PDA

View Full Version : Penalties for traffic offenders.

Foeni
19-09-2007, 01:39 AM
As so often before when I create threads, I pick a subject that I've seen discussed in the media. Tonight I saw a story on an evening show about a woman who's brother was killed in the traffic. The man was crossing the street and a taxi was driving in the other side of the road with approximately, if not, more than 100 km/h (62 miles/h) where the limit is 50 km/h (31 miles/h) and trying to avoid a car coming from the side he ends up hitting the man crossing the street. It came to a trial and his penalty was a fine of $1488.93 and a suspended suspension (that sounds weird, can you say that?) of his driver's license for 3 years. He also had to pay the costs of the trial.
Personally I think that's riddicolous. If that ain't pissing on the victim's relatives I don't know what is. Not to mention that he could walk out of court and still drive legally. I think his willingness to put people's life at stake by driving twice the allowed speed should be awarded with never being allowed to drive a car again.

And now for the discussion part of this thread. How hard does your country punish traffic offenders and what do you think is fair?

Renegade
19-09-2007, 03:49 AM
Did the guy crossing just suddenly appear out of nowhere? That's hard to believe that the driver didn't get convicted of running the poor guy over.

Foeni
19-09-2007, 05:26 AM
Nope, he didn't just suddenly appear. He was crossing the street and to avoid hitting a car entering the road from a side street, the taxi driver ended up in the wrong side of the road. I'm not sure what he was charged with.. What would he be facing if it had happened in the US, you think? In Denmark, having killed that man propably wouldn't even send the main behind bars.

Renegade
19-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Jail time. For how long, I wouldn't know.

Digital_Ice
19-09-2007, 09:45 AM
In the UK you'd surely get a unlawful act manslaughter charge... or a death by dangerous driving/Motor manslaughter charge, which is highly likely to get jail time and a suspended licence.

hasselbrad
19-09-2007, 12:54 PM
How hard does your country punish traffic offenders and what do you think is fair?

Depends how good your lawyer is.

DanMan
19-09-2007, 10:11 PM
With the driver's willfull recklessness, I would suspect he would get
about 15 years for manslaughter in the US which would be in reality
closer to 7 years for good behavior.
Be nice and do exactly what bubba wants....squeal now squeal like
a pig...thats it.:icon_err: