PDA

View Full Version : Oi! English Football Fans...

hasselbrad
24-07-2006, 10:30 PM
...I need your help.
I am in the process of deciding on which English football team (holy shit...did he just say football instead of soccer?) I shall pull for.
Chances are, it will be a team in the Premiership...but elite status is not a requirement.
What is required, however, is that they play football in England. And, when attempting to influence my choice, you must only extol the virtues of your favorite club. Poor-mouthing other clubs will count against you.
When I was a wee lad, I rooted for the Tampa Bay Rowdies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Rowdies) of the NASL. Got to see Rodney Marsh (Fulham anyone?) play and even attended Camp Kickinthegrass.
As for other teams I have rooted for in other sports, I am anything but a front-runner.
I was the only Alabama Crimson Tide (http://www.rolltide.com/) fan in my junior high/high school years. Those were lean times, and I was surrounded by fans who cheered for their native state (Florida) universities. For those who might not know, Alabama has a long standing tradition of winning (12 National Championships in American college football) but has been through a rough decade recently.
Likewise, I have been a Tampa Bay Buccaneer (http://www.buccaneers.com/) fan since 1976. Not exactly a proud history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers) of winning when you start of 0-26 (not getting beaten by twenty six points...losing twenty six games in a row) and then go a decade and a half without posting a winning season, all while sporting the most homogay winking pirate mascot and team colors that earned the nickname "creamsicle".
Convince me of your team's worthiness of my support. There might even be a small gift involving said team involved. Go...go...go.

Hazzle
24-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Some guy from ESPN did something similar and ended up choosing Spurs. Heh.

Trying to persuade you support any team would be stupid. The truth is, you don't choose your team, they choose you. So watch as much as you can, and you will see a team that jumps out at you. That's the one, the one that plucks on your heartstrings and makes you feel part of them.

hasselbrad
24-07-2006, 11:39 PM
But there's the element of passion amongst the fans that gets lost in translation on television. I want to read impassioned reasons why someone's team is the best. I want to know what you folks are chanting (which means I'll probably have to look the other way as far as the "poor-mouthing" goes) in the stands. I want to know what sorts of things go on outside of the stadium before the game. What sort of cool pubs do you knock back a few pints in before going into the stadium?

Hazzle
24-07-2006, 11:55 PM
You know where my bias lies. Arsenal, the most successful club in London with 13 league titles and 10 FA Cups. Only Manchester United (15 league titles, 11 FA Cups) and Liverpool (18 League titles and 7 FA Cups) boast comparable domestic records. Whilst the other two have got European success you should weigh up the chances of you ending up visiting Manchester or Liverpool (probably not very high) against London (probably slightly higher) and therefore the likelihood of you getting to see a live game.

Speaking of live games we have just built the best stadium in the country (Emirates Stadium is its official name but I prefer Ashburton Grove, which is the name of the site). Thanks to that we finally have the financial clout to match the other two giants of the English game (who have always been richer than us). Also our club is synonymous with class; our old ground had marble halls and was the first to have underfloor heating in the dressing rooms. We always hold ourselves with class that no other club can boast.

Songs are really virtually the same wherever you go. For every "Stand up if you hate Tottenham" by an Arsenal fan there'll be a "Stand up if you hate Arsenal" by Spurs fans. It's much of a muchness. The Dennis Bergkamp song is special to me because he was a great player for us but it'll mean nothing to you. Same with why we sing "We only win one-nil". Without knowing the history that sounds like a shit song. But one thing I will say about our songs, we love irony. That's why despite the Spurs fans calling us "Gooners" as an insult, we took it on as our nickname. When people sing "Same old Arsenal, always cheating" we tend to sing back "Same old Arsenal, always winning."

As for the pub, for me it's always The Gunners before a game, The World's End after, although I might be changing because of the new ground. Lots of pubs that're closer.

This is all for information only though. I'm not selling my club to you. I don't want you to support Arsenal because of what I said. I meant what I said, it's a calling, not a choice.

KingForADay
25-07-2006, 10:00 AM
I support liverpool and cheltenham town (The Robins) they have just won a match that means that they will go into a better leage, but I dont know wich one:) :icon_popc :)

hasselbrad
25-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Cheltenham is a pretty good distance from Liverpool, no? Do you live in Cheltenham? I watch a fair amount of Liverpool on the T.V., since FSC seems to play more of their games than anyone else. Last night was a "Tottenham" classic. Of course, it was the same game against Liverpool that I saw when they were playing "Liverpool" classics. I like Harry Kewell...because his name is "Kewell". Peter Crouch is fun to watch because you're never quite sure he's going to manage to stay in one piece.

Hazzle
25-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Crouch is hilarious. Freak of nature. There were all sorts of photoshops of him going around because of this one pose where he looks fucked up.

Kewell's an Aussie. Reason enough not to support Liverpool :p

Actually they're not too bad. Better than Spurs, Man U or Chelsea.

KingForADay
26-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Who? Liverpool or cheltenham?

Liverpool do have english players too though like Crouch and Gerrard

Does anyone know what happened to Dudek?

Scott
26-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Do we need to have a debate over this?
Middlesborough Football Club is the only team worthy of your support!
They have arguably 2 of the best Australian players. Mark Schwarzer defending the goals, and Socceroos Captain Mark Viduka at the other end trying to score.

GO BORO!

Hazzle
26-07-2006, 03:39 PM
By that argument Brad should support Fulham (actually there's a good shout).

He's seen Rodney Marsh (former Fulham legend) in the flesh, and Brian McBride and Bocanegro both play for Fulham. And being in London (a place he might actually visit, rather than a shithole like Liverpool or Middlesborough) that's a good call.

There Brad. Aren't I helpful? And I'm an Arsenal fan not a Fulham one!

hasselbrad
26-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Regarding Fulham, has there been some sort of falling out between them and Marsh? When I search the site, I can't find any references to him.

Hazzle
26-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Not that I know of but try asking on a website about it.

It probably has to do with the joke Marsh told that got him sacked from Sky Sports.

Why won't David Beckham join Newcastle? Because of what the Toon Army did in Asia."

Was a reference to the Tsunami and Beckham's stupidity. But the PC lot didn't like it and he was fired. I thought he was an excellent pundit and was sad to see him go.

Apparently he still has a home in Tampa and travels between there and London.

hasselbrad
26-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Not that I know of but try asking on a website about it.

It probably has to do with the joke Marsh told that got him sacked from Sky Sports.

Was a reference to the Tsunami and Beckham's stupidity.

Apparently he still has a home in Tampa and travels between there and London.

Yes...ol' Rodney's a riot.

His career with the national team was ended prematurely after he made a sarcastic comment to the then manager, Alf Ramsey. In a 2005 interview, Marsh stated that Ramsey told him ‘I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime," to which Marsh replied: ‘Christ, we only get a cup of tea and oranges at Fulham’. He was never selected for the England team again.

Hazzle
26-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Heh. Legend.