PDA

View Full Version : Green Day, guys ?

kennedy890
02-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Does anyone listen to Green Day here? I think they are very good.
Their older music is more in my taste, I'm not saying that American Idiot is bad... there are some good tunes there, yes...
I love their album Dookie. "Longview" is one of the best songs I've ever heard!

Theresia
x o x o x

Foeni
02-08-2006, 06:46 PM
No thanks. I think that the genre Green Day fit into, generally is shite.

Jacoby
02-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Their old stuff was okay, I used to listen to it about five years ago. Can't stand them anymore, though. Blatantly political music really bothers me. Seriously, they couldn't have thought of anything better than 'American Idiot'? Proving their own statement because they aren't clever enough to make a metaphor or something. I <3 America and American culture and all, but the British are much better at politically moving music. Except Bloc Party, their anti-American lyrics are really shitty and uninspired. The music is good though. A great example is the song Helicopter by Bloc Party, awesome music and sound, crappy political agenda lyrics.

DanMan
02-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Nice to listen to once in awhile if I want
to hear something a bit quirky... (variety):icon_beer

Digital_Ice
02-08-2006, 08:08 PM
dookie was great... now they are far too much like every other band.

Swordsman
03-08-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm always down for Dookie but pretty much anything else can suck it.

kingdumbass
03-08-2006, 01:13 AM
I always liked Green Day....
Nimrod is actually my favorite album from them, followed by Warning, and then Kerplunk.

deviljet88
03-08-2006, 07:36 AM
I only have Dookie, OK for the occasional punking out mood but that's about it.

Hazzle
03-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I'll get slagged off and begin a flame war if I express my views so I shant.

Swordsman
03-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Meh, i doubt anyone will actually strongly back up Green Day.

Hazzle
03-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Heh. You mean like I was going to before I realised it'd start WW3?

Liam
03-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I'll defend their older material.

But if I want to listen to political music I'll take Rage Against the Machine.

Hazzle
03-08-2006, 10:57 AM
I'd like to take a moment to say Liam is the dog's bollocks.

Digital_Ice
03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
ratm, now theres a good band.

DanMan
03-08-2006, 07:13 PM
er...was Digital. Half the band RATM is now in Audioslave.

Steve84
03-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I like old greenday. Welcome to paradise, hitching a ride etc.

American Idiot.. nah.. they can't do political at all..

J.R.
04-08-2006, 02:56 AM
I like some of there songs like "Waiting" and "Minority" but outside of that, I think that there a pretty average band that everybody at my school seems to love.

Swordsman
04-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Green Day can't even be described as political music. I'd go with the Minutemen, Fugazi, or Latterman.

GoPre
04-08-2006, 03:43 AM
Dookie= one of the best albums ever made
american idiot= one of the worst albums ever made

Hazzle
04-08-2006, 09:00 AM
er...was Digital. Half the band RATM is now in Audioslave.

Their music's still around. Which is what I think Ice was referring to.

And I believe you mean 3/4s since only Zach left RATM and they replaced him with the legendary Chris Cornell. In fact I think Audioslave are an amazing band in their own right, possibly better than RATM because of the variety that Cornell brings. I mean Cochise is very old-school RATM and stuff like Like a Stone or Be Yourself are much more like Soundgarden.

As for Green Day, I'd defend American Idiot but noone will agree with me so I won't.

Swordsman
05-08-2006, 01:02 AM
I really dislike Audioslave, just not very...good.

I'd defend American Idiot a little. It was something different from them, and i personally think for something new it was alright.

Hazzle
05-08-2006, 07:37 AM
I really dislike Audioslave, just not very...good.

So so wrong. Did you not like Soundgarden or something? It sure would explain a lot.

I'd defend American Idiot a little. It was something different from them, and i personally think for something new it was alright.

My thoughts on it exactly. The title track really was weak, but the rest was ok.

