PDA

View Full Version : National character

Surprize
02-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I decided to create this thread because I'm interested in your thoughts about it. Some time ago I used to think that all the people are not different, that it doesn't depend on the country we live. But really: we all have different languages, culture, history, outlooks etc. For example, as I heard, the British are snobbish, arrogant, vain, unfriendly; the American are rude and materialistic; the Ukrainian are good-natured and a bit talkative but timid and shallow (I loathe shallow people).
Of course, we can't judge the person by the nation and country he comes from. It doesn't mean he possess every national quality.
So, what do you think? What other national character did you hear about?

Ranman
02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
The Brits are snobbish, arrogant, vain, unfriendly, so are Americans, but atleast wer'e kool

Leonie
02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
The Dutch are stingy, yet unnervingly friendly.

winnie-c
02-12-2007, 01:18 PM
The Dutch are stingy, yet unnervingly friendly.

i'm dutch :D

Digital_Ice
02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
so is leonie :p

Ranman
02-12-2007, 04:13 PM
i'm dutch :D

I love the Dutch, and the aussie's, and my favorite person is from sweden, so I love them too.

Leonie
02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Germans don't laugh in public, Aussies laugh a lot in public, the French just don't laugh.

Jacoby
02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
White people wear khaki pants and don't like music.
Black people eat watermelons and fried chicken.
Indian people are terrorists.
Chinese people can't talk but are good at math.
Mexican people are lazy and fat.

YAAAAY I've always wanted to make a stereotype thread; I'm glad someone else did.

Ranman
02-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Don't hold back Jake, let them all have it

I hear Germans and French don't bathe on a regular basis.

Leonie
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
No, that's the English, who are afraid of soap.

Ranman
02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
No, that's the English, who are afraid of soap.

Dam those Brits

Hazzle
02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Not so much the English as Northerners Leonie. Don't label us all judging by the inhabitants of a shit hole like Nottingham. That'd be like judging us based on Ice.

We know what soap is. Dental floss, however, seems an alien concept to some Brits.

Digital_Ice
02-12-2007, 11:49 PM
All brits know what soap is.... its just some of us act on that knowledge.

Hazzle
02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Yes. Those who do are called Southerners and those who don't are called Northerners.

Digital_Ice
03-12-2007, 12:15 AM
And midlanders use showergel.

Liam
03-12-2007, 05:17 AM
And all of you are rubbish at cricket and seem to have a masochistic desire for really, really BAD television - I read the beeb has ordered 90 odd episodes of a new neighbours style soap. Sounds ghastly.

In general Australians are good humoured and down to earth, willing to laugh at themselves and keen to take the piss. But we all seem to be fuming racists.

I Luv Keira
03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
White people wear khaki pants and don't like music.
Black people eat watermelons and fried chicken.
Indian people are terrorists.
Chinese people can't talk but are good at math.
Mexican people are lazy and fat.

LMAO! Watermelons! Black people also eat fufu and they smell of cocoa butter all the time!
Indian people are not the terrorists! (lol, only reasons why I replied to say this)
What u talking about, the Chinese dont stop yelling "dvds" at me where I live!
Americans are even lazier....and fatter.

hasselbrad
03-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Americans from most places in what the coastal (New York & Los Angeles) refer as "flyover states" are the nicest people you'll ever meet.
There's an old joke about not being able to walk/jog in a small town because every car that passes will stop and ask you if you are alright/need a ride. We went for a walk this weekend in Alabama, and sure enough, someone pulled over to make sure we hadn't broken down or needed help. If you are broken down on the side of the road, people in New York will drive through a puddle on purpose to splash water on you and people in Los Angeles will shoot at you because you're in their way.
Seriously.
:p
Oh, and loud noises will cause most French people to pick up their napkin and wave it.

michael22
03-12-2007, 01:14 PM
The Scottish being hateful, stingy and drunken.
The Irish being drunken.
Canadians being drunken and cold.
Russians being poor drunken, cold and mean

Leonie
03-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Russians actually not all that mean, or drunk, though they make some mean vodka. Not necessarily poor either, although their idea of what constitutes a place suit for living seems to differ from mine. That said, it appears Northerners and me don't quite agree on that topic either.

