PDA

View Full Version : Atonement looking better and better....

kingdumbass
20-08-2007, 06:28 AM
As more people see it, the positive buzz grows....
This film is looking like a winner.

Here are some reactions to an early screening held in the UK this weekend:
http://forums.awardsdaily.com/showthread.php?p=108685#post108685

Also check out Atonement's IMDB message board for more favorable impressions.

Will we see Ms. Knightley at the Oscars again this year? I'll bet we do...along with James McAvoy (who I think is GREAT -- see Becoming Jane), and hopefully Joe Wright.

This is much better than that Pirate business.

hasselbrad
20-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I can't believe we have to wait until December 7th to see this. It really does look like the film (and Keira) are absolute favorites for Oscar nominations, and perhaps even some wins. It would be nice to see her win an Oscar just to shut up all of the priggish fucktards who have to carp about how she can't act at every turn. Once you've got one of those little gold statues, those arguments simply don't hold water.

michael22
20-08-2007, 08:14 PM
This deffinetly looks like an nomination. Brad on what you said about the statue meaning your are a superb actor I refer you to crapwoman.

Porcelain_Doll
20-08-2007, 08:14 PM
hehe, you complain you won't get to see the movie till December? I'm still wondering if they'll every show the preview here.

Like I said, if it doesn't premiere here, Ice'd better have that couch ready for me, 'cause I'm so not missing that movie.

Monika K.
21-08-2007, 08:32 AM
It deserves oscar with certitude Atonement. Movie will be in poland in february 2008 only :(

Keira'sChampion
21-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I live in a city of 200,000 in West Texas. We have a major university and 34 movie screens. And yet we didn't get "Death at a Funeral," which opened nationwide this weekend. Geez I hate this town! If on Dec.7th "Atonement" doesn't open here, I'm flying to the nearest major city to see it. We did finally get "Becoming Jane" but I'm not waiting for "Atonement!"

Monika K.
23-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I can't wait for 'Atonement'. Perhaps, I will fly on premiere for London ;-)

hasselbrad
30-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Their words...not mine. Read all about it. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070830/film_nm/film_atonement_dc)

maddiebabe91
08-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I can't believe we have to wait until December 7th to see this. It really does look like the film (and Keira) are absolute favorites for Oscar nominations, and perhaps even some wins. It would be nice to see her win an Oscar just to shut up all of the priggish fucktards who have to carp about how she can't act at every turn. Once you've got one of those little gold statues, those arguments simply don't hold water.

hey dont complain, here in australia we have to wait unitll december the 26th :(

Porcelain_Doll
08-09-2007, 09:54 PM
...here in the Lost World we haven't even seen the preview when we go to the movies. I mean, not even a whisper about it on the "showbiz" section of the papers...all you get while you're waiting for the movie to start are crappy synopsis of "Disturbia" and the likes. Fuck, we're delayed :(

KorrKeira
29-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh i forget you guys in the states or wherever wont have seen it yet. And i do n'alf feel it for ya'z, becuase its FANTASTIC, thats all im saying!

I read the book in 2 days (finished it last night) and i cant stop thinking about it!

Im counting down the days til the dvd!

kingdumbass
30-10-2007, 04:03 AM
I saw Dan in Real Life over the weekend, and they showed a huge Atonement trailer before the feature....
Looks like Focus Features is hoping to keep the film from losing Oscar steam by releasing it as close to December as possible. A smart move.

Monika K.
31-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Anybody know when will be release on DVD?

KorrKeira
31-10-2007, 02:44 PM
In England, i think in about a month-2 months. (Oct-Nov) Hopefully! :D <3

jean
01-11-2007, 09:36 AM
James McAvoy is awesome. I can't wait for it to come out. But I'll have to wait till January coz that's when it's coming out where I live. I'll probably run out and get the book first.

Anduril
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Saturday I'll watch atonement in the cinema! :D I really think it'll be a great and lovely movie! :) I'm reading the book now and I can't wait to see the film!:)
A movie with James and Keira has to be awesome! They are both wonderful actors!<3

kingdumbass
02-11-2007, 01:19 AM
I've got high hopes for James MacAvoy....
I hope he goes far.

seventhson
09-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Oh i forget you guys in the states or wherever wont have seen it yet. And i do n'alf feel it for ya'z, becuase its FANTASTIC, thats all im saying!

Im counting down the days til the dvd!

Yes, I'm waiting for release at nearest theater in SE Texas on December 7, only four weeks to wait. Y'all probably seen all the links like this:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809714841/info

Sorry I'm kinda slow/behind the times down here.

Peace be with you,

neo
11-11-2007, 05:49 PM
i live in texas too and can not wait for it! the rest of the world gets to see it before we do, not fair.

DizzyMissLizzie
11-11-2007, 11:42 PM
...OMG...I bloody haven't seen it yet but from whot I have and from the book...I cryed for the frailer for God's sakes!!!! I also raed the book in two days in a row...you just can't stop reading it! Now it is my all time favorite...have read other Ian McEwan's books but this is definitely the top stuff! From the reviews and posted clips (I'm tryig to avoid them really...you know to keep the surprise for teh film...not very succesfully still...$)) I have very high hopes for James McAvoy...who is just adorable...and I could easely let him real all the phone book just for me...I just melt in that Scottish accent...angain Joe Wright made a brilliant adaption of a wonderful novel...hopefully those academy bastards will aprove!!! :D

Monika K.
12-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Where are you from, Dizzy? I must wait for Atonement, but I can't :-(
The book was very interesting :-)

DizzyMissLizzie
12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I've seen you around Monika haven't I? At faiding Atonement and somewhere else I think...you're from Poland right? ;)

Monika K.
13-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes, I'm from Poland. And you?
I can't wait.

