PDA

View Full Version : Cricket!!!

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Is cricket very popular in the UK? I played cricket last year for my school's club. I was a two sport star, basketball and cricket. Anyhow, I hit a 6 and bowled 2 wickets at practice once, and all of the Indian guys starting calling me Brett Lee. He is supposedly a great professional from Australia. Does anyone know of this gentleman?

It must seem odd that a Texan is playing cricket. I was the only white guy on the team, the rest would always speak Urdu and Hindi behind my back. Are there many readily available pitches in other parts of the world? We had to drive for about 45 minutes to the other side of Houston to play on a real field.

apoggy
24-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Of course English people have a liking for cricket, after all we invented it, like most sports ;)

as for brett lee, of course we've heard of him, if it wasn't for the fact you are so narrow minded and only worship the stars from games you invented becuase you werent good enough at ours then you would have heard of them too.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 09:13 PM
There is very poor coverage of foreign sports in the US. I first learned about the game of cricket when I was 6, from Casey Jones in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Casey:"You gotta understand a crumpet before you understand cricket".

Sorry for my narrow minded approach to other sports, this is caused by my supreme interest to American sports. But about Americans not being good at British sports, what about golf?

Sarah
24-07-2004, 09:14 PM
My borther plays cricket, he's on a professional side and he has a cup game tomorrow.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I saw the pic of your brother's bat. That is what reminded me of cricket. Do girls play cricket in England?

apoggy
24-07-2004, 09:17 PM
ok, golfs an exception, we still win about 10-1 though. Lets not get start on the whole 'you fucks stole rugby, changed the rules, and the name to bloody football of all things' argument. Thats because us Brits would win at that too :p

have fun talking cricket, all those aussies will slate you when they turn out of their pits.

Sarah
24-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I saw the pic of your brother's bat. That is what reminded me of cricket. Do girls play cricket in England?

I've played on the beach before, I got sick of running backwards and forwards, lol. I'm not sure if any girls play professionally, hmm, I don't know.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Running back and forth while your teammate keeps smashing 2 runs each time is not fun. Also, if you are the first to get out, waiting 4 hrs. to do anything is definitely boredom inducing.

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 03:20 AM
Running back and forth while your teammate keeps smashing 2 runs each time is not fun. Also, if you are the first to get out, waiting 4 hrs. to do anything is definitely boredom inducing.

The old "boring" chestnut...only cretins find cricket boring...so if you find cricket boring you must be a retard. End of.

Dyce_Blue
25-07-2004, 03:34 AM
The old "boring" chestnut...only cretins find cricket boring...so if you find cricket boring you must be a retard. End of.

If your look back at my old post, I never said that cricket was boring. I used the terms "not fun" and "boredom inducing". I happen to enjoy the overall experience of the game, it is kinda relaxing. Plus, it utilizes short bursts of speed, which I do enjoy. Did you not read about the time I bowled 2 wickets at practice? That was fun!

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 04:01 AM
If your look back at my old post, I never said that cricket was boring. I used the terms "not fun" and "boredom inducing". I happen to enjoy the overall experience of the game, it is kinda relaxing. Plus, it utilizes short bursts of speed, which I do enjoy. Did you not read about the time I bowled 2 wickets at practice? That was fun!

I wasn't addressing you per se, just knocking the "boredom" thing on the head before it started.

Narg
25-07-2004, 04:36 AM
Brett lee is a great young aussie bowler, it was a compliment towards you.

