PDA

View Full Version : Why So Serious?

frodo1511
27-07-2007, 09:01 PM
First trailer for "The Dark Knight" on youtube. Heath Ledger should make an excellent Joker. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KHQsM8Tbs

http://whysoserious.com/images/theknife.jpg

http://whysoserious.com/casefiles/154tmr8121.jpg

Also, with the currently ongoing San Diego Comic-Con, the website whysoserious.com has been unleashed with various questions to be answered for your enjoyment.

Discuss.

Ranman
27-07-2007, 09:02 PM
So who is this dark knight you mention?

frodo1511
27-07-2007, 09:03 PM
I've forgotten your excellent humor, Ran.

Mandy
27-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Gah! I'm actually really psyched for this movie. My brother and I were talking about it the other day. Cheers for the trailer and pictures.

I'm so glad someone is doing these movies like they should've been done. They really started getting cheesy and taking away the darkness and mystery of what Batman is.

Plus I really like Maggie.

Ranman
27-07-2007, 09:10 PM
I've forgotten your excellent humor, Ran.

Your off topic! :icon_lol:

frodo1511
27-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Kinda bummed no actual footage was shown, but oh well. HD versions of the trailer should come out either today or tomorrow-will post when available.

Mandy
27-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I was a little disappointed that there wasn't footage as well, but the audio was good enough for now.

How excellent is Michael Caine? I couldn't ask for a better Alfred. My brother was telling me that the scarecrow is also returning, and later on they'll be another movie with Two-Face. Not sure if these are just things he's made up or not, haha.

frodo1511
27-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Harvey Dent is supposed to be in the film, played by Aaron Eckhart. Dunno if he makes the transition to Two-Face this time around.

I'm just hoping Heath Ledger plays a good Joker. It'll be hard to compare his and Jack's together, but that spoken sentence gave me chills.

Mandy
27-07-2007, 09:24 PM
If Ledger can pull off a gay cowboy, I'm sure he can pull off a psychotic villain. :icon_lol:

That's right, he did mention Aaron Eckhart. Perhaps something happens at the end of the film to segue to the next?

frodo1511
27-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Hmmm...could be. As long as Clayface stays out of it, I'll be happy.

I don't think TDK is supposed to have a big Q&A tomorrow @ Comic-con, but seeing as how this website was completely off the radar until just today, it's anyone's guess. Keep your eyes and ears open for some extra tid-bits.

Mandy
27-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of Clayface either. I can't even remember how he came to be that way (I was only really into this stuff when I was little).

Besides, there seems to be a lot of similarities to him and the Sandman in Spider-Man. :p

frodo1511
27-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Thomas Haden Church did a phenomenal job as Sandy in 3, but I would have no idea who would do Clayface, if he were to be in it.

I don't want Clayface in Christopher Nolan's Batman series for the same reasons that I don't want the Dinobots in the Transformers sequel-takes the believability and shards of realism out of the flicks.

DragonRat
28-07-2007, 12:18 AM
http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/Heath-Joker.jpg

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/entertainment/2105_joker_sp_lg.jpg

I don't know who decided to add the Glasgow smile/Chelsea grin to Heath Ledger's Joker, but it looks fantastic. Much darker than Nicholson's Joker, because Nicholson's Joker was all about menacing fun. Heath Ledger's Joker, I'm assuming, is just downright psychotic.

And don't discount Ledger: he's a good-looking chap, but he's got acting chops. Nolan's Batman series is going to elevate the cinematic Dark Knight to the status of Batman: the Animated Series, in terms of dramaturgy and effect. Joel Schumacher's Batman... who?

Mandy
28-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Yeah, Nicholson's was just painted on. This one looks more like a scarring or acid burn or some kind of deformity. He's also got those wrinkles in his smile that make it all the better.

Thanks a lot for those pics, DR.

EDIT: I found these from batman-on-film, someone was lurking around on set and took some video of the batpod:

***IT MAY BE SPOILER LIKE***

Bt0ln9Cqi0o

frodo1511
28-07-2007, 01:51 AM
I think that TDK's Joker made the grin himself, probably with a knife. It would easily fit with the whole psychotic/insane description. Here's hoping we actually see it in the film.

