PDA

View Full Version : Camera help

GoPre
19-08-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm looking to buy a digital camera under 300$, and plan on taking scenic pictures with it. Suggestions please? Thanks.

acliff
20-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Go for any with 28mm equivilent starting zoom. Unless you want to carry around a zoom, optical image stabilisation helps tremendously.

ala: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/

If you can stretch to $350 - $400 or so, I would highly recommend a digital SLR. Bit more difficult to carry around, but the quality is SO much better.

GoPre
20-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Arn't those all like around 1,000$ or more?

acliff
20-08-2006, 01:03 AM
The Nikon D50, Olympus E500, Pentax *ist DL are all currently reduced and affordable. Maybe not under $300, but not too far off.

Digital_Ice
20-08-2006, 12:33 PM
The canon EOS E350D. now thats one hell of a nice SLR.... shame it would be over $1000

acliff
20-08-2006, 02:46 PM
The Canon 350D is a piece of shit. It makes great pictures, but the grip makes my hand go into cramps because its so small, the menu system is convoluted, and the build quality makes it feel as if was bought at poundstretcher.

GoPre
20-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I just came across the Fuji F30, and I'm digging it.

haha, nevermind. I just looked at the price. I'll probably get that Panasonic then.

acliff
20-08-2006, 04:51 PM
I just came across the Fuji F30, and I'm digging it.

haha, nevermind. I just looked at the price. I'll probably get that Panasonic then.

The Fuji F11 is probably in your price range though.
Although the F30 has iso3200, the F11 still has iso1600 and has esseentially the same functionality. Same size screen, same modes, same features, same lens.
The F30 is a slightly better camera with a slightly sleeker design, but at a fairly substantially higher cost.

I was planning to get the f11 as a pocket take-anywhere camera.

Digital_Ice
20-08-2006, 07:12 PM
The Canon 350D is a piece of shit. It makes great pictures, but the grip makes my hand go into cramps because its so small, the menu system is convoluted, and the build quality makes it feel as if was bought at poundstretcher.

hmm.... so cliff, seing as i trust your advice. what would you recommend for the same picture quality, around the £700 mark, with the same lenses as the 350Ds Kit ?

barrington
20-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Same for me please. This thread came at the right time; it's my birthday in ten days and I'm looking into digital SLRs - have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to be laughed at by Cliff at the BBQ.

GoPre
20-08-2006, 09:09 PM
What takes better quality pictures, the f11 or the panasonic one?

acliff
20-08-2006, 09:20 PM
The F11 takes better pictures than the FX01.
Although both of them have 6 million pixels, the F11 has better pixels.
Also, the F11 doesn't need optical image stabilisation as you can ramp up the image sensor sensitivity to iso 1600, with better image quality all through the range. It also has more manual controls, if you want to be creative, the FX01 is pretty much completely automatic.

But the Panasonic FX01 is alot prettier...

Digital SLRs around the £700 mark... when are you likely to buy the cameras? I imagine Baz, you want one in time for your birthday, and which kit were you thinking Ice, the 2 lens kit?

barrington
20-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Can you find me anything around the £400 range do you think? I doesn't necessarily HAVE to be an SLR. The most important things for me are zoom and creativity. So what I want is something with around 10x optical or more and something approaching fully manual capability in ISO, aperture and exposure.

Digital_Ice
20-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Digital SLRs around the £700 mark... when are you likely to buy the cameras? I imagine Baz, you want one in time for your birthday, and which kit were you thinking Ice, the 2 lens kit?

time scale = when i have the cash. christmas ish probably. i've just shelled out 750 on the new pc, lol.

yeah, the two lens kit - 8-55mm wide-angle and a 55-200mm telephoto.

i've currently got the canon a520, tis a great little compact... but doesnt really have enough power or features.... plus its only 4mp

acliff
20-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Samsung's copy of the Pentax *ist DS2 was on offer at Jessops for £400 including a 18-55mm lens and 50-200mm lens, both of excellent quality. If I hadn't already had an SLR, that would have been my choice. Thats 11.1x zoom range and better image quality, response time, faster autofocus, better low light sensitivity than any of the ones I'll recommend later on. If you go to a budget of 450 - 500, other manufacturers become available to you. The Samsung/Pentax (as they are identical besides the label) have bigger viewfinders than their competition, and is the most compact, and 2nd lightest, yet is built and handles superbly.

Other than that you're looking at prosumer digicams.

Fuji make nice ones, but they are pretty much SLR sized. There is no need to have an SLR sized camera if its not actually an SLR. Which rules out the Fuji s9000 and the Panasonic FZ30 (which is huge ugly motherfucker)

I like both the Panasonic FZ7 and the Sony H5. Panasonic has an optically stabilised leica branded lens, whereas the Sony has a Carl Zeiss T* branded optically stabilised lens. Pretty much the same zoom range 36-432mm. Which is huge. The panasonic is smaller, but the H5 has a humongous 3inch LCD, has a much nicer grip, and a control dial which makes it far easier to select options. It would be my choice.

The best non SLR digicams were made by Konica Minolta (the A200, or A2) and olympus, but they're not made anymore, and second hand prices are high for them. Canon's S3IS is too expensive, for very little benefit.

acliff
20-08-2006, 10:35 PM
time scale = when i have the cash. christmas ish probably. i've just shelled out 750 on the new pc, lol.

yeah, the two lens kit - 8-55mm wide-angle and a 55-200mm telephoto.

i've currently got the canon a520, tis a great little compact... but doesnt really have enough power or features.... plus its only 4mp

By Christmas, I would wait for what new products are announced at Photokina, which is the biannual camera show. But as it is, the newly announced Nikon D80 looks like a fucking stunning camera.
For general use though, I would recommend a camera with built in antishake like the Sony/Konica Minolta A100, or the Pentax K100D. I'm a fan of both. The Pentax will be cheaper, with 6megapixels and fantastic low light sensitivity. There is a huge range of lenses for it, including 35 year old manual lenses, and the two kit lenses are said to be the best of all the manufaturers. With both the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses the K100D should come to about 600-650? Depends on christmas prices.
The Sony A100 is derived from Konica Minolta technology which is very very good. It has 10megapixels, but not as sensitive at low light. Operation and control is very quick, it has neat features like automatic screen rotation, and eyestart (where autofocus starts as soon as you put your eye to the camera) However, it is more expensive. The lens kit goes from 18-70 and 70-300, so longer range, so thats worth considering.

Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon, Pentax, Sony are all due to release new cameras at photokina which is in September, most likely new cameras will be released for the Christmas purchasing craze. Its a good year to be buying a camera.