PDA

View Full Version : Girls who are boys Who like boys to be girls Who do boys like they're girls

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 04:18 AM
Alrighty...I noticed an odd little theme today. I was watching tv and the classic "Big" was on...anyway...then I remembered the new Jen Garner movie 13 going on 30 (we're only just getting it now)...and I thought the two concepts were REMARKABLY similar.

Now I'm NOT dissing the movie, as I haven't seen it, but I'd like to explore this theme a little.

Mona Lisa Smile was Dead Poets Society for girls. Could've been so much more, as the true story that underpinned the film could've been approached in a different way, as it was poor acting (Maggie aside) and an average plot didn't help it seem more than a Dead Poet remake for girls. Cinematography was the main thing that saved this film from being poor...was beautifully shot.

13 going on 30...Big for girls. 13 year old kid becomes a 30 year old adult (not sure if it was a 30 year old in Big, but it certainly is a 13 year old kid)

Freaky Friday was just a remake of Vice Versa (a film I remember from my childhood...great 80's film) for girls. Mysterious oriental skull swaps father and son's minds into the other's body...compared to mother and daughter swapping places.

I think it seems to be a trend that Hollywood is remaking 80's films that involved boys for a female audience. Why do you lot think that is? Do you think it's because they targetted the male audience, then realised the female audience feels it really doesn't get as much coverage (I'd estimate more big action blockbusters get made a year than rom coms, and let's be honest, generally the former is targetted at a male audience and the latter at a female one...though I actually like the odd rom com, if it's funny)? Do you think it's just to be lazy and avoid being original? Is this not really a trend but coincidence?

I'm not dissing any of these movies, let me repeat, just asking about this trend. Oh, and if you spot any more boy films remade as girl films, please share. Heck if you want to disprove this theory and show girl films remade as boy films I'd be curious to hear that too.

PS: A cookie to the first person who posts where I got the title for the thread from.

Kelsey
25-07-2004, 05:52 AM
13 Going on 30 was a recycled topic. See the movie; they're are some differences and I actually liked it better than Big. It's Jennifer Garner who makes that entire movie though - no doubt about it. She's great in it.

And the Freaky Friday thing....wouldn't it be that Vice Versa is a recycled version of Freaky Friday, since the Lindsey Lohan Freaky Friday was a remake of the Jodie Foster Freaky Friday - made much earlier than the 80s.

I don't think these recycled stories are to be lazy. Find me something *completely* original. You can't do it, because even if it is a completely original concept or whatever, some aspect of it is going to have been done a hundred times before. As they say, "There are 12 different screenplays." (Though I think Being John Malkovich is the secret 13th;))

Spire
25-07-2004, 05:59 AM
Mona Lisa Smile = Femi-nazi garbage. One of the worst movies I saw last year.

Kelsey
25-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Mona Lisa Smile = Femi-nazi garbage. One of the worst movies I saw last year.

You're warped :). I loved it's barely-there feminine message; I just wish the message had been stronger, but eh, what can you do?

Spire
25-07-2004, 06:25 AM
I'm not warped, I just have zero tolerance for feminist's, or any group constantly whining about how unfair they're being treated when they're being treated equally, if not better.

Kelsey
25-07-2004, 06:43 AM
In the United States, women make less money. Lol, I don't know, who cares? But for the record, women aren't always treated equally.

Spire
25-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Neither are men. Isolated incidents of prejudice occur to all races and sexes. Feminists really press my buttons, I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's the constant pity party they throw themselves, or the fact that they try to rectify their supposed "oppression" by stereotyping all men as fat, evil pigs. Most of them are complete morons, I had a women call my dad sexist because he didn't let her cut in front of him at the checkout counter in the grocery store. If that's not retarded. She noted that that was "typical of a man" and stood behind us sulking the rest of the time.

acliff
25-07-2004, 08:42 AM
On the note of those films, they had attactive women for the men to oggle at...
mmmmm Lindsay mmmmm Jennifer Garner mmmmmm

On the note of feminists, I personally haven't experienced them that often. I try not to be a chauvonist, pig headed, or belittle women as a whole. I just treat those less intelligent than me less equally, regardless of sex :-P

I once had a feminist tell me men were all sexist because they didn't have to give birth, and how that was unfair to them.
I replied 'If I had a womb, then I might agree with you'
It seems feminists don't realise they have great power. They have things they can utilise in order to moan and bitch about. If you want to be so equal and moan about men having it better, why don't you go fucking lay some bricks, or go deliver some TVs?
I think on the whole alot of feminist want to take advantage of the system.
Whereas extremely attractive women don't complain as much, as they can take advantage of the male population with very little effort.
As we're all shallow minded chauvonistic pigs at heart.

modforit99
25-07-2004, 08:45 AM
The name of your thread is that rubbish blur song. Actually, I liked parklife. But, blur simpley can NOT come close to ANYTHING Oasis has ever done. LIVE FOREVER!!!

