PDA

View Full Version : Open Office ?

frodo1511
07-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I need some help for my computer literacy class I'm currently taking. The class requires Office Pro 2k7, which is rather pricey. I can either buy it, or use the computers in a dingy lab at random hours of the day. I've heard about the program Open Office before, but haven't really looked into it much. Could someone (Ice, Liam, etc.) explain if it is a good substitute to Office Pro 2k7?

Digital_Ice
07-01-2008, 05:15 PM
open office is probably the best alternative, its pretty much similar to office in its functions, so its not to difficult to get used to.
OpenOffice contains equivalent software to all parts of MS Office Pro 2007 except outlook (which no one ever uses anyway)

Writer works just like word
Calc just like excell
Impress like a basic version of powerpoint
Base works brilliantly on its own, getting MS acees databases to work is tricky, but theres a guide on the OpenOffice site i belive.
Draw is the only thng thats signifactly different from its MS equivalent (publisher) but its still possible to get the same results

hasselbrad
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Can Open Office open Word documents and allow editing?
I have Microsoft Works on my laptop, which is basically Office, but I can't take a Word document into it and edit (I don't think) it. I don't do it a lot, so maybe it just requires something I'm not seeing.
I just don't want to pay for Office, since I'll hardly use it.

frodo1511
07-01-2008, 05:49 PM
The only apps from Office 2k7 that the class will extensively use is Access, Powerpoint, Excel and Word.

?, though: if I do a powerpoint assignment in OO and turn it in electronically, will the professor on the other hand be able to open my work in PP2k7? If not, then I won't waste my time, as everything I do is turned in electronically.

Digital_Ice
07-01-2008, 08:26 PM
it is possible to save in office formats. however im not certain as to how exact it would look in office.

frodo1511
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok, that's what I was wondering...I don't want to send my prof. an "Powerpoint 2007" from OO if he can smell bullshit.

barrington
07-01-2008, 10:27 PM
except outlook (which no one ever uses anyway)You what sir? I use Outlook for my email handling and calendar requirements and I luffs it.

Hazzle
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I used to have to use it for work. Horrible thing Baz. Try Thunderbird. There are few (if any) functions Outlook has that Thunderbird doesn't (at least with an Add-On or two) and it looks a damn sight better (not hard, as Outlook is ugly as hell, 2007 in particular). I luff it.

Digital_Ice
07-01-2008, 11:06 PM
heh, i use it too. I was meaning they dont use it for literacy classes, which is what the reason for him wanting Open Office.

Hazzle
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Meh, still think Thunderbird is better. Send/Receive is a lot more responsive than Outlook.

Digital_Ice
08-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Send/Receive is a lot more responsive than Outlook.

Royal Mail is more responsive than Outlook.

Liam
08-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Newer versions of open office and MS office are largely interchangable however there are some formatting issues when moving between product suites.

You would be best off using open office at home/on laptop and double checking the formatting of your work in said dingy labs at random hours before submitting to your lecturer.

frodo1511
08-01-2008, 04:38 AM
You would be best off using open office at home/on laptop and double checking the formatting of your work in said dingy labs at random hours before submitting to your lecturer.

Will do, sir.

Liam
08-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Office shouldnt be that pricey if you buy it through your school. I can buy Office 2007 Professional for under 200 bucks here, the only limitation being the education license. But unless you plan to make money from it, thats not an issue.

barrington
08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm so sorry but I can't bare it any longer. Frodo, use Isohunt you nobblet.
There, I've said it.

frodo1511
08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm so sorry but I can't bare it any longer. Frodo, use Isohunt you nobblet.
There, I've said it.

...I didn't want to be a thief, but whatever:P

frodo1511
09-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Problem solved-got Office 2k7 Pro through my dad and the Armed Forces/Micro$oft deal-cost me 20 bucks.

frodo1511
18-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Alright, got Office Enterprise today, and my dumb self decided I needed Publisher, OneNote, InfoPath and Groove installed on my laptop...how I just take those four components off without unstalling the entire thing? I'm a tad confused as to the whole process, as when I put the DVD back in, their wasn't a clear-cut tab/box to click to say "unstall x2007".

Nevermind, taken cared of.