PDA

View Full Version : Would your parents be ok with you dating somebody of different race?

CFC
24-07-2004, 07:10 PM
This came up in conversation with a friend yesterday. I asked my parents and they said they would be ok, but it was not the most entheuastic response. I have never dated anybody of another race, but I would given the chance.

My grandparents on the other hand would proabably consider me not part of the family anymore if I did, that would not stop me though.

So would your parents approve?

Richard
24-07-2004, 07:23 PM
My parents are very protective of me. Every now and then they would always tell me to marry someone whose "white", and at the risk of sounding like a biget... I would prefer a cacuasion women. I'm white too, if you didn't catch that. I'm always somewhat fascinated by other races, sometimes from where I live, they get annoying, really fast. But in the case that I do marry a women from another race, there's not really a lot they can do about it. It's not their decision. As of now, for the time being, I have my sights set on cacuasion women. So sue me.

Kelsey
24-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Well, my dad and his family would be okay with it, and I'm estranged with the rest of my family, so whether or not they approved wouldn't matter to me.

duckula
24-07-2004, 07:32 PM
No, we don't like foreigners.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 07:32 PM
I just realized that I have never dated a white girl. All of the girls I have had relationships with were either black, hispanic, or asian. I guess it never dawned on me that some people would see this as a problem. Is it really that serious of an issue?

Kelsey
24-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Is it really that serious of an issue?

I'd say it depends on where you live. It's probably not as big of a deal to date outside of your race in Texas than it is in say....Alabama.

CFC
24-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I guess this issue would mean more to me because I live in North Carolina. 90% of my neighborhood is white, 90% of my school is white, most of my friends are white.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I guess I just took for granted living in a very tolerant city (4th largest in US). That still doesn't mean there isn't a somewhat small faction made up of those ignorant ones who are not quite so tolerant. But I'm sure its much better here than most other places.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 07:50 PM
It's funny that you are from NC, because I'm listening to Petey Pablo right now. It must be cool to have a musical artist completely represent your state. All we have is Lil' Flip and Scarface since Beyonce turned her back on H-Town. You know of Petey Pablo, right?

CFC
24-07-2004, 07:51 PM
IThat still doesn't mean there isn't a somewhat small faction made up of those ignorant ones who are not quite so tolerant.

There are quite a few people here that are like that. I was just trying to find out what it is like for people in different parts of the world.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 07:55 PM
The only people talking in this thread are from NC, CA, and TX. Where are the Oceanians and Europeans? We need your valuable opinions!

Sarah
24-07-2004, 08:09 PM
My parents would be fine with it. My mum wouldn't mind, as along as he speaks English. Looks like Ronaldo is out, :p.

acliff
24-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Well I'm Korean.
For a while, my mum woulda gone crazy if I went out with someone who isn't Korean, but having lived here for 13 years, my my mum's mild racism (Korea is a very 'pure' family tie based culture you see) has been toned right down.

She has told me recently that she wouldn't be able to cope with a black or indian girlfriend. Unless she was really really rich, heh.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 08:31 PM
ACliff, you're Korean and u live in England? Isn't that a little rare? Are you the only Asian guy that you know? Please excuse my inquisitive nature, I've never been anywhere.

acliff
24-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Well... I live 10 miles from the higest concentration of Korean people in the world, outside South Korea. So I know a couple of people, yeah.
And you'll find that England is quite multicultural. At least in the big towns and cities.

One of the things that makes me somewhat more socially acceptable than most other Korean people is my extensive British grammar school upbringing, my middle class london accent, and my distinctly British sense of humour.

Guido
24-07-2004, 09:05 PM
My parents don't mind who i date... so yes for me.. :D

KeirazBabe
24-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Nah my parents wouldn't mind at all.. unless they were a refugee i think lol.

xXx

bryan
25-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Hey Acliff, I'm Korean too. I was always wondering how it would be to grow up in England like you have. Do you think it would be difficult for someone like me to get along over there in say...7 or 8 years from now when I'm done with univeristy? Would I be able to find an English girl of interest or will I drown in lonely misery..?

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 03:44 AM
Nope...open minded parents...doubt they'd care gender, sexual preference, race...none of that...well...I say "parents"...my mum'd be cool, but my dad's a narrow minded prude...but then I don't really respect him enough to care what he thinks :)

acliff
25-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey Acliff, I'm Korean too. I was always wondering how it would be to grow up in England like you have. Do you think it would be difficult for someone like me to get along over there in say...7 or 8 years from now when I'm done with univeristy? Would I be able to find an English girl of interest or will I drown in lonely misery..?

