PDA

View Full Version : London for the Summer?

Kelsey
04-02-2008, 03:19 AM
Randomly thinking of heading to London (well....a bit outside London) for a month or two this Summer. My question for those who already have the privelage of living there:
Where are some live-able areas in and around London that aren't known for being insanely expensive? I'm not looking for Buckingham Palace (obviously), and I don't have a billion dollars. I might have a friend with me, but a studio or one room would be great. Any ideas what price range I am looking at per month?
I know this isn't exactly a super great conversation starter, but hopefully you guy'll be cool and let this thread stay around long enough for my questions to be answered.

Oh, and anyone know of any sources to find apartments being subrented for the summer? I've found a few, but there can never be enough.

Thanks guys,
Kelsey

hasselbrad
04-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry, I sort of bumped your thread down here.
I would be interested in knowing stuff like this as well. Me and the future Mrs. are planning a trip to Europe and will be spending a good bit of it in England. Are there less fashionable, yet safe areas of London where a night's lodging will be less than my monthly car payment?

Katielondon
04-02-2008, 09:30 PM
i wouldnt bother going to London at all, its cold-less so in the summer but still rains alot and is generally grey, over crowded, public transport is shit and very expensive,driving anywhere takes ages and is very expensive, most Londoners are generally busy and rude or dont speak English at all in fact its one place im going to be quite happy to never return to again and ive lived in London since i was 2.

barrington
05-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Kels, glad to see that we'll have you for a third OMGWTFKKWBBQ; surely a record for an international traveller!
Your first port of call for all things London rental should be www.gumtree.com which changes every day and is absolutely invaluable for london. For a two bedroom studio somewhere sensible (ie- not shit or full of gangsters or jamaicans) then look to pay around 1000 per month (US$2000). You can get a double room in a shared house for around 500-600 per month in Zone 2.

If you want to be right in the thick of the action then its obviously going to cost a lot more ($28,000 a month for a top-whack place in Mayfair anyone?) but somewhere like Fulham, Barons Court or Hammersmith is a good compromise and should be around the 1200/month mark. Generally speaking a bit further from the centre: West is expensive but salubrious, East is cheap and full of Nigerians, South is grotty and full of Jamaicans and North is pretentious and full of artists and Australians. Southeast is full of students, northeast is where the commoners live, south west is too pricey for anyone except squillionaires and (for some reason) Polish migrants, north west is a bit of a leafy hinterland.

It also rains a lot, but you'll find that out.

Kelsey
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been in London while it's raining, and I sorta like it. Different than over here, that's for sure. I'll definitely check out that site Baz.

Brad, when will you guys be over there?

Katielondon
08-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been in London while it's raining, and I sorta like it. Different than over here, that's for sure. I'll definitely check out that site Baz.

im looking very forward to my iminant return to Ca :D

hasselbrad
11-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Dunno. You know those insurance ads that talk about "life coming at you fast" where the guy is walking down the street and suddenly winds up in a big ball of stuff?
That's kind of how it is right now. We were hoping for this year, but it may be next.

Kelsey
24-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Alright....I've decided not to spend the whole summer in London (mostly because I have to take a Summer school class), but have decided to spend a month throughout the U.K. And so...

I will be in London from August 8 thru the 12th or 13th and really want to get together with everyone. Hopefully I will be more fun than last time since last time was the end of the worst two weeks of my entire life (I still haven't spoken to certain members of my family that I travelled with since then), but I'm hitting up London to get together with you guys, so let's make some plans!