DragonRat
25-07-2004, 09:12 AM
Very good, modforit99, you get a golden prize: DON'T SPAM. (Here's your cookie.)

I merely think of these rehashing of movies simply as Hollywood's way of raking in more money, until they finally run out of topics (which they probably have done already).

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 01:24 PM
13 Going on 30 was a recycled topic. See the movie; they're are some differences and I actually liked it better than Big. It's Jennifer Garner who makes that entire movie though - no doubt about it. She's great in it.

Oh I have no doubt there are some differences, please don't take this as a criticism of the film. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm sure it's not all bad, but I very much doubt I'll like it better than Big as that's one of my all time favourite films. That said, I repeat, I was just noticing a trend I wanted to discuss out of interest, nothing more :)

And the Freaky Friday thing....wouldn't it be that Vice Versa is a recycled version of Freaky Friday, since the Lindsey Lohan Freaky Friday was a remake of the Jodie Foster Freaky Friday - made much earlier than the 80s.

I didn't know about the earlier Freaky Friday, thanks for pointing it out, it all helps the discussion ;) Plus I'll try and get to see it now...like I said...nothing personal at stake in this discussion, just something curious.

I don't think these recycled stories are to be lazy. Find me something *completely* original. You can't do it, because even if it is a completely original concept or whatever, some aspect of it is going to have been done a hundred times before. As they say, "There are 12 different screenplays." (Though I think Being John Malkovich is the secret 13th;))

I think originality in any field of art is hard to find these days. The "lazy" point was largely to stimulate discussion, although I DO see laziness...more on the part of the studios to try and market a film that they know is based on a concept that's been successful with audiences before. Y'know Big touched a nerve with kids when I was growing up, suppose they think 13 going on 30 may appeal to today's teenagers. Nothing wrong with that, but sure, it is a little lazy on the studio's part. I actually think that the writers often strive to make the concept more original by adding their own little touches, and that's probably what you were referring to when you mentioned the differences in 13 going on 30.

Neither are men. Isolated incidents of prejudice occur to all races and sexes. Feminists really press my buttons, I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's the constant pity party they throw themselves, or the fact that they try to rectify their supposed "oppression" by stereotyping all men as fat, evil pigs. Most of them are complete morons, I had a women call my dad sexist because he didn't let her cut in front of him at the checkout counter in the grocery store. If that's not retarded. She noted that that was "typical of a man" and stood behind us sulking the rest of the time.

He makes a valid point, just in a much more vitriolic way. I'm personally anti-feminism too...I'm in favour of equalism (yes, I made up my own "ism")...equality between the genders. I mean let's not go into widowers pensions, paternity leave and other aspects which go against men...visitation in custody battles...we could go on. I tell you what, I think most fathers would take one heck of a pay cut so that they could see their kids more often...I wonder how many feminists who mention the fact women get paid less would be willing to concede the point that if it's money v seeing your family, seeing your family matters more. Y'see discrimination between the genders probably arises due to paternalism, men earn the money whilst women take care of the family. This model works against BOTH genders, men largely in emotional/familial ways and women in financial ones.

That said, I treat women as equals. I do hold doors open, give my seat up etc, but that's just good manners, or so I was raised to believe. I want my sister/mother to be treated well when they go out and I'm not around, so I should do the same to someone else's mother/sister/daughter etc...

As for that grocery counter thing...haha. I hold doors open for women and get looks for doing so as if I'm being patronising, and yet your dad gets called sexist for treating a woman entirely equally...funny that. Seems women pick and choose when they want to pull out the old "patronising" card...if they want the benefits of the "weak woman" stereotype they'll take it ;). What Cliff said is pretty apt I think. Though I wouldn't say I treat attractive women any differently to unattractive ones...then again unlike most men I'm not trying to get laid all the time...prolly cos I know I've got no chance :p

This thread isn't about sexism though, to be clear :D

Very good, modforit99, you get a golden prize: DON'T SPAM. (Here's your cookie.)

lol...genius. I only meant for someone to tack it on at the end of an ON-TOPIC post...kids these days!

I merely think of these rehashing of movies simply as Hollywood's way of raking in more money, until they finally run out of topics (which they probably have done already).

So true...DR's hit the nail on the head.

Kelsey
26-07-2004, 12:10 AM
I don't think recycling, remaking, etc. is lazy at all. It can be fun sometimes. If I think anything is lazy, it's this never ending trend we seem to be in with only making film versions of books and comics. On the script sales website I visit daily, all there was was "based on the novel", "based on the 1995 film", "based on the comic book". Please, can we write something?! I would rather see a new version of Romeo and Juliet for the umpteenth time than another comic book movie. At least adapting R & J requires a brain cell.