Entirely depends on how pretty you are.
Seriously though, as long as you're a nice person, you'll get on fine.
A finely tuned sense of humour, intelligence, and work ethic helps too.
Most people are fairly open minded, and its more about how you make them feel rather than where you're from or what you look like.

Although just the other day at work, I had finished making a string handle for this woman for her newly purchased hifi, and as per usual, I put my all into it, and the handle was good.
The woman woman says in an extremely condescending way:
'I bet you're good at origami aintcha!'

At which point I smile sweetly. Whereas my manager's face becomes one of extreme shock, and my work collegue has to go around the corner to laugh his face off. The woman I think realised that what she said wasn't particularly appropriate so hurried out without another word.

Ashlyn
25-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Nope, it wouldn't be an issue with my parents. They've brought up my brother and I to be completely accepting of all people so it wouldn't bother them at all.

Glare
25-07-2004, 12:07 PM
My parents would be fine with it. My dad wouldn't mind, as along as she speaks English.

KeirazBabe
25-07-2004, 12:08 PM

Lmfao *nods*

Although just the other day at work, I had finished making a string handle for this woman for her newly purchased hifi, and as per usual, I put my all into it, and the handle was good.

At which point I smile sweetly. Whereas my manager's face becomes one of extreme shock, and my work collegue has to go around the corner to laugh his face off. The woman I think realised that what she said wasn't particularly appropriate so hurried out without another word.

Oh my jaysus chrst cant believe that woman! *dies* but bet the stribng handle was fabby..haha. :D

xXx

Narg
25-07-2004, 12:48 PM
My parents wouldn't care at all, no offence to any1, but i dont find many people from other races attractive, except ofcourse for the models and superstars, i dont know why, but i prefer white women :/.

Dyce_Blue
25-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Seriously though, as long as you're a nice person, you'll get on fine.
A finely tuned sense of humour, intelligence, and work ethic helps too.
Most people are fairly open minded, and its more about how you make them feel rather than where you're from or what you look like.

In America, the white women are good at origami, and yoga.

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Nope, it wouldn't be an issue with my parents. They've brought up my brother and I to be completely accepting of all people so it wouldn't bother them at all.

Yeah, so have mine...to be clear on the race issue my parents wouldn't care...the thing I said bout my dad being a prude related more to the other more controversial aspects ;)

bryan
25-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Oh. Well in that case, since I am uh, beautiful beyond comprehension I should have no trouble attracting every female that is fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of my glowing figure...yeah...
There are alot of close-minded bigots where I live and so it's pretty difficult to find a girl with a decent character if you know what I mean. People around here don't really know much about the world outside of their bubble so they don't really know any better. For example, a friend of mine has never felt snow.
Anyway, I wonder if anyone would fall for my pseudo-British accent. I've been practicing. Sort of.

Ardnax
25-07-2004, 07:43 PM
My mum no, my dad yes. I better keep my mouth shut if I'm with a black boy or any other rase.

Richard
25-07-2004, 07:49 PM
since I am uh, beautiful beyond comprehension I should have no trouble attracting every female that is fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of my glowing figure.

That's what I tell myself everyday.

There are alot of close-minded bigots where I live and so it's pretty difficult to find a girl with a decent character if you know what I mean. People around here don't really know much about the world outside of their bubble so they don't really know any better. For example, a friend of mine has never felt snow.
Anyway, I wonder if anyone would fall for my pseudo-British accent. I've been practicing. Sort of.

The fact that you're from California and you said that, I can relate... a lot. I could use that excuse about how pathetic the people (or girls) are from where I live, but nobody seems to buy it. Something a lonely person would say. That's bullshit, because I've never felt snow. To be honest, I've never been out of California. Like you said, perhaps I've never been out of my own bubble, but it's a big and comfortable bubble... so there's no rush. I pretty much amaze myself whenever I'm in a different city, it's so different and peaceful. Sometimes I can't even believe there is a place called England. There's a whole world out there, and I haven't seen anything.

I need help.

acliff
25-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Oh. Well in that case, since I am uh, beautiful beyond comprehension I should have no trouble attracting every female that is fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of my glowing figure...yeah...

