PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think That if Keira Was Black...she would have the samesucces a she has now?

Guido
24-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Well do you think that she would have the same succes with the same looks and everything..but she was black would she have tha same succes?

Narg
24-07-2004, 11:15 AM
No, she wouldnt have the same looks, and she isnt the best actor around ( she's awesome ) but she does get alot of her fame from her beauty. I cannot picture a black keira knightley, but i dont think it would be good.

Guido
24-07-2004, 11:29 AM
i don't think she would have the same succes either..

Spire
24-07-2004, 04:19 PM
This has got to be the dumbest thread ever. Congratulations.

Renegade
24-07-2004, 04:26 PM
All I have to say is that any ethnic actress is capable of acheiving success (i.e. Halle Berry, Lucy Liu).

Sarah
24-07-2004, 04:30 PM
She wouldn't have been cast in any of the roles that she's had. If she was born black she wouldn't even be the same person, everything would have been different.

This question doesn't really make much sense at all.

DesignatedJerk
24-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Well do you think that she would have the same succes with the same looks and everything..but she was black would she have tha same succes?
hard to say.I mean I dunno. I think maybe she would definitly have a career. I mean many hollywood actors and actresses out there are aferican american and they have very succesful acting careers. Halle berry, Denzel Washington, Jamie Fox, Jada picket smith, all succesful and hot names in hollywood,

but I think SHE her self would be different.

Richard
24-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Well I guess it's a good question if someone really wants to know what we think, but I think we can all safely say that if Keira was black (or any other race for that matter) she would be completely different. Everything from her personality to her looks. Heaven forbid, I'm not saying that whites have better success than blacks, because it's not true.

We are all equally worthless.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 05:14 PM
It doesn't seem to me like there is really a market for African-American british teenage girls. Right now, Halle Berry and Gabrielle Union are two of the most popular actresses in America. I guess Rosario Dawson would be next on the list. These three are very versitile acresses, and represent the most wanted African-American actresses in the states.

After the whole Scary Spice thing, I'm not sure America is ready for another African-American British celebrity. The same would be true if she were any other race. With the roles Keira has been cast, she has been perfect. She would have played an entirely different range of parts had she been born differently.

AKIRA
24-07-2004, 06:16 PM
It doesn't seem to me like there is really a market for African-American british teenage girls.

well as theres no such thing as african american british teens there wouldnt be would there

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Ooops, I guess I'm too used to being politically correct. What is the correct term for African-Americans in Europe. Saying colored or "coloured" in the US is kinda racist.

AKIRA
24-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Ooops, I guess I'm too used to being politically correct. What is the correct term for African-Americans in Europe. Saying colored or "coloured" in the US is kinda racist.

well if there british its not correct calling them african americans. and whats racist about saying colored? i would probable of said black but thats just me

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Saying colored in the US is an expired epithet. It is quite derrogatory, and is really only used in the south. My entire basketball team last year was black besides me. I haven't really heard the word colored used to describe people, and its kinda been an unspoken rule to say African-American for a while.

Kelsey
24-07-2004, 07:00 PM
This thread is going off topic, and it had the ability to become offensive and racist right from the start, so watch out for that.

CFC
24-07-2004, 07:01 PM
This has got to be the dumbest thread ever. Congratulations.

I had the exact same thought.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm kinda wondering why Guido started the board in the first place. The premise itself is already kinda questionable. Sorry if I led it astray even more.

ChocolateMoose
24-07-2004, 07:19 PM

This coming from people who call mentally handi-capped people "retarded" :eek13:

This question is a bit odd. She wouldn't be at all the same if she was coloured. However there are a lot of very successful african/asian etc actors and actresses, so it wouldn't be an impossibility.

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Guido, your user name itself is somewhat a racial epithet as well. I just hope that you are really Italian.

I think a better question for the poll would have been, Is race really a prominent factor in success. From the responses, it seems that the answer is yes.

The fact that this question is still going on is odd. We should probably start talking about Keira again. Once I find out how to start a poll, I have a good idea for one.

