PDA

View Full Version : A Level results day

acliff
17-08-2006, 11:10 AM
A level results day is a time of incredible anxiety for most. It is unusually cruel to make students wait over 2 months for exam results that may well decide their future. I remember on my results day, we went to TGI Fridays, got absolutely smashed off our faces, spent unfeasible amounts of money, and played xbox through the night, managing about 1 hour of sleep average before stumbling into school still hammered to discover our fate. I think we may have actually paid money to watch 'Not another teen movie' on Sky Box Office, which stands as a testament to how drunk we were.

So this is a shout out to all of you 17/18 year olds out there getting their AS / A2 results and to hoping you got what you expect/need (but not necessarily what you deserve).

Of course this isn't a completely selfless thread, as the real reason for this thread is that I would like to announce to the world that my sister got her 5As at AS, which makes her a better academic achiever than I ever was/will be. The bitch :) I'm going to have to start thinking about her strategy for getting into Oxford law, and it will be a huge pleasure to do so.

barrington
17-08-2006, 02:06 PM
A, B, D for my little sister. Off to Leicester for psychology she goes. Wheee.

duckula
17-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I remember on my results day, we went to TGI Fridays, got absolutely smashed off our faces, spent unfeasible amounts of money, and played xbox through the night, managing about 1 hour of sleep average before stumbling into school still hammered to discover our fate. I think we may have actually paid money to watch 'Not another teen movie' on Sky Box Office, which stands as a testament to how drunk we were.

Good times. Congratulate your sister for me.

Hazzle
17-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Heh, I know what you mean Cliff.

My sister got 4 and a half As and a distinction (thus making her by far the best academic achiever in my family, and the best that her school has ever had. The bitch) and got into her first choice (Royal Holloway) to do Biochem with Psychology. I should be insanely jealous but she works her fucking arse off and deserves it, so I'm incredibly proud of her instead.

Have two bottles of champagne (one Bollinger, one Moet) which I've been saving for a special occasion and I shall be giving her one of them when she gets home from work.

Congrats mini Bazess and miss Cliffette.

acliff
17-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I've got an extra big hug that I've been saving for such a special occasion.

Congrats on your sisters Bazhaz. What is it with younger sisters actually doing work?

Hazzle
17-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I think we go forth as examples of what NOT to do.

Or maybe it's because they're girls and apparently it's what non-chav girls do?

Of course the chav girls are too busy getting knocked up...

I have a rather big hug waiting for my sister too.

Is your sister going to take all 5 onto full A-levels? My sister did 5 (obviously, hence the "half" A) but dropped one to concentrate more fully on the other four. Probably helped her get the distinction. My mate who went to Cambridge did the same, but then I have other friends who stuck at it. Whichever path she chooses, I wish her all the best (although Oxford wouldn't be my choice for Law.)

When I looked into it Oxford had a reputation for a very black letter approach which isn't viewed as practice-friendly. Barristers still like an Oxbridge degree, although these days a first in Law will get you any job you want, but solicitors are starting to really look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, Oxbridge degrees are still worth a lot to employers, but I'd definitely say they're worth less than they used to be within the legal market. Time was an Oxford Law degree would put you head and shoulders above any other candidate for a job, now I'd say whilst it's highly regarded, it's on a level with other universities, particularly those in London.

The best option is probably LSE as they do an LLB which is more practice-friendly. It's in prime location, right next to the Royal Courts of Justice, and is right in the heart of London's legal community. The major inns of court are all local as are most of the magic circle firms. There's a good legal bookstore down the road. It was my first choice anyway (I didn't get in, however) and I'd still say its reputation is impeccable (it consistently ranks highly in any University league table for Law, year in year out). If she hasn't already looked into it (which she probably has and may have her own reasons for choosing against it) I'd recommend it highly.

Whatever route she chooses, I wish her the best of luck. Not that she'll need it.