PDA

View Full Version : Boredom. Therefore, Random Discussion.

Mandy
19-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I was having this discussion yesterday about how completely different cultures are in different countries. Since the Virginia Tech shooting I've been thinking about how seemingly violent the USA is compared to a lot of other countries. Is it like this in a lot of countries, or am I just totally ignorant?

It also seems that when someone like this happens in America, it ends up being huge news all over the world. When something happens anywhere else, we don't really hear about it.

Who knows, maybe I should just watch CNN more.

So the point is, for those of you in different countries, do you see America as an overly violent country? Or do the same sort of things happen where you live?

Mandy
19-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Also, I totally hate my country.

This month I have to renew my car tags, and in order to do that, you have to have insurance. Car insurance is so expensive, especially for me. The once you GET insurance, they punish you by making you pay more if you haven't HAD insurance in a while because it's considered irresponsible, when you just couldn't afford it. Not to mention getting your tags renewed costs $300+

And don't even get me started on health insurance.

hasselbrad
19-04-2007, 09:10 PM
As a country that has the arrogance to profile it self as The example for rest of the world. Yes. :icon_wink

Are you saying we should riot more after sporting events to fit in?
;)

Porcelain_Doll
19-04-2007, 09:19 PM
honestly, yeah. Quite. My country has been lucky enough not to have wars with its neighbours in my lifetime, though we did suffer a civil war.
So I don't know much about living in violent times and such.
Hence, most of the U.S's actions seem overly-violent to me, but I'm not completely ignorant, so maybe there is something behind that thought.

Digital_Ice
19-04-2007, 09:22 PM
well seing as the uk has been in almost every single war ever... can't really say much. lol

Liam
19-04-2007, 09:32 PM
From what I have read American media is very inward-looking and you only receive a very small mention of whats going on outside of your borders. Besides, I imagine news like this is more topical and important to Americans than Knut the polar bar in Germany getting death threats.

Its big news to everyone else because it pretty much doesn't happen elsewhere. I can only think of one event like this in my lifetime in Australia but I lost count a while back of how many things like this took place in the States. Violent crime still makes the news at home.

hasselbrad
19-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Also, I totally hate my country.

This month I have to renew my car tags, and in order to do that, you have to have insurance. Car insurance is so expensive, especially for me. The once you GET insurance, they punish you by making you pay more if you haven't HAD insurance in a while because it's considered irresponsible, when you just couldn't afford it. Not to mention getting your tags renewed costs $300+

And don't even get me started on health insurance.

That goes to cover the uninsured motorists who crash into people.
And you should move to Florida. My tag costs me just over $60.00 and it's a Bucs (more expensive) tag.
Maybe it's just Kansas that sucks.
Do they at least give you the courtesy of a reach-around for $300.00?
:p

Mandy
19-04-2007, 09:39 PM
From what I have read American media is very inward-looking and you only receive a very small mention of whats going on outside of your borders.

Someone else said that same thing to me, and I totally agree. Anything on the news is local.

Explains why everyone here is so fucking uncultured.

hasselbrad
19-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Someone else said that same thing to me, and I totally agree. Anything on the news is local.

Explains why everyone here is so fucking uncultured.

Are you trying to say the dude with the faux-hawk on American Idol being voted off isn't newsworthy?
It was one of the top stories on my Yahoo for a good part of the day.
:dontknowa

Mandy
19-04-2007, 09:48 PM
You have no idea how sad that makes me.

(I'm so glad that fucking kid is gone. Not that I really watch that show.)

DanMan
19-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Ha! Maybe it is more world cultured than we think.
Could the Idol contestant have been copying the recent doo
of a certain British soccer cough cough er football star? ;)

Mandy
19-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Ok....Coincidentally enough, Bowling For Columbine is on Bravo. I'm learning a lot about how fucking shit my country is.

hasselbrad
20-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Ok....Coincidentally enough, Bowling For Columbine is on Bravo. I'm learning a lot about how fucking shit my country is.