DragonRat
28-07-2007, 06:22 AM
I think that TDK's Joker made the grin himself, probably with a knife. It would easily fit with the whole psychotic/insane description. Here's hoping we actually see it in the film.

Hooray for on-screen violence!

I mean, the Joker--and I think I'm not alone on this one--is probably the most well-known villain in the Batman pantheon of perdition. Indeed, I'd say that, simply because of his unpredictability and uncanny sense of how to rile up Batman, he is the nemesis; he is the baddest bad guy against Bats. All the other villains have their definite advantage, but Brucey is smart enough to get into their heads a little, and that gives his human quality enough of an advantage (because in a strange way, Bats can more or less empathize with them, as one who has been thoroughly devastated with loss, though not to the point of insanity and/or crime). The Joker, however, has no mindset; his villainy, in its amorality, is pure. He's the bad seed. He's the Devil without a God to pick a fight with, so he'll might as well pick on anyone... how about Batman?

The Joker is a criminologist's worst nightmare; I bet some criminologists (who probably did grow up reading Batman) have some strange fear for clowns...

Mandy
28-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Ugh, it's too early to get excited about the new one! There's a whole year of waiting and snooping and spoilers and I just don't know if I can do it.
:dontknowa

I keep finding small clips of video from lurkers that hang around the sets trying to get pictures and anything they can on youtube. That will have to keep me sane for now.

(DR I'd just like to say, it's a pleasure to see you posting again.)

frodo1511
28-07-2007, 11:58 AM
I mean, the Joker--and I think I'm not alone on this one--is probably the most well-known villain in the Batman pantheon of perdition. Indeed, I'd say that, simply because of his unpredictability and uncanny sense of how to rile up Batman, he is the nemesis; he is the baddest bad guy against Bats. All the other villains have their definite advantage, but Brucey is smart enough to get into their heads a little, and that gives his human quality enough of an advantage (because in a strange way, Bats can more or less empathize with them, as one who has been thoroughly devastated with loss, though not to the point of insanity and/or crime). The Joker, however, has no mindset; his villainy, in its amorality, is pure. He's the bad seed. He's the Devil without a God to pick a fight with, so he'll might as well pick on anyone... how about Batman?

It would certainly fit with the mood of the trailer, how Alfred goes on to say that some people are not logical, can't be bought or reasoned with, who just want to see the world burn...it'll be awesome to see a Joker who truly can't be talked to. This movie could have some fantastic dialogue in it..

Hazzle
19-09-2007, 10:18 PM
If Ledger can pull off a gay cowboy, I'm sure he can pull off a psychotic villain. :icon_lol:

A man who played a gay cowboy cannot play The Joker. That's just wrong. Can't believe they're even having Joker in this. There was only one Joker, Jack, none shall come close. Never has an actor so OWNED a role like Jack owned that one. Heath Ledger is quite possibly the worst choice they could have made. I'm still fuming about it and suspect it'll ruin the movie for me.

frodo1511
20-09-2007, 12:19 AM
A man who played a gay cowboy cannot play The Joker. That's just wrong. Can't believe they're even having Joker in this. There was only one Joker, Jack, none shall come close. Never has an actor so OWNED a role like Jack owned that one. Heath Ledger is quite possibly the worst choice they could have made. I'm still fuming about it and suspect it'll ruin the movie for me.

First time I heard he was the Joker, I was in the exact same boat you are currently in, Haz. Just like their is only one Wolverine, Gandalf, Optimus Prime (voice-wise), and Maximus, their is only one true Joker-Jack. I'm sure Mr. Ledger will be scrutinized with the most magnificent of microscopes in TDK, and people like you will automatically dismiss him on the spot. However, I'm willing to give him a shot. I will agree that a good Batman movie is only as good as it's villains, but here is the exception where Christian Bale, someone I never really saw playing Batman at all until BB, along with Christopher Nolan will kick Heath's ass in gear for this part.

