerMVP2001
08-08-2008, 01:01 AM
I've been a long time visitor to the website and finally decided I might as well check out the forums! Keira's among my favorite actresses and what I like about her is she's consistent, and picks good roles, although it would be nice to see her a larger variety of films every once in a while. None the less happy to be here and also would like to throw out my website address, a hobby of mine is writing movie reviews, I wrote reviews on Rotten Tomatoes since 2005, but recently decided to branch out and start my own movie review blog because RT's blog format is sorely lacking. Right now it's in it's infancy stage, and I'm transferring over a lot of older reviews I wrote as well as new ones, but I have a lot of different features coming and a lot of Keira reviews that I'll be posting soon. So I would be glad for any visits, comments or feedback, I always enjoy discussing movies.

My site is linked in my sig but you can also visit this page ( http://commonsensemoviereviews.blogspot.com/2008/07/complete-list-of-reviewed-films.html ) which is a list of all the current reviews I have up and each picture links to the particular review.

I look forward to posting here!

Mijo
08-08-2008, 07:18 AM
It's kinda creepy that you admit to stalking the site without ever joining...until now that is.

TheAnswerMVP2001
08-08-2008, 08:17 AM
It's kinda creepy that you admit to stalking the site without ever joining...until now that is.

I've actually never been in the forums, just the main site. So I'm not a lurker.

Mijo
08-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Well that's comforting...

TheAnswerMVP2001
08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Well that's comforting...

Well thanks for the kind and warm welcome, you sure know how to get off on the right foot and make new friends. :|

Mijo
08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Oh come on...I'm nice really.

Welcome. Some of the others shall welcome you as well, I am sure.

I like your banner for your reviews site...those are rich pics.

I read your review for The Eye, and you don't suck at reviewing...so keep it up. ;)

TheAnswerMVP2001
08-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Oh come on...I'm nice really.

Welcome. Some of the others shall welcome you as well, I am sure.

I like your banner for your reviews site...those are rich pics.

I read your review for The Eye, and you don't suck at reviewing...so keep it up. ;)

That's more of a welcome, I guess I'll stop lurking outside your window then...:spy: but seriously glad you didn't think my review "sucked". And welcome to you as well, since your just as new here as I.

Mijo
08-08-2008, 09:34 AM
...how old are you?

putting quotes around 'sucked.'

TheAnswerMVP2001
08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
...how old are you?

putting quotes around 'sucked.'

I think the more appropriate question is how old are you that you use the word suck? And quotes seemed appropriate to point out your half hearted complement, since the word suck pretty much negates any type of positivity. A little overly judgmental tonight aren't we? So much for the "I'm nice really"... oh no quotes again!

Leonie
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Right. Hi. Hello. Let's start afresh, shall we?

Welcome and have fun! (tip: it's easier to have fun when you don't get into fights straight off the bat - both of ya)

TheAnswerMVP2001
08-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Right. Hi. Hello. Let's start afresh, shall we?

Welcome and have fun! (tip: it's easier to have fun when you don't get into fights straight off the bat - both of ya)

I totally agree, but it's a little difficult when the other individual seems keen on judging everything you say.

Leonie
08-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Ignorance (in the "to ignore" sense) is bliss. You need a bit of a thick skin around here sometimes.

TheAnswerMVP2001
08-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Ignorance (in the "to ignore" sense) is bliss. You need a bit of a thick skin around here sometimes.

Yes, I'll acclimate. This type of behavior is nothing compared to those that inhabit the Rotten Tomatoes forums but I've been there for 4 years so it's almost natural. But with new settings comes relearning!

Anyways, thanks for the welcome.

Leonie
08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Not to worry, you'll be fine :) Now go and have some fun, instead of having a sparring match with old mate Mijo :D

Mijo
08-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow...It never occurred to me that it would be nicer of me to use the Queen's English while conversing online.

I'm not very enthusiastic about film reviews. So when I say it didn't suck, what I should have said was: It was good enough that I read the entire thing.

TheAnswerMVP2001
10-08-2008, 09:16 AM
New section up at the site, The Top 10 Most Popular Reviews:

http://commonsensemoviereviews.blogspot.com/2008/08/top-10-popular-reviews.html

Ameriel
10-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey, nice to see you. Your reviews definitely don't suck or 'suck' at all. Best wishes ;)

Porcelain_Doll
10-08-2008, 08:41 PM
When I read the word "sparring" I somehow envisioned the term "cock fighting" in my head. And laughed at it. In my head.

