PDA

View Full Version : Honour Killings

Hazzle
16-07-2006, 04:25 PM
What's your take on them? Personally I think there's absolutely no honour in them at all and this report justifying them is quite abominable.

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=48963

A study by the Diyarbakır Bar Association Women's Rights Consultation Center showed that courts had accepted rape, rumors about cheating or simply walking around with men as mitigating factors in 46 of 59 "honor killing" cases in Diyarbakır courts between 1999 and 2005.Diyarbakır Bar Association Women's Rights Commission President Meral Danış Beştaş said 94 percent of those who committed the murders were men and 50 percent of those who were murdered were women. Beştaş said the judicial system and judges had failed to distance themselves from prevailing public perceptions. "Courts can't reach a decision free from the public mentality and the concept of honor."

Digital_Ice
16-07-2006, 04:28 PM
the only honourable kills are within the fictional constraints of WoW PvP. :p

all other "honour killings" are just strait murder. plain and simple.

Foeni
16-07-2006, 05:05 PM
What Ice said. I don't like calling them honour killings. Just killings. We've just had a sensational conviction in a case in Denmark. Not only was the killer convicted of murder, so was 8 others who'd ordered it, found the girl, drove the killer or helped in other ways. Don't know if you've heard of it. BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5128206.stm). That's the way to treat it as it often is the entire family planning and executing the murder.
What really seems very very stupid is, that while this is still fresh news, a new honour killing was tried (actually in the town I live in). Pretty stupid. Something about a brother denying his father's order to kill the daughter. GG, except the brother was beaten up rather severely.

EDIT: Nice with a interesting subject, we haven't had one for a while.

deviljet88
17-07-2006, 08:52 AM
That's wrong, simple. Just break up, stupid.

Hazzle
17-07-2006, 10:29 AM
It's not always because of infidelity though. In countries where Sharia law applies (and it's these countries where honour killings are legal) adultery is punishable by being stoned anyway (only women who commit it, of course. Men are allowed to.)

It's usually because of far more innocent things. Like being raped. That's great, you're the victim of a horrible crime committed against you, you've been violated in a way most people couldn't understand, and then to top it all off your father, brother or husband kills you for something that wasn't your fault. These women are victims.

And then there's killings because of muslim girls wanting to marry non-muslims. Or having pre-marital sex. Or being gay. Or even being seen with a man who's not your husband, brother or father. It's a never-ending list of narrow-minded attitudes.

I think in western countries we need to take a stand against these. Honour killings and racially motivated murders should both be punished by harsher punishments than normal murders. It would send out the message that there is no honour in them.

Katielondon
17-07-2006, 12:30 PM
some parts of that whole religion are just sick.

hasselbrad
17-07-2006, 12:33 PM
But it's a religion of peace.

deviljet88
17-07-2006, 01:21 PM
But it's a religion of peace.
Peace for people who don't sin, duh ^^ @Christianity: Thou shall not kill?

Hazzle
17-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Woah woah woah. Don't start on the religion. There's nothing actually wrong with the doctrines that're in the Koran, and nothing I said was against Islam. Please don't start getting racist as that's something we pride ourselves on not being at KKW.

I'm talking about radical Islam, which isn't the religion's fault, it's the fault of hardliners within it. It's no different to the right wing Christians who bomb abortion clinics.

hasselbrad
17-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Woah woah woah. Don't start on the religion. There's nothing actually wrong with the doctrines that're in the Koran, and nothing I said was against Islam. Please don't start getting racist as that's something we pride ourselves on not being at KKW.

I'm talking about radical Islam, which isn't the religion's fault, it's the fault of hardliners within it. It's no different to the right wing Christians who bomb abortion clinics.
Oh, I know. I was just being an ass.
Obviously, I'm against it.
I don't know...maybe not. I am rather pro-death, but I like there to be a solid reason for killing. You know, killing or raping another human being. I am willing to wager there won't be much action in the "pro" column on this issue...except for Flightfreak...you know, to cut CO2 emissions. :p