PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Swords

Digital_Ice
11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
From tomorrow, Samurai swords will be illegal in the UK

Samurai swords are to be outlawed under a government crackdown.

Possessing, manufacturing or importing the weapon will all be banned, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith will announce this week.

The penalty for breaching the law will be a minimum of six months in prison and a fine of 5,000.

The move will be seen as an attempt to counter the rise in popularity of Samurai swords among violent criminals.

For some it has become the weapon of choice.

Home Office figures show there have been nearly 100 crimes involving the sword since 2003 and at least six people have been murdered by them.

The only exemptions to the new laws will be genuine historical artefacts as used by collectors and martial arts clubs.

Among the crimes where Samurai swords were involved was that involving former Lib Dem MP Nigel Jones.

He was set upon in 2000 by Robert Ashman, who was wielding the weapon.

Although Mr Jones survived with horrific injuries his parliamentary aide Andrew Pennington was killed after being stabbed six times.

Earlier this year drug addict Hugh Penrose was jailed for at least 19 years for slashing a 21-year-old woman with a samurai sword and running her over.

Another case was Bradley Moran who was jailed for 17 years for killing a man with a Samurai sword after a row in a nightclub.

Only two months ago thieves armed with a similar weapon robbed a security van of 40,000 in Northampton.

Currently it is legal to buy Samurai swords and they are easily available in martial arts shops and on the internet.

The only restriction is they cannot be carried in a public place, the penalty for which is a maximum jail sentence of four years.

In March this year the government published a consultation paper called 'Banning Offensive Weapons'. It proposed outlawing all Samurai swords, although now is the first time firm plans will be put forward to do so.

In the last knife amnesty in 2006 a clutch of Samurai swords were among the 90,000 weapons handed in.

These events, however, have failed to stop the seemingly inexorable rise in knife crime.

Last month figures released under the Freedom of Information Act revealed a knife crime every 24 minutes of the day.

Samurai swords have been used in a number of violent films in recent years including Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill series, which featured scenes of people having limbs hacked off by Uma Thurman as she wielded the blade.

A Home Office spokeswoman said: "The Home Secretary will be making a statement to Parliament later this week.

"Part of that will include proposals to ban the possession of Samurai swords as well as manufacturing and importing them."

I for one think this is stupid. Anyone who is going to use the swords to commit crime, is going to get hold of them anyway, and anyone who isn't is no threat. This is actually proved by a statement in the above article;

"In the last knife amnesty in 2006 a clutch of Samurai swords were among the 90,000 weapons handed in. These events, however, have failed to stop the seemingly inexorable rise in knife crime."

And before you spout the bollocks about non-premeditative murder and easy of access... butchers knives are a lot easier to get hold of, and smaller, thus easier to conceal and dispose of.

This is another example of the nanny-state thinking they are protecting us and reducing crime, when in fact all its going to do is turn honest collectors into criminals.

Hazzle
11-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Lock the thread. You've made the only sensible point that can be made :p.

hasselbrad
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Pretty soon, y'all won't be trusted with anything sharper than a butterknife. You'll have to outsource cutting to third world nations.
:D

michael22
11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
What about a claymore? It is just as potent and easy to get a hold of, or a machete for fuck's sake.
This law is total shit. Next it will be fencing swords (or cutlasses) that go. I understand cane swords being outlawed as it is easily concealed, but a katana?!
This legislation will as Ice said only make it hard for the collectors to get a hold of them.
I am agaisnt this law (epsecially since regarding recent katana style robberies here it might be implemented forcing me to hand in a eight hundred dollar sword).

DanMan
15-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Almost 100 crimes in 4 years? Oh that must be the heart
of knife crimes for sure.
Hmmmm (60*24*365*4)/24=84,600 knife crimes in 4 years.
Oh yes..."cough cough" I can see why "cough" Katanas
must be banned right now! cough

Jacoby
15-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Instead of banning the Katana they should ban stabbing people.

Leonie
15-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Pity, I could use a big sword right about now.

To cut my own head off.

AAAAHHH. (bit frustrated)

Liam
15-12-2007, 10:26 PM
How do you define yourself as a 'collector' and a weapon as a 'genuine historical artifact'?

Do I sniff a potential loophole? (Haz? Law question!)
These sort of BS nanny-state laws have been coming in over here for years now.

Jacoby
16-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Reading weird foreign shit makes me happy that I live in a country where no stupid things ever happen.

Katielondon
16-12-2007, 10:39 PM
next things like Kickboxing, Krav Maga etc will be banned, a couple more weeks and its goodbye to the nannying, tax obsessed, over PC, grey cold shithole of a country for me and i cant wait.

hasselbrad
21-12-2007, 01:12 PM
next things like Kickboxing, Krav Maga etc will be banned, a couple more weeks and its goodbye to the nannying, tax obsessed, over PC, grey cold shithole of a country for me and i cant wait.

Just so we're clear...you're saying you don't like living in England?

:p

When's the move?

Katielondon
22-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Just so we're clear...you're saying you don't like living in England?

:p

When's the move?

just after new year, i went tried a shooting range last time i was over there and i actually quite enjoyed it, i might go again when i move, of course over here theres a new bill going through parliment to outlaw metal cutlery they think the limit should be plastic knives and forks that snap in half on impact.