Anyway, hi to Mr. Non-lurker Reviewer.

The first thing I noticed when I went into your site was "oooh...shiiiiny", and while the twinkle twinkle stars stupefied me for a minute or so, I read a few reviews and found them quite...well, sensible. Your blog is aptly named, though you don't seem to take much risks while writing, almost as though you were afraid of offending people. But that's just a thought, after all, I only read a couple and I tend to judge rather quickly.

that's my feedback, anyhow. Welcome to the forums, hope you have fun :)

TheAnswerMVP2001
11-08-2008, 03:49 AM
When I read the word "sparring" I somehow envisioned the term "cock fighting" in my head. And laughed at it. In my head.

Anyway, hi to Mr. Non-lurker Reviewer.

The first thing I noticed when I went into your site was "oooh...shiiiiny", and while the twinkle twinkle stars stupefied me for a minute or so, I read a few reviews and found them quite...well, sensible. Your blog is aptly named, though you don't seem to take much risks while writing, almost as though you were afraid of offending people. But that's just a thought, after all, I only read a couple and I tend to judge rather quickly.

that's my feedback, anyhow. Welcome to the forums, hope you have fun :)

Thanks! I'm not exactly sure what you mean by taking a risk in terms of my writing, my main goal is to basically show the positives and negatives of a film in hopes of giving people more information on a film they might be interested in seeing. Just because I don't like something I try to pick points out that still might appeal to others. I get a little tired of critics like Michael Philips or Richard Roeper who seem to be completely one sided, if they don't like something nobody will and if they love something everyone should, I try to play to both sides on most films, and you'll find I'm not easily impressed I don't hand out very many perfect scores at all.

Although what's on my blog right now is only a taste of about 300 reviews I have written in the past and I'm in the process of transferring over, there are definitely quite a few films I go on a rather large rant about, one of them up there is Death Proof in which I say:

"people who seem to be die hard Tarantino fans have some sort of screw loose in their brain"

Surely someone would be insulted by that! There's more to come, I definitely haven't delved into some of my more horrible viewing experiences yet.

Mijo
11-08-2008, 05:06 AM
"people who seem to be die hard Tarantino fans have some sort of screw loose in their brain"

Tarantino has ADD. I believe he peaked with Pulp Fiction, and knows it...and has been having a good time ever since. Seeing as how I'm also a bit of a scatterbrain, I enjoy his films. Tarantino fans are quirky and most probably don't give a shit about the screw loose in their brains.

<I'm holding up a peace sign>Where were you educated and did you do any film studies courses? I prefer to know whether or not I'm reading the opinions of an informed individual...

Mandy
11-08-2008, 05:33 AM
For a long time visitor, you should probably know a little how some of us behave. Most of it is in jest though. It's the way our minds work sometimes, not sure why.

Welcome! I haven't read your reviews yet, but it's possible that I get put off by reading other peoples' sites when they are constantly posting about it.

Maybe I'll get around to it! ttfn.

TheAnswerMVP2001
11-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Tarantino has ADD. I believe he peaked with Pulp Fiction, and knows it...and has been having a good time ever since. Seeing as how I'm also a bit of a scatterbrain, I enjoy his films. Tarantino fans are quirky and most probably don't give a shit about the screw loose in their brains.

<I'm holding up a peace sign>Where were you educated and did you do any film studies courses? I prefer to know whether or not I'm reading the opinions of an informed individual...

I took a couple film classes in college for an easy A and some easy credits for my General Education, but other than that nothing more. I'm not basing my reviews on technical aspects of how a film is made, I'm basing my reviews on bare common sense (hence the name). Movie reviews are for the most part purely opinions, if I was basing them of how the actual movie was made, directed, created, etc, I could see where film education might be important.

Mainly I write my reviews as a creative outlet, I'm relatively decent at it, and have found enjoyment in. Personally I've found reviews written by the average individual, who isn't a professional film critic, to be a lot more informative than Richard Roeper telling me to go watch some incredibly boring independent film. I think sometimes a critics education in film tends to get in the way of what the average viewer is essentially looking for... an enjoyable film. I'll watch the occasional independent movie every once in a while if it strikes my fancy but I mainly watch movies for the enjoyment, not to appreciate them for some technical aspect, which I think the majority of people do as well.

