PDA

View Full Version : TV show discussion/fight

acliff
03-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Extension of the TV show brawl.
Superhero discussion in the other thread. Fuckwits to keep out of this one. If you don't I'm going to have a field day.
Of course all of what you say will be opinions except for phrases like 'Jessica Alba is uberhot' which should really be in an encyclopaedia somewhere, or maybe carved into a great stone tablet of truths.

What is your favourite TV show and why?
What TV shows do you hate and why?

Hazzle
03-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Heh. Especially at "discussion/fight". Genius.

Erm right now? Probably Criminal Minds. As for why, I think Bruckheimer's made excellent crime shows (the CSI stable, Without a Trace etc) but with Criminal Minds he's put together an excellent cast and given them immensely intriguing characters to play. The plots are interesting and the concept for me ties together the very best of all his other shows. There's forensics (CSI) but the profiling isn't that dissimilar to the way they try and work out where a person is in Without a Trace by building up a "profile" of them.

As for hate...too many to list. There's so much crap on. But if Big Brother counts than that all-pervading tripe fest has to be it. It's gotten worse with each series and this time I've just refused to watch it. I don't care if it's everywhere, I'll just ignore it. Or try to anyway. That's the most hateful thing about it, it's EVERYWHERE.

Swordsman
03-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Law & Order and the Boondocks. Law & Order, people get what's coming to them and it's one dramatic ass awesome thing to watch. Boondocks, because... i'm not too sure why, it's just halarious.

I hate Mind Of Mencia because he just tries to hard to be offensive. He wants to be Dave Chappelle, but he just can't do it. He's gotta try less.

Greg21
03-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Conan O'brien is hilarious; he does whatever he wants on that show in his own goofy, crazy style. Friends is the best show ever, everyone knows that. Other then that I don't watch many tv shows.

marine
03-08-2006, 09:11 AM
My favorite Tv Show is Gilmore Girls, because Lorelei girls rock and I don't care how stupid that explication may sound. The dialogues are funny as hell and witty.

As for hatred, I'm starting to hate the reality period (centered around music) that we get in France every year. Each September we get "Star Academy", some people wanting to make it big in the music world, who take classes in a genre of Fame academy and are filmed 22 hours, 7 days a week. I admit I kind of watched the first season, which wasn't all that good but frankly it's starting to get annoying. The worst part of this tv show is its animator/frontman.

acliff
03-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Ohh without a trace is quite good.
The thing that bugs me a little about these crime programs is that they are very linear. Its not really their fault, as evidence is presented chronologically. I suppose I prefer to have all of the information at the beginning and try to guess for myself. Of course it is alot easier for this to happen if the 'mystery' is spread over a number of episodes, or even a series.

Which is why my favourite TV show is probably Veronica Mars. It appeals to my unintelligent side: pretty girls, good music, jokes, and my supa brainee side: almost unparalleled dialogue, the best dad on television (he would wipe the floor with sandy cohen), great scripts, a very well balanced mix of series continuation, one off, off key episodes. Oh and its worth mentioning that Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell) is probably the cutest person that has ever walked the earth.

I adore QI, its mixture of wildly obscure knowledge, bizarre comedy, usually produced by bill bailey and high quality funnymen. Alan Davis plays the stupid one in a charmingly amusing way.

Oh, top gear is great television also.

I HATE those reality TV shows with misbehaving children in it. That includes supernanny, Coping with the spawn of Satan (not an actual program, but a name to encompass all of the little crunts that throw plates for the hell of it and bite their parents) and Big Brother.

Hazzle
03-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Kristen Bell IS cute. And I've been seriously tempted to watch Veronica Mars but worried it'd end up being pap. Not quite sure how to take a recommendation from you as we don't always see eye-to-eye on TV shows but what you described seems interesting enough. Might watch an episode and take it from there.

duckula
03-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Criminal Minds... immensely intriguing characters

Oh so wrong, so so wrong. Only Gideon is in anyway interesting, the show is good but only for the fact you get a new type of fucked up criminal every week, very informative.

acliff
03-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Ducky will back me up on how good Veronica Mars is.
Although I don't think you deserve to watch it.

