PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies

michael22
27-04-2007, 02:38 AM
It is that time of year again, what summer movies are you excited about? I will probably spend more money than I can afford on this line-up.

Live Free or Die Hard
28 weeks Later
POTC3 (Obviously)
Fido
Skin Walkers
The Simpsons
Last Legion
Dead or Alive (everyone needs a guilty pleasure)
[I would have used the old thread but the poll was to outdated (I would have made a poll for this but there are too many damn options)]

Jacoby
27-04-2007, 02:44 AM
I just bought 28 Days Later yesterday because it's an awesome film and a great horror movie. But I doubt 28 Weeks later will be the same.

I'm looking forward to Sunshine. Does it come out in the summer? I hope so.
I want to see Spidey, also. And POTC3, but I should probably watch 2 already.

I suck so bad. I post on a Keira forum, and I work at a video store...but I still haven't seen Dead Man's Chest.

Pygmalion
27-04-2007, 05:17 AM
I'm waiting for THE GRINDHOUSE movies to come out. When my friend and I saw the preview before 300 I practically swooned.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/aristogeiton/Rose.jpg
Zombies? Strippers? Rober Rodriguez directing? A machine gun for a leg? Yes please!

Kelsey
27-04-2007, 05:24 AM
I guess....POTC...for the first time, like, ever, I have no idea what's coming out this summer.

Ranman
27-04-2007, 05:43 AM
spidey 3 will rock
so will POTC 3
28 weeks later may not do so well
Resident evil 4 (another zombie flick) eh? who knows
I hope I am legend makes it out for this summer

Katielondon
27-04-2007, 11:00 AM
no ones mentioned it yet and i know i need to grow up but im looking forward to the new Harry Potter film.

Porcelain_Doll
27-04-2007, 03:10 PM
meh, it's autumn here...winter's about to start.
But I want to see Spidey 3 (got a soft spot for Tobey Maguire's baby blues), POTC3 (got a soft spot for anything Johnny Depp) and whatever looks interesting.

Oh, and, I'd rather have my leg humped by Ran than watching the Simpsons or Grindhouse. Yawn and Ew.

Jacoby
27-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Oh, and, I'd rather have my leg humped by Ran than watching the Simpsons or Grindhouse. Yawn and Ew.

I suggest getting your leg humped while watching Grindhouse. Really adds to the experience of the movies.

And actually, I do want to see the Simpson's movie though I'm not expecting much.

Ranman
27-04-2007, 11:32 PM

It can be arranged

Porcelain_Doll
28-04-2007, 02:11 PM
It can be arranged

But Haz would be jealous.

Anyway, I'm pissed 'cause I'm trying to find a decent hour to go and see "Perfume: the Story of a Murderer". Apparently the only available hour is at midnight. Tsk.

Read the book while I was in Brazil, then lent it to my sister and now we both wanna watch Rachel Hurd-Wood being murdered.

Hazzle
29-04-2007, 06:16 PM
But Haz would be jealous.

No, I wouldn't. In fact it would confirm my theory that you're a munter because you'd have to look like a man for Ran to be keen ;)

On topic: Must. See. Spidey. I'm incredibly excited.

Almost as excited as Ranman got with his Playgirl subscription.

Porcelain_Doll
29-04-2007, 07:56 PM
No, I wouldn't. In fact it would confirm my theory that you're a munter because you'd have to look like a man for Ran to be keen ;)

I'm letting you off the hook for this one 'cause you made fun of Ran.

Next time you piss me off, I'll perform banana voodoo on you.

And it ain't pretty.

Marinette
29-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Spidey's out on tuesday here !!!:) i'm so glad but it must be an international release since the films are usually out on wednesday's here !!

Myself i'm waiting for Potc , Harry potter as i' don't what will be out this summer in that hole that i call my country !!

Jacoby
29-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Spidey's out on tuesday here !!!:) i'm so glad but it must be an international release since the films are usually out on wednesday's here !!

I think it releases on May something here in the U.S. May 11th, perhaps. I wish it was Tuesday, that would be awesome.

Marinette
29-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Wow I'm dreaming right , here in France we have something before the US !!!

That's rare we are usually a month or two behind !!:icon_surp

Pygmalion
29-04-2007, 10:44 PM
We probably won't get it til next year sometime then.

Hazzle
30-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Coming out this weekend here. Still undecided whether to be a good guy, and wait for my sister to get a break in her exam schedule so we can both see it (she's dying to see it too) or be a cunt and go and see it myself first, then go with her. She did that to me with POTC (the first one)...hmmm...revenge?