So in a nutshell I breakout what I like and dislike and you make you're own decision about whether it's something you might want to see. It's common sense, a lot of people seem to need to be educated in that, some don't.

TheAnswerMVP2001
11-08-2008, 07:50 AM
For a long time visitor, you should probably know a little how some of us behave. Most of it is in jest though. It's the way our minds work sometimes, not sure why.

Maybe you missed this when I said it the first time, but I've been a long time vistor to the main site, I've only ventured into the forums in the past few days.

Welcome! I haven't read your reviews yet, but it's possible that I get put off by reading other peoples' sites when they are constantly posting about it.
Understand that, which is why I've limited posting anything about it in this thread, and in the movie thread in the O/T section. I didn't see any issue with posting a link to my review when I'm posting what I recently watched, it adds a little extra for those who might be interested in watching the same film as well.

Leonie
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Pfff. I call snob.

Peace sign or not :P

Mijo
11-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm relatively decent at it

Disagree.

Pfff. I call snob.

Do snobs slob on knobs?

Leonie
11-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I'd say you'd know better than me.

Mandy
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Maybe you missed this when I said it the first time, but I've been a long time vistor to the main site, I've only ventured into the forums in the past few days.

Ahhh got it. It was the impression I got from the title. I'm bad at reading actual posts. I skim, really.

I didn't see any issue with posting a link to my review when I'm posting what I recently watched, it adds a little extra for those who might be interested in watching the same film as well.

It's fine, but since you have it in your signature, I don't see a big reason to link it so much. Could be misconstrued as advertising. :-)

Porcelain_Doll
11-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Pfff. I call snob.

Peace sign or not :P

what?

Disagree.

don't be a jackass, hun.

Do snobs slob on knobs?

I repeat myself: what?

Me no comprende $)

Mijo
12-08-2008, 03:23 AM
I'd say you'd know better than me.

You're right. I do know better than you.

Could be misconstrued as advertising.

Agree

I repeat myself: what? Me no comprende $)

It could have something to do with multi-quoting or not having read posts on the previous page. No me importa >:)

Mandy
12-08-2008, 03:58 AM
You're right. I do know better than you.

I understand that you want to come off as cunning, clever, and witty. But right now, you're just being a cunt. I love you, but no.

Mijo
12-08-2008, 04:13 AM
I'm a snob and a cunt--I'll tone it down then.

Thanks.

Porcelain_Doll
12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I understand that you want to come off as cunning, clever, and witty. But right now, you're just being a cunt. I love you, but no.

A cunt? Your standards seem somewhat low...he's a plain ol' jerk to me.

It could have something to do with multi-quoting or not having read posts on the previous page. No me importa >:)

It was probably because the only version of "snob" I know is when referring to a stuck up person, and it didn't make much sense with what she said..maybe Elle was reffering to another meaning I don't know.
And your "I don't care :mean little face:" was incredibly childish, btw.

Mandy
12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Right, I think we all need to take two steps backwards and hug ourselves.

He's already said he's going to back off. It wasn't as good as an apology, but it'll have to do for now.

<3

Porcelain_Doll
12-08-2008, 09:33 PM
*nods* Maybe I'll change my title to "The Constant Claw Sharpener" :P

TheAnswerMVP2001
13-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Disagree.

That's actually more than fine, if you agreed with me on anything, I'd be worried about my own sanity.

Mijo
13-08-2008, 03:38 AM
I can't believe you think 'jerk' is worse than 'cunt.' I didn't apologize because I don't think what I said to Leonie was all that offensive--seeing as how it was said in jest. However, I was stung by Mandy's comment--I believe she was just tired of my antagonism in general...and for that, I apologize.

FYI-Leonie called me a snob because I asked MVP for his educational credentials, and that does make me a bit of snob--but really, I'm glad I did ask him, because I'd rather not read movie reviews written by someone who took "a couple of film studies courses to get an easy 'A.'" The wording alone shows a lack of appreciation for the artistic medium. Furthermore, his rhetoric about film criticism from an educated stand point lacking in 'common sense' is completely flawed--I'm not going to take the opinion of a 5 year old that Delacroix was a better painter than Monet, simply because her opinion seems to be common sense. At this point, I don't mean to attack MVP personally, but my opinion, from the 3 reviews I've read, is that his reviews are not common sense, they are simply common; and furthermore, they are more a disgorgement of plot than a criticism.

I began being a cunt to him because I genuinely believe he is only here to advertise his blog...and this bores me.