Australians are the kings of cricket :D, its the only sport i can really sit down and relaxingly watch, Shane warn is the best spin bolwer ever :P

Dyce_Blue
25-07-2004, 05:12 AM
It's good to know that I have been compared to a world class athlete. I one day hope to visit Australia, maybe I can have a little pick-up cricket game.

deviljet88
25-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't like Shane Warne for shadowing Stuey McGill. It just seems so unfair, Warney doesn't play for a whole year and he gets the pick ahead of Stuart. I like Darren Berry, former Victorian captain. Old, fat bugger, but boy he could smack the ball around the field :)

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 02:06 PM
I don't like Shane Warne for shadowing Stuey McGill. It just seems so unfair, Warney doesn't play for a whole year and he gets the pick ahead of Stuart. I like Darren Berry, former Victorian captain. Old, fat bugger, but boy he could smack the ball around the field :)

Yes, but McGill's SHIT. Fuck me even Ashley Giles is a better spin bowler and as good as he is, I wouldn't call Ashley a world class spinner...Shane on the other hand is just a fucking genius...old as the hills (and you're gonna miss him when he quits)...but still too good to leave out.

And yes, being compared to Brett Lee is a compliment...fantastic bowler...

For us lot Vaughan seems to have hit a bit of form now, at number 4, which is for me his best slot. Tres and Strauss look like a top opening pair, Key came in for Butcher and smacked a double century...can't ask for more than that. Freddie Flintoff seems back to his best, Harmison's playing well, as is Simon Jones now...slowly but surely we're building a pretty damn good team...still probably not good enough to take on the Aussies with a hope of winning (bastards!) but I reckon we're not far off of India.

Liam
26-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Giles better than MacGill? Are you on crack? Ashley Giles is a fairly good bowler, but nowhere near a world class level. He can't field either, and frankly its a bit worrying if he is all you lot can manage :p

I watched the England - West Indies game yesterday for a while and it struck me that England have improved greatly since the last time I saw them play. Admittedly this was the last ashes tour - being bowled out for less than 100 against and opposition is pretty fucking poor so improving cant have been that difficult, but the batting now looks solid. The bowling has a long way to go but Harmison is definitely getting there.

Flintoff for my mind is a liability. Hes never 100% fit and that can limit selection for the side. Hes great when in form and close to full fitness but when he cant bowl properly (or at all) that leaves a yawning gap in the attack.

Still not picking any English players in my World XI. Maybe next time :)

Hazzle
27-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Giles better than MacGill? Are you on crack? Ashley Giles is a fairly good bowler, but nowhere near a world class level. He can't field either, and frankly its a bit worrying if he is all you lot can manage :p

I watched the England - West Indies game yesterday for a while and it struck me that England have improved greatly since the last time I saw them play. Admittedly this was the last ashes tour - being bowled out for less than 100 against and opposition is pretty fucking poor so improving cant have been that difficult, but the batting now looks solid. The bowling has a long way to go but Harmison is definitely getting there.

Flintoff for my mind is a liability. Hes never 100% fit and that can limit selection for the side. Hes great when in form and close to full fitness but when he cant bowl properly (or at all) that leaves a yawning gap in the attack.

I didn't call Giles world class now, did I? Did ok against the West Indies, but wouldn't call him World Class...but neither's MacGill mate. I can fucking bowl better than MacGill, and I SUCK :p

Now Warney...that's a spinner :)

Oh...and I'd say our top 4 is looking pretty fucking good right now...Strauss and Tres are top notch, Key's come in and done well, and Vaughan's getting back to his best...I reckon we can take on and beat the Indians mate...may not have the superstar names of India but then how many times have those superstar reputations let them down? Nuff said :)

deviljet88
27-07-2004, 11:54 AM
If MacGill was so shit, he wouldn't be Australia's 2nd best spinner would he? Plus at the end of the 2003/2004 season, he won the ING Player of the Year award for the NSW Blues.

Hazzle
28-07-2004, 12:16 AM
If MacGill was so shit, he wouldn't be Australia's 2nd best spinner would he?

I dunno...maybe yer not producing them like you used to?! I mean ffs, if Warne can just walk back into the team, hardly says much about how well MacGill played in his absence, does it?