Sure you can practice an accent, isn't it better being who you are and attracting people (however rare they might be) who like you for who you are, rather than what you want them to see?

Besides I don't need to practice my accent :-P As some here know...

bryan
25-07-2004, 08:16 PM
That's what I tell myself everyday.

The fact that you're from California and you said that, I can relate... a lot. I could use that excuse about how pathetic the people (or girls) are from where I live, but nobody seems to buy it. Something a lonely person would say. That's bullshit, because I've never felt snow. To be honest, I've never been out of California. Like you said, perhaps I've never been out of my own bubble, but it's a big and comfortable bubble... so there's no rush. I pretty much amaze myself whenever I'm in a different city, it's so different and peaceful. Sometimes I can't even believe there is a place called England. There's a whole world out there, and I haven't seen anything.

I need help.

Richard, welcome to the lonely hearts club...band..Okay that was dumb.
Well, I'm not a California native and I've only lived here for about six years now. I spent my childhood in a country under British rule and I was fortunate enough to travel all over the world and interact with different kinds of people so alot of my angst towards where I am now is because it's so different from what I was used to. It's true that this bubble is comfortable and anyone who has visited before would think that I'm crazy for wanting to get out but like you said, there is a whole world out there and it would be really unfortunate for anyone if they didn't get to experience it. So, put on some comfortable shoes and start running. Now.

Sure you can practice an accent, isn't it better being who you are and attracting people (however rare they might be) who like you for who you are, rather than what you want them to see?

Besides I don't need to practice my accent :-P As some here know...

Yeah I definitely know what you mean. I hope I didn't give the impression that I was trying to be someone else just to pick up girls. That would be terrible.
As for the accent, I had to act out a three-minute dialogue I had written involving an intense Cockney accent for my film class and it didn't sound all that bad. Imagine...skinny Asian kid pretending to be a British thief.

This was a long post. Forgive me.

acliff
25-07-2004, 08:20 PM
My voice doesn't suit me. Quite often, people are taken aback that I have an English accent, without even a hint of Oriental twinge. e.g. when I answer the phone at work, when the customer comes in, they don't expect it to be me.

KeirazBabe
25-07-2004, 08:42 PM
My voice doesn't suit me. Quite often, people are taken aback that I have an English accent, without even a hint of Oriental twinge. e.g. when I answer the phone at work, when the customer comes in, they don't expect it to be me.
Yesch.. mr.orlando bloom ;) or so im told tee hee :D

xXx

Flightfreak
25-07-2004, 09:42 PM
My parents wouldn't mind, i have an adopted brother from Haiti , :icon_wink
I have very open minded parents
:)

apoggy
25-07-2004, 09:52 PM
I dont thik my parents would mind at all. They have always let me make my own decisions, even from an early age.

Hazzle
26-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Yesch.. mr.orlando bloom ;) or so im told tee hee :D

xXx

Yes...and he lies...he practices every night whilst listening to his beloved Orlando on the POTC DVD. :D

Looking at some replies on this thread. I'm amazed at how closed minded some parents STILL are. I thought my dad was bad...sheesh :D

DesignatedJerk
26-07-2004, 05:37 AM
my parrents don't care. as long as it's not a guy.,they always say.

Spire
26-07-2004, 06:21 AM
my parrents don't care. as long as it's not a guy.,they always say.

Lol, yeah same here, but I vomit at the thought of any homosexual activity, so I doubt that'll be happening soon.

acliff
26-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Yes...and he lies...he practices every night whilst listening to his beloved Orlando on the POTC DVD. :D

Looking at some replies on this thread. I'm amazed at how closed minded some parents STILL are. I thought my dad was bad...sheesh :D

You know I don't even own any Keira films :-P Or Orlando films at that (yes I don't own any of the LOTR films... shoot me)

If I were gay, and dating a guy, my mother would murder me in my sleep. Probably. Or kill herself. I think she really likes the idea of grandchildren :)

wintergoddess
26-07-2004, 10:56 AM
I honestly at 18 years of age, cannot understand racism or bigotry. It baffles me beyond belief. :icon_conf People actually think that they are better than others because of the colour or their skin or heritage? Based on that, my auntie shouldn't of married her husband because he has Indian blood and I shouldn't date an Irish man because I'm british, it's just bizzarre! I cannot understand it. :icon_conf

As for the question, would my parents be okay with me dating someone of a different race, the answer is of course...HELL YES! Plus, as an adult it really has nothing to do with them.

hasselbrad
26-07-2004, 12:24 PM
...my father. Sadly, as much as I'd like to disagree with the "Alabama" reference in an earlier post, I would be wrong. He is originally from Alabama, as is most of my family. Gay might be easier than black.