Germans are lovely, except when they're in a foreign country. They aren't the most extrovert bunch, but they're pleasant once you do strike up a conversation.

Italians are hot-headed and easily offended, but they gave the world pizza, so it's OK. They will also try to charm the pants off you at all times.

The Spanish are incredibly friendly and helpful, and fantastically relaxed.

Ranman
03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
people in New York will drive through a puddle on purpose to splash water on you

A dam freakin proud of it

Jacoby
04-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Get ya own fahkin caaah, then you won't get none a da wateh on ya. And quit walkin' so close to the fahkin puddles.

Foeni
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Danes are friendly, good humoured and slightly racist.

Digital_Ice
04-12-2007, 11:08 AM
... and mean drunks :p

Surprize
06-12-2007, 04:50 AM
About the Russian - they are mean and sometimes it seems they hate everyone.

Ranman
06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Every country has some mean and hateful people and Good and caring people (except the Brits, they're all cretins). As for me, I am a good and caring American, young and handsome(when i'm not sick) and very good at sex.

Hazzle
06-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Cretins? Bah! We used to own you people. In fact we owned most of the world. It was precisely because we were good and kind that we gave it back.

Ranman
06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
We kicked you pussies arses 200 years ago and we can do it again

Leonie
06-12-2007, 09:16 PM
The Dutch made three big mistakes. Had we not, you would all be speaking Dutch.

1. We exchanged New Amsterdam for Suriname so the English could turn it into New York. We all know how that ended.
2. We didn't claim Australia when we found it (several times, but let's not be pedantic).
3. William III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England) felt the need to fall of his horse and die. Otherwise you would all be OOOOURS.

Bit of a shame.

Hazzle
08-12-2007, 06:16 PM
We kicked you pussies arses 200 years ago and we can do it again

Pffft. We let you believe that. Just like we let you believe you won WWII.

Digital_Ice
09-12-2007, 03:38 AM
actually, it wasn't untill the french got involved with all their european allies that the British were overwealmed, the prime minister resigned, and the new PM (who was a supporter of constitutional rights for colonists, and backed the claim for American independence) made sure the peace treaties were signed... but of course the British are never going to admit that the worlds most powerful empire was beaten by the French. And the americans are never going to admit that the British (excluding Lord North) didn't "loose" the america's but actually supported them getting independance.

Nick
09-12-2007, 09:43 AM
I guess I have to put some input on this seeing as I have done a lot of traveling, although it's mostly in Asia. First off let me clarify, Asian girls don't have sideways vaginas:icon_lol: . Although most Asians are a bit excentric, I only wish I could show you some pictures of the way the Asian guys dress, they all look like fairies (by that I mean they look gay). Seriously in Japan some of the men look more feminine than the women.

South Koreans are all queers, we had some South Korean Marines ride aboard my ship and they walked around holding hands and they would feed eachother at meal times. One time one of our sailors saw two Korean Marines walk out of the same shower stall. It's no wonder all the Asian girls want American boyfriends, or boyfriends from some other Westernized nations, all their own men are fruits.

Anyway, moving along. I have also been to Australia and I have to admit those were probably some of the coolest people I have ever met, not to mention some of the most gorgeous girls probably in the world. The best part was the girls were easy to approach infact some times they would approach us, they're very bold and self confident. Not like American girls at all who are usually totally stuck on themselves and extremely snobby when you try to talk to them.

