PDA

View Full Version : Keira sues the Daily Mail

Digital_Ice
22-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Good for her!

British actress Keira Knightley is taking legal action against a British newspaper, claiming an article it published suggests she has lied about having an eating disorder.

The Daily Mail included a photo of the Pirates of the Caribbean star on a beach, alongside comments describing her skinny physique, as part of an article about a girl who had died of anorexia.

In a statement from her lawyers, Knightley vows to challenge the alleged implication she's in some way responsible for the girl's tragic death and the alleged suggestion she's lied about having an eating disorder.

i'm not going to bother crediting my source seing as every single version of this article is word for word the same, so they're all copyright theiving bastards.

kingdumbass
22-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Of course, she's right in her lawsuit, although I wonder if this means the Mail will slander her every chance they get now....
It's interesting to see her stand up for herself, though.

kingdumbass
23-01-2007, 02:20 AM
The article in question was indeed outrageous....
I was shocked by how irresponsible The Daily Mail was in publishing it. They basically allowed a confused grieving mother to get her crackpot ideas about what caused her daughter's death into what APPEARED to be a serious medium, in order to slander someone for no reason. The girl who died was so ill that she could not even walk, and had been through several hospital stays. That's the result of a severe MENTAL ILLNESS, not the influence of some celebrity. The whole thing was absurd.

I could swear there was even one quote in the ORIGINAL article (which was removed after it had been online for about 2 hours) in which the dead chick's mother actually said "I entirely blame the media and celebrities" for what happened.

Is the Daily Mail normally supposed to be considered a valid newspaper? Or is it like The Mirror, in that no one takes it seriously?

DanMan
23-01-2007, 02:25 AM
I'd like to point out 2 things about Keira's slight weight loss.
1. At the time of the London Premiere for DMC, Keira had just
gotten back from the caribbean. I spent 3 weeks in Honduras
in the spring time (May) one year and it was 105 degrees farenheight
in the shade every day! How could anyone keep weight on
in that kind of heat?

2. Keira apparently has a very fast metabolism. I had the same
kind of metabolism at her age and as a guy, I tried and tried to
gain weight thru weight lifting and was eating tons. I kept getting
stronger but couldnt gain weight and I was desperate to put some
size on my 170 pound 6'1" frame. Some people just cant keep the
weight on. Alot of overweight people dont seem to understand
that some people have just the opposite problem naturally and
it has nothing to do with a mental disorder about eating and self
image.

Sarah
23-01-2007, 09:09 AM
It is to my understanding that Anorexia is caused from a need to 'control' something. This being your body as it's about the only thing you can control.

You can't blame naturally slim people for this. Its disgusting. Keira's absolutely right to sue their arses for this.

mongoose
23-01-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't think to accuse someone of "eating disorder" is right. Specially when you don't know much about that person.
At me all people say that I'm skinny ( which is part true) but I don't have such a eating disorder. The reason for this is that I do a lot of sports and use the energy. So it's not natural to blame someone for beeing skinny.

Porcelain_Doll
23-01-2007, 05:26 PM
It's funny, but I really can't see which "beauty standards" the media stands by.
If an actress gains weight, they're ruthless. Think of Rebecca Romjin, she gained a bit of weight after X-men. The media were terrible, they were asking if she was to audition in "Fat Actress". But in the movies she put every single waifish model to shame. Who can wear only blue body paint and look amazing?

But they praised Kate Bosworth when she lost all her muscle weight after Blue Crush. And now they're saying she's too thin.

I really don't get it. The mother should hate the media, the very own newspaper that published her story, not the ones who are basically under the miscroscope every single day. And what pisses me off the most is that actresses like Keira can't even get a bloody tan without being harrassed. :dontknowa
But we all know that. No use bitching about it.

meegaan1
23-01-2007, 06:32 PM
This may sound harsh, but I think the mother should not blame anyone for her daughter's death because it was purely her daughter's fault. Keira and Posh didn't tell the girl not to eat, no one did. Maybe the mother should own up to her daughter's decisions and actions before she blames people that are not responsible in any way.

