PDA

View Full Version : International cuisine

Surprize
15-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Please, talk about your favourite dishes and specialities of various national cuisines. What public eating places do you prefer? Do you like to cook?

Joly
15-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I looove chicken fajitas! :icon-mrgr

Kelsey
16-03-2008, 01:49 AM
I live for Mexican food.

Cheese enchiladas from La Villa = teh best.

Liam
16-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Indian food. Having an Indian colleague at work is good.

I prefer a beef vindaloo with the destructive power of 20 suns but I'm also partial to a well made chicken moghlai or octopus jalfrezi. Butter chicken is also good but its not worth the jar its in if you buy it from a supermarket.

michael22
16-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Liam would you mind sending me those recipes?

One of my favourite foreign dishes is this Afghani rice that is spicy but has a hint of sweetness (thanks to raisins) place some marinated lamb with it and you have a fine meal.

Leonie
16-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Liam would you mind sending me those recipes?

Liam prefers Indian fine dining to be delivered to his door or enjoyed in a restaurant setting :icon_lol:

I quite enjoy foreign food myself. I should have been born in the mediterranean, cause most of my food has tomato and onion incorporated somehow. I make a mean pizza (from scratch).

I also love Indian and Mexican food, and I'm experimenting with stirfries at the moment.

Joly
16-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Apologies for contradicting the 'international' theme of this thread, I just have to say:

BRITISH FOOD FTW
>:)>:) >:) >:)>:) >:) >:)>:) >:) >:)>:)

Leonie
16-03-2008, 08:29 PM
FTL, for sure!

Your peas are far too big, for starters.

Joly
16-03-2008, 08:49 PM
What do you mean, your peas!?
Nottingham is in Britain, right?

Leonie
16-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes, but I'm not English.

Joly
16-03-2008, 10:03 PM
8: An immigrant 8:

Lol - we love immigrants really. :D
So where you from then? It must be bad if you chose Nottingham over it.

Leonie
16-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm from a lovely place (Netherlands), I'm just doing some temporary schooling over here. Notts Uni has a world-renowned English department, you see.

One thing I love about England is the abundance of naans in supermarkets. Mmmm.

Joly
16-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Three things come to mind when I think of the Netherlands: Windmills, prostitutes and funny accents. You'll be the forth. (:D)

What do Dutch people eat? (apart from cocks $))
I've never been, although you're probably the closest country to me outside Britain. It sounds like an awesome place but I rate countries on their food.

Mandy
16-03-2008, 10:39 PM
We're American. We have shit.

I hear Chinese food is amazing, though.

What do Dutch people eat? (apart from cocks $))

Um. what?

Leonie
16-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm just going to ignore that :D

Mandy, don't forget your services to fast food and Tex Mex! I seriously think the world would be a worse place without them. Not every day type of food, sure, but sooo good every now and then.

Most of our food is just traditional vegetables-potatoes-meat type of stuff, although we do have an eastern cuisine that is heavily influenced by Indonesian cooking, due to our colonisation of the place a few centuries back. And you can't beat sauerkraut mash. Or curly kale mash. Or any other kind of Dutch mash. But it's not half as good if you don't have the right smoked sausage to go with it. So I guess that brings us back to eating cocks.

PS. Do not have a funny accent.

Joly
16-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Um. what?

It was a reference to my opinion on the sexual reputation of the Netherlands.
Amsterdam Red Light District etc...
(just ignore me if you don't get it :D)

Mandy
16-03-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm just going to ignore that :D

Mandy, don't forget your services to fast food and Tex Mex! I seriously think the world would be a worse place without them. Not every day type of food, sure, but sooo good every now and then.

It's definitely great, but it really is shit. It's tasty shit with a smiley face.

This is odd, but I always find certain petrol stations that sell really AMAZING biscuits (bread type thing, not cookies) and gravy in the mornings.

Joly
16-03-2008, 11:05 PM
And you can't beat sauerkraut mash. Or curly kale mash. Or any other kind of Dutch mash. But it's not half as good if you don't have the right smoked sausage to go with it.

Bangers and Mash! :icon_razz

PS. Do not have a funny accent.