KeirazBabe
26-07-2004, 06:54 PM
You know I don't even own any Keira films :-P Or Orlando films at that (yes I don't own any of the LOTR films... shoot me)

If I were gay, and dating a guy, my mother would murder me in my sleep. Probably. Or kill herself. I think she really likes the idea of grandchildren :)

Oh my jaysus you dont own any Keira films???????/ how can that be so? lol..and no LOTR? *dies* lol. Eek oh dear at your mother.. i best not turn you then ;) lol

xXx

jadie
26-07-2004, 07:12 PM
My parents wouldnt mind at all. :icon_conf

acliff
26-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Oh my jaysus you dont own any Keira films???????/ how can that be so? lol..and no LOTR? *dies* lol. Eek oh dear at your mother.. i best not turn you then ;) lol

xXx

Hah, I couldn't turn gay around you, thats for certain :-P
My mother would love you however :-P

KeirazBabe
26-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Hah, I couldn't turn gay around you, thats for certain :-P
My mother would love you however :-P
Lmao awww ;) tee hee and im sure i'd love ur mother! sounds so cute tee hee :p .. well im sure she'd love me until she found out i also fancy girls lol... oh dear..btw we are ontopic..sorta... ;)

xXx

Pygmalion
29-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Well my parents would'nt mind WHAT race my partner was-so long as they weren't my current gf. They HATE her for some reason that I don't know about.

havoc
29-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Note: I'm white. And gay.
My parents would rather I married a black male serial killer with ten eyes and devil horns than my current girlfriend.
Hmmm...trouble brewing.

KeirazBabe
29-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Well thats unfair for you pgys...you ever asked why they dislike her?

Also for havoc- eekness muchly... guessing your parents are quite homophoboic..oh dear..bt considering youve been together for quite a while in a stable loving relationship they should be happy for you?..no? :(

xXx

havoc
29-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Ok, here is the story. It's long. Hold tight.

Katy and I were happy friends. I'm already out, my parents are NOT happy, just generally stressed about it as I think most parents are, but we get along ok. Things are stable. Katy is just a 'good mate' and my parents like her. She comes for dinner, hangs out with my brother, etc etc.
Then after some time, there comes the whole sexual tension between us. Totally unacknowledged by either of us, might I add. Note: at this moment there IS NOTHING GOING ON between us. Totally platonic. Now, my mother and I had a quite close relationship, and she picked up on my vibes, like some scary mum radar, and confronts me, accusing Katy and I of sleeping together. This is totally untrue, I tell her so. Cue screaming argument.
Scene is now the next day at school. I say to Katy "omigod, guess what? My mum thinks WE'RE TOGETHER!! How weird is THAT??" Cue uncomfortable silence.
Soooo...later that day. Katy bumbs into mum in the parking lot. She says to mum, "by the way, I know what you think is going on between me and your daughter, I just want to reassure you, there's nothing happening." My mum is really pissed at me for telling Katy, but life goes on.
The next WEEK, like 5 DAYS later, Katy and I hook up after a ball. Now, mum thinks both I and Katy horrible horrible lesbian freaks, and also that Katy is a horrible horrible lesbian LIAR.
Try convincing my mother that there wasn't anything going on that afternoon, yet one week later we're very much involved.

Phew. Are you still awake?? That's the short verson.

ryan
29-07-2004, 12:58 PM
My step-dad would have an absolute fit if I was dating anyone but a white girl.
My dad probably wouldn't be too happy if I didn't date a white girl, but he'd accept the fact and get over it as time passed.
My mom would support me no matter what color/race/etc the person was.

KeirazBabe
29-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Ok, here is the story. It's long. Hold tight.

