PDA

View Full Version : The reason for obesity in the US?

runangl
23-11-2006, 04:57 PM
So I was thinking about this wonderful holiday we celebrate here in the states, and I realized:

A holiday devoted to sitting on your ass in front of a tv and stuffing your face until it hurts, and then going for another round. And then eating pie. And you obviously didn't eat enough if you can stand up and not hold your stomach.

Is the US the only country with a nationwide holiday devoted pretty much to stuffing your face? Is this the mentality that makes so many obese?

On that note:

Happy Thanksgiving KKW! =D

Mandy
23-11-2006, 09:21 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking about 2 minutes before I saw the thread. I actually didn't stuff myself this year because I wasn't in the mood to spontaneously combust.

I am about to eat some pie though.

AureaMediocritas
23-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Maybe it is a kind of ancient tradition, to survive the next winter. Go for it.
:icon_popc

ryan
24-11-2006, 12:58 AM
eating excessively one day out of the year is hardly going to cause obesity.

doing it four times a week, however...

you should blame mcdonalds.

michael22
24-11-2006, 03:22 AM
you are forgeting canada where both thanksgiving days are sometimes celebrated plus robbie burns and saint andrews day.

Arbery
26-11-2006, 11:19 AM
i stuff myself silly every christmas but i dont get fat. Though i have eaten 4 filthy kings (burger king) this week...not good!

seventhson
01-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Please don't hate me because I'm thin. I think I have the metabolism of a humming bird or something. Eat all I want & still weigh a few pounds less than my "ideal weight" for my hight. Hope it aint a sign of a health problem. I feel good. mmm, pie

Jacoby
01-12-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised college life hasn't made me obese. I have all the fried foods and deserts available to me at the cafeteria, but I eat pretty healthy. And there's a gym on campus, so I work out now, too. Usually Freshman gain 8-15 pounds. I've lost 9 so far. I'm at 191. I want to be at 185 though, so I have a little bit more to go.

Thanksgiving didn't help too much. I ate a shitload.

Richard
01-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm surprised college life hasn't made me obese. I have all the fried foods and deserts available to me at the cafeteria, but I eat pretty healthy. And there's a gym on campus, so I work out now, too. Usually Freshman gain 8-15 pounds. I've lost 9 so far. I'm at 191. I want to be at 185 though, so I have a little bit more to go.

Thanksgiving didn't help too much. I ate a shitload.

I weigh 125. I've been known to eat fast food on a daily bases, but, somehow, I never seem to gain weight anymore. My metabolism is astounding!

Jacoby
01-12-2006, 08:13 PM
You're lucky, meng.

I don't know, my metabolism just kind of stopped when I turned 18. If I sit and do nothing I get fat. It was starting to happen, and it scared me, so I started running.