This is kind of an ironic post considering I'm in the U.S. military and yet I'm the only American on the thread that's bad mouthing my own countrymen. Another thing I noticed in Australia is that they treated our servicemen better than our own countrymen do. In the states there's a lot of places where people will spit on you and call you a baby killer whereas in Australia when we went into pubs we had people buying us rounds of beer when they realized we were American military. Apparently the girls love it when we wear our uniforms too, I wish I had known that at the time because I just went out in ordinary civilian clothes. You don't get that in the states much either, atleast not from my part of the country, as snobby as the girls already are they're even snobbier to men in uniform.

So all in all I'm not even going to try and defend the way my fellow Americans act because it's true, most Americans are loud, abnoxious, and rude. I'm not saying they're all like that, just most of them. The funny thing is I didn't really feel this way until I joined the military and came back home for the first time to recieve nothing but scorn and hatred from my own countrymen.

Well that's enough ranting for today.

Digital_Ice
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm in the U.S. military and yet I'm the only American on the thread that's bad mouthing my own countrymen.

We brits like you.

Hazzle
09-12-2007, 09:25 PM
What Ice said. Both times. There's someone who knows his history. Unlike Ran.

hasselbrad
10-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Oh...and the English think they're a major footballing nation, though except for the 1966 World Cup, they've been shit.

Hazzle
11-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Tell me about it. I'm sick of people going on about how England are a major footballing nation and comparing us to the likes of Germany, Italy or even France. It's embarrassing. We're shit, we've been shit ever since football became more technical and less physical.

This has NOTHING to do with foreigners (there were few foreign players between 1966 and 1996 and no England trophies) and everything to do with the quality of coaching where physical attributes like stamina and workrate are praised more than technical ones. We'll never produce a Messi.

Katielondon
16-12-2007, 10:43 PM
so as a 1/2 English, 1/2 American your saying im snobbish,arrogant,vain,unfriendly and rude and materialistic to boot?:D

Katielondon
16-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Russians actually not all that mean, or drunk, though they make some mean vodka. Not necessarily poor either, although their idea of what constitutes a place suit for living seems to differ from mine. That said, it appears Northerners and me don't quite agree on that topic either.

as someone who enjoys vodka its my opinion that the best vodka ive had is French in the form of Grey Goose or Polish in the form of Snow Leopard, i agree with you about Russians not being mean though, ive known some that are very friendly and fun not to mention stunning.

hasselbrad
15-04-2008, 02:31 PM
so as a 1/2 English, 1/2 American your saying im snobbish,arrogant,vain,unfriendly and rude and materialistic to boot?:D

That... and you don't use soap or dental floss.

Joly
18-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Americans are fat and lazy.
Canadians are pretty cool.
Brits have a weird sense of humour and are rubbish at sport.
The Dutch are clever.
The Germans have awful taste in food, no sense of humour, but care about the environment. Oh, and they're not very good at wars.
French are romantic ponces. But have pretty women.
Greeks are friendly. Well they were to my family anyway.
Aussies: From what I've heard, anybody who visits Australia doesn't want to come back. So Australians must be pretty awesome.
Spaniards all look the same.
Italians like pizza, pasta and mafia.
Chinese people don't know when to stop reproducing. But should do considering they're good at maths.
Japanese people like robots and pokemon.
The Irish are drunk religious madmen.
Scandinavians are clever, have strange languages and stay out of everyone's way.

On the whole, white men can't jump, black men can't swim and everyone's scared of Asians.

I am British so it'd be fair to say we're racist too.

eelliiinn
18-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Scandinavians are clever, have strange languages and stay out of everyone's way.

I guess all of that is true, but I don't know about the "strange languages" I don't think they sound so strange, but maybe that's just because I understand them and i speak Swedish every day ;)

andrey92
25-04-2008, 07:20 PM
i think that scandinavian languages are normal, and if you want to hear really strange languages, you need looking to vietnam or some else country in this region. when they speaks, it hears like they sing some song. very funny.

Joly
25-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow, despite my entire post being blatantly racist, ignorant and arrogant, the most controversial point so far is my views on scandinavian languages >:)