PDA

View Full Version : I kinda screwed myself....School wise

Kyle_West
17-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Not literally, HAH!

but yes, I am in a Honors English 3 class, and I am supposed to read 4 books over my summer and I'm down to my last 2 weeks. I am on page 11 of my first book.

1.A Farewell to Arms
2.Of Mice and Men
3.A Raisin in the sun
4.There Eyes were watching God

Now I am sure I wont get through the 4 books....I wont finish 2. So I am at the point that I go rent these movies and watch them. Could anyone tell me if the movie is the same as the book.....for any of them?

alby
17-07-2004, 11:08 PM
You could always try Spark Notes.

At least read OMAM, it's a short book.

Mandy
17-07-2004, 11:10 PM
A raisin in the sun is exactly like the movie. We read the book and watched the movie my senior year of high school. I know this because I remember us being able to follow along exactly with the movie and book while we were watching it and getting pissed that we didn't just watch the movie.

It's kinda of boring both ways, but yes, the movie would be faster.

CFC
17-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Sorry I can't help you.

I have to read Gates of Fire and Life of Pi. I am gonna knock them both out on my flights to and from San Jose in a week.

flipgurl
17-07-2004, 11:23 PM
yea.. like wat alby said u can try sparknotes. and also try pinkmonkey and bookrags. :)

Kyle_West
17-07-2004, 11:25 PM
I will take your word for it on A raisin in the sun. What do I have to lose? alby I am gonna spark note the hell outta this. I have reached a new low in cheating. But I probably wont even read OMAM. Im that lazy, I have spark notes. A friend of mine told me he had a D in a honors class and he started using spark notes and he had a C. So I will go with it. But if there is another movie just like the book then I'll just watch that.

*edit* All hail all of you, you guys sure know a few things about cheating. I do it alot but I improv on how to do it once im there. Not get online and do it ahead of time.

CFC
17-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Sparknotes is great. It has saved me many times throughout highschool.

Glare
17-07-2004, 11:56 PM
If you can't read 4 books in 2 weeks, you suck at English, I myself am Dyslexic and can read a good 300 page book in two nights if I really enjoy it, mind over matter, read the things and get over it. Also I hope you fail because you spent your entire summer having fun when you should have been reading, it's your own fault.

Kyle_West
18-07-2004, 12:00 AM
that made me laugh. Yeah well even if I do fail I can bring it up easily. It's just one grade. I'll tell you the result after I take the test.

duckula
18-07-2004, 12:05 AM
I fell asleep last october and woke up a few weeks ago and found out I had passed the first year of my aerospace engineering degree. Imagine my suprise.

acliff
18-07-2004, 12:13 AM
If you can't read 4 books in 2 weeks, you suck at English, I myself am Dyslexic and can read a good 300 page book in two nights if I really enjoy it, mind over matter, read the things and get over it. Also I hope you fail because you spent your entire summer having fun when you should have been reading, it's your own fault.

Touching, your support for your fellow man.
Perhaps he has other things to do besides reading books. And obviously he doesn't want to read it otherwise he'd have done it already, so your 'if I really enjoy it' doesn't quite fit in this matter.
Aside from mice and men, I enjoyed the other three books about as much as I enjoyed reading War and Peace. Slow, falling asleep every couple of minutes.

Good luck with the tests and such, watch the movies anyway, its only 8 or so hours. As a honours english student you should be able to bullshit from the basic storyline anyway.

duckula
18-07-2004, 12:16 AM

I can read a 300 page book over lunch but I don't feel it gives me carte blanche to be a dick.

alby
18-07-2004, 12:18 AM
I hope that's not AP English because most US universities don't accept it as credit.

Richard
18-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Not literally, HAH!

but yes, I am in a Honors English 3 class, and I am supposed to read 4 books over my summer and I'm down to my last 2 weeks. I am on page 11 of my first book.

Answer me this. You say you're in Honors English right? How do you get into any honors class persay? When you pick up your class schedule before school starts, is it given to you? Does your high school counselor call you into her office and asks you if you might be interested? For the past two years I have had regular classes and still maintained an A+ to a B- throughout the year, specifically English with nothing lower than an A-. Are you telling me "I" have to get off my ass and go to my counselor and ask for honors? If I do, I wish somebody would have told me that two years ago. :o

Glare
18-07-2004, 12:30 AM
I can read a 300 page book over lunch but I don't feel it gives me carte blanche to be a dick.

I can almost, ALMOST, feel the love from here.

apoggy
18-07-2004, 12:33 AM
I can almost, ALMOST, feel the love from here.

It's not that big

CFC
18-07-2004, 02:07 AM
I hope that's not AP English because most US universities don't accept it as credit.

Actually most do give some sort of credit. You just have to score well on the test.

frodo1511
18-07-2004, 03:17 AM
This most likely has happened to all of us once in our life(don't lie:)
I always wait to the last minute to do this kind of shit, and still pass the class. I mean, I had A.P. english last year, and had to read Antigone in 7 hours before class. I read what the author wrote in the books jacket/skimmed every other page, and bullshitted the hell out of my final, and still managed to ace it. Thats all you have to do Kyle (maby read the cliff/sparksnotes). but otherwise, good luck :D

Hazzle
18-07-2004, 04:48 AM
It's not that big

Oh it so is...huge...I've seen it.

