PDA

View Full Version : Crikey! Is this really happening right now?

EmotionSickness
04-09-2006, 07:43 AM
What the..? (http://www.cairnsnewspapers.com.au/localnews/detail.asp?aid=304)

A stingray barb to the heart? Is that even possible?

devine kk
04-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Yes it would appear so; I heard it on the radio on the way to work.

Very sad occasion he was a great bloke (mad but great). My sympathies go out to his family.

acliff
04-09-2006, 08:20 AM
What the..? (http://www.cairnsnewspapers.com.au/localnews/detail.asp?aid=304)

A stingray barb to the heart? Is that even possible?

Crikey.
A sad way to go for someone who wrestles crocodiles and annoys snakes for a living.

Arbery
04-09-2006, 10:30 AM
bloody hell thats a bit of a shock. I never thought he'd get killed by an animal! Thats crazy :(

kingdumbass
04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
The irony is that he wrestled crocodiles and handled poisonous snakes for years, and yet he was killed by a stingray, an animal that rarely kills humans....

Leonie
04-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Apparently he's the third person in Australian history to die because of a sting ray. I heard it on the radio on the bus: the whole bus just went "Nooo!" "Are you serious?" "But!"... He's like super-Aussie over here.

Strange thought to have him go cause of some fluke accident when he's been taunting faith forever... And very sad for his wife and children of course.

Liam
04-09-2006, 10:58 AM
He is only the third person in Australia to be killed by a stingray barb to the chest. It may not have actually pierced his heart: if its that close to the heart it gets increasingly likely that an extreme allergic reaction to the venom will take place.

I'll actually miss him. He is a guy I would have loved to have met and had a beer with.

Ironically, he was filming a documentary about how stingrays are misunderstood and not as dangerous as people thought. A sad way to go for a true professional; an ambassador, and a courageous and brave man.

RIP Steve.

kingdumbass
04-09-2006, 11:22 AM
At some point, just about everyone has made fun of Steve Irwin, but it was usually good-natured....
He was a little insane, but you could tell that he wasn't an asshole. I'm sorry he's gone.

And I wonder what will happen to the stingray.

deviljet88
04-09-2006, 12:56 PM
At 2nd last period, some people were going, OMFG Steve Irwin's a ghost now, which left me going wtf for a while but by the end of the school day, the clear version of the news had got around in the corridors... Sad stuff, less lively bunch of Aussie celebs without him.

ryan
04-09-2006, 01:00 PM
you still have mel gibson...

Violet
04-09-2006, 01:36 PM
I heard through good ol' MSN. When my friend told me, I jokingly said, 'What, eaten by a crocodile, was he?' but was shocked when I realised he actually had died.

bloody hell thats a bit of a shock. I never thought he'd get killed by an animal! Thats crazy :(
Are you serious? The amount of times he's put himself in those situations, I'm surprised this hasn't come sooner. All those times when watching the program you'd think, "No way! He would have died!" He had sort of become immortal in the eyes of the public. This was certainly a reality check and a half.

The irony is that he wrestled crocodiles and handled poisonous snakes for years, and yet he was killed by a stingray, an animal that rarely kills humans....
Exactly what I thought when I heard the news. Tragic, and a great loss to Aussie celebritydom.

Arbery
04-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I heard through good ol' MSN. When my friend told me, I jokingly said, 'What, eaten by a crocodile, was he?' but was shocked when I realised he actually had died.

Are you serious? The amount of times he's put himself in those situations, I'm surprised this hasn't come sooner. All those times when watching the program you'd think, "No way! He would have died!" He had sort of become immortal in the eyes of the public. This was certainly a reality check and a half.

Exactly what I thought when I heard the news. Tragic, and a great loss to Aussie celebritydom.

i was shocked he died by an animal cause of how long he'd spent with them ya know. I thought he'd never get killed by one...esp a stringray...thats jus pure bad luck! But still, i thought he'd keep me entertained on sunday afternoons until he died of old age!

