PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Sarah
25-07-2004, 03:31 PM
It is official. The final Star Wars film is going to be called Revenge of the Sith.

Do the Star Wars fans here like the title? I think it is pretty good, I have no complaints, although it is a little bit predictable, but hey, since when was Star Wars' titles not predictable?

I think Episode III will be fantastic, I can't wait for the Anakin/Vader transformation. And I can't wait for the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel.

Lets talk Star Wars!

ChocolateMoose
25-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Oooooh, I LOVE Star Wars! Thats quite a cool name for the film...though the shortening would be 'RotS' ... lets hope its a good film and that film critics don't dwell on that fact, lol.

From what I've seen it looks really good. Can't wait for it to come out. I've heard its going to be released in May 2005. I want to see if it all matches up with episode 4. They'll need to have a blooming good continuity person for this film, especially after The Phantom Menace (!).

Spire
25-07-2004, 05:26 PM
What a lame name. At least it's not totally idiotic like "Attack of the Clones". I'm a fan of the original trilogy (Empire Strikes Back is on my Top 10 Films list) but the new ones suck, they suck hard. I can't watch Episode II at all, the dialogue is so horrible, it blows my mind. Episode I is only slightly better, but it still ranks pretty low. I'll see Episode III of course, but I don't expect to be impressed.

DragonRat
25-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Beautiful subtitle, I must say. After "Attack of the Clones", Lucas was tired of making up a new system, so he went with the old noun-with-prepositional-phrase combo. I mean, it worked for "Return of the Jedi". Seriously, I really don't have much hope for this film, seeing as the two last movies really damaged my faith in Lucas' filmmaking (well, script-writing more so than anything). I also hope Portman and Christiansen can get out of their shells from Episode 2 and actually embrace some level of their relationship.

As far as I see it, the best Anakin/Vader was James Earl Jones, and he only did the voice. Jake Lloyd did nothing to improve it; in fact, I believe he was tearing down the bricks in the wall, and Hayden Christiansen is our last great hope before we steep ourselves in the books of the EU.

But I'm a major SW fan. Always will be. Not even the past two movies can tear down the entire brilliance of Lucas' original trilogy.

ChocolateMoose
25-07-2004, 05:41 PM
I've heard that James Earl Jones is going to do the voice of Darth Vader when Anakin turns in Episode 3...that would be great as he is fantastic.

The orginal trilogy is an amazing set of films which will forever outshine the new ones (and quite rightly so). I didn't like Episode II as much as Episode I (but Jar Jar really bugged me...why George, WHY?!).

A box set of the original trilogy (Episodes 4 - 6) is being released on DVD for the first time on the 22nd September (DVD Region 2). WOW!!! Plus apparently there is going to be yet more improvements to the CGI (for example when Obi Wan and Darth Vader fight, Obi Wan's light sabre isn't going to disappear on contact with another object, and stuff like that).

Sarah
25-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Yes, James Earl Jones has already recorded his voice for the film.

The original trilogy is so much better than Episode I and II, but I still enjoy watching Episodes I and II, and I'm looking forward to Episode III. I want to see how Vader became Vader!

Renegade
25-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Can't wait for the Anakin and Obi-Wan Duel :fencing:. Probably the only reason I wanna see this movie. And I'm sure the plot will be better this time around, in comparison to Episode II. This time it has incentive. Anakin is finally gonna flip to the darkside. Hopefully Hayden Christiansen will prove to be the Vader we've all grown to love or hate. I'm actually rooting for him to do good. And for Jake Llyod, little Anakin, what kinda crackhead decided to cast his arse in Episode 1?

Episodes 4-6 on DVD?...Finally! It's about time!

ChocolateMoose
25-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Episodes 4-6 on DVD?...Finally! It's about time!

Yep!! Very, very cool!

Amazon is the cheapest place to get it from:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001ZE1OU/qid=1090785033/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-7664044-4121212

frodo1511
26-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Just plese, someone, find out if Mace Windu dies all coollike, and not like a loser.
That would scar me for life :fencing:

Kelsey
26-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Is May 2005 the for-sure release date? I was hoping we would get it at the end of this year. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I enjoy the films and so I'm excited for them when they come out.

Hayden Christianson was so bad in Episode 2, it was chilling. I read somewhere that even Natalie Portman admitted that their chemistry was horrible in the screen test. Why hire someone if your leading lady admits that early on that they're chemistry is going to suck. As for Jake Lloyd, Hayden was worse.

ChocolateMoose
26-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Is May 2005 the for-sure release date? I was hoping we would get it at the end of this year. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I enjoy the films and so I'm excited for them when they come out.

According to this (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/) the release date is 19th May 2005.

I think they still have to do pick up shots, and there is a lot of post production CGI stuff which they have to get sorted. In Episode II two thirds of shots in the film had some element of CG in it. Thats a huge amount!! Though it has been a looong time since the last film...its taking ages. Plus, Ewan is currently half way around the world on a motorbike which is probably slowing things down, lol.