Hazzle
26-07-2004, 12:59 AM
I don't think recycling, remaking, etc. is lazy at all. It can be fun sometimes. If I think anything is lazy, it's this never ending trend we seem to be in with only making film versions of books and comics.

Sorry...but one type of remaking is not lazy, the other is? Contradictory perhaps? I was saying I think the studios are lazy, and yes, the same goes for comic book film versions. Except that's not remaking something, it's something somewhat original as it's an ADAPTATION of a still art form into a moving one...and it's actually an entirely new genre that's never really gotten ENOUGH support (there've been comic book movies for ages, of course, but it's only now that it's getting proper backing).

On the script sales website I visit daily, all there was was "based on the novel", "based on the 1995 film", "based on the comic book". Please, can we write something?! I would rather see a new version of Romeo and Juliet for the umpteenth time than another comic book movie. At least adapting R & J requires a brain cell.

I would say adapting the comic book takes a LOT more intelligence. Re-writing something that's already in the form of a dramatic work (eg Romeo and Juliet) is easier...it's in the same form...like arranging a piece of music is easier than, for example, writing a piece of music to accompany a slide show or film...ADAPTING something is harder...and re-writing R & J for me is not adapting but re-writing. It's re-utilisation, NOT adaptation.

That said, I agree there are a lot of comic book films out at the moment, and most of them can't hold a candle to Baz Luhrman's R & J remake...but Spidey 2 is a fucking classic...one of the very best films made in the last 2 years...it's a real skill adapting comic books, and most are done poorly. HOWEVER...if you wish to discuss the trend of comic book films, start a new thread for that, and can we get this back on topic?

Girls for boys, boys for girls was the topic at hand :D Not remaking generally...please...can everyone be a tad more specific and on-topic here? I think this is interesting, and there can't be only 3 incidents of this...heck there must be some more incidents of the opposite, boys replacing girls (like you said Vice Versa was a remake of the original Freaky Friday...).

Kelsey
26-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Rewriting a present day version of Freaky Friday is different (and less impressive) than adapting the Elektra comic books into a screenplay, which is different (and less impressive) than taking the basic story of Cinderella and adapting it into Pretty Woman (for example). Although it is still Cinderella, it has it's own character and storyline added to it. In adapting comic books, anyone can do it, because all you have to do is follow the comic. The recent comic book movies as support, anyone who read the comic book knows what happens in the next installment. The only thing original about it is...hmm...I can't even think of anything.

This thread has taken a turn and is now off topic. Remaking movies for a different audience. I would do it.

Hazzle
26-07-2004, 01:30 AM
Rewriting a present day version of Freaky Friday is different (and less impressive) than adapting the Elektra comic books into a screenplay, which is different (and less impressive) than taking the basic story of Cinderella and adapting it into Pretty Woman (for example). Although it is still Cinderella, it has it's own character and storyline added to it. In adapting comic books, anyone can do it, because all you have to do is follow the comic. The recent comic book movies as support, anyone who read the comic book knows what happens in the next installment. The only thing original about it is...hmm...I can't even think of anything.

This thread has taken a turn and is now off topic. Remaking movies for a different audience. I would do it.

Meh...see your point about Cinderella and Pretty Woman...but I disagree about the comic book films...I'm sure you know that making a film is about a lot more than writing the script...and putting Spiderman, for example, on the screen is about knowing how to bring a comic to life. It's not easy...if it was...the X-men movies would've actually been good :D

Shall we agree to disagree on comic book films? :)

But this is ALL off-topic as you say. Meh...anyone else got a view on this apart from me and Kelsey? (PLEEEEEAAAASE someone else post...I've had my feuds with Kelsey before and I always end up worse off :icon_mecr)

Kelsey
26-07-2004, 01:39 AM
I was talking about script alone, not the entire effort it takes to make a film, so I'll agree to disagree on the comic book thing.

Hazzle
26-07-2004, 01:51 AM
I was talking about script alone, not the entire effort it takes to make a film, so I'll agree to disagree on the comic book thing.

Hehe...yeah...I think we came at it from different perspectives. I agree on the script point, totally :)

once_dreaded
07-04-2006, 07:41 AM
:bump: THANK YOU!!! I totally agree with you Hazzle, Hollywood is recycling all the old movies from the 50s/60s thinking that 25 & younger haven't seen the old movies so the "new" movies are original to them. Umm HELLO, I'm NOT one of the ignorant members of the general public..."Shaggy Dog" *ARGH* WTF...no one can beat the original, "Herbie the Love Bug" kill Lindsay please. It's so annoying that no one can come up with an "original" movie...yeah yeah yeah there are a million versions of the same script, thank you Shakespeare for taking all the GREAT ideas :Hail: . The last two "originals" I saw were "Being John Malkovich" and "12 Monkeys". Let's play name the originals LOL.