PDA

View Full Version : Soccer??

Zanko26
11-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Who is a fan of a Soccer Club??
I am a fan of the Juventus F.C., and you???

Foeni
11-02-2007, 06:40 PM
You mean football? :p
I support a Danish team, I don't really watch european football that much..

kingdumbass
11-02-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't really play or watch soccer, but I've always wanted to be a soccer hooligan....

keira fan#1
11-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I've always wanted to be a pro at soccer.
It's my favorite sport!!!
I don't have a favorite team, but i love to play it.
Actually my favorite team is my team!! :p
The DC Strikers.
:D

Zanko26
11-02-2007, 08:12 PM
In Italy the football (or soccer) is the most played sport..
I play to football with friends (but I have to stop, i hurt myself while i was playing :S ) and I've always wanted to be a pro at soccer too...

Norseman
11-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Never cared for any Football team, and haven't played for a club since I was in 4th or 5th grade. Anyway, I enjoy the game from time to time with some buddy's and it's fun as it's tiresome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/BingoMeister/dude.gif

hasselbrad
12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Thought you lot called it Calcio.
Thanks to Hazzle, I have become re-addicted to the sport.
Growing up, my team was the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the old NASL. Used to go to all the home games and even attended a Camp Kickinthagrass.
My favorite teams now are West Ham and Oxford United. I got involved in another soccer based board and really came to enjoy talking with West Ham fans more than any other. I got to know a lot about the history of the club and the link to England's 1966 World Cup victory, and that all kind of sealed the deal. So many players came up through the Academy of Football, only to star for other teams...Frank Lampard and Joe Cole for Chelsea...Rio Ferdinand for Manchester United...Jermaine Defoe for Tottenham Hotspur...and also play for England. I root for Team USA first and England second.
I do have a warm spot for Fulham and Reading simply because of the multiple Americans on each side. And, I like Reading's style of play, but West Ham is my team.
As for Oxford United, my family tree's roots run deep in Oxfordshire, so I follow their exploits on Sky and through their online newsletter.
I'm in the process of deciding who to root for in MLS, but it's hard since there aren't any teams nearby. The closest are DC United and Houston, which are both almost 1000 miles away. Hopefully, expansion will bring a team to Florida or at least Atlanta. I am going to catch some preseason action in Orlando, so maybe one of the teams will grab me.

Zanko26
12-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Hasselbrad, have you seen USA - Italy, match of the 2006 World Cup Edition (in Germany)??
It was the only match that Italy didn't win...

hasselbrad
12-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Hasselbrad, have you seen USA - Italy, match of the 2006 World Cup Edition (in Germany)??
It was the only match that Italy didn't win...

Yes I did.

Liam
12-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah, watched you cheat your way past Australia as well.

hasselbrad
12-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Serie A...twenty teams...five currently being penalized points and Juventus banished to Serie B.
Hardly surprising.
:dontknowa

Liam
13-02-2007, 04:34 AM
It wouldn't happen as often if the game had referees who werent terrified to call someone for diving. The same happens in cricket - umpires are scared to report bowlers with suspect actions for fear of reprisal by national cricket boards.

On the balance of it the Italy-Australia game was evenly poised and could really have gone either way. Each team showed their real colours a few minutes from time. One cheated to get the win, one didn't.

We all know which was which.

GrimeZy
13-02-2007, 08:23 AM

Yeah! we should have won that match

deviljet88
13-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Past is the past. However, I would like to see that team playing together again, losing to Denmark 3-1 (with over half the team not the World Cup squad) is just bleaugh.

Anyway on topic, really lost interest in soccer/football after SBS (a free-to-air TV station) had its soccer rights bought out by some stupid cable company >< Used to go for Arsenal, now don't really know enough to care. Heard they're 4th or something huh..

hasselbrad
13-02-2007, 12:53 PM
On a related note...I am going to be doing a write up for a preseason match between Real Salt Lake (yeah...I know, silly grab at Europeanization) and the Columbus Crew. A friend of mine is a Salt Lake fan and usually does these things but he can't make it. Apparently, it's going to be published in Salt Lake City.