Mags
18-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Read # 2 and 3. Of Mice And Men is short and you'll feel pissed off that anyone made you read it when you've finished. And Raisen in the Sun is bizarre and useless enough that you'll feel accomplished once you've finished it, though it really is an incredibly boring play. Then...start another one I guess.

man...I HATED reading OMAM...it was interesting ALL the way up until the very end, at which point I wanted to murder my teacher.

Kyle_West
18-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Answer me this. You say you're in Honors English right? How do you get into any honors class persay? When you pick up your class schedule before school starts, is it given to you? Does your high school counselor call you into her office and asks you if you might be interested? For the past two years I have had regular classes and still maintained an A+ to a B- throughout the year, specifically English with nothing lower than an A-. Are you telling me "I" have to get off my ass and go to my counselor and ask for honors? If I do, I wish somebody would have told me that two years ago. :o

Well richard it so happens I was in a basic english class and my teacher made me sign up to take honors english next year. I had a 97 at the time in her class and I slept about everyday and I haven't studied for a think in 2 years. But she made me take it. O I am in this because of her, I had nothing to do with it. You get your teacher to sign for the next class in taht level. Like an Algebra teacher can sign for Technical Math or Geometry Judging what you made in his/her class. So she put honors down for me. I ended up with a B average though. But nonetheless, honors classes make you read and I hate being required to read, I find the books slow so I dont read them. I started a farewell to arms and I fell asleep.....enough said. Sparknotes.com and the movies will do me fine. I have always been great at bullshiting.

Kelsey
18-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Those are the books your honors class is reading? Consider yourself lucky (as I glance over to my required summer reading :/). OMAN is required English 1 at my school; it's an easy read. I actually like A Raisin in the Sun, it's a classic. Both of those are quick and easy. As for the other two, I suggest getting the sparknotes. Better that than nothing and getting marked down (don't get marked down your first week of school!)

DragonRat
18-07-2004, 06:34 AM
I read A Farewell to Arms...seems like the only one who did :P

It's a good book, but rather tedious, if you don't like Hemingway's style. I prefer The Sun Also Rises, and most of his short stories. Remember, he's critiquing war and the loss of human dignity and humanity in general. That's what he's good at. That's what he went through.

Kyle_West
18-07-2004, 09:12 AM
Those are the books your honors class is reading? Consider yourself lucky (as I glance over to my required summer reading :/). OMAN is required English 1 at my school; it's an easy read. I actually like A Raisin in the Sun, it's a classic. Both of those are quick and easy. As for the other two, I suggest getting the sparknotes. Better that than nothing and getting marked down (don't get marked down your first week of school!)

heh, they changed some of the books around cause the grapes of wrath was on the list. But I wouldn't read that damn thing. It's like 600 pages and I have better things to do in summer. So I think they added OMAM. But yeah, a few easy books like those two aren't a problem. I can watch A raisin in the sun's movie and bullshit my way through it. I wanna watch OMAM's movie cause I liked it and I haven't seen it in a while. Plus ill probably read the book. Other two are getting spark noted. Good day

Pygmalion
18-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Well since this forum is such a hot spot of intelectuals, can ANYbody help me with "In The Skin Of a Lion" by Michael Ondaajche? I was sposed to read IT these holidays-we only have a 3 week break in Aus at this time. I highly doubt theres a movie...

alby
18-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Actually most do give some sort of credit. You just have to score well on the test.

Eh, perhaps times have changed since my days in high school. Nevertheless, it was still the only subject that received the most varying policies by US universities/colleges.

heh, they changed some of the books around cause the grapes of wrath was on the list. But I wouldn't read that damn thing. It's like 600 pages and I have better things to do in summer. So I think they added OMAM. But yeah, a few easy books like those two aren't a problem. I can watch A raisin in the sun's movie and bullshit my way through it. I wanna watch OMAM's movie cause I liked it and I haven't seen it in a while. Plus ill probably read the book. Other two are getting spark noted. Good day

Be grateful that you don't have to read Brothers Karamazov, the unabridged version. You could crack walnuts with that thing.

By the way, that is possibly the greatest profile picture anyone has. Pulp Fiction was hilarious, especially the scenes where Jules and Vincent were shot at by the guy with the large "hand cannon" and when they were in the kitchen after they drove into Jimmy's (not sure if I remembered the name correctly) house.

Well since this forum is such a hot spot of intelectuals, can ANYbody help me with "In The Skin Of a Lion" by Michael Ondaajche? I was sposed to read IT these holidays-we only have a 3 week break in Aus at this time. I highly doubt theres a movie...

I remember reading that book only because it was extra credit and we received 10 points for filling two pages of short ID's. Though I can't recall the minutiae of it, it was a beautiful read. You should try to read it since teachers/professors have a tendency to make you miserable for not doing so. It's kind of like how TS Eliot was put on this world to make the lives of English majors terrible.

