PDA

View Full Version : Internet Personalities

barrington
28-11-2006, 04:57 PM
The popularity of the internet as a means of communication is truly amazing.

When you consider that you are posting yourself on a world stage that can be accessed by anyone, it's amazing many people still do it. This begs the question of whether people are more or less themselves on the internet?

For all you know I could have a giant panda affixed to the side of my head (the person I send to the OMGWTFKKWBBQs is but a man I employ for public appearances) but they will still honour this post with as much credence as any other. The internet allows us to meet and talk irrespective of any physical differences.

So are people more or less like themselves on the internet?

Mandy
28-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Can I get that guy's number??

Proven by certain people of this community already, people aren't always themselves which makes e-dating completely stupid and pointless. The only real proof that someone is physically them is by webcam, and you never have proof that someone is actually who they are mentally until you have met them.

In other words, brad fess up..you're not really that sexy are you?

DanMan
28-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Mandy seems to have developed quite a fixation. :icon_date

I know there are people who assume opposite genders, persuasions,
and say lots of things just for shock value that they really dont believe.
I on the other hand am just my old boring self. Sorry about that.
I am not interested in being something Im not. Its the falseness
of the concept that prevents me from enjoying the prank(s).
Now acting would be different when everyone knew I was acting.

Then again I could be lying to you right now! Maybe Im a 58 year old
woman wearing 10 year old spandex, smoking my fav cigar, and drinking
myself blind because I just found out I gained another 10 pounds. :icon_surp

ryan
28-11-2006, 09:18 PM
varies person to person. ive met loads of people off the internet.

i will, however, say that most are more outgoing and confrontational behind the keyboard.
translation: less shit talking in real life. take that comfort zone away from them and they tend to be a bit nicer.

Mandy
28-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I think ryan just invented the definition of Hazzle. :icon_razz

hasselbrad
29-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Can I get that guy's number??

Proven by certain people of this community already, people aren't always themselves which makes e-dating completely stupid and pointless. The only real proof that someone is physically them is by webcam, and you never have proof that someone is actually who they are mentally until you have met them.

In other words, brad fess up..you're not really that sexy are you?

You caught me.
I tend to be pretty opinionated in real life too. Angry and bitter. :p

Mandy
29-11-2006, 12:34 AM
:-o You could actually be a democrat in REAL LIFE!

hasselbrad
29-11-2006, 12:38 AM
:-o You could actually be a democrat in REAL LIFE!

That's just mean.

Although, I used to be...before I started paying taxes.

ryan
29-11-2006, 12:43 AM
That's just mean.

Although, I used to be...before I started paying taxes.

sounds like all of the "democrats" on campus here, who don't have to work or pay their own tuition....or have to mess with any of those silly little things called taxes.
fools....they'll learn when they enter reality.

Digital_Ice
29-11-2006, 10:10 PM
most give a more outgoing and confrontational impression behind the keyboard.

confrontational? i think alcohol does that to the Danes....

deviljet88
29-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Outgoing I agree with, I just find it so much easier to familiarize yourself with someone on the internet than real life... which is a total suck at social events. Confrontational, haha poor suppressed people...

EmotionSickness
30-11-2006, 12:30 AM
No one's as big of a douche in person as they are online. Except maybe Harry Knowles.

Foeni
30-11-2006, 11:37 AM
confrontational? i think alcohol does that to the Danes....
I didn't know you knew any Danes but me....

Hang on a second, you mean me???? ;)

acliff
07-12-2006, 03:50 AM
I'm told I'm nicer and kinder in real life. Like a fluffy kitten. Would anyone like to verify?

barrington
07-12-2006, 12:54 PM
No.
But after those pictures this morning I've just realised that you're gay. So maybe it's true. I'm sure you can dig out my quote somewhere.

michael22
07-12-2006, 09:50 PM
My internet personality reflects me- loud annoying and dumb. It is very hard to fake inteelligene and wisdom

seventhson
08-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Sorry if it disapoints or surprises anyone that I am just exactly the same 42 year old, conservative right-wing catholic Christian, undesirable, degected & unwanted seperated, almost-ex-huband who cannot put together enough self-esteem to find any real friends in his sad world, as I come off as on-line and would be a bigger disappointment to y'all if I were seen in person or via a web-cam. My christmas beard is growing in with alot more gray wiskers this year & don't know if a web-cam could give that scary detail.

AureaMediocritas
08-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Sorry if it disapoints or ...

Always remember that as a Westerner it is impossible to have absolutely no
friends at all... Jack Daniels, Mister Smirnoff... You have to pay them, but they
are your friends, never deserting you, making you happy from the INSIDE ;) .

As for the topic, I think internet personalities are always a bit different from
real life personalities... That screen, the virtual, the anonymity... You dare
more ! And it has lesser consequences when you fuck up with somebody than
in real life. And you cannot hit somebody in the shins when you disagree.

seventhson
10-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Always remember that as a Westerner it is impossible to have absolutely no
friends at all... Jack Daniels, Mister Smirnoff... You have to pay them, but they
are your friends, never deserting you, making you happy from the INSIDE ;).

Many find comfort with liquid friends like that, but alas, consuming alchoholic beverages is not an option for me due to a possible lethal adverse medical reaction to alchohol. I choose not to die. Tea is as hard of a drink my condition allows...mmm, water.

Fancyman
14-12-2006, 02:25 AM
I think the major difference between the me on the intenet and the me in real life is the time I am able to spend before talking. A real coversation is more genuine because your response is an imediate reaction. Online you read and contemplate. You can take an extra minute to make sure your statement is solid, or to make a comment a little more clever. I like to think I'm quick witted in real life, but perhaps I'm not quite as charming as you all think I am ;)

P.S. You won't see me post a new pic til I drop the 10 pounds I'ved gained over the last 5 months, so I suppose that is fake of me.