Did anyone ever watch that film the crocodile hunter he did? So low budget and cheesy...but it was just awesome!

deviljet88
04-09-2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20352599-2,00.html

Tasteless but.

Violet
04-09-2006, 03:00 PM
i was shocked he died by an animal cause of how long he'd spent with them ya know. I thought he'd never get killed by one...esp a stringray...thats jus pure bad luck! But still, i thought he'd keep me entertained on sunday afternoons until he died of old age!
I guess that's a fair assumption. It is somewhat miraculous that he managed to survive so much, hence the immortal state he seemed to achieve to his fans. But I had always been one for a slightly sceptical view of his shows, so it was not so much of a surprise to me. But fair point.

calereneau
04-09-2006, 03:04 PM
He died doing what he loved. I could think of no better way to send him off!

RIP, bud. Your movie was awful, but the show will always be classic!

Arbery
04-09-2006, 03:23 PM
He died doing what he loved. I could think of no better way to send him off!

RIP, bud. Your movie was awful, but the show will always be classic!

I can gaurentee you all his shows will be on within the next 2 weeks as well as a tribute show...which'll be pretty damn awesome! Although to be honest i prolly watched all his shows anyway...

Jacoby
04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
And I wonder what will happen to the stingray.

Gas chamber.

He seemed like a great guy. It's a shame.

Swordsman
04-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Wow, i always thought Steve Irwin would just live forever. I never thought nature would kill the guy. That's like music killing Bruce Springsteen.

Leah
05-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Wow, i always thought Steve Irwin would just live forever. I never thought nature would kill the guy. That's like music killing Bruce Springsteen.

Agreed. I heard and I almost started to cry and I'm not even joking.

Scott
05-09-2006, 04:55 AM
Crikey! Right through the ticker!

Hazzle
05-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I know Aussies who think he was an embarassment. Of course they still feel for his young family, but they maintain he was common as muck and incredibly chavvy. He was a bit of a dick, really, I don't think him dying should stop me saying that as I always thought he was, even when alive.

It was only a matter of time and that clip of him feeding a croc with his baby under one arm was Michael Jackson-esque in its stupidity. That said, he leaves behind a young family, including that baby, so his death, whilst hardly a shock (given that he made a living out of instigating creatures to attack, rather than filming them naturally like the BBC does) is nonetheless tragic.

That wikipedia thing is sick. Fucking cunts, have some class.

acliff
05-09-2006, 08:27 AM
I know Aussies who think he was an embarassment. Of course they still feel for his young family, but they maintain he was common as muck and incredibly chavvy. He was a bit of a dick, really, I don't think him dying should stop me saying that as I always thought he was, even when alive.

It was only a matter of time and that clip of him feeding a croc with his baby under one arm was Michael Jackson-esque in its stupidity. That said, he leaves behind a young family, including that baby, so his death, whilst hardly a shock (given that he made a living out of instigating creatures to attack, rather than filming them naturally like the BBC does) is nonetheless tragic.

Theres always one person on every Steve Irwin thread on the internet where someone goes, 'he's dead but that shouldn't stop me from saying he was a dick' I wish people would show enough respect to wait at least a week (arbitary period of time) before saying anything bad about who seemed to me to be a pretty decent human being, a pretty decent dad (despite the croc incident) and probably a better, kinder man than you and I.

I group such disrespect with such comments like:
"I know Pricess Di died yesterday, but I always thought that she shouldn't have been such a slut"
"Condolences, but seriously if you didn't feed him so goddamn much maybe the bungee cord wouldn't have snapped"

(The above is funny, but imagine if you said it a day or two after the event)

Leonie
05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Jesus Haz, you're a cunt.

I was about to say the same thing: the fact that you have always thought something about someone doesn't mean you can't show even the tiniest bit of respect. The man died. Please just shut the fuck up for at least a week or so. Then go and never talk about him like you did when he was still alive.