Have you gotten to the part where he gets the gun from the bank?
If so...it's a fucking lie.
And if not...when you get to that point, remember that it's a fucking lie.
;)

Mandy
20-04-2007, 12:58 AM
I didn't see that part, but it's cool that they got K-Mart to stop selling ammunition.

AureaMediocritas
20-04-2007, 10:08 AM
I really do not have much knowledge about U.S media, yet I remember when the (second) Iraq war was about to begin, CNBC had a freaking "countdown" until the war would officially start.
Examples like this one seem to show a commonly accepted warmonger attitude, even towards countries a bit lot of U.S. people wouldn´t be able to situate on a map.
Also, the majority of people I know tend to consider Americans as grown up kids, quite naive and really fond of guns and big cars. But that might only be a stupid prejudice...

Ranman
20-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Have you gotten to the part where he gets the gun from the bank?
If so...it's a fucking lie.
And if not...when you get to that point, remember that it's a fucking lie.
;)

Michael Moore told the truth you redneck

hasselbrad
20-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I really do not have much knowledge about U.S media, yet I remember when the (second) Iraq war was about to begin, CNBC had a freaking "countdown" until the war would officially start.
Examples like this one seem to show a commonly accepted warmonger attitude, even towards countries a bit lot of U.S. people wouldn´t be able to situate on a map.
Also, the majority of people I know tend to consider Americans as grown up kids, quite naive and really fond of guns and big cars. But that might only be a stupid prejudice...

At least it wasn't a giant, mirrored bomb on a pole sliding down until the war began, though you must admit, that would have been spectacular from a production values standpoint.
And fuck situating other countries on a map...a fair part of the population has difficulty finding where they live on a map.

Michael Moore told the truth you redneck

Michael Moore stumbled across the truth once.
Sadly, he mistook it for a Denver omelette with a side of hash browns and ate it. The dump he took afterward was Bowling for Columbine.
:dontknowa

mongoose
24-04-2007, 02:33 PM
do you see America as an overly violent country?

Yes I do. It's the only "civilised" country that uses armed force for destuction. Becuse the other ones who use it are the terrorists.

Hazzle
24-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Bowling for Columbine is a good movie. It's an amazing fictionary and shows great insight into how a documentary can be made that "proves" practically any point you want. As it happens I totally agree with Moore's anti-gun stance, the guy's just an utter prick, a false prophet who makes "telling" documentaries that simply tell people what they want to hear, and then pass it off as insight. The worrying thing is how many people "admire" him.

Moore wouldn't know the truth if it gave him a blowjob, which would be quite a feat as I'm not sure even Moore could find his own cock in that steaming pile of fat he passes off as a body. He's the Howard Stern of documentaries, everything he does is for shock value and effect, and none of it should be taken as fact. Unfortunately, many people do.

And no, I don't think the US is more violent than any other country. Like Liam said (and I would say from my limited personal experience of US media that it's true) the US is very insular, starting from the media and working its way down. I'm not sure if it's because of the media that the society is so insular or the other way around. Media tends to reflect the audience, but it's a chicken-and-egg situation as to which came first.

Mongoose: That's incredibly wrong. Israel uses force pretty destructively. Then again, Israel's often accused of state-sponsored terrorism. By idiots.

Mandy
24-04-2007, 05:42 PM
To be honest with you, watching Borat made me hate my country as well. Especially New York. Yeesh!

Hazzle
24-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeshimash!

Borat's no different in that regard to that thing about countries beginning with "u". It's designed to rip the piss out of stupid Americans, and there are no more stupid Americans, proportionately, than other cuntries. You don't get to be a superpower if you're a cuntry of imbeciles.

Mandy
24-04-2007, 05:50 PM
I just meant that everyone's rude and has no sense of humor. But yes, you can continue interpreting that in deep and meaningful ways. :p