Swordsman
05-08-2006, 07:42 AM
So so wrong. Did you not like Soundgarden or something? It sure would explain a lot.

No, i like RATM and Soundgarden, but Audioslave is just...not as good. I listened to the whole album a while ago and just was bored. That single "Like A Stone" is really the only thing i remember and it just seemed like such a lazy song. They could all be sounding so much more interesting,but instead everyone's just hitting 3 notes.

deviljet88
05-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Hmm... their old album was good but I like their new one more. Not a popular stance but I'm generally more into the mood of them rocking out on Out Of Exile, not the slower, 'lazy' stuff demonstrated on the self-titled.

Hazzle
05-08-2006, 08:07 AM
I think the first album suffered from the fact that it's hard enough when you lose a front man and replace him with someone new. When that "someone new" came from a band as HUGE as Soundgarden, it's even harder, as the band and Cornell have their own styles, musically and lyrically (RATM were all about hard powerful music with hard polical lyrics, Soundgarden were non-political and more Grungey) and it takes a while to mesh. That's why the second album works better.

Cochise is the best song on the first album though.

KingForADay
07-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Green Days best albums are warning and dookie, but there are more green day fans who know the words to songs in american idiot than previous albums so american idiot must be one of the best because its the album that got them famous. :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf

As for Green Day, I'd defend American Idiot but noone will agree with me so I won't.

Jacoby
07-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Green Days best albums are warning and dookie, but there are more green day fans who know the words to songs in american idiot than previous albums so american idiot must be one of the best because its the album that got them famous. :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf

It just means it's the most marketable, not the best. Whatever the radio plays becomes the favorites of most the people who listen. It's sick.

GoPre
07-08-2006, 05:23 PM

lol, what are you talking about?

Green Day was famous way before ai.

runangl
07-08-2006, 05:47 PM
who cares if they're famous or not? the way i look at it... most bands seem to go downhill the more famous they become. and just b/c green day has a crowd of fanboy/girl bandwagon jumpers screaming along with american idiot doesn't mean they're any better than they were before. most of them don't even realize what they're singing about - pathetic.

did i mention i hate bandwagon jumpers?

Swordsman
07-08-2006, 10:57 PM
who cares if they're famous or not? the way i look at it... most bands seem to go downhill the more famous they become. and just b/c green day has a crowd of fanboy/girl bandwagon jumpers screaming along with american idiot doesn't mean they're any better than they were before. most of them don't even realize what they're singing about - pathetic.

did i mention i hate bandwagon jumpers?

I fucking hate those people. The bitches that make them sound so much better than they are.

GoPre
07-08-2006, 11:02 PM
I fucking hate those people. The bitches that make them sound so much better than they are.

lol, why do you care?

Swordsman
07-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Because eventually, once that group gets big enough, those are the people that end up being the reason why the music gets overrated. Those kids just bug me. They start coming to the shows because they heard the one sing along song on myspace and so they tell all their dumb little friends and then you have a bunch of kids saying that this band is better than that band at a show. Generally the shows around here never hold up with the same genre, so you get a nice mix of punk, grindcore, or just the one dude with a guitar. When those kids come to the shows and just talk about the one band with the goddamn sing along and keep telling you that they're better than that band, i get pissed. I just hate the little scene bitches. Because that's what bandwagon kids are scene bitches.

GoPre
08-08-2006, 04:05 AM
Because eventually, once that group gets big enough, those are the people that end up being the reason why the music gets overrated. Those kids just bug me. They start coming to the shows because they heard the one sing along song on myspace and so they tell all their dumb little friends and then you have a bunch of kids saying that this band is better than that band at a show. Generally the shows around here never hold up with the same genre, so you get a nice mix of punk, grindcore, or just the one dude with a guitar. When those kids come to the shows and just talk about the one band with the goddamn sing along and keep telling you that they're better than that band, i get pissed. I just hate the little scene bitches. Because that's what bandwagon kids are scene bitches.

Just ignore them, thats what I do.