Katy and I were happy friends. I'm already out, my parents are NOT happy, just generally stressed about it as I think most parents are, but we get along ok. Things are stable. Katy is just a 'good mate' and my parents like her. She comes for dinner, hangs out with my brother, etc etc.
Then after some time, there comes the whole sexual tension between us. Totally unacknowledged by either of us, might I add. Note: at this moment there IS NOTHING GOING ON between us. Totally platonic. Now, my mother and I had a quite close relationship, and she picked up on my vibes, like some scary mum radar, and confronts me, accusing Katy and I of sleeping together. This is totally untrue, I tell her so. Cue screaming argument.
Scene is now the next day at school. I say to Katy "omigod, guess what? My mum thinks WE'RE TOGETHER!! How weird is THAT??" Cue uncomfortable silence.
Soooo...later that day. Katy bumbs into mum in the parking lot. She says to mum, "by the way, I know what you think is going on between me and your daughter, I just want to reassure you, there's nothing happening." My mum is really pissed at me for telling Katy, but life goes on.
The next WEEK, like 5 DAYS later, Katy and I hook up after a ball. Now, mum thinks both I and Katy horrible horrible lesbian freaks, and also that Katy is a horrible horrible lesbian LIAR.
Try convincing my mother that there wasn't anything going on that afternoon, yet one week later we're very much involved.

Phew. Are you still awake?? That's the short verson.

Sorrry dont mean to :icon_spam just thought i could not reoly to this post.. wow n jaysus.. that is crazy stuff and eek what a situation! 0_o but im glad you and katy are happy :)

xXx

CollisionStar
29-07-2004, 11:28 PM
I have no idea what my family would think. I only live with my mum, so I think she would be ok with it. Maybe a little uncomfortable at first. My brother wouldn't care.

Since I live with Mum, I'm only close with her side of the family. My fav cousin (she's my age) wouldn't care either. I can't say about that other people. Ecspecially my grandparents. I think they would be shocked, or at least keep asking me "Why? What's so good about him?"

havoc
30-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Hey, those of you who's parents would be less than impressed with you dating someone of a different race, I have a question:

Are you living in an area with a low level of multi-culturalism? For example, my parents wouldn't have an issue with me dating someone of a different race, but then where I live there are lots of different cultures living side by side. I think that if we live somewhere more "white" then they would be more offended by the concept. Comments?

Pygmalion
01-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Well Armihole isn't all that multi-cutlural but my parents lived in the NT (up north) where lots of indonesians come down to have babies etc etc etc, so they're pretty accepting but generally people in Armi and surrounding areas are racists.
A white girl in my year called one of my friends a "fucking Asian" and the joke making the rounds at the moment was made up by one of my friends:
Q. What do you call a bunch of aboriginals rolling down a hill?
A. An Abalanche
Q. What is it called when they run back up?
A. Black Magic
Witty. REAL witty.
Also there's this HUGE joke that a girl in my year is German. She isn't. Shes Australian but someone stuck Swastikas all over her locker last year...

Hazzle
01-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Niiice. Racism is not cool kids :D

gracie
01-08-2004, 02:31 PM
ah no, i found that out the strange way. i used to date black guys occasionally, when i started dating one guy in particular and we were more serious than i usually get with guys, i mentioned to my mother that i was dating someone. she asked where he lived and when i mentioned the town- which has the reputation of being predominately black and poor. she asked in a scandalized tone if he was black and then got really pissed off. didnt stop me from dating him till we ended over a non race issue. a few months later i mention the relationship and my mom disgust to my dad. and he suprisingly didnt seem as bothered by the guy-perhaps because it was over. he made excuses for my mom saying that she was from the south and had grown up with these prejeudices. so no its not ok with my mom and my dad has a dont ask dont tell policy- same thing with my sexual orientation. weirddd. my friends are also strangely prejuediced having grown up in all white neighboorhoods and gone to private schools where there might be 5 black students out of 400. so i date black guys but i dont tell anyone.

rabbit
02-08-2004, 03:59 PM
my parents would say something if they found out i dated someone who was not my race. I'm a BBC..british Born chinese..and my rents do nick pick at things...like the odd comment..i hope he's not white etc....but then again..my mum would tease me if i got some male mates ringing up or coming over..but i think deep down, she'll object tho. Having said that, i do have cousins who are half white and half chinese...so i dont know. I have never dated a chinese guy tho...all white and one black guy....i still rememeber the stares we got when we went out :icon_roll.

where i come from, its very multicultural...lots of Asians, chinese etc...and being a students city from people coming all over Europe and the rest of the world, i consider myself lucky.