Jacoby
20-09-2007, 01:13 AM
First of all, Bale can play anyfucking thing ever. They could have cast Bale as a Transformer, and used no CGI and he could have sold it.

Secondly, you guys don't give enough credit to actors. Ledger is a good actor, he'll do it well. Just go in with an open mind, it's a Batman movie after all. If Ledger was playing Ghandi it might be weird, but it's a comic book villain. I think he'll do well.

frodo1511
20-09-2007, 02:23 AM
I think he'll do swell-it's just impossible to not judge his performance against Jack's.

Hazzle
20-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I didn't say Bale or Ledger weren't fine actors. I actually fully expected Bale to be a kickarse Batman because the man just fit the role. That's the thing with cult figures like Batman and the Joker...it is NOT good enough being a good actor, you have to "fit" the role. Hence a shit actor like Jackman (sorry, but the man can't act) could still be a good Wolverine because he just "fit". I just don't see Ledger being able to top Jack, who practically owns the role, whereas I fully could see Bale making a great Batman, and so it proved. My love of the Batman comic books does not allow me to simply have an "open mind", getting Ledger to play Joker is the equivalent in my world of getting Big Bird from Sesame Street to play Jesus. Yes, Batman is more important than the Bible.

Your point about Gandhi vs Joker is condescending, that bit about it being a comic book villain sounds like you're saying "just" a comic book villain. As a comic book geek I assure you comic book villains are not easy to play (when you think a good actor like Tommy Lee Jones sucked at it) and I think it's easier to play a historical figure like Gandhi than a persona like The Joker or Darth Vader.

Jacoby
20-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Your point about Gandhi vs Joker is condescending, that bit about it being a comic book villain sounds like you're saying "just" a comic book villain. As a comic book geek I assure you comic book villains are not easy to play (when you think a good actor like Tommy Lee Jones sucked at it) and I think it's easier to play a historical figure like Gandhi than a persona like The Joker or Darth Vader.

First of all, look how poorly I spelled Gandhi in my first reply, the "h" was like, three places off.

I guess I just see it as not too important because it's a summer movie blockbuster. Which you usually go into expecting not much of. But Batman is a big deal so I'll allow you to care this much about it. Just know that I still think you're a nerd, though.

Hazzle
20-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Everyone spells it incorrectly. I have a slight advantage with being of Indian descent and knowing how transliteration from Indian languages to English often works. I see your point about summer blockbusters, but comic book movies are a niche for me (being a comic book nerd). I actually came out of Spiderman 3 and had a fit, left the cinema screaming loudly "It's not right" and "Spiderman is more important than the Bible". Think I said some of the flaws in the film were the equivalent of having Jesus be gay in The Passion. I got some weird looks. And yes, I am a nerd.

frodo1511
20-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I thought Spidey 3 was a fiasco compared to the second, and best, in the series. Like the third Pirates film, just way too much information and senseless jargon. Don't even get me started on how Venom was anally raped in the film.

Anywho, here's hoping the next trailer for TDK will be before "I Am Legend" this Xmas.

Hazzle
21-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I agree with every word of that. Spidey 3 was a joke, Spidey 2 was brilliant, and Venom...jeez.

frodo1511
21-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, fuck, how about adding other comic book films to this thread?

What's your opinion on the Iron Man trailer, Edward Norton being Bruce Banner/Hulk in the Incredible Hulk film (let's pretend the first one never happened), and how awesome a good JLA/Avengers film could be?

Jacoby
21-09-2007, 04:41 PM
The only comic book movie I'm most concerned about is the Watchmen movie. I can't wait to see what Zack Snyder does with it, even though I'm sure it'll be a let-down compared to the graphic novel. But everything is a let down compared the the Watchmen book because it's the best thing ever.

frodo1511
21-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I never really got into the Watchmen phase personally-I cared more about The Dark Knight Returns and Frank Miller's vision of everything. As the movie gets closer to release, I'll try to dig up a few issues of Watchmen to get myself acquainted with the universe.