PDA

View Full Version : Books

Ashley
22-06-2004, 03:58 AM
This was on the last forum and I though tit was a good thread, I'm always looking for new books to read. So post what books you are reading/have read/want to read here!

Right now I'm still reading The Tao of Pooh. This book rocks, I encourage everyone who wants to think deeper to read it.
Another book I read is The Path To Tranquility by The Dalai Lama. It's a daily type thing where you read a page a day and reflect on what is said. Helps a lot with stress.

apoggy
22-06-2004, 09:50 AM
I haven't read a book in years, I just sorta stopped. If you could tell me one book to read what would it be and why?

Vertical Vortex
22-06-2004, 10:26 AM
My last novel book was LOTR trilogy

now i only read 'The art of' lotr, shrek, Final Fantasy and stuff like that. Very intresting.

gracie
22-06-2004, 11:14 AM
well clearly i need to pick up the clinton bio, all 957 pgs of it. yeah thats important. um my favorite book are the belljar and brave new world. the last thing i read was who's afraid of virginia woolf and reread hedda gabler, love that play

ryan
22-06-2004, 11:52 AM
i've been thinking about picking up a copy of 'the once and future king' lately.
perhaps i can convince myself to actually read something.

Vertical Vortex
22-06-2004, 01:33 PM
One of my favourite book's has to be "Count of Monte Cristo" which I first read at age of 11, along with "war and peace" and many others. These days I'm more into sci fi and fantasy books, especially Robin Hobb, Cecilia Dart Thornton and Robert Newcomb, but Count of Monte Cristo is still the best. Revenge, poisonings, intrigue!

I have just bought and started to read “Dude Where’s My Country?” by Michael Moore, he makes me INTRESTED in politics and the state of the world! You either love it or hate it! Well, I love it!).
Here are a few pages from Amazon with editorial reviews (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0446532231/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-0103881-0685612)

Never read the book, but have seen the movie "count of monte cristo'. Really loved it, a beautifull flick.
I love Michael Moore's documantairys, and his serie the Awfull Truth (ore something) with pistol pete :D

Newell4keira
22-06-2004, 04:06 PM
I am currently starting my 1st book for years and i chose LOTR, so can anyone tell me how it compares to the film?

Jacoby
22-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Waaaaay better than the film. With a book you can go much more in depth with detail than in a film. So I think you'll enjoy the books Newell.

The book I'm reading right now is ''East of Eden'' by Steinbeck. It's a classic, and it's a very beautiful book. After that I'm interested in reading "Angeles and Demons" by Dan Brown because I'd like to read more of his work after reading The Da Vinci Code.

"The Great Gatsby" by F.Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorite books and I was lucky to be able to study it in school. It was nice going into discussions about the plot/literary elements/characters and everything about the book.

Elijahfan
22-06-2004, 04:35 PM
i'm readind the davinci code again. half way through cold mountain. i have school reading to do too. started tale of two cities...so many to read though, they're all classics that i though were important to just read

Kelsey
22-06-2004, 05:22 PM
I read a lot during the summer, so I've already read a few and plan on reading more books in the next few weeks. Already I've read:
King Arthur (the novelization of the upcoming film)
Pride and Prejudice
Girl With a Pearl Earring (for the umpteenth time)

I am currently reading:
Queen Bees & Wannabes

And I plan on reading:
Othello
The Da Vinci Code (Especially now that I've been to The Louvre)
Bill Clinton's memiors
countless screenwriting books

Ashley
22-06-2004, 08:20 PM
well clearly i need to pick up the clinton bio, all 957 pgs of it. yeah thats important. um my favorite book are the belljar and brave new world. the last thing i read was who's afraid of virginia woolf and reread hedda gabler, love that play

The Belljar! Thank you! I've been meaning to go borrow that from the library. I was told to read that before I watch Sylvia.

On another book note, for anyone who is interested in the Holocaust, Night is a good book. Very easy read, and an extremely informative narrative from someone who lived through it.

wee me
22-06-2004, 08:31 PM
one of my fave books eva is pride and prejudice and also freefall! they really good, and completly dif.
iv been meanin 2 read the belljar for ages 2!! so thanx gracie!
xxx
******************6th member of Keira Knightleyz Posse******************

Hazzle
22-06-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm going to lower the tone (considering everyone seems to have gone all serious and classic) and suggest anything from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

I myself would recommend The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic (read both as they're part 1 and part 2 of the same story) out of the entire series as it's best read in order and they're the first two. It's a rather long series, but they're the only books that have ever made me piss myself laughing out loud on the train. You would not believe the odd looks I got.