Hazzle
03-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Reid's fascinating. And the criminals are characters too Frank ;)

duckula
03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
No they aren't, and even if they were, they are poorly characterised outside their psychoses (there is more to a nutter than their particularly fucked up aspects).

On the Veronica Mars thing, I heartily endorse it, it is one of my three favourite current shows (that aren't The Wire, which is only on irregularly due to it being on HBO).

duckula
03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Also, as Leonie may have mentioned (and marine), gilmore girls is excellent, I have been catching up on it over summer (just starting season 4 and it is all good up 'til now).

hasselbrad
03-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I can't stomach most television. I used to watch ER, but it just became too much of a soap opera for my tastes. I've tried other brands, but the CSIs and Law and Orders bore me. Every once in a while, I'll watch CSI-Miami, but that's simply the result of the reflex that makes me turn to look at a wreck or type rotten dot com into my web browser. David Caruso's dinner-theatre inspired acting elicits that sort of morbid curiosity.
That said, I would gladly sit through every piece of DVD evidence that David Caruso, does in fact, have a career in show business, rather that watch any sort of reality television. Reality television reached its apex at its inception with the original Real World, and has been in the sort of downward spiral that leaves skidmarks on the bisque porcelain of the toilet we call television ever since.
My Name is Earl and The Office are my only indulgences outside of the History Channel, History International, Discovery and a little HGTV/Food. I do love me some Giada DeLaurentiis. Oh, and sporting events, although the ESPNs have been over-run by the plague of locusts, otherwise known as poker.

Hazzle
03-08-2006, 01:20 PM
My Name is Earl is excellent. Hilarious.

Actually I tell you what is a great show. Curb Your Enthusiasm. That really IS funny.

iximisspiggyixi
03-08-2006, 01:37 PM
SEX AND THE CITY. Because it's amazing and their lives are fabulous and SJP is the coolest lady ever.

I also really love Prison Break, and Entourage.

ryan
03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Right now it's Entourage...because Ari Gold is an older (and richer) version of me.

Smart, funny dialoge, gorgeous women, good acting, tons of cameos...brillant.

ryan
03-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I can't stomach most television. I used to watch ER, but it just became too much of a soap opera for my tastes. I've tried other brands, but the CSIs and Law and Orders bore me. Every once in a while, I'll watch CSI-Miami, but that's simply the result of the reflex that makes me turn to look at a wreck or type rotten dot com into my web browser. David Caruso's dinner-theatre inspired acting elicits that sort of morbid curiosity.
That said, I would gladly sit through every piece of DVD evidence that David Caruso, does in fact, have a career in show business, rather that watch any sort of reality television. Reality television reached its apex at its inception with the original Real World, and has been in the sort of downward spiral that leaves skidmarks on the bisque porcelain of the toilet we call television ever since.
My Name is Earl and The Office are my only indulgences outside of the History Channel, History International, Discovery and a little HGTV/Food. I do love me some Giada DeLaurentiis. Oh, and sporting events, although the ESPNs have been over-run by the plague of locusts, otherwise known as poker.

Giada is fucking smoking...omg.
and poker is great (if it's the WSOP).

acliff
03-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Right now it's Entourage...because Ari Gold is an older (and richer) version of me.

Smart, funny dialoge, gorgeous women, good acting, tons of cameos...brillant.

Ari is better than you in the following ways:
Funnier
More obnoxious
Smarter
Cooler
Full of personality.

But other than that, you're identical :)

ryan
03-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Ari is better than you in the following ways:
Funnier
More obnoxious
Smarter
Cooler
Full of personality.