DragonRat
24-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately, I doubt she would receive the same amount of popularity, had she been black instead of white. I, for one, would not have been awed by her natural beauty, had I not seen her in a Caucasian shell. Of course, there are a few black actresses who I fancy, but they do not have as much potential for an engrossing career, as would a white actress; it's racist, but that's the darn truth. (Remember, Halle Berry won the same night Denzel Washington won, the same night Sidney Poitier won for a lifetime achievement award...sound fishy?)

True, black and white actresses can have just as much talent as each other. But, it's a matter of who can be marketed at a higher level and given more chances. In today's society, we cannot overlook the concept of racism, no matter how subtle it can be. I just do not believe that Keira would be as popular, if she were black.

Guido
24-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Ok.. i think we have got enough replies.. and that we dont want to be racists..
i'm sorry if i offended someone because i am not familiar with the language in the US and UK..( like the african-american thingie..).
enough for me...

Have a NIce Day.. :D

alby
25-07-2004, 01:29 AM

All recent polls conducted show that blacks in the US prefer to refer to themselves as black rather than African American. Besides, I don't think blacks care which term you use.

Saying the word colored is not necessarily racist. NAACP = National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

What's with the racial hypothetical question anyways...

Dyce_Blue
25-07-2004, 01:56 AM
The NAACP was founded in 1909, when the term "colored" was still in very wide use.

By the way, no problem Guido. I was too aggressive,

Josher
25-07-2004, 02:36 AM
No, because if you think about it, if she was the same, but had black skin, she would be one ugly person but I am not racist, all I am saying is that blacks, whites, asians etc., all have their distinctive looks and if Keira had black skin she would look awkward. There are many beautiful black people, asians etc., but Keira would be pretty funky looking.

Dyce_Blue
25-07-2004, 02:43 AM
I really think that Josher is on to something. Congrats for being the first person to come out and say what everybody wanted to hear all along. I believe this is the answer to the question.

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 03:57 AM
I'm assuming the question was if Keira didn't look the same and was black (because with all due respect I doubt her features would be found on a black person...because skin colour is just part of one's racial makeup...the bone structure differs, as do other things)...but had the same talent...would she be as big, and so I voted yes. I think I see no reason why a talented young coloured actress would not do well. Just look at her asian co-star in Bend It...she's gone on to big things...and in my view her talent isn't QUITE as good as Keira's, given she's a fair bit older (it's like a 6 year gap or something).

Still a fucking stupid thread though.

alby
25-07-2004, 05:38 AM
The NAACP was founded in 1909, when the term "colored" was still in very wide use.

By the way, no problem Guido. I was too aggressive,

If colored was so offensive, the organization would have changed its name a long time ago.

DragonRat
25-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Well, it's kinda stupid to change the name of the NAACP (which is one of the most well-known special interest groups in the United States). The term 'colored' is by itself a racist and outdated adjective, simply because 'colored' could mean anything other than white - including black, red, yellow, etc. What's the point in changing the NAACP to NAAAAP or NAABP? The change in the name does little to the image. However, any other use of the word 'colored' to mean non-white people in any racial context (in the NAACP's case, an outdated context), I find racist and derogatory.

But what's the point of this thread?

Hazzle
25-07-2004, 01:54 PM
But what's the point of this thread?

Don't think there is one...
:icon_spam

AJĀ©
29-07-2004, 09:19 AM
:icon_spam :icon_spam :icon_spam Stupid (kinda racist) thread

deviljet88
29-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Not really racist, just depends on what ethnic background you like physically, since that's what most people here like her for. Her acting isn't a good reason since there's more talent out there.

Justin
02-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I think she would definetly have succes in the movie-business,
because her parents stimulated her so much, because they work(ed?)
in that business too, if she would have been black and equal to the
beauty of Keira now... she would definetly have the same succes.

Sarah
02-08-2004, 10:12 PM
I think this thread has run its course. Its full of spam and I think everyone has reached the same conclusion.