What does everyone think of the shift from puppet Yoda to CG Yoda in AOTC? I really didn't like it. With the puppet you could make the facial expressions realistic and its there with the actors so they can interact with it better than a blue screen. Nope, go back to puppet Yoda!

I agree with you on the Hayden aspect. Didn't think he was very good either. And Ewan...now he is a great actor but in Star Wars he's putting in too much effort into the acting. Acting is supposed to be done so although you know its not real it feels as though it is. But with Ewan some scenes seem really forced and it dosn't feel real. Probably because of the blue screens as he has said he dosn't like them. Its a real shame.

Hazzle
26-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Like the title...it's not that bad...Attack of the Clones was VERY cliched, but this is fine, it fits the Star Wars model (Return of the Jedi, for example). Attack of the Clones just sounded like a cliched sci fi title that could fit ANY film...it's a hackneyed sci fi thing...but The Phantom Menace, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi all sound good, and so does this (title-wise).

Bet the film'll suck though :D

Richard
26-07-2004, 01:28 AM
I haven't seen any of the new episodes, just the 4 through 6. Those in my opinion, is one of the best trilogies in the world. What the hell happened to the guy who played Luke Skywalker? I liked him in those films, but it looks like he's vanished. :icon_conf

frodo1511
26-07-2004, 01:41 AM
I haven't seen any of the new episodes, just the 4 through 6. Those in my opinion, is one of the best trilogies in the world. What the hell happened to the guy who played Luke Skywalker? I liked him in those films, but it looks like he's vanished. :icon_conf

Who, Mark Hammil? He does voices for some movies/cartoons, but other than being GAY, I haven't heard much from him lately.

Richard
26-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Who, Mark Hammil? He does voices for some movies/cartoons, but other than being GAY, I haven't heard much from him lately.

Gay. Not that have anything against homosexual's, but now I'm going to have to watch the entire trilogy knowing that's on the top of my head.

Leia should have kissed Solo the first time, at least he would have enjoyed it. :err:

frodo1511
26-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Gay. Not that have anything against homosexual's, but now I'm going to have to watch the entire trilogy knowing that's on the top of my head.

Leia should have kissed Solo the first time, at least he would have enjoyed it. :err:

Tell me about it. I found out when I was 10, and I was traumatized for life. First Mark Hammil, now Ian McKellian.

Richard
26-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Tell me about it. I found out when I was 10, and I was traumatized for life. First Mark Hammil, now Ian McKellian.

Ian McKellian is gay! Forgot it, just stop. Clearly I don't know half about celebrities than I thought I did. Pardon me while I leave, I need to have a moment with myself.

Hazzle
26-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Latent homophobia dripping off the posts guys...please stop :)

apoggy
26-07-2004, 02:04 AM
If you didn't know Ian ckellen was gay you lead a sheltered life, call yourself a movie freak. This is getting off topic now boys and girls.

Star Wars like the originals, not so keen on the new ones, but you have to laugh.

Richard
26-07-2004, 03:49 AM
Well I'm most certainly glad that we finally see Vader become Vader. And on that note, to further embarrass myself to the extent that I just may not be the movie freak I thought I was... I just found out a few years ago that is was indeed James Earl Jones who did the voice to Vader. Perhaps I do lead a sheltered life, I'm not proud, but I'm young.

Doesn't Kevin Smith adore the Star Wars saga, and despise The Matrix series? Wait... nevermind, he practically can't refrain himself from mentioning them in his films.

As for further input into Star Wars, I'm pretty sure that trilogy launched Harrsion Ford's career. In fact, I think he was the only actor from those films that actually had a hollywood career. Well on second thought, I wouldn't go as far as to say that, I think Chewbacca had more success than any of them. Definitely more remembered than Vader. Pttf... (The new addition to my vocabulary terms... I got that from Hazzle.) :icon_conf

Dyce_Blue
26-07-2004, 04:10 AM
After reading all of this about Star Wars, I have to make a confession. I really don't get interested in the Star Wars movies. The same goes with the LoTR films (even though I really appreciate the supreme quality of the entire production, Pete Jackson has set a new standard for all of Hollywood). I'm also sorry to say that I hated Kill Bill vol. 2 (sorry Sarah.). I do respect the time and effort put into the movies. The quality of these epic productions is superior to most other movies. I just can't seem to enjoy the plots.

alby
28-07-2004, 01:10 AM
It is official. The final Star Wars film is going to be called Revenge of the Sith.

Do the Star Wars fans here like the title? I think it is pretty good, I have no complaints, although it is a little bit predictable, but hey, since when was Star Wars' titles not predictable?

I think Episode III will be fantastic, I can't wait for the Anakin/Vader transformation. And I can't wait for the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel.

Lets talk Star Wars!

It'll be a money maker, that's for sure. Too bad Christensen (sp) can't act.

frodo1511
28-07-2004, 04:58 AM
Revenge of the Sith will gross millions, if not hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office. I mean, we're talking about the ending of one of the greatest movie sagas known to mankind, who wouldn't want to see how it ends?