Mandy
23-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Don't they recognize the other parts of her body that aren't so skinny? Her legs aren't as thin as the rest of her. She's always been like that, in my opinion.

If she went so far as to announce that she in no way has an eating disorder, she totally has every right to sue any paper that still says she is, and that she lied. Bullocks.

Foeni
23-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Bah, if the girl does what celebs do because they're celeb, then she's either stupid or the parents have failed raising her properly.

allied_assult
23-01-2007, 09:54 PM
You can tell she's not anorexic because people with anorexia don't have muscle. If you look at the pictures of her in Hawii, you can see the muscle she has on her stomach.

Sarah
23-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Plus Anorexic people look ill, and Keira looks very bright, sunny and healthy.

kingdumbass
24-01-2007, 11:03 AM
The Daily Mail now has the same article back online, but with all references to Keira Knightley removed....
It now only focuses on that Beckham chick.

Interesting what a lawsuit can do.

Porcelain_Doll
24-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure if she should continue it. I mean, she has every right to sue them, but this could damage her.

It would really suck if the AWE premiere were shadowed by this. The DMC was all about her Gucci dress and the claims that she was anorexic.

A movie later and they're still on the same thing? :( People will begin to question (even more) her health.
This could be bad. My guess is, if she wins, (which she probably will, if she chooses to go further with this) the paper will pay her a bunch of millions for damages and that's that.

kingdumbass
24-01-2007, 06:40 PM
No need to push it....

Nipsu
26-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes, good for you Keira!

kingdumbass
28-01-2007, 11:24 PM
The swine at The Mail have published another article on this matter, and they slam Keira once again....
In the title, they ask, "How could a picture like this NOT be bad for young girls?" Well, I could think of a few answers to that...but what strikes me is, if THEY feel the picture is bad, then why do they keep printing it?

Scumbags.

michael22
29-01-2007, 01:53 AM
they have every right to be scumbags they are news people. Now slandering someone thathad nothing to do with the deteirierating health of young girls (lovesick people can not be blammed, slander "god" on that) based on her influence as a star. That is just bad journalism and an even poorer attempt at revenge, you have to go in ninja like and snap their tooth picks in half, or turn te brightness all the way down on their T.Vs

Norseman
29-01-2007, 10:38 AM
You can't blame single individuals for the preassure of being slim/fit, when pictures of skinny models are being used in advertisement and fasion all over the world.

michael22
29-01-2007, 12:50 PM
and when you take in half of their "fansite quotes" they seem to be taken out of context.

Katielondon
30-01-2007, 09:55 PM
shes just naturally like that, she has a great body, why should they critisise her for that?,i hope she takes them to the cleaners.

Norseman
31-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Ye, it's stupid of them to use paparazzi photos of her to get their point across. Those photos wheren't meant to be in any magazine showing how fit she is.

Ruby
01-02-2007, 02:04 AM
I am a fan, and I think that she looks unhealthy compared to recent times, like she's lost 10 or 15 lbs when she didn't need to. She said that she hates diet and exercise so I doubt that she's been pumping iron to get all buff, but women aren't supposed to have 6 pack abs in the first place. I'm not saying any of this to be a troll either, because I do believe that there is reason for genuine concern about her health. Most people outside the fanbase bubble would probably agree that she's not looking too healthy, and is at risk. Maybe it's just stress.

http://i5.tinypic.com/2zhf4er.jpg

Mandy
01-02-2007, 02:11 AM
She doesn't look thinner she just looks more muscular...hmm

Ruby
01-02-2007, 04:19 AM
That’s because she’s lost bodyfat. She’s always had that much muscle, it just didn’t show until she dropped a few pounds for whatever reason. Hopefully she still has enough to cushion her organs and continue her metabolic functions and menstrual cycle, but the jury is still out.

kingdumbass
01-02-2007, 04:45 AM
Thank you, Doctor Ruby....

kingdumbass
01-02-2007, 09:03 AM
She did indeed look fucking awesome in the first pic on the left (undeniably HOT, even)....
But, as Flight said, who's to say what's going on in the most recent pic? There's a bunch of muscle going on there, and that makes speculation on what's healthy rather difficult.