Not to mention that I couldn't disagree more with your statement in the first place, of course.

Liam
05-09-2006, 10:53 AM

At times, I'll admit I thought he was going a bit far with the whole accent and dance caper. But it doesnt change the fact that I'm absolutely fucking gutted that the guy is gone. I can't explain it, but I am. And so are most of the people who felt embarrassed at some point by his antics. I'd go as far as saying any Australian who wasnt moved by what happened is heartless.

The baby-crocodile thing was a monumental fuck up on his part, but at least he was man enough to come forward, get on TV and tell the world what he thought of himself for doing it. His death was sadly captured on film, and the film as reviewed by police clears Irwin of ever harassing the animal. It was a freak accident, plain and simple.

The fact that he pulled the stingray's spine out of his chest himself before he was dragged from the water only shows his immense courage. That he died in front of a camera, trying to show that the stingray was a harmless, misunderstood creature, only makes the whole affair more sad.

Leonie
05-09-2006, 10:57 AM
On that note, Lacy, you're not the only one. I just felt sick.

I've never met the man, now I never will, and I never had the intention to, but he seemed like someone with his heart in the right place. It's a damn shame he's gone.

I don't know why exactly, but it makes me sad.

Hazzle
05-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Don't confuse respect with dishonesty. We have such an appalling attitude towards death, if someone dies immediately they're sanctified. Dying does not in any way change what someone did during their lives. You mentioned Dianna, and I maintain that I hate the way she's been sanctified after her death. She did some good, some bad, just like everyone. Praise her for the good she did, by all means, but rightly criticise her for the bad. I don't think doing so is "disrespectful", regardless of the timing. As it was, my statement was tame, so climb down off your high horses.

I'd say acting in the manner you suggest is far more disrespectful than calling a spade a spade. It's suggestive of the fact that the only thing Irwin did of any worth was dying, because apparently him dying is supposed to alter anyone's view of him. That, to me, is distasteful, far more so than saying "It's a sad thing for his family, but I won't pretend I liked him when he was alive as that would be dishonest". If I'd taken pleasure in his death you'd have a point, but since I didn't, your posts are both offensive. The fact is, Steve is a respected conservationist, and nothing I've said takes away from that. He leaves a legacy of a man who genuinely cared about the animals he worked with.

Decency and sympathy for his family shouldn't be confused with "respect for the dead" and my not showing Irwin "respect" doesn't mean I'm behaving indecently. For example I've been sent a lot of very distasteful jokes about Irwin's death, do you see me posting any of them here? I haven't even laughed at them, because they're distasteful. There's nothing funny about his death. I said his death was tragic, and I maintain that. At least I can say my sentiments are honest and heartfelt. I respect Liam for recognising that in no way was I "disrespecting" anyone.

kingdumbass
05-09-2006, 11:22 AM
I checked out his IMDB message board a few hours ago, and it was full of assholes gloating that they are glad he's dead....
Fucking savages.

It's obvious that Steve Irwin believed in what he did, and cared deeply about issues like conservation. Even if you disagree with his methods, I think you've got to respect that fact that he had an effect in his own way.

And, oddly enough, I always found his wife kind of hot. I don't know why, but I usually would only watch The Crocodile Hunter for her. What can I say? I'm a weird bastard.

Leonie
05-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I think you are the one confusing respect and dishonesty.

Keeping mum out of compassion with his family, friends and people who never met him but felt connected to him in some way or another isn't dishonest, unless, prior to his death, it was your one goal in life to persuade everyone that Steve Irwin was a horrible person. It wasn't, you never talked about him. Keep it up. By choosing to keep your views to yourself until the man is under six feet of soil, you show respect for life, and for a man who wasn't perfect. Don't start throwing stones unless you can't be faulted.

He was a bit of a clown, and I'm not calling him a saint. However, I'm not taking this opportunity to bash him either.

Calling a spade a spade is stating a fact. I think even you wouldn't be self-righteous enough to promote your opinion to the status of fact.

