PDA

View Full Version : Unclear on the Concept

hasselbrad
03-01-2008, 04:20 PM
It's always fascinated me that people have such a limited understanding of how things work in the real world. They think because they've suffered financially and/or publicly, that they are somehow exempted from actual prosecution for their crimes.
Case in point...Marion Jones (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i0BxpwuwHtmxlvjEBDhyefmAUj8wD8TU28280) thinks she should only get probation for lying to federal authorities, based on the fact that she's been stripped of her gold medals. Apparently, she doesn't understand that lying to federal authorities and cheating at track and field are different offenses. I hope she goes to jail, not because I think the Olympics are some holier than holy grail of competition, but mostly because she's stupid.
Any others spring to mind?

Leonie
03-01-2008, 06:28 PM
The Australian Bali Nine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bali_Nine) come to mind.

They smuggled eight kilos of heroine into Indonesia, got caught and put into jail. Most of them are awaiting the death penalty, or are stuck with a life sentence in a disgraceful prison. Some of the life sentences were appealed and actually upped to death penalties.

I figure, if you've got a life sentence despite that some of your buddies are copping the death penalty, it'd be wise not to appeal, but to thank your lucky starts instead.

Still, they ask for clemency, and ask for the Australian government to bail them out. Guess what, you smuggled heroine into Indonesia, a country renowned for its heavy penalties regarding drugs. You knew that you'd be absolutely screwed if you were caught, yet you put your life on the line for heroine worth 4 million australian dollars (2.4 million euros, or 1.5 million pounds). That's stupid.

Don't go complaining that penalties are too harsh - you picked the country, remember?

hasselbrad
03-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Speaking of people who are unclear on the concept, Britney was finally deposed today. Of course, it was supposed to be from 0945 until 1145 and it sounds like she showed up at about 1130. This, after "calling in sick" to the last deposition.

Keira lover
16-01-2008, 12:53 AM
The Australian Bali Nine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bali_Nine) come to mind.

They smuggled eight kilos of heroine into Indonesia, got caught and put into jail. Most of them are awaiting the death penalty, or are stuck with a life sentence in a disgraceful prison. Some of the life sentences were appealed and actually upped to death penalties.

I figure, if you've got a life sentence despite that some of your buddies are copping the death penalty, it'd be wise not to appeal, but to thank your lucky starts instead.

Still, they ask for clemency, and ask for the Australian government to bail them out. Guess what, you smuggled heroine into Indonesia, a country renowned for its heavy penalties regarding drugs. You knew that you'd be absolutely screwed if you were caught, yet you put your life on the line for heroine worth 4 million australian dollars (2.4 million euros, or 1.5 million pounds). That's stupid.

Don't go complaining that penalties are too harsh - you picked the country, remember?

Drug smugglers sicken me.

Ranman
16-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Drug smugglers sicken me.

you sicken me

hasselbrad
16-01-2008, 12:55 PM
This has got to be the best "Whopper Freakout" ever! (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jan/14/girl-13-sticks-burger-king-burger-tampa-police-say/?news)

She managed to stay out of trouble for one hour and twenty six minutes, but then she got hungry. How does one make the leap from "I'm hungry" to "I think I'll take this knife down to Burger King and demand a cheeseburger"?

hasselbrad
28-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I just saw a guy wearing a New York Yankees cap and a Boston Red Sox jacket.
For those of you in England, that's like wearing an Arsenal shirt and a Tottenham scarf...or Newcastle and Sunderland...or Celtic and Rangers.
$)

michael22
29-01-2008, 03:42 AM
I just saw a guy wearing a New York Yankees cap and a Boston Red Sox jacket.
For those of you in England, that's like wearing an Arsenal shirt and a Tottenham scarf...or Newcastle and Sunderland...or Celtic and Rangers.
$)
Or a I love Palestine T-shirt and a star of David :p
Though I dont' think you would get stabbed for the baseball combo.While Glasgow you would be knifed then pissed on.

hasselbrad
29-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Or a I love Palestine T-shirt and a star of David :p
Though I dont' think you would get stabbed for the baseball combo.While Glasgow you would be knifed then pissed on.

I doubt you could pass unmolested through the Bronx or the southside of Boston wearing that sort of get-up.
And by molested, I mean stabbed or beaten with a tire iron.