PDA

View Full Version : Schools?

MeggieHoops
20-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Which do you guys think is better...public or private school?

Now I went to the same private school for my whole life, and although I would have liked to have a chance to experience public school, I thought it was really great. The classes were usually only around 15 people, which is medium sized, and there was always the right amount of attention from the teacher, etc. I also think it REALLY helped my college applications and stuff. But still, once again, I always feel like I really missed out on the whole public school environment.

Pinkfairy
20-07-2004, 05:17 PM
I went to a private school so we had to wear uniforms which was ok sometimes till it got boring. We had such strict rules, but it's ok. It was really hard, but it paid off cause I'm doing really well in college and I hardly study.

barrington
20-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Define "better".

Edit: Historically, British Public Schools (that's Private schools to you Americans) have outperformed their state-funded contemporaries in terms of student results yet are well-known for equipping their students with virtually zero life-skills and worldly acumen.

The best possible choice is to be lucky enough to attend both.

Pinkfairy
20-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah, cause education wise, I'd say it's up to the school, not whether they're public or private.
And some publics don't allow the freedom we think they do.
But breaking rules in school was fun, so I did enjoy the private school experience

Sarah
20-07-2004, 05:30 PM
I don't know what I went to! I didn't pay, so what did I go to? ''Normal'' school is probably what I'd call it. Our classes had about 20 people in them. I got a damn good education. 'Nuff said.

The website of my fantastic school. http://www.tollbarbec.net/

I seriously loved it there. I really, really did. I wish I could go back into Year 10 or something.

barrington
20-07-2004, 05:38 PM
But breaking rules in school was fun, so I did enjoy the private school experience
What a strange quote. Isn't that along the same lines as saying "I don't like eating sushi, so I enjoyed the Ice Hockey experience"? I don't get it.

I never found breaking rules something inherently found in private schools to enhance one's enjoyment of the experience.

apoggy
20-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Well i went to a shity comprehensive, I didnt turn out so bad did I? :p

Look at its performance in 2000, the year I left
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/03/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/353_4015.stm

I did however go to a really good sixth form college, the best in the north apparently
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/03/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/353_8600.stm

hasselbrad
20-07-2004, 05:44 PM
I went to public school, and I have suffered dearly for it. If you are lucky enough to live in a really good school district, public can be alright, but by and large, public schools suck.
I took Honors English my sophomore year, and we spent the first nine weeks...a full quarter of the school year...reading the book A Separate Peace. That's sixth grade summer reading for one of the private schools in Atlanta.
Believe me...you missed nothing in private school. You'll probably have read most of what you'll read in freshman English in college.

Sarah
20-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Could someone explain public and private. Which one do you pay for? Private, yes? Well it must be or it doesn't make sense.

apoggy
20-07-2004, 05:49 PM
its not public and private in this country, hence the confusion

public is paid for here,

all free education isnt really given a catagoric name I dont think

Pinkfairy
20-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Well, it's not like we all did anything harmful. Skipping class, that kind of thing.
How about if I put it this way: It was fun skipping class which we weren't supposed to.

Cycleofthemoon
20-07-2004, 05:52 PM
My public school system that I am still in (one more year) hasn't really been that bad. I like the enviroment, our lunch prices went up but so did the quality of the food. The classes were big but it made it fun. The school joins the two towns around it. So once you go into high school you met a wave of new people. I like it, and I will miss it. :cool:

barrington
20-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I went to both flavours.
I started at Private which I believe gave the best possible start to my education and instilled in me all those ethical values which a nun-father-chapel institution holds dear.
It showed me a cloistered environment, associates with fabulous wealth and influence, how the old boy network runs, taught me manners, how to be a gentleman and probably affected something resembling good breeding.

I finished at a city State institution. This offered me an insight into an enormously more varied melange of cultures, ideals, goals and backgrounds. It taught me how to become self-motivated enough to survive in the Real World and make money, how to interact in socially disparate groups and how to value contemporaries for their contribution to my life, not to funding a new school wing. It also furnished me with the requisite qualifications to apply to university.

This "foot in both camps" approach has given me a post-education view of the world quite unique amongst my peers; offering the advantages and drive of the satired Silver-Spoon start but incorporating the necessary real-world skills of how to achieve those goals fostered by my start in life.

Doing both is the way to go.

Kelsey
20-07-2004, 07:15 PM
In the United States, you pay for a private education, and a public education is available to anyone.

I started out at a private school at the age of 3 (pre-K), and really enjoyed it. I feel it provided me with a solid first experience of school. I started at a public school at the beginning of 6th grade, and have been there ever since. I look back and prefer the Private school because there is more attention given to a single student, education is taken more seriously, and everyone realizes and accepts the fact that they are there to get an education, not because the law requires them to be there. Stuff like that. At a public school, there's a huge pressure to seperate yourself, yet at the same time you do have to conform to what is normal if you don't want to be labeled as a loser, a fraction of the class takes education seriously, and the majority of my teachers feel they don't get paid enough, so they purposely make the class less quality than it should be.

Living in California, I wish I was at a Private school now more than ever. With all the budget cuts (seriously, what idiot decides educational budgets are the first to be cut?), public schools are suffering big time. My high school has laid off teachers which means 30-40 people in a single class, any elective with a class list of less than 25 people was cut for this upcoming new year, less of a class choice, no after school tutoring, and there are less buses. The less buses thing really sucks for some students because my school happens to be out in the middle of nowhere. The elementary schools in my district have shut down the libraries and after school programs because the state can't afford it. A school without libraries? So, it's in situations like this that Private schools are better. Having experienced both, I prefer private school.

Sierra High School (As you can see, even our website screams cheap):
http://www.mantecausd.net/SHS/sierraHome.html

Richard
20-07-2004, 07:28 PM
I couldn't agree more. Though I've never been to a private school in my life, judging from your response... it does seem a little more productive. Having been to a public school all my life (since k-12) I can't imagine going anywhere else. I've met a lot of great teachers and friends along the way... that it's too late to complain. I've never on the otherhand, felt the need to be like most people. Peer pressure, believe it or not, I have yet to experience. Perhaps it's my lifestyle in which I seperate my school life and home life. I have plenty of friends, but sometimes it's some of your friends that bring you down. With collage on the way, I probably won't ever see them again. It sucks, because I choose carefully who my friends are, and the one's I have are the one's I wish I could spend another four years with.

Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo High School (I couldn't have asked for a better one.)
http://205.154.151.221/cabrillohighschool/index.asp

DragonRat
20-07-2004, 08:16 PM
I was enrolled in a private school (Lutheran, actually) from kindergarten to 8th grade, so for a good 9 years, I had a pretty good education. Unfortunately, private schools - especially parochial types - do not teach their students about the so-called 'real world'. That's where high school came in, where I had for four years an interesting experience, to say the least. Ups and downs, and stuff like that. Then I went to college, where it is a bit more anonymous, and now I am currently waiting to learn my dorming assignment to Berkeley.

I think, in a way, the early years of your academic development have no bearing on how one grows up. Sure, they teach you ethical and moral values in the early days, if you're in a parochial school, but in the end, where you go for high school and college is probably most important - the latter utterly being where all your beliefs and ideas either build a stronger foundation, or falter to a crumbling end. And I've gone to public high schools and colleges, so, if you wish to learn more about the real world and its goings-on, go to a public institution. Private schools teach you plenty more academically, but for me, I'd rather learn about how to survive in this world rather than learn about it.

gracie
20-07-2004, 08:44 PM
i went to public school for a while, then switched to private. i liked my school but i wouldnt be able to compare. i liked my school and i like the girls i went to. i would recommend a single sex environment. i bonded quite well with my classmates and wasnt distracted by guys. i dont know if it helped but we were all quite close. and i like private school as theres a certain expectation or assumption that goes with you. a reputation really. uniforms are awesome too.

hasselbrad
20-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Yes...school-girl uniforms are awesome
***ahem***
Officer...these cuffs seem a bit tight.
:rolleyes:

Seriously, I will probably ruffle some feathers with this statement, but it's mainly the teacher's union (NEA) fault that schools are such a mess. A good friend of mine, who lives in Tennessee, told me that the teachers in Tennessee have dropped out of the NEA and formed their own union.
He said that the NEA's lobby in Washington spends all of its resources lobbying for things completely unrelated to education.
The only kids that I encountered at college that were less equipped than me were the kids who went to the rural, Christian "academies" that sprung up after desegregation. Most of those private schools were not accredited, therefore their first year was spent in remedial classes.

MeggieHoops
20-07-2004, 09:05 PM
God I could NEVER go to an all girls school. I would kill myself. Although I'm sure I could (sorry that's not meant to sound conceited), I don't date too much, so that's not the issue...but I LOVE my guy friends. It gives life a little variety! And plus, being in an all girls school seems very sheltering. Once you get into the real world there'll be guys around all the time.