I think my notes for that high school class is somewhere in my Palo Alto house's basement. It's a waste land down there -- TS Eliot would be proud.

I once took an urban politics class where we were required to read the professor's books/publications just so he could get royalties and the exams' multiple choice section were based on his books even though the indentifications and essays dealt with a totally different aspect of the subject.

But I'm digressing, you should check to see if there's a movie out. I believe he's the same author that wrote English Patient, though I haven't read the book or seen that film. A fairly prominent Canadian I think. Films can also be unreliable in depicting themes, characters, etc. so happy hunting.

CFC
18-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Eh, perhaps times have changed since my days in high school. Nevertheless, it was still the only subject that received the most varying policies by US universities/colleges.

I will apply to college this fall so I can tell you that most of the schools I am looking at will give you some type of credit if you score a 4 or 5. Usually 5 gets you credit.

The trend for giving credit will go down in the future because if a college gives you credit for an AP class, that is money out of thier pocket. I would not be suprized if all colleges stop giving credit for AP Exams in the near future since the college board has such a monoply in the US.

Cycleofthemoon
18-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I read both A Farewell to Arms and Of Mice and Men. AFTA was an okay book. Quite boring at points and often was too mushy. Some of it was good. You really have to read it to understand the symbols and stuff. The movie didn't exemplify it as well. Of Mice and Men is a must read. It is short enough that I finished it in two hours, while taking breaks. I know many people who cried after reading it. I, myself, didn't. But I felt that I might. The movie with John Malkovich is good, but the book is much better.

That's my two cents.

gracie
18-07-2004, 03:20 PM
dude I never keep The Sun Also Rises, For Whom The Bell Tolls and The Sun Also Rises straight. I hate them, skip it. I liked A Raison In The Sun and Their Eyes Were Watching God-hurston is thouroughly underattedc. But I went to an all girls private school where we only read books by dead white people. So those two were a change of pace for me. Kelseys right if thats what you have to read for your honors english class youre getting off easy. That was freshman summer reading here. I had to read The Sound and the Fury, Invisible Man, Heart of Darkness and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. Most us colleges will accept ap test scores either for some credit or placement into advanced classes. Like i placed into an accelerated biology class and advanced english class while recieving actual credit for history.

alby
18-07-2004, 04:50 PM
I will apply to college this fall so I can tell you that most of the schools I am looking at will give you some type of credit if you score a 4 or 5. Usually 5 gets you credit.

The trend for giving credit will go down in the future because if a college gives you credit for an AP class, that is money out of thier pocket. I would not be suprized if all colleges stop giving credit for AP Exams in the near future since the college board has such a monoply in the US.

At least college essays always stay the same so you can get a head start if you find an old application.

I used to work part time in the admissions office reading essays. People write outrageous things. Just don't write about how studying microcrobes made you a better person or how your outlook on life changed when your parents walked in on you while you were spanking your monkey. Those were hilarious. In retrospect, that was fucked up. The latter is still posted on the bulletin board I hear.

Wake
19-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Agh! You're not going to read Of Mice and Men?! It's so short and it's a good book and I had the English Honors teacher from HELL! Scarlet Letter, Adventures of Huckelberry Finn, The Killer Angels, The Great Gatsby and Of Mice and Men...only one I liked was the last one. You can seriously finish Of Mice and Men in one sitting. The movie...I don't think it follows the book all that well but I thought it was pretty funny because of John Malkovic (sp?). If you don't read Of Mice and Men I'm gonna hunt you down. And I don't wanna hear any complaining about High School English...SOOOOO much easier than my Freshman comp class at ASU.

Richard
19-07-2004, 12:18 AM
I read "Of Mice and Men" during my first year as a freshmen, the only difference is I had a cool english teacher. If I recall correctly, it was a good book and so's the movie. English to me, is not a subject to really complain about. As long as you work at your own pace and give forth the effort, anyone can excell the subject.

DragonRat
19-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Agh! You're not going to read Of Mice and Men?! It's so short and it's a good book and I had the English Honors teacher from HELL! Scarlet Letter, Adventures of Huckelberry Finn, The Killer Angels, The Great Gatsby and Of Mice and Men...only one I liked was the last one. You can seriously finish Of Mice and Men in one sitting. The movie...I don't think it follows the book all that well but I thought it was pretty funny because of John Malkovic (sp?). If you don't read Of Mice and Men I'm gonna hunt you down. And I don't wanna hear any complaining about High School English...SOOOOO much easier than my Freshman comp class at ASU.

Bah, how could you not enjoy The Great Gatsby? It's right up there with The Sun Also Rises as the great American novel of the 1920s.

As for my own summer reading, I've stopped trying to read Crime and Punishment...Dostoevsky should have really stopped with his descriptions and played it like Hemingway - how many words do you need? I'm currently turning my attention to "Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players" by Sklansky and Malmuth: the Bible of Texas Hold 'Em. I figure, a few fiction books separated by a nonfiction.

gracie
19-07-2004, 04:12 AM
Bah, how could you not enjoy The Great Gatsby? It's right up there with The Sun Also Rises as the great American novel of the 1920s.

Gatsby>TSAR
I hated that book. end of story