Marinette
01-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Well people just went to see Spidey 3 !!! And it was awesome I highly recommend it !! In my opinion the best of the 3!!
I laugh , i cried ( which is rare ) !!! great film !!!:)

And i' m adding Shrek the third to my must see summer movies list !!

Keirascabbie
02-05-2007, 02:08 AM
I can't wait to see Spiderman 3

Hazzle
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm torn between going to see it with an open mind or just hating it as a matter of principle. I know for a fact they've made one pretty serious departure from the comics, the first really massive one (I never really found the whole organic instead of man-made webshooters to be that big a deal). Don't want to spoil it for those who don't know but it'll sour my enjoyment, I can just tell.

The film I'm most worried about, though, is 28 Weeks Later. The original was an indie classic, and contrary to popular belief, wasn't a zombie movie. The zombie element was really just a metaphor used as a clever tool for a social commentary. Which is what made that such a great movie. However 28 Weeks Later looks like yet another Hollywood-ised zombie movie. Borrring.

Jacoby
03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
The film I'm most worried about, though, is 28 Weeks Later. The original was an indie classic, and contrary to popular belief, wasn't a zombie movie. The zombie element was really just a metaphor used as a clever tool for a social commentary. Which is what made that such a great movie. However 28 Weeks Later looks like yet another Hollywood-ised zombie movie. Borrring.

Zombie films are almost always social commentary, though. And I always just refer to 28 Days Later as a zombie movie because, essentially, it is. Sure they're not undead, but they're zombie-like enough for me to describe it to people that way.

And yeah, 28 Weeks Later looks like poo.

I am going to see Spider Man tomorrow, which looks like pee. Just kidding, it should be awesome. And yeah, it came out sooner than I expected.

hasselbrad
03-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I had to look up The Last Legion on IMDB.
Now I've got a movie stiffy.
I heart history.
Though I would like to see a film where the Romans aren't all gangly Brits.

Marinette
03-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Well most of the roman legions were made of people from regions quite far away from many were saxons or from other easten populations!!

Because it will quite funny to have people looking like real romans knowing that they were really small and stocky and not the best fighters !!!

Forgave me I live in a place were roman ruins are my daily life and I spent all my childhood learning stuff about them .

hasselbrad
03-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Well most of the roman legions were made of people from regions quite far away from many were saxons or from other easten populations!!

Because it will quite funny to have people looking like real romans knowing that they were really small and stocky and not the best fighters !!!

Forgave me I live in a place were roman ruins are my daily life and I spent all my childhood learning stuff about them .

True.
I'm just afraid that most Americans think that the Romans and Greeks all had English accents because of the movies.
;)
I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard a thick Scottish brogue in Troy and Alexander. Whereabouts in France do you live?

Porcelain_Doll
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Whereabouts in France do you live?

Stalker alert!
Just kidding. He just wants to steal your great cuisine.

Was Spidey 3 good? I think I'll go. And Shrek 3....I love that donkey, he's so hot.

hasselbrad
04-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Stalker alert!
Just kidding. He just wants to steal your great cuisine.

Was Spidey 3 good? I think I'll go. And Shrek 3....I love that donkey, he's so hot.

As dorky as it sounds, I'm really more interested in what Roman sites are nearby.

Pygmalion
04-05-2007, 03:00 AM
High five for history geeks. I can't help myself where they're concerned.

kingdumbass
04-05-2007, 03:36 AM
I never see the appeal of the big summer blockbusters....
I would never have even seen either of the Pirates movies if it wasn't for You Know Who (Orlando Bloom, of course).

I hear Pirates 3 will clock in at nearly 3 hours. I don't know if I can sit through three hours of that shit. I may just buy a ticket as a token show of support for a certain member of the cast, without actually going in to watch the film.

I am, however, looking forward to 28 Weeks Later, which I too consider a zombie movie, even if it doesn't technically involve zombies.

Pygmalion
04-05-2007, 05:57 AM
I never see the appeal of the big summer blockbusters....
I would never have even seen either of the Pirates movies if it wasn't for You Know Who (Orlando Bloom, of course).

I hear Pirates 3 will clock in at nearly 3 hours. I don't know if I can sit through three hours of that shit. I may just buy a ticket as a token show of support for a certain member of the cast, without actually going in to watch the film.

Maybe the "certain member of the cast" would prefer it if you actually enjoyed her (or his) movies rather than wasting your money on a ticket which someone else probably wants more.

Just because they're blockbusters doesn't make them bad.

kingdumbass
04-05-2007, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't be wasting my money....
I mean, I'd BUY a ticket to Pirates, but then see something else. It's known as "theater hopping". I used to do it all the time when I was too young to get into R-rated movies. Buy a ticket to, say, Star Wars, and then see Species instead. Sometimes, I would get caught; sometimes, I wouldn't.