DizzyMissLizzie
13-11-2007, 07:57 PM
...well my personal info you can find at the introductions ;):)

Monika K.
14-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I found info yesterday ;-)

carmen944
08-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Oh, I can't wait to see it! But I'm from Estonia and I don't know when it's coming to our cinemas ...

Digital_Ice
08-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Oh, I can't wait to see it! But I'm from Estonia and I don't know when it's coming to our cinemas ...

11 January 2008

kingdumbass
16-12-2007, 03:20 AM
I saw it today....
Only one damn theater in the Detroit area was playing it, so I had to drive a bit, but much better than the time I drove all the way to Chicago to see Silk.

Anyway, the movie was very good, but it didn't blow me away like I thought it would. The first act dragged on too long -- every shot was twice as lingering as it needed to be; every pan was twice as slow as it should have been. I was starting to dislike the film, but then it picked up by the Dunkirk scenes, and the third act, featuring the 18 year-old Briony, was beautiful. The girl who played the 18 year-old Briony, by the way, was excellent. If anyone deserves an Oscar nod for a performance in this film, it's her. Keira was the best I've ever seen her, as well. It was sexy seeing her be a bit of a bitch, and I think that type of character suited her perfectly.

The movie would have been one of my favorites of the year had the first third been shortened, and more focus placed on Robbie's experience in France. The drama of the third act would have been more powerful, had there been more emphasis on the love between Cee and Robbie.

I'll have to see the film again, as the most emotional parts were ruined for me by some guy sitting an aisle over who wouldn't stop making comments to his companion, and rattling around a paper bag quite loudly. All the noise this man was making REALLY got under my skin by the end of the film, and I finally leaned over and hissed "Shut the fuck UP!" at him. My Mother, who was with me, snapped at me to settle down, and after the film, she told me the man I swore at was mentally handicapped. OK, fine -- so I'm an asshole; but how was I supposed to know? And who the hell brings a retarded guy to a slow-paced and complicated foreign drama?

I told my mom that if I ever end up mentally disabled in some way -- whether it be through a health problem or an accident -- to never take me out in public like that. "I don't ever want you using me to make a statement", I told her. "If I wind up like that, just hand me the TV remote and a bowl of ice cream, and KEEP ME IN THE FUCKING HOUSE."

hasselbrad
20-12-2007, 02:51 PM
No Screen Actors Guild nomination for Miss Knightley.

seventhson
02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I was snooping around at movie theater site about Atonement and found this page:

http://www.fandango.com/keiraknightley/filmography/p339282

I wasn't sure where to post this as I've been AWOL for a while, missing KKW

Hope you can dig it. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Peace +Love to y'all,

beckhamgod
06-01-2008, 06:03 AM
a bloody good movie kiera is hot oww!

hasselbrad
07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Dumbass...I disagree a bit with you.
I felt like the film dwelled too much in Dunkirk, and this is coming from someone who is;

a World War Two buff
writing a screenplay based on a tank crewman who is stranded in Holland after Market Garden
writing another screenplay about an American pilot, a British nurse and their profound losses during the war

The whole "three guys wandering" thing was a bit jarring for me. I would have liked to have seen that handled a bit differently.

Leonie
07-01-2008, 02:01 PM
From what I remember of the novel, the three guys wandering part was very introspective. I haven't seen the film yet, but I sorta see how that bit might be hard to translate to the screen.

hasselbrad
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
From what I remember of the novel, the three guys wandering part was very introspective. I haven't seen the film yet, but I sorta see how that bit might be hard to translate to the screen.

Yeah...erm...I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who hasn't read the novel, and from what I understand, it's a very faithful representation.
:D
I'd like to read it, though.

Leonie
07-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I was agreeing with you :)

I can very well picture that part being boring on the screen - it is interesting enough in the book, but only because there is a lot of internal stuff going on. In addition, McEwan really gets into the description of the horror these guys encounter, whereas in the movie, one image would be sufficient. If the segment is as long as it was in the book, proportionally, it might be a bit too much.

hasselbrad
07-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I was agreeing with you :)
I know...the "erm" was because you made me realize that since it was in the novel that way, and the fact that the film is so faithful to the book, it would have not been able to really been changed.
It did drag a bit, though.

kingdumbass
08-01-2008, 04:47 AM

That's correct....
It would have been very difficult to translate that part of the book to film.

Nevertheless, it was essential (at least in the book) for making us care about Robbie and Cee.

I dunno. Like I said before, my entire experience in seeing this film was tainted by the noisy-ass guy sitting near me, and the poor sound and picture quality of the theater.

seventhson
14-01-2008, 03:36 AM
Breaking news: I just saw Atonement was awarded Best Drama movie at Golden Globes!
I was so lucky to get to see the picture last week!
Congrats to Keira!

Peace,

I Luv Keira
14-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Woo-hoo! The British dominated the the Globes (who cares if its the GG, the yanks didn't win it!) take that u fukin american twats!

Keira lover
16-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Woo-hoo! The British dominated the the Globes (who cares if its the GG, the yanks didn't win it!) take that u fukin american twats!

And i thought we were the Americans and Brits were cousins?

Anyway, no place around me is playing Atonement,:'(

I Luv Keira
16-01-2008, 11:25 AM
And i thought we were the Americans and Brits were cousins?:'(

Eah heem! Thats Canada, I like Canada. (Or are they ur little brother) Its the damn American gimps that annoy me!

14 BAFTAS, even though its in its second year, 14 is a damn lot!