Richard
28-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Revenge of the Sith will gross millions, if not hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office. I mean, we're talking about the ending of one of the greatest movie sagas known to mankind, who wouldn't want to see how it ends?

I agree. I'll expect it too, but can it gross more than Episode 1 which already holds the title of being the forth highest grossing film of all-time (world-wide of course).

Est. $922,379,000 - that's pretty impressive. I'm hoping for it to be the third highest if not the second beating LoTR : The Return Of The King. I don't think it can beat Titanic, but then again... it's Star Wars.

Renegade
28-07-2004, 05:17 AM

Yeah, it definitely has the potential to gross millions. But it probably won't gross more than the Phantom Menace. Episode I grossed $431mil in the US, ranking 4th on the all-time chart (kudos yahoo). Flocks of people saw Episode I because it was the newest Star Wars movie in nearly two decades. Now that people have seen the first 2 episodes and have been somewhat dissapointed, they'll expect a similar direction with the third. Nonetheless, Episode III is the end of the Star Wars movies and will cash in a lot.

Dyce_Blue
28-07-2004, 05:17 AM
I think that Episode III will earn the estimated total of money. I just see it as a movie that must be seen. Case in Point - Myself. I am in no way a Star Wars fan. In fact, I find the new ones quite boring, but I have seen all of them in the theater.

Even after that horrible taste that Episode II left in my mouth, I still plan on seeing the new one.

frodo1511
28-07-2004, 05:19 AM
I agree. I'll expect it too, but can it gross more than Episode 1 which already holds the title of being the forth highest grossing film of all-time (world-wide of course).

Est. $922,379,000 - that's pretty impressive. I'm hoping for it to be the third highest if not the second beating LoTR : The Return Of The King. I don't think it can beat Titanic, but then again... it's Star Wars.

As of late, Shrek 2 is making a run for outsing Ep. 1 from fourth place. but nothing, sadly, will ever come close to the insanity that is Titanic's record of 1.8 BILLION DOLLARS. How insane is that?

KRev
28-07-2004, 05:26 AM
Episode will be good so long as Lucas doesn't write the majority--or entirety--of the script.

Dyce_Blue
28-07-2004, 05:47 AM
Titanic was the sappiest crap I've ever seen. How did that make soooo much money? I wasn't aware the final total was so high.

The best part of the movie was the TIT-anic art scene. :)

Getting back on topic so Apoggy doesn't ban me...

Episode III will draw a much more varied crowd than Titanic. Not only is it the guaranteed final chapter in a world renowned series, it will be the 6th movie. This will draw the older, nostalgic crowd. It has the epic scope of a LotR movie, as well as the action of a Spiderman-esque picture. This accounts for the largest two movie audiences since the sinking ship phenomenon. I wouldn't worry about a shortage of funds in the Lucas family after this one is released.

DragonRat
28-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Episode will be good so long as Lucas doesn't write the majority--or entirety--of the script.

There's truth in that statement. Most people will agree that Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, was by far the greatest Star Wars - if not, all of sci-fi - film ever made. And almost none of the screenplay was written by Lucas. Unfortunately, I think Lucas wants to have his hand in everything Star Wars Episode III, and that includes the screenplay. But, hopefully he will see the errors of his ways from the past two movies, and try to add more character development and better dialogue.

If the critics can give their proverbial 'thumbs up' to the movie, then it will gross a huge amount of money. No doubt fans of the Star Wars genre - yours truly included - will wait hours in line outside a theatre to catch a glimpse of the new episode. (I remember when people would buy tickets to Meet Joe Black just to see the Episode I trailer, and then leave right after; it was a boring movie anyway :P.) But, if the critics are behind it, then those semi-supportive fans who felt disconcerted and cheated from the past two episodes might be willing to chance their two hours in the dark, to witness the reverse enlightenment of Anakin Skywalker.

Hazzle
28-07-2004, 04:11 PM
(I remember when people would buy tickets to Meet Joe Black just to see the Episode I trailer, and then leave right after; it was a boring movie anyway :P.)

Hehe...I planned to do something similar with Final Destination when the LOTR Fellowship trailer was being shown before it...in the end I stayed and wished I hadn't...was a funny film though...but funny isn't what one expects from a film billed like that was :mad:

Most people will agree that Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, was by far the greatest Star Wars - if not, all of sci-fi - film ever made. And almost none of the screenplay was written by Lucas. Unfortunately, I think Lucas wants to have his hand in everything Star Wars Episode III, and that includes the screenplay. But, hopefully he will see the errors of his ways from the past two movies, and try to add more character development and better dialogue.

Yeah, i agree, TESB is easily the best Star Wars film, although I did like Return of the Jedi too...heck the entire first trilogy was excellent, hence such a shame when the prequels were abysmal.

And I agree, I think Lucas will have written the screenplay, or the bulk of it. Hopefully he's learnt like DR said ;)