PDA

View Full Version : Latest Movie on Theatre

gloworm
02-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi all. I am a newcomer. I do love Keira and I recently went to see Atonement on Gold Class as a Christmas present from my son. I was so excited about seeing it as I truly loved 'Pride & Prejudice' which is one of my favourite all time movies.
Sadly I was so disappointed. The acting of Keiren was great but did they need to have her chain smoking ?
My father passed away with lung cancer and I am troubled that smoking in movies is becoming popular. The character did not need to have this and I wonder why it was written into the script. Many young people look up to Keira and this is not what I feel should be portrayed as 'cool'.
I would have walked out if it had not been a present and I did not want to offend my son.
Has anyone seen the movie 'Thank you for smoking' ?
It seems that Nicole Kidman, Keira and others are allowing themselves to be advertisements for the tobacco industry.
Sadly this is not a movie I would see again. Keira is SO MUCH BETTER than this.
I would love to see a follow up of 'Pride and Prejudice' so much so, I am writing the sequel for myself. Even if it is just for me.
It feels so right and my head is busting with ideas on the Bennets, Darcy and others. :)

Surprize
02-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Welcome.
PS Smoking is a choice of every person.

freckles pheonix
02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Although i don't promote smoking, or do it myself, this movie was set in the early forties, when everyone smoked. Keira probably did this because if she was actually living in this time, it's what she would have been doing. People then did not know the dangers of smoking, and if you notice everyone else in the movie smokes as well. Any other movie set in this time period, will have most of it's cast smoking too. I don't want to make light of the situation, and I'm sorry if this offends anyone.

Ranman
02-01-2008, 08:49 PM
She smokes, She wears fur, She probably laughs at midgets like I do...who cares, its her life and its none of your business.

gloworm
04-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Keira is one of the lead characters of this movie and as so is a rule model. It is sad to see her do this. I want to see a movie without having smoking a shoved down our throat:( .

Digital_Ice
04-01-2008, 12:29 PM
by that logic, bruce willis shouldn't shoot people in die hard, micheal cane shouldn't steal in the italian job, daniel radcliff shouldn't disobey the teachers in harry potter. cause they're all setting a bad example by doing so.

Smoking is a part of everyday life, there is nothing illegal or taboo about it. and even if there was, it's only a film. If movie producers left out anything that might offend one certain type of people, movies would be complete crap.

hasselbrad
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
by that logic, bruce willis shouldn't shoot people in die hard, micheal cane shouldn't steal in the italian job, daniel radcliff shouldn't disobey the teachers in harry potter. cause they're all setting a bad example by doing so.

Smoking is a part of everyday life, there is nothing illegal or taboo about it. and even if there was, it's only a film. If movie producers left out anything that might offend one certain type of people, movies would be complete crap.

The Terminator should try to reason with Sarah Connor.
Predator should have a sit down with Arnold so they can work out their differences constructively.
Killing is wrong.

Leonie
04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I suppose that the difference between smoking in movies and the other behaviour you listed is that what you listed is either illegal or non-harmful. Smoking is in between the two - in between clearly wrong, and clearly innocent.

That means there is a grey zone where media influence could potentially sway people one way or the other.

gloworm
06-01-2008, 02:58 AM
I suppose that the difference between smoking in movies and the other behaviour you listed is that what you listed is either illegal or non-harmful. Smoking is in between the two - in between clearly wrong, and clearly innocent.

That means there is a grey zone where media influence could potentially sway people one way or the other.

I get what you are saying. I suppose it hits a raw nerve when I see those I hold in high regard smoking. They should do a movie on what it does to young people and the reality long term. I will try to check out the movies I see a bit better but the shorts of this movie had me hooked and if you expect too much you are quite often disappointed. I hope see does another Pride and Prejudice type movie as I long for another. I have watched this movie many times.
Perhaps even a romantic comedy if she does not want to be type cast.
It was not the acting but more the script that I believe was not to my liking.
Thanks for your comments

Sergio_Milano07
06-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Well you also have told