Zanko26
13-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah! we should have won that match
Hey, one of the our player received a red-card with doing nothing :S
This season Bresciano is doing a good season with the Palermo...

mongoose
13-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm a football fan (in my country they call it football). I like Liverpool and Manchester UTD in England amd the team that playes in my town. (Poli Timisoara :icon_bigg).

According to your discussion here I must say the match between Australia and Italy was not correct. Sorry to say but in my opinion Italy are not Champions.

And it was a pitty waht happen in Italy with the violence. The match Italy-Romania was canceled and I couldn't watch the Italians loose :icon_eplu.

Zanko26
14-02-2007, 11:57 AM
The match Italy-Romania was canceled and I couldn't watch the Italians loose :icon_eplu.You'll never see Romania beat Italy :P
In Italy there are many idiot supporters, they want only to kick ass... 2 weeks ago a policeman died, is for this that the match was cancelled...
I hope the situation will change...:(

mongoose
14-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I know the incident with the policeman. I think it was all over the world in the news, but I think every country has a bit of violence in sports(even if not in football). But theese are the peoples in the world. You cannot change them .

Liam
14-02-2007, 05:32 PM
You may find this useful:

http://www.divinginstructortraining.com/images/equipment/collage.jpg

hasselbrad
15-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Thank you Liam. I needed that.
:icon_lol:

hasselbrad
16-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry for the double post, but here is a link (http://rsldeuce.blogspot.com/) to the write-up I did for the Real Salt Lake v. Columbus Crew tilt.
Please don't ban me for shameless self promotion.

Ranman
20-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Soccer sucks
I hope becham gets kicked in the nuts
when he gets off the plane

Joana
21-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Well....I love soccer! :D And I'm a FC Porto fan...My team! :D

Porcelain_Doll
21-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Soccer sucks
I hope becham gets kicked in the nuts
when he gets off the plane

That's the spirit!

mongoose
21-03-2007, 08:52 PM
That's the spirit!

No, that's not the spirit.
Soccer doesn't suck. Actually it's the most beautiful sport.
You can't see tricks with the ball in american football, you can't see tricks in ice hockey or in golf or anywhere else. The only sport that is nearing to football (soccer) is basketball, and even there it's not that amazeing or spectacular.

About Beckam I don't care, he is retireing anyway.

Joana
21-03-2007, 08:56 PM
You can't see tricks with the ball in american football, you can't see tricks in ice hockey or in golf or anywhere else. The only sport that is nearing to football (soccer) is basketball, and even there it's not that amazeing or spectacular.

About Beckam I don't care, he is retireing anyway.

Totally Agree! :D

hasselbrad
21-03-2007, 09:07 PM

You've obviously never seen the par 3 tourney at the Masters...or a trick shot artist at work...or even Tiger Woods bouncing a golf ball on his wedge, before launching it with a full swing while in mid-air. Hell, just watching Phil Mickelson play a flop shot from ankle deep rough is magical.

mongoose
21-03-2007, 09:12 PM
You've obviously never seen the par 3 tourney at the Masters...or a trick shot artist at work...or even Tiger Woods bouncing a golf ball on his wedge, before launching it with a full swing while in mid-air. Hell, just watching Phil Mickelson play a flop shot from ankle deep rough is magical.

You might be right, but is golf popular everywhere in the world? It's well know in USA , Australia, New Zeeland, maby Asia. In Europe very few counties have a golf field. While football is popular around the world ( you must agree withe this ).

hasselbrad
21-03-2007, 09:28 PM
You might be right, but is golf popular everywhere in the world? It's well know in USA , Australia, New Zeeland, maby Asia. In Europe very few counties have a golf field. While football is popular around the world ( you must agree withe this ).