Yes, the 'I don't care' was childish--I behave childishly when bored, so sorry if my childish drunken comment offended you.

jukebox81782
13-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Hello all...

nothing like a night full of fighting w/people I don't know about things I could care less about to send me over the edge to happyland.

I can't wait!! 8:

Hollysince1985
13-08-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm a snob and a cunt--I'll tone it down then.

Thanks.

I think it's time to go Boston Tea party up in here.

Mijo:
You should not have to apologize to these humorless, deluded, and narcissistic twats. If they can't take the heat, they should get the fuck out of the forum.

Mandy:
Calling Mijo a cunt because he is talented at stressing a point is completely uncalled for. His gifted way with words and grammar really shake up this place, and not to mention, he adds the spice to this bland party dip of Keira loving.

And spare me the private note about censorship. I'm a US Constitution die-hard and I practice my rights passionately. If you really want to be helpful, then turn the sirens off. Policing the forums really turns this place into a dreadfully boring and creativity stifling cyberHELL.

Fuck da police!

Everyone:
I understand that we're all unhappy, portly overeaters with no social life outside of the KKW, but we shouldn't be taking our frustrations out on one another. Unite--or go eat a Twinkie!

May peace be restored.

jukebox81782
13-08-2008, 06:30 AM
he adds the spice to this bland party dip of Keira loving.

More like the bean-dip...hAh!!

Unite--or go eat a Twinkie!

Good idea. I'm hella craving something cream-filled! :D

Leonie
13-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I think it's time to go Boston Tea party up in here.

Mijo:
You should not have to apologize to these humorless, deluded, and narcissistic twats. If they can't take the heat, they should get the fuck out of the forum.

Mandy:
Calling Mijo a cunt because he is talented at stressing a point is completely uncalled for. His gifted way with words and grammar really shake up this place, and not to mention, he adds the spice to this bland party dip of Keira loving.

I think you'll find that the moderators and admins (i.e. Mandy) make the rules, whether they agree with your constitution or not. As the Zeus of KKW, Barrington, puts it:

"5. Respect the decisions and recommendations of the forum leaders. Their response to antisocial behavior is discretionary yet fair. We don’t encounter much trouble here but heeding their advice is always wise. If you disagree then you are welcome to start your own forum elsewhere."

In other words, if you can't stand the humourless, deluded and narcissistic twats, you are more than welcome to start your own KKW elsewhere.

Hollysince1985
13-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I think you'll find that the moderators and admins (i.e. Mandy) make the rules, whether they agree with your constitution or not. As the Zeus of KKW, Barrington, puts it:

"5. Respect the decisions and recommendations of the forum leaders. Their response to antisocial behavior is discretionary yet fair. We donít encounter much trouble here but heeding their advice is always wise. If you disagree then you are welcome to start your own forum elsewhere."

In other words, if you can't stand the humourless, deluded and narcissistic twats, you are more than welcome to start your own KKW elsewhere.

Leonie:
Two words: Fuck off! And I will gladly leave this shithole! Kick me out! Tell your little mods and admins to do it.

But first, admit that you're a loser and so is Keira Knightley!

YOU ALL ARE!!!! Cultish, egotistical, sad, vibrator-fucking, Idol worshipping, soulless MOTHERFUCKERS!

I will not go out quietly!

In the words of Johnny Rotten/Lydon
"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

Additionally,
Maybe in another lifetime we can be friends.

I'm gone.

Leonie
13-08-2008, 09:27 AM
You had no idea how right you were when you posted that, had you? :P

Mijo
13-08-2008, 02:09 PM
I will not go out quietly!

In the words of Johnny Rotten/Lydon
"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

AHAHAHAHHAHA! LMAO, I love a firecracker--banned or no.

Who the hell is Johnny Rotten/Lydon? Oh wait she's banned...i'm going to have to look it up on Wikipedia, damn it.

RIP Hollysince1985.

Digital_Ice
13-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Who the hell is Johnny Rotten/Lydon?

*beats Mijo to death with a copy of Never Mind The Bollocks...*

TheAnswerMVP2001
15-08-2008, 04:39 AM
WOW. Can't say I'm surprised at the recent posts by our seemingly sarcastic friend. Seems like someone who was bent on insulting everyone would finally blow it after people got tired of his snide remarks, frankly I'm surprised he wasn't banned on day 1. Sad really how some people have no life that they spend their time picking fights on forums.