PDA

View Full Version : Movie sequels/remakes that should never be made

michael22
04-08-2006, 01:30 AM
With the announcement of die hard 4 I thought i would start a thread about producers who ruin series by overdoing and completely ruining classics.

As I am quite sure this movie will suck and completely ruin the rest of the trilogy (though die hard 2 almost did that.

This reminds me of the reckage of the highlander movies.

any way the theme of this thread is summed up by this- There should have only been one (or several depending on the sequels).

Leonie
04-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean 2? I thought it was lame in comparison with the first one, it really seemed just a prequel to a (hopefully) more exciting part three. All the information they tried to incorporate so desperately really slowed down the pace of the movie, and made it seem forced. Pity. I hope part three will be worth the below average part two.

Richard
04-08-2006, 04:41 AM
The Incredible Shrinking Man -- a sci-fi classic from 1957 -- is apparently in discussion to be remade. Directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans.

It makes me sick to my stomach.

Hazzle
04-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Die Hard 2 was excellent. I used to think it wasn't as good until I saw the Director's Cut. Seriously, it's actually a very good film. Not up to the quality of the first or the third (it lacked enough comedy) but still good.

I expect Die Hard 4 will be excellent too. You can never overdo that concept.

Richard: What should worry you most about that is that it's Keenen Wayans. A remake might not be a bad idea, given that the modern effects available could make it a lot more realistic, but not by Keenen Wayans! The guy's ABYSMAL at making films. He's going to be making a Munsters movie too and that scares the shit out of me.

Before Begins I'd have said Batman. Forever and Batman & Robin nearly destroyed the series but Begins has salvaged it big time. I'd say X-men but only because the first one blew so hard that even a slight improvement for the second installment STILL made it a TERRIBLE movie. I've not seen X-3 and even if it's slightly better than X-2 it'll still be torture. Horrible, just horrible.

Basic Instinct. The first one was good, the second scares me for all the wrong reasons.

If anyone wants to see a list of upcoming sequels/remakes etc check out this site:

http://www.sequelogue.com/

Arbery
04-08-2006, 09:26 AM
predator 2 and alien ressurection (sp?)...i watch them now and again, Predator 2 was just nothing compared to the 1st one...and Alien Res...well...its weird and has no suspense whatsoever!

Hazzle
04-08-2006, 09:46 AM
I liked Resurrection! AvP destroyed the series, both of them, although it was really nothing to do with either of them but rather the game.

Predator 2 was shit though. No Arnie = Not as good.

Richard
04-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Richard: What should worry you most about that is that it's Keenen Wayans. A remake might not be a bad idea, given that the modern effects available could make it a lot more realistic, but not by Keenen Wayans! The guy's ABYSMAL at making films. He's going to be making a Munsters movie too and that scares the shit out of me.

I agree.

And I must say I quite enjoyed Predator 2. Sure, it's not as good as the first one, but it has Danny Glover, and I really liked him in that movie. I thought it was very interesting that the filmmakers decided to bring the Predator out into Los Angeles; in a heat wave. Although, now that I think about that, I don't think the movie ever explained HOW the Predator reached Los Angeles. Meh, minor detail. It was fun to watch. An extraordinaryly decent sequel.

I'll have to agree also about Alien: Resurrection. I enjoyed that movie, too. Oddly, I can't seem to remember what I liked about it. It was written by Joss Whedon, if I recall.

AVP2? Now that is going to be one BIG pile of shit.

Digital_Ice
04-08-2006, 09:57 PM
the italian job..... bugger, they already have... and they ruined it.

Greg21
04-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Ace Ventura 2.... the 1st was way better, and ace was too over the top and stupid in the 2nd.

Swordsman
05-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Die Hard 2 was excellent. I used to think it wasn't as good until I saw the Director's Cut. Seriously, it's actually a very good film. Not up to the quality of the first or the third (it lacked enough comedy) but still good.

I expect Die Hard 4 will be excellent too. You can never overdo that concept.

Before Begins I'd have said Batman. Forever and Batman & Robin nearly destroyed the series but Begins has salvaged it big time. I'd say X-men but only because the first one blew so hard that even a slight improvement for the second installment STILL made it a TERRIBLE movie. I've not seen X-3 and even if it's slightly better than X-2 it'll still be torture. Horrible, just horrible.

Basic Instinct. The first one was good, the second scares me for all the wrong reasons.

I am so goddamn excited for Die Hard4. The Die Hard movies are real action movies, it's not just some guns and explosions it's some people driving cars through an army base and then through a tornado and then through a concrete wall and fall on some C4. I love Die Hard:With A Vengeance

Batman & Robin is one of the gayest movies i've ever seen in my entire life.

Sharon Stone=Creepiest.Person.Ever.

I'm very against all the Lethal Weapons, except the first one.

Hazzle
05-08-2006, 07:43 AM
You know a movie's shit when Sharon Stone is the scary part of it. When the original came out, she was arguably the best looking woman in Hollywood, and people rushed out to see it. Now she's a grandma and the sight of her doing that thing with the chair. Ew ew ew.

Batman & Robin was so bad it made me want to hurl. But Begins was amazing.

I think they definitely overdid the Lethal Weapon concept, as with Mad Max. To be fair, I've always disliked Mel Gibson, so too much of him is a bad thing in my book.

Heh Ice. That film was so awful Edward Norton didn't want to do it, but the studio made him as he'd signed up to a two-movie deal and he had no idea that the second movie was going to be the Italian Job. Apparently he tried to wrangle out of it and even out of showing up to the Premieres. Don't know if he managed to avoid the latter. I admire him for trying to get out of it though, I've always been a fan of his as an actor and that cemented it for me. Charlize Theron, however, is always good to look at. Yummy.