Hazzle
04-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Zombie films are almost always social commentary, though. And I always just refer to 28 Days Later as a zombie movie because, essentially, it is. Sure they're not undead, but they're zombie-like enough for me to describe it to people that way.

I'm not that bothered by the whole "they're not zombies as they're not undead" thing that some people are. That's just plain gay. My beef with is there are, I feel, two genres, the zombie movie as a social commentary (and I'd put George Romero's work in this bracket) and those that are just mindless "horror" flicks. 28 Days Later was on one side of that line, I fear 28 Weeks Later will be on the other. Hope not as I rate 28 Days Later as a classic.

I hear that the logic behind using a different director is they want to use a different one for each sequel, and emulate the Alien films. The problem with that is, Alien remains the best of that series, and Cameron's (which was also the second in the series, like 28 Weeks Later would be) was the worst. Seriously, anyone who's excited about 28 Weeks Later should be shot. It looks like exactly what's bad about summer blockbusters.

Spidey 3 looks awesome. The Spidey films have so far both been everything that's good about blockbusters. Comes from having a kickarse director. I'll probably forgive them for the massive deviation from the comics because Sam usually does a good enough job to make me ignore all the differences.

Brad, apparently the excuse behind the accents in Alexander is the director claimed that ancient Mesopotamian accents have no modern equivalent and apparently Irish and Scottish accents are closest. Heh, yeah right. That's so believable...

kingdumbass
04-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Oh, there have been countless zombie movies that are not social commentary....

Hazzle
04-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Of course there've been loads of Zombie movies that weren't social commentary. None that are any good though.

Only people with -1000 braincells enjoy braindead films like that.

Ranman
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I can't be bothered reading all this zombie talk

Zombie movie's rule

Porcelain_Doll
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I can't be bothered reading all this zombie talk

I think for the first time we agree on something...

I don't really care much about zombie flicks. I did love Resident Evil, even if it's not technically a zombie movie.
But dead, gross creatures, dragging their feet with their eyes blank while moaning for blood?
No thanks. I'll stick with Donkey.

hasselbrad
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Shaun of the Dead is the only zombie movie I've ever enjoyed.

Pygmalion
05-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Only people with -1000 braincells enjoy braindead films like that.

Well excuse me for having 1000 braincells. I love mindless zombie movies, bring on the guts and gore I say because the less plot there is the better.

Hence why I thought 28 Days Later was boring and stupid; far too much pompous plot, and not enough kids getting zombie-fied. It shouldn't be classified as a zombie movie because us stupid plebs get confused and watch it expecting great things.

And no, they weren't real zombies. The whole POINT of a zombie is they eat people...motivated by hunger not rage.

Why do people watch slasher movies? I prefer a bad zombie movie over a good serial killer flick anyday.

kingdumbass
05-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I love all zombie movies....
Well, not ALL of them. Actually, come to think of it, a whole lot of them are terrible.

But I do ike a lot of zombie flicks, even some of the braindead ones, like the Resident Evils. Yes, they suck; but I like them anyway (almost entirely because of Milla J, though). Of course, Romero continues to be the standard in the Zombie genre. I've got all of his films on DVD, even the non-zombie ones.

Hazzle
08-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Most zombie movies are shite. I'm glad Dumbass sees the error of his ways.

And I said "-1000" Pygs ;). You're in definite negative territory.

Films without plot are dull. Art is supposed to have substance to it, and films are an artform. No, they're not entertainment, that's a by-product of creating any artform, that seemingly we as a society have turned into the main reason for making films.

Heh, at least we agree on one thing Pygs. 28 Days Later was NOT a zombie movie. Actually, make it two, as I hate slasher movies too. Substance people, substance!

michael22
08-05-2007, 11:48 PM
To get my thread back on topic I threaten you all with the power of the boomstick ( though I find that it is interesting to see a forum degenerate into a zombie movie discussion)

kingdumbass
09-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Good news....
Early accounts of 28 Weeks Later indicate that it's a faithful continuation of the first one. It also reportedly has a real ''Wow'' of a second act.

And in other good news, Lindsay Lohan's "Georgia Rule'' is getting panned by critics. Here's to hoping she'll never get that Oscar!

Pygmalion
11-05-2007, 01:24 AM
And in other good news, Lindsay Lohan's "Georgia Rule'' is getting panned by critics. Here's to hoping she'll never get that Oscar!

Its not getting panned here, they say she gives a solid performance and its only Jane Fonda's scrpt inconsistencies that let the film down. I probably won't go see it but I tihnk its good to see Lindsay's out of the woods and continuing with her career.