PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever...?

Mandy
08-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Had their appendix taken out? How do you know if you've got appendicitis? What does it feel like?

I've got a weird kind of pain in my lower right side, not so much a pain but like a burning sensation.

Eek.

Digital_Ice
08-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Symptoms of acute appendicitis can be classified into two types, typical and atypical (Hobler, K., 1998). The typical history includes pain starting centrally (periumbilical) before localising to the right iliac fossa (the lower right side of the abdomen). There is usually associated loss of appetite and fever. Nausea or vomiting may or may not occur. Diagnosis is easier to make, surgery occurs earlier and findings are often less severe.

Atypical symptoms may include pain beginning in the right lower quadrant, diarrhea and a more prolonged, smoldering course. Being more difficult to diagnose, CT scans and ultrasound tests are more useful. Surgical finding are more apt to be severe (suppuration, abscess, perforation, etc.)
In either type of history, physical findings of appendicitis usually include localized findings in the right lower quadrant suggesting peritonitis. The abdominal wall becomes very sensitive to gentle pressure tapping. Coughing causes point tenderness in this area and this is the least painful way to localize the inflamed appendix. If the abdomen on palpation is also involuntarily guarded, there should be a strong suspicion of peritonitis requiring urgent surgical intervention.

heh. plagiarism ftw!

Mandy
08-04-2007, 03:23 PM
It doesn't sound like I do, but WTF do I have then??!?!

:(

Hazzle
08-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Rather than trust the medical expertise of KKW members, can I suggest you go see a doctor?

Digital_Ice
08-04-2007, 06:50 PM
who are you and what have you done with hazzle?

Porcelain_Doll
08-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, in my experience, doctors are evil blood sucking leeches that do more harm than good, so maybe this is Haz after all :p

Jacoby
08-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Well, in my experience, doctors are evil blood sucking leeches that do more harm than good, so maybe this is Haz after all :p

In America doctors are friendly, helpful people who drive BMWs.

My dad had his taken out. He let it get so bad it burst right before operation and he almost died (or at least that's what I was told when I was like 12)

Don't let it get that bad. He was incapacitated with pain and was telling my mom he was going to die. No joke. I heard him yelling that at her through the ambulance siren and it was pretty terrifying.

But it started small, like a burning cramp or something.

The procedure seems to be pretty safe and definitely effective. Though he said his farts are even more rancid after the surgery.

And also, you might become a born-again Christian about two years post-op. That's what happened to him.

Mandy
09-04-2007, 12:12 AM
That's what it's like...like a burning cramp.

Shit. Mandy doesn't have health insurance.

EDIT: So I called the doctor and she said it could be a number of things. Either appendicitis or possibly a cyst on an ovary, which would bloody well suck. I'm seeing her tomorrow so they can do a sonogram.

acliff
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM

I'd suggest your normal variety leeches, because they actually can do some good

DanMan
09-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Poor Hazzle.

He starts acting nice for a change and everyone freaks. :icon_err:

Liam
10-04-2007, 06:56 AM
If you had appendicitis, you would know about it.

Porcelain_Doll
10-04-2007, 01:27 PM
In America doctors are friendly, helpful people who drive BMWs.

There's one who ain't :p
Dr. Lam (sorry if any of you are related to him, know him, love him, etc) at the Vascom-Palmer Clinic in Miami:

Not friendly. Hardly helpful. Don't know if he drives a BMW. They lost my freaking glasses. Wouldn't look at me and ignored my mum 'cause we're women. Etc.

Oh, and, in the lobby, I saw this "clinic policy" chart shit. "Helpful and understanding" were amongst the first rules the clinic had. ROFL

(I'm sorry, off topic. Just mentioning one of the reasons I loathe doctors :) )

Hazzle
10-04-2007, 07:02 PM
who are you and what have you done with hazzle?

A nasty joke when a close friend is ill would've been rather tasteless, no?

I'm no fan either but they do know rather a lot about diagnosis. It's the cure part I distrust them with, as they're in bed with the pharma companies. That and they all have God complexes.

Porcelain_Doll
10-04-2007, 07:05 PM
That and they all have God complexes.

:icon_rofl

Mandy
10-04-2007, 09:09 PM
The doctor said today that it's not appendicitis and that she thinks I've just got cysts on my ovaries. Greaaat. She did say that they go away on their own but I have to get a sonogram in a week if I don't stop hurting.

Bleh

hasselbrad
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Yikes.
I've never heard of cysts just going away on their own, but then I'm not a doctor. Hope they do.

Porcelain_Doll
10-04-2007, 10:19 PM
shit, that sucks.

I'm sorry, Mandy.
Hope it doesn't turn into anything serious, we'd miss your sexy ass.

Ranman
11-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I think its time to put those ovaries to good
use before something else happens to them
Thats right I'm talking " Baby Making Time"
I have a cold right now, But I should be
available for this service next week

Mandy
11-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Sorry Ran, I'm on the pill.

But I'm glad you're still covering up that homosexuality.

:)

michael22
13-04-2007, 01:52 AM
I like canadian health care, totally free.
Our doctors actually know what they are doing if you can find one.

Hazzle
13-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Yikes.
I've never heard of cysts just going away on their own, but then I'm not a doctor. Hope they do.

Had one on my back that went away of its own accord.

Mandy
13-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Yes, Haz. But if I remember correctly.....ew.

Hazzle
14-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Wasn't pleasant, no. But it's gone now. Thank God. Left some scarring but nothing serious.