PDA

View Full Version : Racist Engrish!

hasselbrad
19-04-2007, 09:42 PM
What color brown? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/ap_on_re_ca/canada_couch_racial_slur)
:icon_surp
Yeah...computer malfunction.
Whatever.
In the vein of Mandy's discussion thread, I wondered what the perception of race relations in the U.S. were around the globe.
Better?
Worse?
Fair to middlin'?

Foeni
19-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Hard to say. I don't think it's a big problem in Denmark. Of course we do have problems, but nothing that couldn't be handled by kicking out a few criminal elements. But it of course goes both ways. Today, an MP from the Danish People's Party compared the scarf some muslim women choose to wear, with the symbols of communism and nazism...

DanMan
19-04-2007, 10:44 PM
This sort of thing happens...alot. It's also obvious
that this gal is just after some easy money.
We make automotive bodies in the factory where
I work. About 5 years back the unemployment rate
was below 2% in our area. The government believes
that when the employment is below 2% most of the
new hires start coming from a group labeled "the unemployable"
drug addicts, alcoholics, etc... Our factory, like many around us
arranged for working age folks from Mexico with proper visas to
come up to Indiana to fill all the job vacancies. This created an
instant dilema since very few people in this area spoke spanish.
The human resources dept had to create signs and work instructions
in spanish. This was done with a spanish english dictionary. Many
many mistakes were made. One instruction for wet sanding a paint
prime coat on a car part translated into spanish as "put your underwear
on the hood". A spanish translator was hired the very next week. :icon_lol:

michael22
19-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I was almost expelled for calling Ghandi a Indian.

Digital_Ice
20-04-2007, 12:37 AM
no matter what you do, you're always going to offend someone. so whats the point it worrying about it!

political correctness has gone too far.

Pygmalion
20-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Australians are pretty racist, look at our foreign policy? And a lot of people are supporting this racist homophobic reverend in parliament who wants to stop muslims coming in.
Its not just the government though, its ingrained in society that its ok to be racist. My sister calls cars with Aboriginals in them "Boondi Wagons" and she told me if you have really dirty bare feet the term is "Coon Boots".
Small town living I guess.

deviljet88
20-04-2007, 11:11 AM
If Australia's foreign policy was as racist as it was in the past, I wouldn't be here. There's many a place worse, don't need to deprecate ourselves that hard I feel.

Leonie
20-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I've got an outsider's perspective on Australia, and I must say, I can imagine why people are taking such a harsh stance on "foreigners." I found there was so much tension between different groups of society, Anglo-Saxon Australians being the majority.

A lot of the groups in Australia don't seem to make a whole lot of effort to fit in, and as long as that eejit mufti is allowed to spread his rubbish everywhere, only more tension will be created. I can imagine majorities feel threatened by a muslim community that isn't particularly doing anything to shut up the person who calls himself the representative of all Muslims in Australia.

I say, you've got an island, you might as well make use of those qualities to ensure a safe society.

Ranman
20-04-2007, 12:29 PM
N-brown is a mistake, Its N-black, Way to go canada. You've been importing some of our rednecks I see

Liam
20-04-2007, 07:58 PM
There is nothing racist in Australian foreign policy.

There is a strong undercurrent of racism in Australia and it is largely seen as OK, provided you dont go shouting it in the streets.

I'm far from racist but I'm tired of hearing about how minorities in Australia are treated badly. They aren't, they have run of the place because the politicians haven't got the cajones to make any kind of stand. Positive discrimination in the extreme. And the behaviour of some of the minorities does little to engender trust. If they want respect, they have to respect the country they came to, its people, and its laws.

Everything Pieter said applies to Australia.

As far as US race relations - we don't really know much about it, aside from what we are shown by Hollywood (which I take to be pure, unadulterated shit). We have more than enough race problems in our own country to be particularly bothered with those in another country.

Hazzle
22-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Fucking darkies. Hate the lot of them.