Hazzle
05-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Fuck off. I didn't post to "bash him", that's just your interpretation of it. I realise perhaps you need someone to vent at as you're upset, so I'll cut you a little slack, but I haven't done what you're suggesting I have, and I'm offended at the suggestion. I'm incredibly angered by it, in fact.

I was posting that his death was tragic, though not surprising, and that I had sympathy for his family. I also posted that the Wikipedia defacing was disgusting. Instead you choose to focus on one line. You called him a "clown", that's not disrespectful, yet I chose the word "dick" to symbolise the exact same behaviour and I am?

As it happens you're also wrong in assuming I never talked about him previously. I remember talking to Liam about the accent once because someone suggested Liam sounded like him (not that I agree). I haven't posted about him on here, as far as I'm aware, as I had no reason to. Now I do. I was using a thread about his death to express my thoughts and give my condolences. I have consistently called his death a tragedy, and have taken no pleasure from it, nor "bashed" him.

I realise that whilst I'm owed an apology, one won't be forthcoming, but kindly stop suggesting I've said anything I haven't. I haven't disrespected him in any way.

Self-righteous? Is there really any call for insults? And actually you're wrong. Calling a spade a spade merely means "Speak frankly and bluntly, be explicit". That's what I did.

Leonie
05-09-2006, 11:40 AM
#1: I never said you bashed him. I was pointing out two extremes: calling someone a saint, and bashing who he was. If you choose to take offence from that, that's your own decision.

#2: You do realise that you are doing the exact same thing that angered you incredibly about my post? You took two words, out of context, and decided to take offence. Again, that's your own decision.

#3: Clown, to my mind, is a positive term, displaying affection for the silliness of another. I wouldn't put dick under the same heading.

#4: I take it a smiley wouldn't have gone amiss after that self-righteousness comment. You are the one joking about yourself most of everyone, so I thought you'd be able to take it for what it was: a joke. I still emphasise that this is hardly the time to speak bluntly. If I remember correctly, you once started a thread about whether or not honesty was really always the best policy. I believe the outcome was "only when packed in a box labelled tact."

The End.

Hazzle
05-09-2006, 11:52 AM
1) The implication is that I was behaving at one of the extreme. Whereas I would say I was operating in the middle. It all comes down to that one word, "dick", because everything else I said was entirely nonoffensive.

2) I'm not offended by that. I merely pointed out there was no call to call me self-righteous. Especially I was quite tempted to refer to your attitude as the same, but decided it was wrong to start an unnecessary argument in a thread like this. Calling me a "cunt" in the first place was uncalled for, Cliff put what you said in a far less offensive way. Perhaps the source of the attack was what surprised me, as I half-expect Cliff to call me a cunt, but I expected (perhaps wrongly) more from you.

3) Clown is an offensive term in my mind. If you called me one, I'd consider it an insult, and no worse or better than "dick". Dick, to me, is a relatively innocuous term relating to someone who's a bit silly. This, perhaps, is where the English language both divides and unites. "Cunt" for example, when I say it to Cliff or Ice, isn't offensive. Yet when you called me one, clearly you meant it in a derogatory way.

4) I don't believe I acted tactlessly. In context what I said was inoffensive. Perhaps I should've added a frown smiley to show I thought his death was tragic? I thought by now people would know me better than that. In fact above any "jokes" or words you chose to use, the most offensive thing you said was the underlying accusation that I was in some way behaving indecently, especially in light of that Wikipedia thing. To bunch me in with those sorts of people is disgusting.

The fact is, Steve is a respected conservationist, and nothing I've said takes away from that. He leaves a legacy of a man who genuinely cared about the animals he worked with.

I felt that was worthy of being quoted in light of my apparent "disrespect".