But other than that, you're identical :)

quite a bold statement from someone who has not met me ;)

acliff
03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
quite a bold statement from someone who has not met me ;)

I'm nothing if not for my bold statements.
Now I would have believed you if you made a Ari - Lloyd line like:

'I'll give you 10000 yen to shut the fuck up"

I would have cried.

hasselbrad
03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
poker is great (if it's the WSOP).

Not if you don't play poker. I'd rather watch paint dry...or David Caruso do Shakespeare. I play golf, and therefore, I like to watch golf. However, I completely understand that most people would rather watch the aforementioned paint drying tournament on the Ocho, than watch golf.

ryan
03-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Not if you don't play poker. I'd rather watch paint dry...or David Caruso do Shakespeare. I play golf, and therefore, I like to watch golf. However, I completely understand that most people would rather watch the aforementioned paint drying tournament on the Ocho, than watch golf.

well, yeah. most people wouldn't watch a sport they're not interested in. :P
a huge amont of people play/watch poker now (which is both good and bad, imo), so i can see why espn has it everywhere.

ryan
03-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm nothing if not for my bold statements.
Now I would have believed you if you made a Ari - Lloyd line like:

'I'll give you 10000 yen to shut the fuck up"

I would have cried.

Ari/Llyod comments are great, but his one-liners when talking with his wife or Eric are golden.

hasselbrad
03-08-2006, 05:15 PM
well, yeah. most people wouldn't watch a sport they're not interested in. :P
a huge amont of people play/watch poker now (which is both good and bad, imo), so i can see why espn has it everywhere.
Actually, my grandmother watches golf because it's quiet and pretty.

Mandy
03-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm addicted to all the shows on Bravo right now...

Workout
Blowout
Inside the Actor's Studio
Project Runway
Real Howewives of Orange County (When it was still on)

There may be more, but I just generally love everything on that channel.

Swordsman
04-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Blow Out is sucha funny show, as is The Soup because it constantly makes fun of Blow Out. Always Sunny In Philadelphia is goddamn hilarious.

Mandy
04-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Yeah it's funny watching it thinking there's been no other straight man as gay as he is.

Jacoby
04-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Yeah it's funny watching it thinking there's been no other straight man as gay as he is.

Michael Ian Black?

Hazzle
04-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Inside the Actor's Studio is excellent.

Poker is excellent (but then I play) whilst Golf does suck royally. Sports OTHER than golf are worth watching. Even Basketball in a pinch, although I generally don't like to watch it. Cricket and football. Formula One, but only if I have 3 hours spare. It's a bit much and I'd rather watch 3 hours of Test Cricket if the choice is there.

Oh, and Sex And The City blows HUGE chunks. Even the gorgeous Kim Cattrall (how good does she look for 50?! Too old for my tastes but she must be a pin-up to guys of that age. Only hope my future wife ages that well) and Kristin Davis (mmm, yummy. She may be 31 but I still would) and even Cynthia Nixon (who's alright for a woman of 40) can't distract from the huge nose of Sarah Jessica Parker (there are Eagles jealous of that beak) or the abysmal script.

Kitchen Confidential (produced by the creator of Sex and The City) is actually better.

J.R.
06-08-2006, 03:44 AM
My Favorite TV show is XPlay, a gaming show on G4tv, I've been watching this show for years now and I like it because they review video games and inject some humor into it. Although, the show is going downhill(mainly because the network it on sucks with the exceptiopn of XPlay)

The Show I hate with the burning passion of 1000 Flames(Nice intro eh?) is Queer Eye of the straight guy. When I go to my dad's house my step-mother is always watching the damn show, i don't know why. but for some reason it seems like thats the only thing thats ever on the TV.Also, The The main guy in the show's voice makes my ears bleed.

Katielondon
06-08-2006, 06:51 PM
i think Nip/Tuck has been my favorite show since it started.

Pygmalion
07-08-2006, 03:57 AM
i think Nip/Tuck has been my favorite show since it started.

yyyyyyyyyyes Nip/Tuck is awesome-its not on here anymore.