NinjaTurtleRocky
05-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
Basic Instict 2
Every Disney sequel, besides Aladdin and Toy Story
X-men 3
Prequel status: Star Wars Episodes 1-3
Jaws 2-4
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Wayne's World 2
Superman 3 and 4
Batman 3-4
Some of the Bond movies....
Legally Blonde 2
Barbershop 2
3 Ninjas 2-3
Matrix 2-3

Swordsman
05-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I think they definitely overdid the Lethal Weapon concept, as with Mad Max. To be fair, I've always disliked Mel Gibson, so too much of him is a bad thing in my book.

Heh Ice. That film was so awful Edward Norton didn't want to do it, but the studio made him as he'd signed up to a two-movie deal and he had no idea that the second movie was going to be the Italian Job. Apparently he tried to wrangle out of it and even out of showing up to the Premieres. Don't know if he managed to avoid the latter. I admire him for trying to get out of it though, I've always been a fan of his as an actor and that cemented it for me. Charlize Theron, however, is always good to look at. Yummy.

Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are awesome movies though. For me all his movies aren't good anymore because he just has this crazy look in his eye. But Thunderdome is awesome.

I always wondered why Ed Norton would do such a shitty flick. He looked goofy with that mustache.

Hazzle
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Matrix 2-3

Second Matrix was better than the first. At least the Architect was somewhat clever and original, the first film was pseudo-Plato rip off and everyone thought it was this very clever philosophically deep film. The second was, the first wasn't.

Swords all the Mad Max films blew. Awful. And Ed Norton didn't want to, like I said, he was made to. He opposed it from start to finish, felt a remake was unnecessary and only going to end up being far inferior to the original.

Oh, and I'm not sure it counts, as it wasn't a remake of a film but more a TV show remade into a film, but Miami Vice. So much promise, excellent start, excellent end, just the entire middle hour was terrible. Colin Farrell was shit, and had awful chemistry with Foxx. I don't want to spoil it but it was a really bad film.

Swordsman
05-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Hey...Mad Max is cool. I agree on the Matrix. I really liked the first and the second, but the second was just more interestring. The third was....goddamn stupid.

I said "I always wondered why Ed Norton would do such a shitty flick." in a way like "Oooh, so that's why".

Hazzle
05-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Ahh, gotcha.

Matrix 3 was definitely bad. The first was average, but overhyped, the second was the best.

The Crow sequels were crap too. The first was amazing, such a shame that Brandon Lee died or the sequels might've been good. The graphic novel is one of my favourite possessions and I feel especially offended by those films (except the first, of course, which was excellent). The sequels were comical.

duckula
05-08-2006, 07:04 PM
The Matrix sequels where hindered by a tragic mislocation of the creators heads. The first one was entertaining (on the first few watches, over exposure sucked out it's joy) but the second two suffered from a fatal lack of excitement. No matter the depths of their intellectual depth (hah!), they could not recover from such tragic mediocrity.

Arbery
05-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I agree.

And I must say I quite enjoyed Predator 2. Sure, it's not as good as the first one, but it has Danny Glover, and I really liked him in that movie. I thought it was very interesting that the filmmakers decided to bring the Predator out into Los Angeles; in a heat wave. Although, now that I think about that, I don't think the movie ever explained HOW the Predator reached Los Angeles. Meh, minor detail. It was fun to watch. An extraordinaryly decent sequel.

I'll have to agree also about Alien: Resurrection. I enjoyed that movie, too. Oddly, I can't seem to remember what I liked about it. It was written by Joss Whedon, if I recall.

AVP2? Now that is going to be one BIG pile of shit.

I enjoyed those movies to, but in a different way...i found Alien Res quite funny to watch...thought it was a bit OTT at points. Predator 2 is a bit random, not overly keen on it...but i have watched it a few times!

michael22
05-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Wayne's World 2

first of all bill and ted one was completely stupid yet entertaining the second was the same (the reaper kicked ass)

waynes world two was bad in most parts but was also damn funny and entertaining, now excuse me while I beat you to death with your own shoes.

Arbery
06-08-2006, 11:58 AM
first of all bill and ted one was completely stupid yet entertaining the second was the same (the reaper kicked ass)

waynes world two was bad in most parts but was also damn funny and entertaining, no excuse me while I beat you to death with your own shoes.

This Reaper was certainly the best thing in that movie...and Steve Vai did all the guitar parts...and he's amazing!

kingdumbass
06-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean 2? I thought it was lame in comparison with the first one, it really seemed just a prequel to a (hopefully) more exciting part three. All the information they tried to incorporate so desperately really slowed down the pace of the movie, and made it seem forced. Pity. I hope part three will be worth the below average part two.

I think that Pirates 2 will one day be regarded like Back to the Future 2....
The weak link in the series that really just served as the necessary bridge between the first and third parts. I remember when Back to the Future 2 came out, everyone complained that it was convoluted and confusing. Then, part three redeemed the franchise. My hopes are much higher for Pirates 3 than they were for Pirates 2.

And, generally, any sequel that comes more than 5 years after the first film is unnecessary. Predator 2 is a good example. Weekend at Bernies 2 is an even better one. Oh, and let's not forget Dumb and Dumberer. The best thing about that movie was its title.

Hazzle
06-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Back to the Future 2 was only confusing for complete retards, and I hated it when they went to an overly simplistic formula for part 3. Three was the weak link, and one too many, and BTTF2 was easily the best.

However good call on Dumb and Dumberer. So so SO bad.

Steve84
06-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I preferred the 2nd back to the future. exciting and dramatic too.

acliff
06-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Passion of the Christ.

EDIT: I just saw this, this should not have been made. Ruins the brilliance of the original. Bring it on 3: All or Nothing (http://www.bringitonmovie.com/)