PDA

View Full Version : URGENCY! URGENCY! (Emergency!)

Jacoby
01-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I live at college now and they required your computer to have the McAfee anti-virus service.

Here's the problem...You Tube, Google Video...pretty much any type of streaming takes forever. Now here's the question: Is it because there's 4,000 computers are hooked up to the network right now? Or is it because the McAfee thing? My friend went here last year, and the streaming was seamless...just as fast at home...any ideas on how I can fix this? (If it can be fixed...)

Digital_Ice
01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
mcafee is probably the best *paid* security suite (some of the free stuff is better still)

if its just the antivirus, no, it will make no difference to the net speed, if its the whole suite, it may, but nothing too dramatic. so im assuming its throttling put in place by the uni, may places do it, throttle video, msn, irc, games etc to allow people using it for study the best access.

ryan
02-09-2006, 03:42 AM
antivirus software itself wont have that much of a negative impact on streaming videos or related websites...in fact, i'd be very surprised to find if you actually experience any negative impacts from antivirus software at all.

i would imagine it to be lacking network bandwidth or other related issues.
try a bandwidth speed test site and post your speed results.

Ranman
02-09-2006, 03:45 AM
Fuck the video, Go out and get laid
Your a college man now

Jacoby
02-09-2006, 01:22 PM
It says the speed is 10 Mbps which I think is pretty slow, right? I think back home I had like 56.

Foeni
02-09-2006, 01:50 PM
10 Mbps is slow??? Wtf.

Digital_Ice
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
erm.... at home you had 56 Kbps not 56 Mbps

1Mb = 1024 Kb

Jacoby
02-09-2006, 09:25 PM
unless, he was in a wireless network were the 56Mbps indicates the max speed of the wireless router and not the speed of the internet.
56 Kbps is small band.
I pretty much doubt he had small band, because if that was the case, he would be used to wait for ages on sites like You Tube. :p

Yep, you're right. I was using a wireless router at home. And I had high-speed internetz.

So 10.0 Mbps is fast...why the tits can't I stream audio/video?! No one in the school can, it's not just my comp.

aspro
02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
They are probably throttling YouTube, as others say above. Either that or you were on when A LOT of other people were all trying to download and clogging up the network, but thats kinda unlikely.

Hazzle
03-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Almost certainly throttling. Colleges always pull shit like this. I don't know how she ended up fixing it but I know someone who just went to college and initially couldn't get any instant messengers to work (presumably port blocking) but now she can.

But then you said your friend didn't have these problems last year? So it's either a new policy or something unique to you. Have you checked if other people on the network are having the same problem? If other people can use the network to access streaming just fine, then it can't be throttling (at least, I don't think so, though I don't profess to be an expert) and is certainly more likely to be something to do with your computer. Or they've come up with a "fix" and may be able to help you out.

Often helps to make buddies with the IT techs. Whilst there are often policies in place and they're not OFFICIALLY supposed to help you solve problems like this, shit like that goes out of the window if you take them out for a beer and it's them helping you out as a buddy rather than a technician. After all, unofficially it's no skin off their nose.

Or you could just sleep with them...

ryan
03-09-2006, 02:15 AM
10Mbps is your LAN speed, not your Internet connection speed.

just like how the 54Mbps connection at home was your wireless network, not your amount of Internet bandwidth.

Jacoby
03-09-2006, 02:23 PM
But then you said your friend didn't have these problems last year? So it's either a new policy or something unique to you. Have you checked if other people on the network are having the same problem? If other people can use the network to access streaming just fine, then it can't be throttling (at least, I don't think so, though I don't profess to be an expert) and is certainly more likely to be something to do with your computer. Or they've come up with a "fix" and may be able to help you out.

Everyone is having this problem. Both of my roommates, my friend who lives in the other side of my campus, and just about everyone I've mentioned it to at school. I think I'm going to e-mail a technician and ask him about it. I'm sure they've heard enough of this problem, but it's worth a shot.

Bait
03-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Fuck the video, Go out and get laid
Your a college man now

:icon_beer

also is there a way to get around port blocking they block my poker software and i want to cash out :(

Digital_Ice
03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
yes... there is.

:p