She looks fit, unlike in those pics from the Pirates 2 premiere last summer. That's been the general consensus...even on gossip sites, where allegations of ED's are usually rampant.

So relax.

hasselbrad
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
I have two cousins who are anorexic.
These are not photos of an anorexic. She may have lost a bit of body fat in the last photo, but an anorexic wouldn't have anywhere near the muscle tone that she displays.
Period.
If she were anorexic, the tight six-pack abs would be a sunken pit and her skin would be clinging to her ribcage. There would be deep pits behind her collarbones. She looks like an athlete.

Also, something that should be pointed out from a photographic standpoint. The first three pictures were taken in bright, sunny conditions. Look at the color of the water, and you can plainly see that the fourth was taken on an overcast day. Therefore, the light is diffused and subtle areas of light and dark are able to remain, whereas the bright sunlight and multitude of reflective surfaces (sand and water) cause subtle surface details to be lost.
The real media shame in all of this, is that while they are hammering Keira about her weight, these same pricks are taking Tyra Banks to task over her weight gain.
Whatever it takes to drive that ad revenue, eh?

Digital_Ice
01-02-2007, 02:33 PM
do a google image search for anorexic, and then comare them to keira.

Norseman
01-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Female athletes are very "skinny" too, like OL runners etc. Anyway, I hope she's allright, and I bet she is too.

Porcelain_Doll
02-02-2007, 01:46 AM
I have two cousins who are anorexic.
These are not photos of an anorexic. She may have lost a bit of body fat in the last photo, but an anorexic wouldn't have anywhere near the muscle tone that she displays.
Period.
If she were anorexic, the tight six-pack abs would be a sunken pit and her skin would be clinging to her ribcage. There would be deep pits behind her collarbones. She looks like an athlete.

Also, something that should be pointed out from a photographic standpoint. The first three pictures were taken in bright, sunny conditions. Look at the color of the water, and you can plainly see that the fourth was taken on an overcast day. Therefore, the light is diffused and subtle areas of light and dark are able to remain, whereas the bright sunlight and multitude of reflective surfaces (sand and water) cause subtle surface details to be lost.
The real media shame in all of this, is that while they are hammering Keira about her weight, these same pricks are taking Tyra Banks to task over her weight gain.
Whatever it takes to drive that ad revenue, eh?

I agree. You can see a big difference, but mostly in her legs. And they look like she's been working them out, not starving.
I too have relatives who are anorexic and she does NOT look like one.

Plus, if I was her, I'd be furious. Geez, I'd be ripping my house to pieces!!! No wonder she sued that fucking paper, that's just none of their business.
And the fact that devoted fans are scrutinizing her pics and comparing them to others, trying to see through images whether she has a mental illness or not, seems like the worst to me.

Sure, we fans are concerned and wish her only the best, but I think it's just awful. Period. From now on, when I look at a picture of her I'll just stick to admiring it, not analising it.

kingdumbass
02-02-2007, 02:38 AM
What's interesting about the Daily Mail's new crusade to make being thin a crime is that the articles they publish always rest on the assumption that they know the weights and sizes of who they're writing about....
They're always talking about Size Zero, and 100 pounds, etc. Well, suppose that someone they're attacking is not, in fact, a size zero, nor 100 pounds. What would that mean?

I dunno. I'm just musing here.

Digital_Ice
02-02-2007, 06:32 AM
of course the most comical thing is, its the media that are saying how all this celebrity aspiration is unhealthy etc etc and celebrities should lead better roll models, and yet its the media who photoshop out imperfections in their photographs to portray the "perfect" image.... F*****g hypocrites

kingdumbass
02-02-2007, 07:32 AM
I read an article in the Daily Mail yesterday in which a woman chronicles her attempts to become a "Hollywood size zero"....
She says that by utterly starving herself, she managed to get her BMI down to 19 before giving up. She then goes on to assert that it's not possible for ANYONE to be that thin without starving themselves on a 500 calorie-a-day diet, and adds that thin celebrities must "own up" to their responsibilities.