Excellent article on Steve Irwin in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/story/0,,1865357,00.html

What was never in doubt, even to his detractors, was the genuine love and sincerity behind the high energy style, which enthralled and engaged so many younger viewers.

deviljet88
05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Common as muck? Instigating creatures to attack when the primary aim of his documentaries is to show how harmless these creatures are? Weird. I'd have to give you the embarassment point but then again, would he have attracted as high a fan base in America without being an over the top stereotype of an Australian.. The amount of attention he's generated for Australia and it's wildlife.. definitely agree with Liam on the heartless point.

acliff
05-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Haz, you take offense to being called self righteous, but doesn't that pretty much sum up your character?
Its like when I used to consider being called a boffin an insult...

Its likely I am far more self righteous than you will ever be, but unlike you I smother it in a huge layer of this tact that they're talking about.

From my understanding tact is sensitivity to whats proper and acceptable to the people that you're speaking to and thus speaking without offending. You were obviously tactless, as people were offended. That pretty much cannot be argued. It might be the case that your audience are particularly prudish that you cannot speak freely without appearing tactless, but having spent lots of time here, I would have thought you'd have a good idea the level of acceptance.

I can't believe that you posted that without knowing that parts of it would cause offense, particularly the previous posters who appeared upset at the news. I wouldn't associate you with the wikipedia spammers, and the celebrators, as in their company you'd appear rather tame and caring. And a wuss.

Hazzle
05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I didn't take offence at it being called self-righteous. Merely pointed out that it was uncalled for. Much as "cunt" was earlier.

Your "level of acceptance" point is noted, but it's flawed. I could retort that having spent lots of time here, I would have thought people would understand that the term "dick" in my vernacular is incredibly tame. I use the term "cunt" pretty freely, often as a term of endearment. In that contex, then, the prudishness of the audience is the problem, not my lack of tact.

I actually hadn't read the rest of the thread, as I'd read a 4 page thread of virtually the same sort of stuff already on another site, so no, I had no idea that my post would cause offence. Funnily enough they were a lot more scathing of Irwin, and it was the Australians who were the quickest to start making quips about it. Perhaps that's where my sensitivities were tuned in to a different audience, and since I hadn't read the thread, I hadn't had ample chance to re-assess. Needless to say, if I had expected to cause this level of offence, I'd have not posted it. I'm not the most tactful person, this is true, but I posted having thought that it was fair and balanced.

Having said all that, in retrospect, having read that Guardian article, I feel vindicated, as the actual points I made were, by and large, in that article. A balanced article written by a professional journalist. The only difference is the words used, and perhaps my choice of words upset sensibilities, but that would have more to do with the audience being unduly sensitive rather than me being unduly vulgar. My language was actually toned down in comparison to my regular offerings. By now you'd think people would be used to it.

I'd feel guilty if I wasn't so quickly rounded on, but ultimately I was fair and balanced.

acliff
05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
In times of grief, people band together to release their built up emotion.
You work well as a scapegoat, being small, brown and hairy. :P

(Consider that an invitation to call me a chink or similar at any point in the next year)

hasselbrad
05-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I heard about it while gassing up the car on the way back from Atlanta. They have these little televisions at the pump, and I damn near poured gas on my shoes when I heard it.
Bizarre.

Ranman
05-09-2006, 03:52 PM
I thought that Croc ate him in Dr. Doolittle2

RIP, I hope your Drinking a beer and putting plenty
of shrimp on the barbie in the great beyond.

Renegade
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
It's a real shame that he's passed away, especially since he's leaving behind his 8 and 3 year old. That was the first thought that popped into my head when I first heard the news.

Liam
05-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Looks as though that Germaine Greer she-beast has written some tasteless tirade.

"There was no habitat, no matter how fragile or finely balanced, that Irwin hesitated to barge into," she wrote. "Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress."

"The animal world has finally taken its revenge, but probably not before a whole generation of kids in shorts seven sizes too small has learned to shout in the ears of animals with hearing 10 times more acute than theirs, determined to become millionaire animal-loving zoo owners in their turn."

