PDA

View Full Version : Whats in a name

Ranman
08-09-2007, 08:48 PM
I was just thinking if I ever had a kid what would be some cool names. Also what are not so cool names. I believe its all in a name. With a cool name life goes easier for you and not so cool names, well I'm sure you all know what I mean. So here are some of my choices for names, cool and not so cool.

Nick is always the cool dude
Derek has a great band named after him
Crystal, never new an ugly girl with that name
Faith, I think thats a great name

Kyle, is the kid who was fed his eraser in school
Engelbert, absolutely the gayest name ever
Zooey, Your child would probably kill you when they get old enough
Eleanor is the fat girl no one talks too

What are some of your fav's and hated names?

Mandy
08-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Crystal, never new an ugly girl with that name

The ugliest girl in my high school that I can think of was named Crystal.

I'm most likely naming my son Julian and my daughter Eve or Ava. Looove those names. I hate the name Chester and all the nicknames for the name "Charles."

I also hate the name Ashley, because every fucking girl you meet has it.

Porcelain_Doll
08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
meh, can't relate much, since what I'll name my kids will most likely be more spanish-related, although who knows.

Between "spanish" names, I'd choose Abril (April...duh) and Azul. Abril sounds amazing both in English and Spanish, and I just like Azul so much! :D
For a boy, I like Gabriel...though I might have a little trouble with that, seeing as my cousin's name is Gabriel and among Jews it's not right to name your kids the same as living relatives. No clue why. Do you just have to wait for them to die?! jeez...*dials Rabbi*

In English, I'm mad about Charlotte. I just love it.

spanish names I despise would be Lucía, María, Sofía, Florencia and the likes...everybody's called that way.

Jacoby
09-09-2007, 01:51 AM
I figure it'll be a collaboration between my wife and I, or girlfriend and I, but there are some names I like.

If I have a boy I'm definitely gonna suggest Lincoln Avery DiLucia. Several reasons for this. Lincoln's not too common of a name, and I think it's cool and sounds good with "DiLucia" (which is pronounced Duh-Lu-Sha, by the way). His initials will be LAD. He'll be a sweet lad. And with Lincoln as a first name, I can call him Linc as a nickname. (<3 Zelda)

Girls name's I'm not too sure on. If I have a girl I'd leave the name choosing for my girl...and I'd just have to agree with what she chooses.

I think I would suggest more uncommon names.

Iris, maybe, but I don't know how well that would be for the girl's whole life.
Leslie is a cool name. Mainly because I'm in love with Leslie Feist right now.

runangl
09-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Engelbert, absolutely the gayest name ever

Naw i know a kid named Gaylord. i'm not even joking. That's really his name.

Pygmalion
09-09-2007, 01:49 PM
For a boy, I like Gabriel...though I might have a little trouble with that, seeing as my cousin's name is Gabriel and among Jews it's not right to name your kids the same as living relatives.

I know a girl called Sara who decided she was a boy and changed his name to Gabriel. Gabe's the most amazing person I've ever met so thats what I'd call one of my kids too.

I don't like those weirdly spelled white trash names like Skye, Tayluh, Rakisha...things like that.

hasselbrad
10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't like those weirdly spelled white trash names like Skye, Tayluh, Rakisha...things like that.

I worked with a girl whose given name was Heaven Ly.
:dontknowa
As far as I'm concerned, any parent who gives their kid some fucked up spelling of an otherwise common name, should automatically relinquish all parental custody.

Porcelain_Doll
11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
There was something in the paper yesterday about parents insisting on odd (usually ridiculous) names for their kids.

Of course, I can't find the stupid article, so when (and if) I do, I'll quote it....some names were Roobeeerto, Horizontia, Tatiyana, USA (yes...)

Stupid Murphy's Law...where is that article...

hasselbrad
11-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Being in a rural area can spawn some doozies. My grandfather was named Harl Veston. His younger brothers were Carl Heston, Bennice Roper and Excell. His younger sisters were Esther Mae and Effie Rae.
My dad's given name is Robby Wayne. Not Robert. He had a brother who died of pneumonia in infancy whose name was Ronald Bing, and yes, he was named for Bing Crosby.
His older brother is named Billy James, which isn't so bad when you consider we had a salesman who was born in south Georgia. His given name was Billy Fred. Not William Frederick...Billy Fred.

Pygmalion
12-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Horizontia,

Thats hilarious! I may call one of my children Horizontia purely for the comic value.

elizabethbennet1
12-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Thats hilarious! I may call one of my children Horizontia purely for the comic value.
i like names; nadia, elizabeth, susan. lucy

Ranman
12-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Remind me to never ask any of you for help with names

mehrdad368
12-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I love Orchid,anita,and MEHRDAD;)
I hate American names.:icon_eplu
Ran,Never ask any of us for help with names.(I remind you.)

Ranman
13-09-2007, 02:04 AM
I love Orchid,anita,and MEHRDAD;)

Man you have lousy choices for names. And don't be cruel, No meathead jr

Pygmalion
13-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Remind me to never ask any of you for help with names

Ummm I'm not entirely sure why you'd be consulting the KKW when naimg your children anyway.

I like the name Isadora for a girly, thats the name of Bjork's daughter incidentially.

Ranman
13-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Ummm I'm not entirely sure why you'd be consulting the KKW when naimg your children anyway.

People here talk about being screenwriters and other stuff. I thought they might be creative. Guess I'll think again in the future. As for naming my kids i'm going with numbers. one, two, four, six, nine

Porcelain_Doll
13-09-2007, 06:43 PM
As for naming my kids i'm going with numbers. one, two, four, six, nine

Isn't that how the big guy in King Arthur named his "little bastards"?
I recall he was also the one with the "baby's arm holding an apple". :icon_lol:

Ranman
14-09-2007, 12:14 AM
notice how I skipped 3, 5, 7, 8,that'll keep people wondering for years

Surprize
30-04-2008, 12:42 PM
I know, I know, that this thread is old
Tatiyana
This name is very common and wide-spread in Ukraine/ Russia. Of course, I can imagine how weird it sounds to you, as well as my real name.