Renegade
20-07-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm glad I've finished with private school. From Kindergarten to 8th grade, rules were heavily enforced. I remember a rule that boy's socks must be a certain length from the ankle in order to be legal. Geez, who the hell would care enough about sock length to actually make a rule of it!? All the boys wore pants over them anyway. Silly rules like that made me realize how much stupid my school was. This is why I try to not to take going to a public high school for granted.

gracie
20-07-2004, 09:32 PM
God I could NEVER go to an all girls school. I would kill myself. Although I'm sure I could (sorry that's not meant to sound conceited), I don't date too much, so that's not the issue...but I LOVE my guy friends. It gives life a little variety! And plus, being in an all girls school seems very sheltering. Once you get into the real world there'll be guys around all the time.

er...how to explain all that is gracie. i have lots of guy friends, im just really close to all the girls i went to school with, not just a group of them, im not sheltered and im well educated. As poggs says
Andy says:
tell her that you get to shag loads of guys if you go to an all girls school

yes, that about sums it up.

apoggy
20-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the direct quote there gracie :p

CFC
20-07-2004, 10:48 PM
I have been at a private school since pre-school. I don't know if the experience is totally worth it. The academics are good, but then again the public schools around here offer the same courses. I have had some awsome teachers and I have had teachers that were not qualified to teach some courses. I guess the *best* thing is here they work you hard, really hard. I have friends at public schools in the sames classes as me but we are doing much more work. I am also ahead of them in some subjects because our school gives high school level classes starting in 7th and 8th grade.

This is the problem with my school: It is an isolated bubble. I would say atleast 90% of the kids that go there are you sterotypical upper class family. I am not gonna say my parents are not well off, but at my school it would seem so because there are plenty of kids who spend money like it is going out of style. (Example: A guy last year destroyed his new BMW, so his parents bought him a new honda.) There is also hardly any diversity. In my grade which is about 110 give or take a few, we maybe have 5 minorities.

I think public school would have been a better experience, but then again I don't have a choice were I go.

Narg
20-07-2004, 11:18 PM
I went to one of the worst schools in my state, its a public school, its a fucking hole, the teachers dont know shit. I skipped most days and periods, and played video games instead of studied, shame really, but, hey these things happen, im just glad im out of that stinking hell hole.

Hazzle
21-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Alrighty...I've been to a fair few schools in my time :p And it's quite a mix.

First off: State school (free...that's public for you Americans)...left due to getting into too many fights :D

Second off: State again...left because the Deputy Head was a cock. Was late once and made to report to him...after that I arrived 10 minutes early to report to him and the prick'd arrive late and then claim I was late :confused: Head stuck up for him so my mum told him to fuck his school (almost a direct quote that) and I left.

Third: Back to the first school for a bit before...

Fourth: Private School (yeah, it was called a private school...bloody Americans invading our language :p)...was alright I spose...good education and all...got into a fight with the principal's grandson which was cool.

Fifth: Took entrance exams for 5 private schools including two of the best in the country (Haberdashers Aske and Merchant Tailors, for those of you in the UK who know this sort of thing)...got into all 5...picked one...acted like a prick and my parents pulled me out.

6th:State...total shit...largely as my form tutor was an arse and I constantly told him where to shove it.

7th: Lived in India and went to a Private school there...actually comparatively impressive compared to UK education...Maths and Sciences were far advanced (at 13 I was doing stuff I then did again at GCSEs when I came back)...even English wasn't that bad.

8th: State again...same school as 6th...much better this time...new form...still had issues...stayed for 6th form and finally settled down into a proper school life.

After that LONG story...foot in both camps is probably best, but I think Baz's experiences are far better than mine...moving schools a lot is NOT good...but yah...private til you're 11 and then state seems the way to go...state school certainly teaches you a little more world smarts.

frodo1511
21-07-2004, 03:10 AM
I've been to both, and I like the public schools better. But it really dosen't matter to me, as long as you do good, study, and every once in a while, listen to the teacher bullshit about something stupid.

Ashlyn
21-07-2004, 07:39 AM
i went to a public school for seven years but when i started high school i decided to go to a private girls school. being at a girls school has been good i think, some of my friends who went on to public high schools got 'distracted' by all the guys and have now stuffed up in one way or another. the private system appears to be more disciplined but in terms of education i think that's a good thing. the public school i was at was great, if im still living round here i'd like to send my kids there. i think public education in primary school is a good idea - a lot of my friends who i've met at high school came from catholic primary schools and seem to have spent more time doing religous things (like confirmation or something) than learning what they needed to know for high school. i would say their primary education was definitely sheltered - a number of them found high school to be a bit of a shock in terms of the workload and what was required of them. in high school though, i wouldnt say we're sheltered at all and having no guys around isnt necessarily a bad thing, i have plenty of guy friends but i dont mind that i dont see them every day at school.

alby
21-07-2004, 08:36 AM
US SCHOOLS

It depends on the neighborhood in which the school is located. Public schools in more affluent towns can and often are well funded, offer good facilities and teachers, and prepare you well for college. Even times of recession, your school won't be affected very much. Your school might even be better than the local private school.

Then again, if you go to an elite private school aka a feeder then you'll have the reputation and all of the benefits of a good public school and much more.

I went to prep school -- Andover -- and I loved it there. It's worth the experience I think. There's much more freedom to study what you want, but you do study hard. Also, the resources are phenomenal even without massive state aid.

