PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong

Dyce_Blue
23-07-2004, 06:59 PM
I am American, and over here Lance Armstrong is one of the most popular athletes. While watching the Tour de France on TV, I have noticed a relative disdain for Lance by the French public (especially those who were spitting on him as he passed). What is the general opinion of Mr. Armstrong in Europe? Is there really such a disparity in the foreign attitude towards him?

6 STRAIGHT

Patmol
23-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Lance Armstrong is popular in Europe (I think) but the majority of person don't like his superiority in The Tour de France but me, I very like this athletes.

DragonRat
23-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Nobody really cares much for a dynasty, except for the place where that dynasty originates (that is, the United States). (Same goes for the Lakers, the Celtics, the Niners, Man United, Real Madrid, etc.) But, I think when you have to look at it, Lance Armstrong is probably the most dominant athlete on the Tour de France. He's bound to win for the sixth consecutive time, a record I might add, and he makes no bones about it. He may only a decent cyclist on the straightaway routes, but up the Pyrenees, he beats everyone by lots.

With the talk about his use of drugs in his early days, I'd say that could or could be rubbish. I don't really believe that the drugs could enhance him any more than it could enhance all the other cyclists who were using the drugs. And the thing is, the Tour de France considers it a legal drug to use. So if he used it, I think he was right in taking them. Of course, one would have to think that his championships were tarnished.

In my opinion, drugs or no drugs, if he wins his sixth straight Tour de France, he stands as the greatest cyclist of this generation - perhaps ever.

frodo1511
23-07-2004, 10:55 PM
My opinion: Anyone who can conquer testicular cancer can win at whatever, forever :)

DragonRat
23-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Like Tom Green? I...don't think so.

Renegade
23-07-2004, 11:43 PM

Hahaha. :icon_lol:

Anywho, Lance is no doubt the best cyclist in the history of cycling. He's already broken the record for consecutive wins and at this pace, I think he could end up winning 9 or 10. His victory over cancer makes his accomplishments seem that much better. The guy has the endurance of a machine. It's unbelievable...simply unbelievable.

frodo1511
23-07-2004, 11:54 PM

He wins at being a big, stupid mofo in my book.
what a moron :mad:

Dyce_Blue
24-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Which American athletes are popular in Europe. I know Vince Carter is much more popular in Canada than in the US, because he plays in Toronto. But I'm not really sure which other athletes span the world.

Besides David Beckham, I can't really think of any European athletes who are popular in the US.

alby
24-07-2004, 12:49 AM
I am American, and over here Lance Armstrong is one of the most popular athletes. While watching the Tour de France on TV, I have noticed a relative disdain for Lance by the French public (especially those who were spitting on him as he passed). What is the general opinion of Mr. Armstrong in Europe? Is there really such a disparity in the foreign attitude towards him?

6 STRAIGHT

The French hate Americans and the feeling is mutually reciprocated across the Atlantic. It's just poor sportsmanship on the part of those spitting. I wonder what the French would say if American spectators started spitting on a French athlete playing in a US professional sports league.

Kelsey
24-07-2004, 01:32 AM
The French hate Americans and the feeling is mutually reciprocated across the Atlantic. It's just poor sportsmanship on the part of those spitting. I wonder what the French would say if American spectators started spitting on a French athlete playing in a US professional sports league.

The French don't hate Americans personally. When I was in Europe, the French were *by far* the nicest to us. They just hate our attitudes of superiority. Acting superior is one thing; but Lance Armstrong has proven he is superior (in the world of biking at least). If they can't handle that, and are going to be immature and spit on him as he passes, that's their problem. It's too bad that in today's world people are judged as 'American', or as 'French', or as 'Muslim', rather than 'an amazing athlete' or whatever. Just shows the world's (and certain people's) shallowness.

I wish Lance Armstrong the best of luck in the rest of the race - he's a fantastic biker.

frodo1511
24-07-2004, 01:43 AM
a 4 and a half minute lead as of today, and Paris on Sunday? Who else thinks Lance will win it again this year?
It's in the bag :icon_popc

deviljet88
24-07-2004, 01:52 PM
I thought Lance stated in his first interviews it was the GERMANS who abused him the most, though in later interviews he dropped mentioning the nationality.

Dyce_Blue
03-07-2005, 06:46 AM
A mere 11 months ago, I started this thread.

So let's try it again...

Who here doesn't think that Lance will win his 7th straight Tour de France?

He is currently 2nd, a minute ahead of top rival Ullrich.

7 STRAIGHT

Liam
03-07-2005, 08:44 AM
I couldnt care less. Anyone who wears those fucking lycra pants should be shot.

Jacoby
03-07-2005, 01:21 PM
I couldnt care less. Anyone who wears those fucking lycra pants should be shot.

They're the only pants that don't get in the way when I do my Pilates. :(

Kidding. I didn't know who Lance Armstrong was until I read about the biking. Then memory struck. I guess his story is amazing and such, and best of luck to him. As for the French spitting on him, it's actually a welcoming custom.

frodo1511
03-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I think he can do it. I just hope that this will be his last year, so he can give others a chance at winning.

Dyce_Blue
03-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I think this year is gonna be one of his toughest, because of all the hype around it.

I mean, he has come out and said that this will definitely be his LAST year in the race. To fizzle out now would'nt be the best way to go.

Also, the stigma around lucky number 7. If he does indeed win his 7th straight, that is a good way to go out.

Plus he has made numerous quotes in which he tactfully guarantees victory.

"I do not intend to lose my last tour"

...and such

But I came with the intentions of making a gripping point in order to draw attention, but alas it is early and my wit has not had its wheaties yet.

7 STRAIGHT

frodo1511
04-07-2005, 03:31 AM
He's in 2nd by 2 seconds after Stage 2.

Dyce_Blue
06-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Well he seems to have taken the lead after stage 4...

Kelsey
06-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Why are you so angry Liam?

Anyways...
I haven't been following it lately, but I know on Saturday (or Sunday, or maybe Monday)...the first day I think...he had come in second. Is he still first? I never really cared about Lance Armstrong all that much except respected him for his athletic (and personal) accomplishments. But then I saw him on Oprah, and now I definitely want him to succeed...he seems like a really cool, down to earth, guy.