PDA

View Full Version : Your bronze medal is in the mail...

hasselbrad
09-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Marion Jones is having to give up her gold medals (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071009/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_jones_doping) from the Sydney Olympics. Apparently, they're going to move down the list and award second the gold, third the silver and so on. Problem...those down the list have also been suspended for doping in the meantime, calling into question their legitimacy.
Does it really matter?
Do these allegations (and revelations) affect how you look at the Olympics? Are they forever tainted or do you subscribe to the idea that if you're not cheating, you're not trying?

mongoose
09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Haha. I like the titel.
If no one of those who were on the podium then are able to get the medals, then no one should get it. I don't understand why after 7 years those guys have decided to take har medals away.Thats a shame that even the other have been suspended for doping. That is not something they should do, after discovering the doping later.
I can give you another example with this doping, also in Sydney when a romanian gymnast has lost her gold medals. But they have found her "doped" right after the contest. (even it is not true that those substances have helped her win).
So Sydney was a poor Olympics.

Ranman
09-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Doesn't matter to me. In today's times drugs are a part of life. I don't think they can stop it. There are lots of ex-athletes telling horror stories about what steroids did to them so if any Olympic athletes are stupid enough to use them they deserve what happens to them.

peach
09-10-2007, 07:46 PM
She was? But don't they do doping tests before the big competitions?

hasselbrad
09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
They do, but she was using one of these new designer steroids with a masking agent.

Hazzle
09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Pointless. They'll never stop it. It's almost not worth punishing dopers these days as they're all at it.

duckula
10-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Still worth punishing dopers. Even if the majority get away with it doesn't make it any more acceptable. Anyone who does get found gets banned for life. Simple as. That probably will still not be an effective detterent but I don't think this is a case aided by admitting defeat.

Hazzle
10-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Didn't say it was acceptable. I don't think it's acceptable, however, to punish some people for not using clever enough techniques to dope (and being caught) and let others get away with it because they have a better chemist. Either we get better at catching people or admit defeat.

duckula
10-10-2007, 12:46 AM
I agree that more needs to be done but it is a perverse logic that justifies letting someone get away with cheating because someone else may be cheating better.

Hazzle
10-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I agree that more needs to be done but it is a perverse logic that justifies letting someone get away with cheating because someone else may be cheating better.

Not sure that's any more perverse than punishing a cheat because they cheated worse. If anything that doesn't deter cheating but actually incentivises being better at it.

hasselbrad
10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Perhaps they could set up Olympics specifically for the dopers so we can see:

Which performance enhancing drugs are the best.
Just how far the human body can be pushed by science.
How close a woman can get to being a man, whilst still possessing a vagina.

Hazzle
11-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Now you're talking...

Leonie
11-10-2007, 11:45 AM
I reckon they should just award the gold medal to whoever comes fourth from now on. They are most likely to be the rightful, doping-free winner of the show.

Hazzle
11-10-2007, 11:49 AM
There's no such thing as a dope-free athlete these days. Except maybe the one who comes in last.