Well, here's the thing: I did some calculations, and MY BMI is 19.5, and I definitely am not starving. My girlfriend's is about the same, and SHE definitely does not starve HERSELF. In fact, a rough estimate showed me that the both of us consume WAAAY more than 500 calories a day (for my woman, on an average day, I estimate something like 2,000 -- this is doing simple research using Google). The writer of the article clearly fails to understand the basic concept of varying metabolisms -- there are fast ones, and slower ones. Since nature did not intend for HER to be especially thin, she assumes it must be the same for everyone. I think that explains the real motivation of The Mail for slandering certain individuals.

How can you deal with someone who lacks an ability to understand basic facts?

Porcelain_Doll
02-02-2007, 12:51 PM
How can you deal with someone who lacks an ability to understand basic facts?

A shotgun? :p

I kneed a guy in the balls once. He failed to understand that groping has its consequences.

hasselbrad
02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.thestranger.com/blog/files/2006/08/nicole-richie-beach-01.jpg

How can anyone compare Keira's physique to this?

Porcelain_Doll
02-02-2007, 03:50 PM
THE DEAD WALK THE EARTH!!!!!!!

oh, sorry, my mistake. But truly, Nicole Richie looks like a prisoner of a Concentration Camp. :dontknowa

How can anybody aspire to be like that? How can people say that that amazing six pack is anywhere close to that ?!?!?!

Leshli.
07-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Bless Keira, don't blame her. She's setting a good example by showing that a.) you don't need an eating disorder to be thin, and b.) everyone should have the right to speak out and stand up for themselves.

She really is empowering for teenagers out there. Even if one of my friends does insist (wrongly) that she is a ho. Jealously over snogging Johnny Depp going on there...!

niah
08-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I think what people need to bear in mind is that the UK is having a real backlash against 'skinny' models, singers and actors at the moment. It's not just newspapers, tv shows, radio shows and even schools are highlighting this. They are not saying that it is a particular persons fault, more that we need to kick back against society and its preconceptions as to what is acceptable.

I think Keira is a bystander caught up in this huge debate.

I can see the good intentions of the newspaper. When you are walking around this country and there are thirteen and fourteen year old girls who haven't even started having periods because they have such a low body weight its a real worry. But picking out two celebrities and speculating about them isn't helping the situation at all.

I have a sister who is fourteen, and listening to her talk to her friends hit home. They are starving themselves - literally - to try and look like these people because they are convinced that it's how to be, that that's the only body boys like. They are children trying to live in an adult world that they don't understand and it's terryfying. They don't seem to be reading the articles that say this image is bad, they are just looking at the pictures. Nor do they realise that some of these people are sick, and some are naturaly slim. The teenagers in this country are so caught up in the media that they seem to have lost sight of their health.

I'm not saying I think Keira is a bad role model, or that she IS starving herself, or has any kind of problem. The only people who will know that are Keira and her family. But if you look at the potentially fatal situation that seems to be spirraling out of control, I can kind of see what the paper was trying to do.

Foeni
08-02-2007, 01:45 PM
I agree on that. The main problem is a lack of responsible parents/education. I know that to some celebrities are people to look up to - simply because they're celebrities. I also realise that it probably has something to do with the way the society as a general is idolising them. But it's still mainly the parents' responsibility.

Ruby
23-03-2007, 06:00 AM
I don't think anyone has said that she looks like Nicole Ritchie, but if she keeps dropping lbs she might!

Digital_Ice
24-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Hreh. She won!

In a settlement for 3,000, which she is donating to charity.

hasselbrad
24-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Good for her. Too bad it wasn't 3,000,000. Or 3,000,000,000. :icon_eplu

Leonie
24-05-2007, 12:55 PM
See here (http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/24/knightley.suit.reut/) and here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6687109.stm).