There's a very large portion of the world's population that has little or no interest in soccer. India, Canada and the United States, for instance.
But that's not what we were talking about.

You mentioned tricks, and I simply stated that there are a lot of trick shots played in golf. And, I would hazard a guess that more "trick" shots are attempted and executed in a round of golf than in a soccer match. Every single shot attempted from trouble, is technically a "trick" shot.

I've watched video of Diego Maradona playing around before a match and I've watched Moe Norman hit a golf ball out of the mouth of a Coke bottle without so much as chipping the bottle. Both are amazing.

Porcelain_Doll
21-03-2007, 10:22 PM
That's the spirit!

People, it was sarcasm....geez.

By the way, I agree with Brad. I find tennis ten times more exciting, plus it's less violent (unless you're John McEnroe...).

And, also, Diego Maradona was an amazing player, but threw his life away with drugs and so. He's a bit of a fallen idol, he's seen as many as one of the best, but you can't ignore how messed up he is.

mongoose
22-03-2007, 06:38 PM
You mentioned tricks, and I simply stated that there are a lot of trick shots played in golf. And, I would hazard a guess that more "trick" shots are attempted and executed in a round of golf than in a soccer match. Every single shot attempted from trouble, is technically a "trick" shot.

I referred at soccer in general not in a football match. Because how long does a golf match take? 90 minutes ? Because if we speak in generally can a golf fan/player (not professional) do tricks with a golf bat ? I'm not so sure.
But watch soccer. They all know tricks. Go and watch 6-7 year old kids driblling and shooting like they knew it since they were born.
Besides, the most spectacular is street-football. There you should watch tricks. And I don't think there is street-golf.

But hey. Each person likes another sport more than the other so you can say that your sport is more interesting, dramatic, nice, while someone else doesn't agree.

hasselbrad
22-03-2007, 07:33 PM
You're arguing the merits of soccer with someone who's spent about a hundred dollars for tickets, to see the U.S. Men's National Team play Ecuador this weekend.

mongoose
22-03-2007, 07:36 PM
You're arguing the merits of soccer with someone who's spent about a hundred dollars for tickets, to see the U.S. Men's National Team play Ecuador this weekend.

I congratulate you. ;)

hasselbrad
23-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I congratulate you. ;)
Not looking for congratulations.
I just happen to think that attitudes toward soccer could change in my country if soccer fans didn't take such an aggressive tact toward every other sport.
I also happen to think Ranman is a closeted Republican.

hasselbrad
29-03-2007, 09:09 PM
People, it was sarcasm....geez.

By the way, I agree with Brad. I find tennis ten times more exciting, plus it's less violent (unless you're John McEnroe...).

And, also, Diego Maradona was an amazing player, but threw his life away with drugs and so. He's a bit of a fallen idol, he's seen as many as one of the best, but you can't ignore how messed up he is.

This guy? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070329/ap_on_sp_so_ne/soc_maradona_health;_ylt=AhSDKLrNmK8eDWwK4QkVjG4LM xIF)
Wow.

Hazzle
29-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Soccer?! SOCCER?!? Fuck me. Let me get this straight...a website...started by an Englishman (albeit with the help of an Aussie), currently administered by two, admittedly gender-challenged, Englishmen, historically incredibly biased in terms of staff numbers towards the English and dedicated to an English actress.

And we've got a soccer thread? The world's going to hell in a handbasket I tell you.

hasselbrad
29-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Soccer?! SOCCER?!? Fuck me. Let me get this straight...a website...started by an Englishman (albeit with the help of an Aussie), currently administered by two, admittedly gender-challenged, Englishmen, historically incredibly biased in terms of staff numbers towards the English and dedicated to an English actress.

And we've got a soccer thread? The world's going to hell in a handbasket I tell you.

Started by an Italian...go figure.

Hazzle
29-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Those crazy eyeties.

is5157
12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Football is interesting game. I prefer to play, but don't like watch...