I notice that she is writing that pap in London, thousands of miles from the outpouring of grief at home. Stay there, you good for nothing scumbag.

Feminists should stick to what they know and keep their mouths shut about things they dont. It will be interesting to see the vast 'outpouring' of grief when she finally shuffles off her mortal coil, thats for sure.

allied_assult
05-09-2006, 09:11 PM
RIP Stevey :wave:

EmotionSickness
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I knew it was only a matter of time (hours) before assholes opened their big mouths. Some guy (some Aussie, I forget who) basically said Irwin made a living out of harrassing animals and he wouldn't miss him. Feed him to the crocs, please.

I'm actually reading now that he died because he tried to pull the barb out (something you should never do, as the edges are serrated and it does much more damage coming out than going in), but I'm sure he just panicked. It's just really, really bizarre and tragic and quite sickening, really. I hate that he's gone. And I hate even more that people are trying to say it was his own fault - he was just swimming over the fucking thing, that's all.

Also, I really hope they destroy that footage.

Leah
06-09-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't think it's fair to say he's been "sanctified" as you put it. The man wasn't. But he was on the other hand recognized for his accomplishments and his mistakes were blended into that opinion but they don't much matter as he was a great man. I'll speak for myself here, but he was my childhood hero and I know he was to many others also. He gave kids insight into a world we'd never even seen before. What Steve did was virtually non existant here in the states and as he's said before he likes to think of himself as a warrior for the animals and that's what he was. He hasn't been sanctified because he died and he isn't period but he was a great and inspirational man.

EmotionSickness
06-09-2006, 01:33 AM
I don't think it's fair to say he's been "sanctified" as you put it. The man wasn't. But he was on the other hand recognized for his accomplishments and his mistakes were blended into that opinion but they don't much matter as he was a great man. I'll speak for myself here, but he was my childhood hero and I know he was to many others also. He gave kids insight into a world we'd never even seen before. What Steve did was virtually non existant here in the states and as he's said before he likes to think of himself as a warrior for the animals and that's what he was. He hasn't been sanctified because he died and he isn't period but he was a great and inspirational man.

We Texans are so smart. Well put.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42047000/jpg/_42047206_irwindaughter_pa.jpg

Rest in peace, buddy.

I'm waiting for the Crocodile Hunter marathon.

Leah
06-09-2006, 01:45 AM
And the stereotype is that Texans are hick, horse-riding, dumb asses. How incorrect.

Kathleen
06-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Its just so unbeleivably unfair that he died. There are people around who don't deserve life, Steve does and he had a wonderful life. He would have continued on with his extensive conservation efforts and his family life. Anyone who saw them on tv for the smallest amount of time could tell how much love and pride they all had for each other, especially his daughter Bindi. What an awful few days it must have been for them.

If only people could be more like Steve Irwin; such a passionate, considerate, genuine, loving and loved man. I will always feel sorrow and anger that such an amazing person was robbed of his life so early. Taken away from his family who were his whole world, and all that he had worked for.

The world truly lost a treasure.

http://static.flickr.com/33/64053543_478db0de7e_m.jpg

http://www.ansa.it/fdgimages05/1157362446_v_in_AUST_20060904.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42047000/jpg/_42047206_irwindaughter_pa.jpg

RIP Steve Irwin, thankyou for inspiring us and we will never forget you.

http://www.smh.com.au/

Swordsman
07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
Just a little fun article.

www.bornbackwards.com (http://www.bornbackwards.com)

This is the website where i get my news!

Liam
07-09-2006, 06:24 AM
Is that amusing?

Christ.

Leah
07-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah well your "news" page has some facts that are incorrect. Might wanna get your facts elsewhere.

Swordsman
08-09-2006, 02:36 AM
Wow, i really wasn't expecting those kind of replies. It's just a lot of sarcasm.... i mean....did you even read....seriously?