Don't get me wrong...I rate the Aussie team (you'd have to be a blind idiot to not) but MacGill, when he plays, is a bloody liability. Sure, if he's lucky and the pitch is assisting, he'll skittle over a few, but more often than not he's run-fodder. At least Lee, when he goes for a few, picks up wickets WITHOUT assistance from the pitch. One would've thought that was what distinguished world class players from good ones, and good ones from average ones. Tell you what, I wouldn't take MacGill for Giles...but if it was Warney I'd be kissing arse and performing sexual favours...therein lies the difference.

frontier219
30-07-2004, 08:06 PM

Flintoff, Harmison, Geraint Jones, Graham Thorpe...

acliff
30-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Cricket? Not boring?
I have had more fun and excitement watching continental plate migration.

Football is fun to watch. Hell, even baseball is fun to watch. Rugby is uber fun to watch. Even tennis with its Sharapovas is amazing to watch.

Now cricket has middle aged men standing about looking bored, with the occasional person throwing a ball at 3 upright sticks. Attractive women in hotpants and skirts which cover nothing? Nope. Fast paced, adrenaline surging action? Nope. Big fuck off hard men trying to kick the living shit out of each other? Nope.

Watch K1, or UFC. Now they're good watching.

Dyce_Blue
30-07-2004, 09:31 PM
What is the best team in the world when it comes to international play?

Hazzle
30-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Flintoff, Harmison, Geraint Jones, Graham Thorpe...

Yeah...Harmison...only the world's equal best bowler this year...up there with Murali of Sri Lanka in the rankings...nuff said.

Wouldn't could Jones as one of the better wicketkeepers though so that weakens your point...can bat a fair bit but I'd take Gilchrist over him thanks.

Thorpe is MR Consistent, but still wouldn't QUITE make a world team...Flintoff, Tres, Vaughan and the aforementioned Harmison deserve mentions, though only Flintoff and Harmison would make my world team...

Cricket? Not boring?
I have had more fun and excitement watching continental plate migration.

Football is fun to watch. Hell, even baseball is fun to watch. Rugby is uber fun to watch. Even tennis with its Sharapovas is amazing to watch.

Now cricket has middle aged men standing about looking bored, with the occasional person throwing a ball at 3 upright sticks. Attractive women in hotpants and skirts which cover nothing? Nope. Fast paced, adrenaline surging action? Nope. Big fuck off hard men trying to kick the living shit out of each other? Nope.

It's funny that you say middle-aged men when the average age of world teams is getting down to the mid-20's now...fuck me Cliff you'll be in your mid 20's soon, that make you middle-aged?

Seems to me Cliff ain't watched a cricket game in about...oooh...EVER?! The last 10 years especially has seen a marked increase in the pace of the game...only an idiot with no knowledge of the game would call it slow anymore. It's an acquired taste, clearly Cliff lacks the intelligence to appreciate it.

What is the best team in the world when it comes to international play?

Australia. Cunts.

havoc
30-07-2004, 10:25 PM
I have to say this:
As a chick, cricket is one of my passions! It's by far the most relaxing spectator sport when the game is slow, we have a saying amongst my friends "when you get bored in the stands, turn around and watch the cricket". What other game lets you sit outside getting a tan, drinking for 5 straight days? It's fantastic. Cricket is like fine wine - absolutely have to develop a taste for it. If you don't understand it, you'll never like it.
As for the excitement in an international when it comes down to the wire, nothing beats it.
Too bad the Kiwis are fielding such a poor test team :( Suck.

And yes, chicks can absolutely play! Not against guys, 'cos that'd be stupid. It's not pretty though, they're all butch.

acliff
30-07-2004, 11:13 PM
It's funny that you say middle-aged men when the average age of world teams is getting down to the mid-20's now...fuck me Cliff you'll be in your mid 20's soon, that make you middle-aged?

Seems to me Cliff ain't watched a cricket game in about...oooh...EVER?! The last 10 years especially has seen a marked increase in the pace of the game...only an idiot with no knowledge of the game would call it slow anymore. It's an acquired taste, clearly Cliff lacks the intelligence to appreciate it.

