PDA

View Full Version : Piracy

Hazzle
26-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Meh...discussion began on piracy under a KA thread...figured it was off topic and getting into general discussion territory...so here...discuss piracy to your heart's content. I'm too tired to chip in right now.

Richard
26-07-2004, 02:16 AM
I believe the line "Use, but don't abuse" takes affect into this discussion, hugely. Every now and then, I tend to take interest in a partial heard song and I want to listen to it in full. The attempt in finding it without using programs like Kazaa, makes everything more frustrating. I wrote a shit report on Piracy for my English class but I'm too lazy to dig into my closet full of dust. (And in this California heat.) Like Haz, I'll further explain my reasons... later. I know the pros and cons to it, I somewhat accept music piracy, but not film piracy. That's just wrong.

frodo1511
26-07-2004, 02:24 AM
I don't care much for it. People get in trouble for it, if caught, and for those who somehow don't get caught, well, there meanies. I think that it's bad for the movie/game/cd industry, in that the companies who distribute the material don't get a single cent off pirated goodies. Took me a week to figure out burning a CD wasn't illegal, though.

Narg
26-07-2004, 02:49 AM
Im a pirate, i wont pay for anything if i can get a rip, or a burnt copy of it, mainly cos im fairly poor, i do pay for some things tho, i.e i will be buying half-life 2 and doom 3, most likley will be buying the KA dvd, but i never purchase music cd's.

DesignatedJerk
26-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Im a pirate, i wont pay for anything if i can get a rip, or a burnt copy of it, mainly cos im fairly poor, i do pay for some things tho, i.e i will be buying half-life 2 and doom 3, most likley will be buying the KA dvd, but i never purchase music cd's.

i do the same. I mean lets face it. S**t's expensive. if you can get S**t for half price,or nothing at all go for it.

I mean for instance games. that s**t is pretty expensive. 30 to 50 bucks a pop. after i got ps2 modded and a dvd burner, I can just rent em now and burn em.

although Xbox and game cube games as well as dvds i will buy. well untill i find a way to burn xbox and game cube games.

Richard
26-07-2004, 03:22 AM
i do the same. I mean lets face it. S**t's expensive. if you can get S**t for half price,or nothing at all go for it.

I mean for instance games. that s**t is pretty expensive. 30 to 50 bucks a pop. after i got ps2 modded and a dvd burner, I can just rent em now and burn em.

although Xbox and game cube games as well as dvds i will buy. well untill i find a way to burn xbox and game cube games.

Games for the recent systems are rather expensive. Luckily, the only recent system I own is the PSone, so I don't have to worry about getting caught up gaming hype. Playstation games are cheap as hell, so I enjoy it.

We should all be proud that DVD's have finally reached a good buying price; anything from $5.50 to $8.88 is alright, but sometimes I think it's rather foolish to sell something 2 times as much when in all reality it costs probably a couple cents to make... or is that music CD's? Doesn't matter, it's still stupid. Piracy I think is a good way of letting the people in charge know that we're sick of putting up with your high prices of just about everything. If they do choose to reply with "we'll put those who do, behind bars" You might as well arrest half of the world, because I have reasons to believe we all secretly do it. My teachers do it for god sake's, it's just getting ridiculous.

The VHS on the otherhand, has really changed, bigtime. I remember when those suckers were worth $24 and possibly more. That's more and beyond ridiculous, but I guess during that time it was normal. Now, there worth $3 and nobody buys them. It's even more embarrassing that I fell for it, I'm not proud of it, but I did indeed buy The Matrix on VHS for $24. :mad:

Whatever tickles your fancy people. It's up to you, because you're not a bad person if you do.

IeatDogs
26-07-2004, 04:41 AM
I like it but file sharing programs always mess up my computer.

Josher
26-07-2004, 04:59 AM
That's why you use the original Kazaa Lite K++ . It has been discontinued, but it is still out there on google if you look hard enough. It has no spyware, no adds no crap, just fun :) .

Hazzle
26-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Took me a week to figure out burning a CD wasn't illegal, though.

Depends what it's of. Odds are it is illegal though :D

Jacoby
26-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Piracy is fine by me. I only download a few songs, then I'll usually go out and buy the CD if the songs are good. I've downloaded 1 movie before and I'm going to buy the dvd as soon as it comes out, so it's fine. I can still get in trouble for it though, and I'm sure saying "Well I was going to buy the dvd anyway" won't let me off. All you have to do is move the files from the shared folder :) , then they can't see how much you've actually downloaded.
I suggest a file sharing service called 'Limeware'....my friend(;)) has it and it doesn't have any spy-ware or anything....

frodo1511
27-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Depends what it's of. Odds are it is illegal though :D

What if you want to make a backup of a CD? I understand "burning" for music CD's, since I have about 20 of those, but, say you want to copy a PC game, like Far Cry. Can you do that, even if your friend, but not yourself, ownes the game?

Richard
27-07-2004, 02:31 AM
What if you want to make a backup of a CD? I understand "burning" for music CD's, since I have about 20 of those, but, say you want to copy a PC game, like Far Cry. Can you do that, even if your friend, but not yourself, ownes the game?

I think it's rather stupid to say that you have a family of four and each of you has their own computer and one of you buys one copy of Microsoft XP and can't expect to share it. Can you believe it's actually illegal to do that when you're in the same household? Apparently you can't ever use the exact copy and the serial number included in the box. But it does work. :icon_surp

So I say screw it. Make copies, just don't sell it. But in your situation, do whatever you want.

Dyce_Blue
27-07-2004, 02:34 AM
I got a laptop right after the family bought a new computer, and I was expecting to use the MS Works suite and XP Pro from the family computer. I was in dismay to know that I couldn't register either on my computer. I am now using Word with 31 uses left on it before it shuts down.

spitinthacoola
27-07-2004, 03:13 AM
I don't have a problem with it. I don't feel bad for companies/bands that make CD's at all. There's a statistic I read that 2000 downloaded songs costs record companies 1 dollar. If CD companies don't want their music ripped then I think they should make it affordable.

Glare
27-07-2004, 03:19 AM
Can I get a mod or admin to remove this thread, warez/piracy are against the rules.

alby
27-07-2004, 06:12 AM
Technically, downloading copyrighted material is a violation of intellectual property and for which there can be severe penalties.

Downloading is like underage drinking. Do at your own risk.

High costs of CDs, DVDs, etc. may be due to overhead costs. I think companies should take advantage of people's propensity to download material.

Right now the music industry is targeting people who have in excess of a certain amount of downloads -- meaning you would have had to download a shitload of stuff.

It's said that sharing stuff makes you more vulnerable to being caught.

Happy hunting.

KRev
27-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Does anyone remember if piracy was such a big deal when people were making mix tapes of Vanilla Ice and Paula Abdul?

Or is it such a stink now because consumer technology is now available to (mass) produce reasonable facsimilies to the original product?

frodo1511
27-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Does anyone remember if piracy was such a big deal when people were making mix tapes of Vanilla Ice and Paula Abdul?

Or is it such a stink now because consumer technology is now available to (mass) produce reasonable facsimilies to the original product?

My guess is the latter of your two questions, KRev.

barrington
27-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Warez makes baby jesus cry.