Mistikle
27-06-2004, 03:21 PM
well i read when i can... which isn't as much as i really wanna...
at the moment i'm readin 'Looking For Alibrandi'... but i'm readin that for skool
it's alright... there was a movie made on it... which i've heard that it isn't as good as the book
but then are movies as good as the books?? :confused:

Sarah
27-06-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm reading Educating Rita... it is a play, but still a book.

I'm also reading a book called Hunting Unicorns about a stuck-up American journalist. and an alcoholic Englishman

Pete
27-06-2004, 03:49 PM
heh following on from hazzle - gotta recommend "Mort" by Pratchett....

just finished The Beach by Alex Garland - thoroughly good read.....and i must be one of the few who hasnt seen the film - but ive heard the book is much better!

Im also a fan of Matthew Reilly - Contest/Icestation series - if ya like action books then these are well worth checking out...

Recently found a book called "Jim Giraffe" by Daren King, its about a ghost giraffe called jim who haunts the main character of the book..... its kinda random but very funny read!

Flightfreak
27-06-2004, 04:33 PM
i read the most of the time educational books,
the last non educational book i read was "Inside the sky. A Meditation on flight" from William Langewiesche.
But i going to read the harry potter books on englisch to train my english :)

Hazzle
27-06-2004, 09:35 PM
heh following on from hazzle - gotta recommend "Mort" by Pratchett....

just finished The Beach by Alex Garland - thoroughly good read.....and i must be one of the few who hasnt seen the film - but ive heard the book is much better!

Read the book, seen the film...book is certainly better, but the film isn't bad...Virginie Ledoyen can save any movie ;)

On the Pratchett theme, I personally prefer Small Gods...will make you rethink any views you have on religion, mark my words. Mort is superb, to reiterate...and for those Aussie people specifically, The Last Continent is superb and the island of XXXX will seem rather familiar... (that said, non-Aussies will enjoy it too)

Pygmalion
28-06-2004, 12:52 AM
I like Small Gods too but my FAVOURITE Terry Pratchett would have to be Pyramids because I like the way he draws parallels between Egypt and Djelibaybe-same principal with The Last Continent.

At the moment I'm reading "The Praise Singer" by Mary Renault so I can get my head around the damn Peisistratid tyranny in Greece before my ancient history exams.

I'm supposed to be reading my set novel for english "In the skin of a lion" by michael ondaache (scuse spelling) but I keep getting sidetracked ie: reading trashy fantasy novels just for some reading I don't have to concentrate in.

a REALLY good book is Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I love it because of the language he invented just for the story eg: we tolchocked the starry old veck till we saw the red krovvy like flowing.-but the movie kind of sucks.

Hazzle
28-06-2004, 03:18 AM
I'm loving the Pratchett love...people of good taste I see :)

Kelsey
01-07-2004, 10:24 PM
I just finished "Jacob Have I Loved." Good book (I love those coming of age stories), and I totally cried. But the end was like...wtf for me...I totally didn't get the very end of it.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if there is a movie based on this book?

DragonRat
01-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Steinbeck's East of Eden. For one, a self-proclaimed Christian, it's always interesting to read a fictional remake of a Biblical story, especially the first chapters of Genesis. One could argue that Catherine Trask was probably the most villainous character in all of American fiction, and Caleb Trask was the most human character of all. When Lee spoke about the concept of the word timshel, I think that took a burden off my shoulders as well, simply because it's not a promise (as Catholics believe), or an order (as most Protestants would believe), but it's a choice. In the overall scheme of things, we still have free will.

Such strong and abiding characters in that book. Maybe I spoiled myself for Steinbeck, because it is arguably his best novel (and I didn't really like the Grapes of Wrath).

guinie22
02-07-2004, 05:27 AM
I have finally had a chance to go back to reading some books!!
I just finished "The Belljar", "The Notebook", "Pride and Prejudice", the Harry Potter books.