Bear with me while I find a video of a funny Dutch accent.

Joly
16-03-2008, 11:19 PM
GKiOvHBxq7Y

I think this proves 2 of my points. >:)

Jacoby
16-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Mandy's selling my country short. We have some great cuisine here. Maybe not always the healthiest. But it's good.

I will admit that other countries are superior with the culinary stuff. I love sushi. And I can't really think of any great examples of other international dishes I like. But there are some.

Where's Brad?

Leonie
16-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Bangers and Mash! :icon_razz

Bear with me while I find a video of a funny Dutch accent.

If you think it's like bangers and mash, you obviously have no idea what I'm talking about :P

As for the Dutch accent, I'm well aware my fellow countrymen sound a bit off when producing something like English, but I don't. And also, how's your Dutch these days?

hasselbrad
17-03-2008, 03:36 AM
I think it would be easier to list what I don't like.

I'm not really fond of Indian, mainly because I am not a fan of spicy food.
That said, I have had some marvelous Indian dishes on the milder side.

I love Italian food. Growing up, we lived next to a couple named Vincent and Rose Capitano. If I remember correctly, they were one generation removed from Italy. She used to make dishes of manicotti just for me. Heaven in an oven safe dish.

Cuban food is wonderful. Come to Tampa and sample the roast pork that makes knives superfluous with yellow rice smothered in black beans, all with a side of plaintains.

Good Mexican food is hard to beat on a bang for your buck basis, and when it's done right is out of this world. As is good Salvadoran and Ecuadoran cuisine. Similar...but each with its own nuance. When I lived in Atlanta, you could always get good central American fare.

French food...I think goes without saying.

I really like German food because I love potatoes and meat. People after my own heart...in more ways than one.

As for American food...let's not be too hasty in our dismissal.
New England clam chowder, when done right, is one of God's gifts to man.
Just because you eat a Philly cheesesteak with your hands, doesn't mean it can be dismissed as a culinary delight.
And last, but certainly not least, the American South is a shining beacon of gastronomical pleasures that are sure to delight. Barbecued meat was actually created on the eighth day. And there are many variations throughout the southeast, Texas and St. Louis to keep your taste buds jumping. From the vinegar based sauces of the Carolinas to the spicy mesquite fires of Texas, you'll never grow tired of a good brisket or spare-rib.
You simply have not lived until you have paid an old black woman $2.99 to eat her barbecued pork, macaroni and cheese, collard greens and sliced tomatoes off of mismatched plates in a diner by the Tuscaloosa County Jail.
I have two more words for you...cheese grits.
Two more words...fried okra.

And Mandy's right about breakfast...biscuits (Southern style buttermilk wads of dough baked to a golden brown) smothered in sausage gravy is heaven when prepared right. Add in some hashbrown casserole from Cracker Barrel and you will truly think you've died and gone to heaven.

Porcelain_Doll
17-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Joly, I don't think pursuing the subject will help. Every country has pricks, so? The joke's worn off.

Back to subject...we don't have any "traditional" cuisine. We're a country of immigrants, so everybody eats whatever recipes their ancestors brought along in the voyage.
Yes, we do have typical meat-with-stuff things and desserts we can call "ours", but I'm not a big fan of the first since I can't stomach Uruguayan meat too well and have my objections against the latter...too much dulce de leche. A little is wonderful. But on everything? Ugh.

I don't have "favourites". I just like to try new things. If you tell me it's a new dish from some foreign country, I'll try it, what's in it doesn't matter much as long as my stomach can stand it :D

Surprize
19-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Is it true that the English eat apple sauce with pork?

hasselbrad
19-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure about the English, but we do in the United States.
Pork chops, apple sauce, mashed potatoes and green beans have been a meal for me more times than I can remember.

Joly
19-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Is it true that the English eat apple sauce with pork?

Indeed it is. :D

Pork roll with apple sauce at the rugby is bloomin marvellous.

eelliiinn
13-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I love thai food!!!

Surprize
24-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Who tasted maple syrup? Have no idea, if it is delicious... And it sounds so strange to me.

Ranman
24-05-2008, 05:18 PM
One of my college romemates use to make shepards pie, yum yum yummy