Not seen a cricket game? For customer's benefit, we turn it on in the Sony Centre, I start falling asleep on my feet. Live, I've been once. I'm not going to pay to go fall asleep, I can do that perfect easily in my own bed.

Marked increase in pace their might be. But its still fucking slow dude. Hence everyone else saying its 'relaxing'. Don't start at me with that intelligence and no knowledge bullshit. When I watch TV, I generally try to watch something interesting. To me, a sport where all the action appears to be on the scoreboard rather than on the grounds, bores me severely. I'm sorry, but its not a taste I particularly want to acquire. I'd rather spend 3-4 hours of my time reading a book, or making money.

Hazzle
30-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Yes, well, your loss...book vs cricket...Cricket wins...and as Havoc points out, those really tight down to the wire tests are just the best...I mean some test matches have more twists in them than mso many of the crappy films being churned out these days so suck it Cliff...you wong, me right...nothing new there then ;)

deviljet88
31-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Nah depends on who's bowling and batting. I mean some batsmen are so boring, all they do is block because they don't want to risk leaving the wicket exposed. Sure, that's good for the bowler, getting a maiden, but geez, its boring for the viewers.

Hazzle
31-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Nah depends on who's bowling and batting. I mean some batsmen are so boring, all they do is block because they don't want to risk leaving the wicket exposed. Sure, that's good for the bowler, getting a maiden, but geez, its boring for the viewers.

Some batsmen, but I wouldn't say that many these days...the top few teams have very few blockers...I mean Dravid is as close as India get to one and he's still a very exciting batsman to watch...I wouldn't call anyone in the Aussie lineup a blocker, nor the English lineup anymore. Not seen South Africa recently, but the last time I saw them they too threw the bat about a fair bit. The Sri Lankans too.

Really I'd argue only the New Zealanders and Bangladesh are boring to watch of the test nations.

PhoeniX
06-08-2004, 08:14 PM
I broke my finger saturday playing cricket and i'm out for the rest of the season. :mad:

CFC
06-08-2004, 08:43 PM

K1: No. That is maybe a step up from pro wrestling.

UFC is alright to watch they have some good fights sometimes. If you really wanna watch stuff like this you should just stick to Pride FC.

Jacoby
06-08-2004, 09:34 PM
The topic is 'Cricket'.

acliff
06-08-2004, 09:55 PM
K1: No. That is maybe a step up from pro wrestling.

UFC is alright to watch they have some good fights sometimes. If you really wanna watch stuff like this you should just stick to Pride FC.

Excuse me? Do you know what K1 is? Its essentially thai boxing with incredibly built men, who kick each other in the head extremely hard. If you've been kicked in the head by a 6 foot something 250 pound man, you'll see what makes it amazing to watch.

CFC
07-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Yes I do know what K-1 is. It is a sport where Bob Sapp, the K-1 poster boy with no skill, fights tomato cans. K-1 was alright, they did have some very good shows. Since Sapp came they have gone down hill they are a side show. I mean they have Genki Sudo (155 lbs) fight Butterbean(300+ lbs) When I watch fighting I want to see good fights not freak shows. That is why I stick with Pride and some UFC.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Too stay on topic. I think cricket is one of the sports that is not fun to watch but fun to play. I played for a year here at school and had a great time with it. I would have played more but lacrosse took up to much of my time.

Hazzle
07-08-2004, 12:29 AM
CRICKET DAMNIT...STAY ON TOPIC! (How ironic it's me saying that :p)

ON topic...England have massacred the Windies...first out there and now back home...where next for the team? Flintoff is showing maturity in his batting, and his bowling is better than ever, certainly a proper all-rounder now...Giles' ability to actually get wickets rather than just contain has radically improved and he's learnt how to better utilise angle and the pitch to get that extra spin and bounce, which with his natural height is really helpful. Vaughan, Trescothick, Strauss, Key, Thorpe...solid batting line up, and of course Harmison has settled into one of the best bowlers in the world right now in terms of his wicket haul this year (best equal I think with Murali...or second behind him)...Jones and Anderson ever improving and Hoggard finally showing a far higher level of consistency...