I really like "The Chaser's War On Everything" especially when that guy Chaz got arrested for selling fake weapons and ruffies to people going into a rugby game.

I HATE "Everybody Loves Raymond" and I have no idea why. I think its just one of those irrational things.

Swordsman
07-08-2006, 05:32 AM
I just bought the Boondocks the Complete First Season on DVD today after only seeing about 5 episodes. I am very happy i bought. It's just shot up to my favorite cartoon of all time. For serious.

runangl
07-08-2006, 06:02 AM
I HATE "Everybody Loves Raymond" and I have no idea why. I think its just one of those irrational things.
tis NOT irrational. i HATE that show as well. i seriously think it should be renamed "everybody hates raymond"

and WHY THE HELL did the WB put two episodes of i hate raymond over the good old two episodes of friends? friends could kick raymond's ass any day.

oh... and i love sex and the city. yah, it's over already - but it ended on a relatively good note, and SJP is seriously my hero. well as much as she can be without a bra =P

Hazzle
07-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Women, SATC and SJP. Is there a single bigger cliche in the whole world?

It's proof you lot should never be allowed to rule the world.

Everybody Hates Raymond is bad, but not THAT bad. Seinfeld's worse, I don't get what the hype about that show is. It's pretty piss poor.

On the "everybody hates" idea, Everybody Hates Chris is hilarious.

Pygmalion
08-08-2006, 03:52 AM
I agree that "Seinfeld" is worse than "Everybody Loves Raymond", but I know a lot of people who're obsessed with it.
I'm totally devo that they pulled the plug on "Wheel of Fortune" which was something my family could bond over (sad but true) and replaced it with re-runs of "Mash" which is a show I loathe.
On reality television, this lady I was sitting next to in the hairdressers used to tape "Big Brother Up Late" and watch it at her leisure during the day. GOD.

Mandy
13-08-2006, 06:22 PM
:bump:

Never mind the buzzcocks.

(Thanks to Ice's nifty skybox thingy)

MrPink
13-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Agree with Cliff bout QI, fucking awesome show. alan davies and stephen fry are awesome. thing is with that show is that i actually remember the facts that come out of it, no matter how needless. i also love a question of sport. as i'm a sporty guy and watch a lot of sport so it's really up my street.

I despise all forms of reality, from big brother to super fucking nanny. my mother isnists on wathcing them an i go fucking mental. what really annoys me about it is that they really arn't reality at all. the situations that these people are put in are just not real so how can it be a reality tv show. What you are doing when you are watching them is disturbing, think about it. how bored must u be to watch bored people? (big brother for example)

Hazzle
13-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Nevermind The Buzzcocks is hilarious.

Question of Sport is decent, but They Think It's All Over is better.

Digital_Ice
13-08-2006, 11:35 PM
you havn't watched telly until you've watched transatlanitic shows via Ice's msn sky feed (patent pending) :p

Mandy
13-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Nevermind The Buzzcocks is hilarious.

Thanks to Mark Lamar and Bill Bailey.

Hazzle
14-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Meh. It'd be better if MSN's webcam screen wasn't so tiny Ice ;)

Exactly Mandy.

Lamarr especially, as he's a bit of a knob on his radio show but he's excellent on TV.

Swordsman
19-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Anyone catch Metalocalypse on Adult Swim?

Fancyman
23-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Shows i am watching

Family guy (i know)
Treasure hunters was pretty good
America has tallent, fun at first boring real fast
Last Comic stantding, not the best season but fun

shows i like

survivor (fuck you)
reno 911
south park
others

random side note

i listened to insect nation twicw this past weekend

Renegade
23-08-2006, 04:43 AM
Was Prison Break's premiere yesterday? Ah crap, I hope I didn't miss it.

Swordsman
23-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Fuck yeah it was. I love that predictable ass show. I just watched the entire first season of Weeds. I liked it.