Right now I'm reading "The Mists of Avalon" (for my second time-I like it because I love all of the Arthurian stories and this is from all of the women's points of view) and "I Capture the Castle". (Also reading the fifth Harry Potter book to my nephew-50 pages left til we finish)

I will also try to start reading "Girl With a Pearl Earring" within the next couple of weeks!!!

Jollie
02-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Best book that I ever read must be 1984 by George Orwell, I absolutely adore books with a critical view on society. As I see it, Orwell showed us that we must think for ourselves and remain critical towards our leaders. A message for all times.

Tried to read East of Eden but it might be useful to read it in Dutch and not in English, bit to difficult, but still I loved it as far as I could understood what he was saying. After I heard so much good things about this book I think I try it again.

gracie
02-07-2004, 05:05 PM
yeah kelsey i think there is that was like my summer reading in 7th rgrade and i think when we got back we watched a video

Kelsey
02-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Gracie...thanks, I'll have to find it. I just found it on my bookshelf, realized I hadn't read it, and so I did.

Hazzle
03-07-2004, 03:29 AM
Best book that I ever read must be 1984 by George Orwell, I absolutely adore books with a critical view on society. As I see it, Orwell showed us that we must think for ourselves and remain critical towards our leaders. A message for all times.

Wouldn't agree that was Orwell's message in 1984...I actually think that like with Animal Farm he was criticising the concept of revolution...and was arguing that social change could really only come by social democracy and not by Communism (which he opposed and said was inherently contradictory, which it is). <Shrugs> That's my take...I base it largely on the book within the book :). Also...the love affair is also a touching story of how even in the midst of the control of the superstate a rebellious love can still blossom...it's basically THE ultimate book ever...as it's every single type of book you could ask for in one :). It's about people, struggle, love, rebellion, futility...it's both uplifting and immensely depressing at the same time...paradox in its own covers.

Moe
03-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Am I the only one who reads Tom Clancy?

Other than that, I can only agree that Terry Pratchett rules. Douglas Adams is hilarious as well.
I also enjoy the occasional John Grisham novel. Oh, and if anybody is interested in SciFi: check out Alan Dean Foster (creator of Alien).

keira loves lipgloss
03-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Harry Potter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

Hazzle
03-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Am I the only one who reads Tom Clancy?

Other than that, I can only agree that Terry Pratchett rules. Douglas Adams is hilarious as well.
I also enjoy the occasional John Grisham novel. Oh, and if anybody is interested in SciFi: check out Alan Dean Foster (creator of Alien).

Tom Clancy...excellent...Pratchett...well we all know my thoughts on him...Adams...arrr...too true...and it's not just the Hitchiker's Guide...people who haven't read anything else he's done should...and John Grisham is also rather spiffy...

Alan Dean Forster...don't think I have read any of his stuff...shall have to take a gander...

ryan
03-07-2004, 03:24 PM
i've read some tom clancy.
clear and present danger and sum of all fears.

Moe
03-07-2004, 05:18 PM
I recommend "Patriot Games" as your next read.

Sarah
03-07-2004, 06:19 PM
I got Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected today. I love his work.

DefyingGravity
09-07-2004, 04:54 AM
Sorry about the bump--I didn't want to start a new thread.

Right now I'm reading Jacob's Diary by Anonymous, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, Wicked by Gregory Maguire, and The Bible.

I feel like my head's gonna explode.

Pygmalion
09-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Speaking of sci-fi (ok well not really speaking of it but hey)
A great Sci-Fi/Comedy read is Red Dwarf Omnibus-I liked the tv show, and the books probably as good (it was written after I think)
I like the odd take on what the future will be like eg: that humanity will take over the solar system and use Earth as a planatary garbage dump, officially re-christening it "Garbage World" I've read it so many times its had to be repaired with tape.
On the George Orwell thing, I liked Animal Farm better, except at the end of 1984 where the lead guy tells them to torture his girlfriend and spare him... I like BLACK literature.

DragonRat
09-07-2004, 09:29 AM
After East of Eden, I bought a military history book, What If? just before I boarded my plane home. After finishing that, which was quite interesting, I read [/i]The Alchemist[/i] by Paulo Coelho, which was a quick and very uplifting read. Now, I'm one chapter into Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. I guess I'm trying to get some real summer reading done.