PDA

View Full Version : Harmless?

hasselbrad
27-04-2007, 02:36 PM
When I was growing up, parents were apoplectic about rap lyrics. Of course, back then, the evil-doers were 2 Live Crew and their lyrics were pretty much restricted to sex. And I, like most other teenagers, thought it was ridiculous to think that these lyrics had any real effect on our sexual lives.
My, how times have changed.
Stop snitchin'. (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/19/60minutes/main2704565.shtml)
For those of you too lazy to read, the rapper Cam'ron (or Killa Cam) talks about his reasoning behind refusing to cooperate with police in violent crime investigations...even when he was shot during a carjacking. The main reason, according to him, is to protect his street cred. Apparently, he's even taken swipes vocally at 50 Cent for cooperating with a police investigation. The article chronicles several unsolved murders, including those of Tupac and Biggie. I find these two to be particularly interesting, since there was so much furor from the black community over why they aren't solved, yet if you read what the teenagers that are interviewed say, you can see why. They completely buy into the notion being promoted by rappers that cooperating with the police in any way makes you a 'snitch'. Furthermore, anyone who does 'snitch' isn't really 'black' and can't be trusted.
So, I guess what I'm getting at here is whether or not you think these lyrics are harmless or whether they have crossed a line.
Discuss, or I'll send my homies to pop caps in your asses.
:p

Jacoby
27-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Rapper "Vanilla's Ice" told me not to participate with this thread.

ste_iz_ere
27-04-2007, 10:25 PM
good on him for takin a dig at 50 cent he is a fag n the reason tupacs murder was not solved is because he is not dead and some day he will return .:icon_surp

Jacoby
28-04-2007, 04:26 PM
good on him for takin a dig at 50 cent he is a fag n the reason tupacs murder was not solved is because he is not dead and some day he will return .:icon_surp

True, let's look at the hard facts on this situation.

1) Tupac was in a movie that came out AFTER his death. We all know motion pictures are usually improved and come out days after they're filmed, often on the same day.

2) No need for Fact #2 because #1 is so strong, also, couldn't think of another one.

Actually, all sarcasm aside I'd like to hear the reasoning behind how Tupac lives.

On topic, and to answer brad's question that no one has yet, I think rap lyrics are definitely dangerous. It's so ridiculous though because rap and hip hop is taken more as a lifestyle than an artistic outlet. The listeners really take it to heart (I'm generalizing here, of course.) I mean I live next to a kid I grew up with who's black and is now about 14 or 15. I was just talking to him yesterday and I couldn't believe how influenced he's become by the whole act and all the music.
There was a murder in our city recentely. A kid, about 17 was moved out of the ghetto to attend the high school I went to, which is much less ghetto. And he dropped out of a gang he was in at the city, apparentely. When he was back visiting his family, two of his closest friends from that gang SHOT HIM IN THE FUCKING HEAD. How fucking ridiculous is that? I mean, these are kids. Where do you think they get the idea for all this shit? I guess they got him "cus he dropped out the game" and they yelled their gang code to his dead body after they shot him. I just hate how this lifestyle is growing so much faster than it's declining.
I want to live in an interesting city. But the looks of it, I might have to move to Wisconsin eventually, just to be at ease.

mongoose
30-04-2007, 09:18 AM
To be on topic about this thread I talk about rappers.
I don't know how many of you saw Chris Rock's show when he was talking about those dead rappers. Even he was saying rough words, he was right.
So if you havn't seen the show , he talks about the goverment. He says that every time a rapper has died the goverment did nothing. They didn't searched for clues or criminals. Every time if a black people died and he had a rap music casset near him, the police didn't even bothered to investigate the crime.
And I think it used to be like this. I don't know how it's now.

hasselbrad
30-04-2007, 06:01 PM
To be on topic about this thread I talk about rappers.
I don't know how many of you saw Chris Rock's show when he was talking about those dead rappers. Even he was saying rough words, he was right.
So if you havn't seen the show , he talks about the goverment. He says that every time a rapper has died the goverment did nothing. They didn't searched for clues or criminals. Every time if a black people died and he had a rap music casset near him, the police didn't even bothered to investigate the crime.
And I think it used to be like this. I don't know how it's now.

Did you read the article?
Chris Rock can complain about the government 'til he turns WHITE in the face, but if people in the community refuse to cooperate the police, how can they reasonably expect the police to solve anything?
Busta Rhymes' bodyguard is shot in front of several witnesses, yet no one comes forward to assist the police investigation? How is that the police's fault? Eye witness accounts are often the most important part of an investigation. If people refuse to talk to police, there's nothing the police can really do.

Pygmalion
01-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Well I was watching late night Musicmax clips and there was one by famous SVU and Tank Girl star Ice T, where he's rapping about how bad joining a gang is.
As for the cop thing, as Hassel said there's not much they can do if nobody comes forward, you have to wonder why so many rappers get shot anyway...