Pygmalion
03-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Well generally rural areas in Austrlaia are racist-mostly against aboriginals, it wouldn't be my PARENTS I'd be worried about, it'd be my peers if i was dating an aboriginal.

keiracaleb
06-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Neither my mum nor dad would care whether i went out with someone from a diffrerent race, of the same sex, if he/she depending on what i am when i'm older was older than me or younger than me, it wouldn't matter, as long as they weren't like 19 and i'm 12, my friend is engaged to her boyfriend of 6 months and she's 13, he's 19, they're planning to get married when rachel is 17, i think it's sweet. But i have only ever dated white guys, but have always fancied guys from other races especially blacks and indians, i love them and they are so kind (most of them) i'm firneds with a few indian people and they're really cool, but i'm brought up in a town where you see alot of chinese people and white people and hardly any indians or black people which is a shame because it would be nice to see a wider variety of people in my town. But there is a girl in my street who is off black dad and white mother, she said i called her a 'nigger' when i didn't even know what the bloody word meant! she also said that i wrote 'niggers live here' on her front door, which would be impossible seeing as i was in mallorca at the time and i wouldn't just fly bakc to write that on her doo then fly back to spain! she thinks my family is racist, but its her thats racist, she cals us white chocolate and says we match the snow and stuff like that, she's racist but she's too darn thick to realise it!

alby
08-08-2004, 08:25 AM
For my parents, it all depends on the character of the person and not her ethnicity.

gracie
09-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Neither my mum nor dad would care whether i went out with someone from a diffrerent race, of the same sex, if he/she depending on what i am when i'm older was older than me or younger than me, it wouldn't matter, as long as they weren't like 19 and i'm 12, my friend is engaged to her boyfriend of 6 months and she's 13, he's 19, they're planning to get married when rachel is 17, i think it's sweet.
ew...thatgs not sweet thats like criminal and a tad gross. i mean thats a fully matured guy having sex with a girl whos just in puberty that is disgusting. he must be quite the skeez not to be able to date his own age.

kilyncw
12-08-2004, 05:33 PM
well my fam is white, and my stepdad isn't totally racist but doesn't believe in the mix. and my sister is engaged and pregnant to a black guy. so uh my mom is cool with it. my real dad is cool with it but my stepdad who calls the shots at the house yeah the baby won't be allowed there nor the husband.
________
Public movie (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/35/public/videos/1)

johnnyboy
16-08-2004, 02:26 PM
I'd call that racist

My parents dont give a flying fuck whether i date a black, white, hispanic, girl, they are cool that way

NearokA
03-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Whoa, there are koreans here?

Well then, ahn young hae sae yo motherf***ers!

Yea, I mostly grew up in the states, and believe it or not, it's still pretty racist here. When I was younger, I had to deal with people always calling me chink, china man, or gook. It was hard and I've had to endure a lonely childhood. I also had to deal with these ignorant white people not having any clue where korea is (no offense to anyone intended).

Typical conversation:
white guy: So, like, where are you from?
me: korea.
white guy: Is that like in china or something?
me: no, but it's near there.
white guy: O, so you mean like japan?
me: (sigh) -.-
(leaves)

To stay on topic, my mother is very consevative korean. She only accepts korean girls, and no other. Although if I dated someone of a different race, should would not stop me. She would just give me disappointing looks. My dad and my grandmother, on the other hand, don't really care. In fact, my grandmother encourages me to meet other people of different races.

Personally, I don't really have any problems with white women or women from other races. I don't think they really care just as long as you're beautiful and have a good sense of humor and style. I find these things essential:

(1). Personal Hair stylist. My hair stylist just happens to be a white woman who's into punk and goth. She's really great and fun to talk to. She has a different flair for style than most other people. Besides, she keeps me looking like a gorgeous super model for only $60 every 3 months (I get my hair colored too). I thinking a three tone brown for this quarter.

(2). Workout. This really pertains to you and not attracting other women. You see, having extra lean muscle really boosts self confidence. And that extra self confidence boost really helps in getting the ladies. I think women key into that on a subconcious level.

(3). Clothes. Style is really important. Picking the right watch, the right shoes, etc. really says alot about a man. On a positive note, at least you won't be bored to tears when she takes you out shopping.

My english is really good. In fact, it's the subject I really excel at besides math and the sciences. And I've taken a fondess for things like poetry, playwrights, and of course, philosophy. English was my first language, and I speak a very broken korean. Of course, my parents would never have me major in anything other than engineering, medical doctor, or dentist. But that's an entirely new topic.