Liam
07-08-2004, 02:40 PM
You seem very proud of the English team...but remember they were playing against possibly the weakest side in test cricket at the moment (other than Bangladesh, but whos counting).

Give them a real test match...South Africa or Australia as opposition. Then we will be properly able to judge their improvement. Its one thing to beast rape crap opposition, its another to beat a real world class side.

deviljet88
07-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Let him indulge in a sense of success... until the Australians kick their asses in the Ashes :)

Hazzle
07-08-2004, 03:45 PM
You'll find I already stated far earlier in the thread that the Windies have hardly been the best opposition. As for facing South Africa? C'mon mate...we set our standards a tad higher than that...for me India are the next benchmark, and then of course the Aussies, but we're a FAIR bit away from beating you guys, and I'm smart enough to realise that.

Cockiness is not an admirable trait boys. Who won the Rugby World Cup out in Australia? Against your boys...in the final? Nuff said...now who's smiling? :p

I was merely noting an improvement in the England team...a few years ago even this pathetic Windies side would've given us a test...now I feel we're at least amongst the top teams...we can realistically consider taking on India or South Africa without it being a foregone conclusion that we'll lose. Now I know you lot are still hot cos you're our fucking penal colony...but even you dimwits have to be able to spot a trend of improvement in the England team? Or is it fear that with the youth in this team your days of whipping us silly are over? Not saying we'll ever replace you as the kings of cricket any time soon...but we're no more than a few years short of beating your boys for once ;)

PhoeniX
10-08-2004, 10:08 AM
You seem very proud of the English team...but remember they were playing against possibly the weakest side in test cricket at the moment (other than Bangladesh, but whos counting).

Give them a real test match...South Africa or Australia as opposition. Then we will be properly able to judge their improvement. Its one thing to beast rape crap opposition, its another to beat a real world class side.

The morale will be better for the Ashes by beating the weakest teams.

deviljet88
10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Cockiness is not an admirable trait boys. Who won the Rugby World Cup out in Australia? Against your boys...in the final? Nuff said...now who's smiling? :p

Thank god Bellum bumped this thread up, or I wouldn't noticed that dire insult you made! We kicked your ass when you came back to Australia without your precious Johnny Wilkinson :P One man team mate, us Aussies aren't afraid of the teams you Poms can field :) Besides maybe the soccer... but hey, we still managed a fluke win against you at Old Trafford :P

Hazzle
11-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Thank god Bellum bumped this thread up, or I wouldn't noticed that dire insult you made! We kicked your ass when you came back to Australia without your precious Johnny Wilkinson :P One man team mate, us Aussies aren't afraid of the teams you Poms can field :) Besides maybe the soccer... but hey, we still managed a fluke win against you at Old Trafford :P

Wrong sport...but at least you conceded it was a fluke in a friendly...irony is when we fielded the kids in the second half we won the second half 1-0 :p

I always swore Rio Ferdinand was too much of a pussy...being pushed over my Harry "I'm a gay ice dancer" Kewell indeed...for shame!

The England cricket team finally has depth to it...the likes of Anderson/Jones are battling for a place...and BOTH might've missed if we'd gone with the extra spinner...the batting too...when Butch gets back I wonder if he'll even get a game...

It's a building task...but we're on the right track.

You're still our former bloody penal colony so :p The only reason you can beat us is because we gave you back your independence because you all smell so bad. :D That and the fact we let you win in sympathy for all the fucking over we did of your country over the years :)

deviljet88
11-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Of course I have to concede the win in the friendly was a fluke, geez we still haven't made the World Cup besides the 1960's or whatever (or is it never...). And that is so cheap trying to claim you're delibrately losing to us :P I know your brittle Pommy hearts would shatter at the dishonourability of losing to slaves :)