Keira is apparently donating the 3000 pounds she got to BEAT, an organisation that helps people suffering from eating disorders (and (other) mental illnesses). According to CNN, her mother said she would double the money, too.

Good on her :)

rani
24-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I am not a lawyer. i am just an admirer of Keira. But the legal issue has more favorably, in my legal opinion, leaning on the defendant side.

Libel is a serious accusation< if that would be the case, we need to establish the motive of the writer. Is he really aimed to defame Keira or he is just giving his analysis and concern for keira? or he is just riding the popularity of Keira?

I think it is best to settle it. forgive and forget.

kingdumbass
24-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Congrats to Keira....

michael22
24-05-2007, 11:52 PM
yeah, woot

rani
25-05-2007, 11:48 AM
i have seen the photos of keira before. so it is true, she is so thin. i thought she was doubled by someone on that particular scene.

for keira, please eat well...thank you.

swansonben
27-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Im glad she won, I think she is just skinny and doesnt have a problem.

candy_apple
03-06-2007, 01:22 AM
She is obviously not anorexic, she has too much muscle, anorexic ppl tend to lose muscle before fat due to starvation. Also in those pictures posted, if u see her in the outfit she wore to the Pirates of the Caribbean one premier, the belly top outfit, u can see she has a six pack there, she once said she gets it from her Mom, aslo she has been saying in recent interviews that she has began working out so she can stay fit, probz since her recent roles have been in action movies, and staying fit is easier then two month long intensive fitness training. OK then.

Cirindius
03-06-2007, 02:38 AM
I'm absolutely terrified of people who are aneroxic. There really isn't a need to be starving yourself to be a size -1 or whatever size you want to be. Eat healthy and exercise. All that Atkins diet and whatnots is just going to be breaking your body in time and whatever made you think that being a bag of bones is .. remotely sexy..? :puke: It's fine to be slim and stuff but steer clear of having eating disorders. Food, enjoy it.

keira9876
03-06-2007, 04:59 AM
Plus Anorexic people look ill, and Keira looks very bright, sunny and healthy.

I do think that that is right.keira is thin but not nasty thin she is realy prity and smart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_bigg

Scotsworth
03-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Good thing Keira won...sometimes I think she looks too thin in some pictures, but that's just her body type.

MishanyaMSKK
03-06-2007, 08:07 AM
who knows her weight in kilos?

Leonie
03-06-2007, 09:50 AM
No one does. Most magazines engage in random guessing.

I don't think you can guess anyone's weight like that though. People always get mine wrong by about 5 to 10 kilos. I'm very muscly, and in addition, I have heavy bones. I know that is a standard excuse, but my mum was once in a medical study, and she was actually told that she's got really big, heavy bones. We are guessing it's passed on.

Nobody knows, and I think Keira may be heavier than a lot of the magazines assume she is. After all, she's also a very muscly girl, and muscles weigh more than most other tissue.

rani
03-06-2007, 11:35 AM
may this not backfire against her.

publicity business needs some stories. public figures should not be too sensitive.

i love keira. but i do not want to see people serving jail sentence neither pay for the price because of one's concern.

candy_apple
03-06-2007, 11:24 PM
may this not backfire against her.

publicity business needs some stories. public figures should not be too sensitive.

i love keira. but i do not want to see people serving jail sentence neither pay for the price because of one's concern.

The media in this case shouldn't get sympathy, I agree with what others have been saying about how the media grade ppl down for being even slightly over weight, but then criticizes ppl for like being too thin. What r they looking for, if your thin the media is against u, but if your bigger then a size two they're against u, what is there drama, seriously.

Scotsworth
04-06-2007, 06:56 AM
The media just loves to speculate about everything...and just because Keira is not "average size" (whatever that is), they call her anorexic. They do it just to sell newspapers/magazines and make money...it's quite pathetic.

candy_apple
04-06-2007, 09:55 PM
The media just loves to speculate about everything...and just because Keira is not "average size" (whatever that is), they call her anorexic. They do it just to sell newspapers/magazines and make money...it's quite pathetic.

Yh, it's very pathetic, your right there.