Leonie
08-09-2006, 03:41 AM
I just find the irony of his death sad, not a source of amusement. I'm normally all for the sarcasm, but dude, he died.

Liam
08-09-2006, 06:33 AM
I want to know what gives these tactless motherfuckers the gall to write that pap on their website, hiding behind a veil of anonymity.

Not only were 100% of his 'facts' wrong, its also completely devoid of any humour whatsoever. Its almost as if the author feels that using a few variations of the word 'fucking' is amusing. 'Fucking' in normal text? Cop this! Italics!

Sad.

Leah
08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
yeah I think it's been put well before me. He isn't living anymore. He is dead. He left behind a loving family and mourning fans. Sarcasm is more than a little disrespectful now.

Digital_Ice
08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
the guy rocked. end of story

hreh, chalk one up for the fans of steve;
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1945368730233675374

Swordsman
09-09-2006, 04:23 AM
Hehe, that shit got me. I don't know if i'm gonna get in trouble for sayin' this but, Liam you can shove it. Phil's a good friend of mine, and being forced to look at it twice made me notice it's not even sarcasm! He's just talking about how cool and badass he was. I mean did everyone know him personally? It's sad he left a family behind but Phil's just talking about how cool Steve Irwin was. Did anyone even read the name of this thread?! It says "Crikey!" something you'd giggle after!! DAMMIT!

EmotionSickness
09-09-2006, 04:30 AM
Hey, don't drag me into this. I think it was pretty obvious that my title was meant as an homage; I wasn't poking fun. After all, how can you hear or read that word and not think of Steve in a positive way?

Mandy
09-09-2006, 04:35 AM
I know you didn't just tell Liam to "shove it."

Liam
09-09-2006, 05:11 AM
Its a free country and I dont care what you think of me.

But I think the article is shit.

Swordsman
10-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Liam, i don't think you're a douche or anything, i was just defending my friend. But he was just trying to get some people to smile and laugh a little. He didn't mean to make anyone angry or anything. I mean read any of the other articles on that website, hell just a caption, and you'd see that it's all just about fun.

Leah
12-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Your friend is not very good at making people smile and laugh.

Swordsman
12-09-2006, 02:51 AM
Well, i know everytime i read the title "Very Stupid Man Honored To Cup President's Balls ", i laugh. So...just cram it up your ass Leah.

Leonie
12-09-2006, 02:56 AM
No need to get vulgar, sir. You like this dude, some people disagree. Deal with it and move on, buddy.

Swordsman
12-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeah, i'm being a douche.

All over desks in school people wrote "RIP Steve Irwin". I'm pretty sure there's one a desk in everyone of my classes.

Leah
13-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Well that's silly, did any one at your school even know Steve? I mourn him but I'm not going to screw perfectly good desks with my wishes of him.

Swordsman
13-09-2006, 12:46 AM
It doesn't matter, it's the same desks our school has been using since the 1980s. Except in the new wing, we always get caught when we try to mess with those. Everyone knows who Steve Irwin is. I don't know how you don't.

Liam
13-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Now it seems that PETA are on board the Greer bandwagon, labelling Irwin a 'cheap reality TV star'. Still, I'd expect nothing less from this band of hypocritical good for nothings.

Spokesman Dan Matthews said Irwin's death was "no shock at all".

"He made his career out of antagonising frightened wild animals," Mr Matthews said. "That's a very dangerous message to send to children."

A dangerous message? A proper example of a dangerous message is getting brain dead and/or washed up 'celebrities' to talk up your cause. Celebrities have no purpose in life other than to be a celebrity and to rake in money to spend on themselves.

Irwin emphasised EVERY time he appeared how each animal was dangerous and told kids emphatically not to attempt to copy his actions. He put every cent he earned back into conservation and wildlife research. He didn't spend millions of dollars on bullshit propaganda campaigns featuring washed up celebrities poorly reading an autocue.

This irks me. These are the sort of people who complain about air quality and pollution in the public eye, then jump in their gas guzzling SUV and drive home to their air conditioned mansions which each consume the power of a small town. These frauds need to find something else to do.