However, you'll also find very bad public and private schools where drugs, violence, administrative indifference, and sexual abuse run rampant. No school is the same; it all varies (bylaws, amounts of state aid, reputation, donations, endowment, quality/commitment of teachers, condition of facilities, etc). The educational system here doesn't teach morals/ethics; you learn (or don't learn) that at home.

If you go to a mediocre public or private school, then, well, you're basically fucked, courtesy of the inadequate safeguards inherent in the American educational system.

As for Catholic schools, male students there have to watch out for potentionally shady priests...brave souls they are.

Pygmalion
21-07-2004, 10:05 AM
I went to a public school for 5 years in primary, then my parents moved me cause I wasn't learning anything.
I'm STILL not learning anything, but i'm part of a close-knit group who look out for each other. The rules are strict but I'm used to them, and we still have fun, we just do weird things for kicks like spraying the fire extinguisher in somebody's studyroom while they're still in it, and covering the lino in the common room with detergent and skating on it, trying to let a guinea pig go in the library...stuff like that. And from experience girls from private schools have more confidence...

deviljet88
21-07-2004, 12:05 PM
I went to a primary school from Prep to Year 6, then went to a private school from year 7, now in year 9. I don't find much difference, since my maths teacher in yr 6 was also the vice principal, and she could kick any of my current yr 9 teachers in maths. I liked primary more for the factor its co-educational. Most private schools in Victoria are one-sex.

amishka
21-07-2004, 05:00 PM
i went to both id take public over private, all my private ones were either run by a sister/nun or uptight choads

Richard
22-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Alrighty...I've been to a fair few schools in my time :p And it's quite a mix.

First off: State school (free...that's public for you Americans)...left due to getting into too many fights :D

Second off: State again...left because the Deputy Head was a cock. Was late once and made to report to him...after that I arrived 10 minutes early to report to him and the prick'd arrive late and then claim I was late :confused: Head stuck up for him so my mum told him to fuck his school (almost a direct quote that) and I left.

Third: Back to the first school for a bit before...

Fourth: Private School (yeah, it was called a private school...bloody Americans invading our language :p)...was alright I spose...good education and all...got into a fight with the principal's grandson which was cool.

Fifth: Took entrance exams for 5 private schools including two of the best in the country (Haberdashers Aske and Merchant Tailors, for those of you in the UK who know this sort of thing)...got into all 5...picked one...acted like a prick and my parents pulled me out.

6th:State...total shit...largely as my form tutor was an arse and I constantly told him where to shove it.

7th: Lived in India and went to a Private school there...actually comparatively impressive compared to UK education...Maths and Sciences were far advanced (at 13 I was doing stuff I then did again at GCSEs when I came back)...even English wasn't that bad.

8th: State again...same school as 6th...much better this time...new form...still had issues...stayed for 6th form and finally settled down into a proper school life.

After that LONG story...foot in both camps is probably best, but I think Baz's experiences are far better than mine...moving schools a lot is NOT good...but yah...private til you're 11 and then state seems the way to go...state school certainly teaches you a little more world smarts.

You were a delinquent? Well you learn something new everyday. I most certainly hope you learned your lesson. :icon_err:

Hazzle
23-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Delinquent? Not quite...I was eventually head boy at my last school, despite having been on report for most of my time there :p.

Not to blow my own trumpet but I was an advanced kid but lazy as hell...Private School at least challenged me for the first time in my life but I still had difficulties settling in, had issues with work ethic (but getting better), making friends (always a problem with me...quelle suprise) and also the fees were kinda tough for my parents to pay...they could afford it but they expected results to show for it...fair enough I spose :).

Clever but lazy would be an apt way to describe me as a kid. Now I think just lazy will do :D

barrington
23-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Haz, you were only head boy because they kept you back so many years that you were the only 16 year old in Prep.

Hazzle
23-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Haz, you were only head boy because they kept you back so many years that you were the only 16 year old in Prep.

Shh you...I told you that in private ;)

Object Of Affection
23-07-2004, 10:27 PM
i went to a public secondary school, but i mean does it really pay off when you have lovely rich parents that send you to private school i don't think so. There's a kid down the cinema who went to "private school" and has ended down here working full-time :icon_surp :icon_conf

Had to check are results like (apoggy)

That is are school one i left 2002 (i thought we did better then that :icon_conf

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/03/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/933_4451.stm

And this is are college one :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/03/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/933_8006.stm

ekoston
20-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Definitely private schools as class sizes in a private boarding high school are much smaller than elsewhere and with the staff living on campus there is far more time and opportunity to tutor the students and supervise their homework sessions. Some sessions are mandatory and held under teacher supervision. Visit this site (http://www.militaryschools411.com/) to know more.

barrington
20-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Fair play for bumping a 7 year old thread!

SiennaMathew
18-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Public schools recruit qualified teachers, so that the students could get better education. Also the discipline level in the public schools is in top level compared to private schools.