Leonie
13-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Spokesman Dan Matthews said Irwin's death was "no shock at all".

"He made his career out of antagonising frightened wild animals," Mr Matthews said. "That's a very dangerous message to send to children."

I completely agree with the man. It's very dangerous to show children that there are people who take "antagonised, frightened" dangerous crocs out of their environment, and put them somewhere they won't bother people so they get to live on like happy little croc.

Idiot.

Leah
14-09-2006, 11:56 PM
It doesn't matter, it's the same desks our school has been using since the 1980s. Except in the new wing, we always get caught when we try to mess with those. Everyone knows who Steve Irwin is. I don't know how you don't.

I meant that it seems frivolous to make such an uproar about someone they don't know PERSONALLY. Um duh I know WHO he is, I've been fighting with you about it.

Swordsman
15-09-2006, 01:22 AM
He's just a cool guy, so we wrote on the desks... and to write on a desk doesn't really cause an uproar. We all knew who he was and that he was a BAMF ass dude. Apparently in a spanish class someone drew something very elaborate for him.

EmotionSickness
19-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I h.a.t.e. P.E.T.A.

acliff
19-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I h.a.t.e. P.E.T.A.

I don't trust an organisation with Pamela Anderson as the figurehead.
An icon of great hypocrisy, as she's been torturing her own beaver for years.

Kathleen
20-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Did anyone just watch his memorial on TV at the Australia Zoo? That was amazing, such a good tribute. The songs were beautiful, the speeches were too - especially Bindi's. It was all very touching.

Leonie
20-09-2006, 04:40 AM
God... Bindi was adorable. And I felt so so sorry for Terri.

Bit of a change from the over the top thing in Melbourne for Brock yesterday.

EmotionSickness
01-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Yet another reason to hate Bill Maher. What a fucking dolt.

http://perezhilton.com/bilmaherhalloween.jpg

:(

hasselbrad
01-11-2006, 12:48 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/brandsonsale-store_1921_277954466

I'm going to go as Bill Maher next Halloween.

Liam
02-11-2006, 04:24 AM
Should I have heard of that dipshit? Cause as it is now, I have no idea who he is, nor do I feel the need to simply go to google and find out. Its pretty clear from the picture that he has nothing worthwhile to offer the world in any respect whatsoever.

Ranman
02-11-2006, 05:12 AM
Bill Maher is actually quite funny,
They hate him because he
makes fun of republicans, and is
good at it. He has a show on HBO
late night, And he makes Ann Coulter
Moan and groan. He has said,
" She is nice when she is cumming"

hasselbrad
02-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Bill Maher is actually quite funny,
They hate him because he
makes fun of republicans, and is
good at it. He has a show on HBO
late night, And he makes Ann Coulter
Moan and groan. He has said,
" She is nice when she is cumming"

Bill Maher isn't qualified to adjust Lewis Black's mic stand.
If I didn't like Maher for making fun of Republicans, why would Lewis Black be one of my favorite comedians? :dontknowa

Ranman
02-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Brad your just an old fart who doesn't know comedy.
Go pop some geritol and change your adult diaper.

EmotionSickness
08-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Oh, come on, Ran. You know I would have said the same thing if it had been Dennis Miller in his stead. Although, I admittedly wouldn't have tacked on the "another reason to hate..." bit.

But seriously. This has nothing to do with politics. He's just a douchebag, if for nothing else that's ever managed to seep its way past that hideously fallacious face of his, then for this. It's not only conservatives who can't stand him. He's like the Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter of Liberalism.

Anyway, back on topic. My dad thinks that they'll make a movie about Steve starring Russell Crowe, the new Richard Burton according to my father; but I can't say he's too far off the mark on that one. Although, Irwin himself wanted Eric Bana to play him, should such a movie ever be made. Thoughts? Opinions? Is this board still alive?